The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should Crowns be able to be bought using in game Gold?

TheZirex
TheZirex
✭✭✭
As the title already says, do you guys think whether Crowns should be able to be bought using in game currency like for example in Guild wars 2?
Edited by TheZirex on February 22, 2018 3:53PM

Should Crowns be able to be bought using in game Gold? 272 votes

Yes
28%
theskymovesjordanmarx_ESOGlassHalfFullGreevirSaucy_JackSkuas_ch_kb16_ESOAzuryaAimoraDatoliteflguy147ub17_ESOfalcasternub18_ESOjevans1342nub18_ESOAmericanSpyLinaleahDDemonHymzirKliffRobvenomVahrokh 78 votes
No
66%
SlayerSyrenadodgehopper_ESOSlurgOakmontowls_ESODeadlyRecluseAcrolasOziumdcam86b14_ESODarcyMardinHanokihsNemesis7884HrogunTurelusRebaubrey.baconb16_ESOAllPlayAndNoWorkkwisatzBleakravendennissomb16_ESOstatic_recharge 181 votes
Other
4%
MalthorneAhPook_Is_Heregreyloxredspecter23ThevampirenightCaineCarverLord_EomerKagetenchuPwoojosiahvaRPGplayer13579WakeYourGhostLunaugh 13 votes
  • Reedx
    Reedx
    ✭✭✭
    No
    What would be the point of crowns in the first place if you can spend gold on them? lol

Crowns exist so zeni can make a bigger profit of the game and continue to make new content
    Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I guess it can potentially bust the whole in-game economy...
  • TheZirex
    TheZirex
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Whitebeerd wrote: »
    What would be the point of crowns in the first place if you can spend gold on them? lol

Crowns exist so zeni can make a bigger profit of the game and continue to make new content

Ofcourse it wouldnt be 1 gold for 1 crown, it would be a ton and it would cause less people to whine about crown store items being too expensive (imo they sorta are) and it would give gold a little more use, atleast for me I usually end up giving my gold away because I already have mostly everything I wanted.

And people are always gonna be buying crowns.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Business wise, that would hurt ZOS.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Kiralyn2000
      Kiralyn2000
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      The only reason cash-currency/in-game-currency exchanges work in Star Trek Online and Secret World Legends is because the in-game currency they work with is limited in how much you produce a day (Refined Dilithium and Marks Of Favor respectively).

Doing an exchange with Gold, when there are people in-game who struggle to get 50k and others who get millions a week? Total disaster.

disclaimer - I've no idea how Guild Wars does it, but if it's for an infinitely-farmable currency, I'd assume there's rampant inflation of the exchange rate that prices "average" players out of buying any cash currency.
    • Reedx
      Reedx
      ✭✭✭
      No
      TheZirex wrote: »

Ofcourse it wouldnt be 1 gold for 1 crown, it would be a ton and it would cause less people to whine about crown store items being too expensive (imo they sorta are) and it would give gold a little more use, atleast for me I usually end up giving my gold away because I already have mostly everything I wanted.

you give gold away? xD if i ever saw a lie then thats one

Most of the things you can buy on crown store you can trade/find in-game, only thing you have to buy is dlc and thats is only fair, zeni wouldt be able to sell dlc if fans just used gold

What would you even buy with crowns if you have that mutch gold on you?

And crowns also exist so hardcore fans can support the team even more or its used for those who dont have the time to grind for certain skins/styles because they are busy working in rl so they have the money to spend on crowns, so no just no not gonna happen mate

And the only ppl who whine about crown store are kids who dont earn cash and have to ask their mom for cash

Edited by Reedx on February 22, 2018 4:20PM
      Maker of Drama & Lover of Roleplay
    • TheZirex
      TheZirex
      ✭✭✭
      Yes
      TheZirex wrote: »

you give gold away? xD if i ever saw a lie then thats one

Most of the things you can buy on crown store you can trade/find in-game, only thing you have to buy is dlc and thats is only fair, zeni wouldt be able to sell dlc if fans just used gold

What would you even buy with crowns if you have that mutch gold on you?

And crowns also exist so hardcore fans can support the team even more or its used for those who dont have the time to grind for certain skins/styles because they are busy working in rl so they have the money to spend on crowns, so no just no not gonna happen mate

What? How do you know whether I'm lying, you don't know me..

And you're right, I also think you shouldnt be able to use gold to buy dlcs and such.

• SlayerSyrena
      SlayerSyrena
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      No. Because that'd make no sense. The purchase of Crowns are how ESO stays alive.
      Ebonheart Pact
      All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
      Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
      Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
      Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
      Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
      Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
      Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
      Aldmeri Dominion
      Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
      Daggerfall Covenant
      S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
      Guest on first ESO Live
      My ESO fan art and comics
    • Juju_beans
      Juju_beans
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      I'm assuming here that buying crowns for real $$$ is how zos makes revenue off this game.

• dennissomb16_ESO
      dennissomb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      The explosion of bots and gold sellers would be incredible
    • jcaceresw
      jcaceresw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Probably it will be a good use of gold removal within the game like the houses and manors.
    • RexyCat
      RexyCat
      ✭✭✭✭
      The only reason cash-currency/in-game-currency exchanges work in Star Trek Online and Secret World Legends is because the in-game currency they work with is limited in how much you produce a day (Refined Dilithium and Marks Of Favor respectively).

Doing an exchange with Gold, when there are people in-game who struggle to get 50k and others who get millions a week? Total disaster.

disclaimer - I've no idea how Guild Wars does it, but if it's for an infinitely-farmable currency, I'd assume there's rampant inflation of the exchange rate that prices "average" players out of buying any cash currency.

In Guild Wars 2 there is actually an exchange market, meaning that each day the value for Gem vs Gold changes. In the end it is Arena which control what kind of course it will be and what each item will cost in Gems. You do also pay different fees while using Gold.

Don't forget that in GW2 there is also a central auction house which work together within this system.

My take on this suggestion is that botters would have a much larger impact if they could just farm Gold and exchange it into Crowns. Botters selling Gold have been a problem in that game and chat can sometime be overflowed by sellers until they have been reported and removed from chat and game.

I believe that the way Zenimax have done it in this game work better to keep in game Gold from becoming harder to acquire for beginners as well as long time player (especially those player that just play on and off). Prices are also rather stable in ESO as those aren't effected by any secondary market (from exchange market) and changes in market take more time as it is not possible to impact whole market the same way as in GW2 through AH. Another thing is that Gold for Gem is making it more attractive to sell accounts on the black market for real money.

To be precise: No I don't wish that ESO make it possible to turn Gold into Crowns as it would mean that all Gold transaction would now have a fee (to control market from Zenimax) and even with Gold to Crowns items would still be out of reach for average players to purchase in Crown store with higher prices in Crowns or they would have to spend a lot of time just to farm Gold. Just think how Crowns now can be used to buy houses, DLC and other things like Crown Crates. Crowns would need a rework and it is a lot of work just to maybe let some more player to purchase items with Gold instead of real money.

[Business arguments some people use here above in this thread is actually irrelevant as in the end it is Zenimax that controls both Gold to Crowns value (plus they can add fees on all transactions) AND what each time would cost in Crown store or any other system to regulate market. They wouldn't loose money, but they would add another layer which need checks and balances to work.]
    • RexyCat
      RexyCat
      ✭✭✭✭
      RexyCat wrote: »

In Guild Wars 2 there is actually an exchange market, meaning that each day the value for Gem vs Gold changes. In the end it is Arena which control what kind of course it will be and what each item will cost in Gems. You do also pay different fees while using Gold.

Don't forget that in GW2 there is also a central auction house which work together within this system and a big whooping toilet (Mystic Forge: Percursor Weapon - where you virtually drain Gold of market). We don't have that much of MF features to drain in game token/gold in this game which I appreciate.

My take on this suggestion is that botters would have a much larger impact if they could just farm Gold and exchange it into Crowns. Botters selling Gold have been a problem in that game and chat can sometime be overflowed by sellers until they have been reported and removed from chat and game.

I believe that the way Zenimax have done it in this game work better to keep in game Gold from becoming harder to acquire for beginners as well as long time player (especially those player that just play on and off). Prices are also rather stable in ESO as those aren't effected by any secondary market (from exchange market) and changes in market take more time as it is not possible to impact whole market the same way as in GW2 through AH. Another thing is that Gold for Gem is making it more attractive to sell accounts on the black market for real money.

To be precise: No I don't wish that ESO make it possible to turn Gold into Crowns as it would mean that all Gold transaction would now have a fee (to control market from Zenimax) and even with Gold to Crowns items would still be out of reach for average players to purchase in Crown store with higher prices in Crowns or they would have to spend a lot of time just to farm Gold. Just think how Crowns now can be used to buy houses, DLC and other things like Crown Crates. Crowns would need a rework and it is a lot of work just to maybe let some more player to purchase items with Gold instead of real money.

[Business arguments some people use here above in this thread is actually irrelevant as in the end it is Zenimax that controls both Gold to Crowns value (plus they can add fees on all transactions) AND what each time would cost in Crown store or any other system to regulate market. They wouldn't loose money, but they would add another layer which need checks and balances to work.]

• TheZirex
      TheZirex
      ✭✭✭
      Yes
      RexyCat wrote: »

Don't forget that in GW2 there is also a central auction house which work together within this system.

Thank you for actually giving a solid argument
    • xbobx
      xbobx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      i would like to be able to buy gold with crowns to be honest.
    • Datolite
      Datolite
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I would normally say no, because of how it can mess with the economy and basically be P2W (if people are selling crowns to become more powerful) but in ESO nothing really costs that much. A legendary set is like 250k, a couple of weeks grinding tops, and not exactly a huge power jump. Also the more meaningful accomplishments can't be bought with gold (vMA and trials rewards, titles, event rewards, etc.) Stuff that isn't already available for crowns anyway. I would be behind this if it was implemented with care.
    • Inhuman003
      Inhuman003
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I meant to put other, We should have Taskmaster to let us earn crowns for the difficulty I post this before Taskmaster.
        List of Taskmaster
      • kill 100 enemies
      • 3 dungeon
      • 2 Trials
      • 5 quest

Here's the link
      https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/369096/should-we-have-task-master-in-game#latest
      Edited by Inhuman003 on February 22, 2018 5:20PM
    • AhPook_Is_Here
      AhPook_Is_Here
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Other
      You could just make them trade-able and then people could swap rare non-bop gear or crafting mats for crowns, gold or whatever.
      “Whatever.”
      -Unknown American
    • josiahva
      josiahva
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Other
      Pay To Win!!(Just thought I would do the standard response to this type of thread)
    • coop500
      coop500
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      No
      Would I personally love that? of course I would

But I also know in the long run, or even not so long, it'd be terrible for the game community.

People are why we can't have nice things.
      Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
    • Cadbury
      Cadbury
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      coop500 wrote: »
      People are why we can't have nice things.

/thread
      "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    • QuebraRegra
      QuebraRegra
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      Three ideas...

To appear "fair" ZOS should permit the purchase of "x" amount of crowns using in game gold (capped for a period?).

To allow ZOS to gain further revenue, they should consider selling in game gold for cash/crowns (maybe P2W?, perhaps capped for a duration?)

Some other MMOs have an exchange market where players can trade real money (or a premium currency ie. crowns, for a standard in game currency.. see PERFECT WORLD).

ZOS can make huge money anytime they want... they can offer the entirety of what the crown store has featured for a period of time on a regular basis (quarterly?). There are a lot of sales NOT happeneing because of the BS crown store "schedule". Sure, there's some nonsense about the "excusivity" of certain items as they are "limited time" offerings, but this is far outweighed by the overall continuous sales they would see.

Allow me to provide an example:
      - Joe Schmoe stumbles into ESO via some free to play days, or otherwise buys the game. Joe Schmoe is initially taken with the game, and like a good "whale" spends some money on a few CROWN STORE items. The gleam of ESO quickly fades and Joe Schmoe quits to never return (or at least not soon). Had ZOS offered EVERYTHING in teh SCROWN STORE full period, Joe Schmoe might have (liek a good little whale) loaded up on EVERYTHING, and in doing so, might have felt more invested in teh game and might not have quit. Multiply "Joe Schmoe" by teh advertised "10 million" players, and that's a lot of money left on the table for content already developed by ZOS. Management stupidity IMHO.

When you milk a cow, you should do so thoroughly. ;)

Sure keep a few EVENT items on a regular well advertised rotating cycle, but for the most part let the suckers (I'm one BTW) buy EVERYTHING. What ZOS no like money?

Further, every-time there's significant an outcry on the forums for some cosmetic... ZOS should make and sell it if it's easy to do (can you say hide vampire appearance?). I'd advise ZOS to immediately convert ALL disguises to COSTUMES or POLYMORPHS.. and sell them There, now that I've done the job for the ZOS monetizing team, I'm done. No thanks necessary ;)
      Edited by QuebraRegra on February 22, 2018 5:41PM
    • redspecter23
      redspecter23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Other
      I don't think crowns should be available for in game gold, but I'm not against perhaps some crown crate items being tradeable in game. ZOS still gets the sale of the crate to somebody so they make their money but a duplicate or maybe an apex mount you have little interest in could be swapped with other players for gold or another crate item you might want more. It would lessen the negative impact of getting "trashy" items because you could always trade it to someone that likes that sort of thing more than you do.
    • CaineCarver
      CaineCarver
      ✭✭✭
      Other
      YES

At a rate of 250,000 gold for 1 crown. Nothing more or nothing less.
    • Sevn
      Sevn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes
      I voted yes, but after reading some well written posts against this I'm going to go with other. Meaning I'd like the ability to EARN crowns in-game. I'd expect a daily limit and wouldn't expect to earn much, but it would be nice.
      There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
      -Hemingway
    • neverwalk
      neverwalk
      ✭✭✭✭
      No
      real money for crowns makes game bigger and more content.
    • SisterGoat
      SisterGoat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      I don't want to see ESO turn into an Asian style game, it would bring in SO many botters.
      Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
      Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
      Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
      PC/NA
    • Slurg
      Slurg
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No
      That would cause more problems than it would solve.

I could see a better case for making some vanity items(costumes, pets, accessories) available for purchase with gold, though. Option to purchase with gold or with crowns, like housing.
      Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
      Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    • Kiralyn2000
      Kiralyn2000
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No
      Just a note: "exchanging" vs "earning" Crowns

The games that I'm aware of that have an in-game exchange between game currency and cash currency, it's just that - an exchange. Players trade gold/etc to other players for Crowns that have been bought for $. Which means that every Crown in circulation, still came from giving real money to the company. So there's no "but the game needs the $ to survive!", because $ is still being spent for every Crown.

"I want to earn Crowns in-game!", on the other hand, wouldn't give ZOS any money - those Crowns would be generated out of thin air by the player doing in-game things. So this is a worse idea for the game overall. Ditto with "buying" Crowns from the game for gold.

That said, I still wouldn't want to see Crowns exchanged for gold... as I mentioned earlier, systems like that don't work with infinitely-grindable currencies. There has to be some kind of limit or control on it, otherwise it just gets out of hand.

Star Trek Online, for instance. You can earn "unrefined Dilithium" from all sorts of activities in-game. But you can only refine 8000 a day, per character. You could play lots on a weekend, get more than 8000 unrefined, and then refine the rest on days you don't play as much, for ex. This helps the supply of refined Dil not rise too quickly, so the exchange rate between Dil and Zen doesn't inflate out of control.

Secret World Legends takes a more "f2p"/mobile-game approach, in that they let you earn 10k (12k if subbed) Marks Of Favor every day for a set of repetitive daily tasks. And Marks are also used in the auction house, so you can get more of them, but again - only from other players. Plus, the auction takes a cut. Again, this limits the overall supply of the currency & keeps the exchange rate from exploding.

Both games, of course, have plenty of other things to spend Dil or Marks on, so that there's a reason a player might want to exchange their cash currency for them.
      Edited by Kiralyn2000 on February 22, 2018 8:25PM
    • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
      FLuFFyxMuFFiN
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes
      Yes but only with "Crown Gold". A new currency that can be purchased with either Crowns, Crown Gems, or real money. "Crown Gold" can be only used to purchase Crowns from the new Crown Vendor, and Pacrooti's older cousin, Cutie Pacrooti.