The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

@Zos think it over. Looted chests/nodes

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, ZoS went as far as to say the mechanic is intended. The race to the chest or other node, leaving things behind, all of it.

Apparently, feeling excited over bad things makes the game just as exciting as good things?

• Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This typically doesn't bother me because I usually won't even loot a chest unless it's a master or in a zone with valuable sets. Since nothing valuable drops in craglorn chests where I do most of my farming it's no big deal. On the rare occasion I'll end up on a farming path directly behind a guy leaving worms/regulus whatever in a million nodes and that can be kind of annoying.
  • Beamer_Miasma
    Beamer_Miasma
    ✭✭✭
    This is an imaginary problem. I farm thousands of nodes each and every week in all zones and if I find 5 of them in a whole week that have been half looted, it is a lot. If you can't stand noob behaviour, then stop farming in the noobie zones. Beyond the starter zones this 'problem' barely even exists.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an imaginary problem. I farm thousands of nodes each and every week in all zones and if I find 5 of them in a whole week that have been half looted, it is a lot. If you can't stand noob behaviour, then stop farming in the noobie zones. Beyond the starter zones this 'problem' barely even exists.

Oh I have found my fair share of chests containing 1 lock pick in high level areas.

Newbies would loot everything cause they need the gold.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

I know someone's gonna come in here and be like "not all of us have ESO plus!" Well that isn't a reason for you to inconvenience other players Buy some bag space upgrades with gold and grab those worms next time. This has always been something that really grinds my gears.

so its bad if they inconvenience you, but its ok for them to be inconvenienced having to deal with loot they dont want.
    i see.

Yes, because they're the ones getting the the primary loot from the chest. So, if you get the perks of getting the first crack at it, then you should also bear the burden of cleaning the thing out.

Except it's not always the case. On the occasion I've done this, I've often left some very nice set pieces and taken only the style stone or the mat/bait. In such a case, I'd rather leave the good set piece (and I'm only referring to set pieces, not trash pieces) for someone to pick up (even if they choose to destroy it) vice forcing the despawn by destroying it myself.

Full inventory is full inventory. Would you rather someone destroy a guaranteed good item in hopes that the next spawn would be equally good, or would you rather they (only) take the very things most are complaining about getting left behind?

I realize this is probably the exception, more than the rule, but in either case, I still don't see it as game breaking.

Not like there are limited nodes/chests in an entire zone.

There are, in fact. Only a certain number of chests will spawn simultaneously in a zone. So long as you leave a chest up, you are in fact reducing the supply for that zone.

The same behavior applies for Thieves Caches.

Also, no offense, but I don't want your level 23 green Mother's Sorrow ring. I'm sure it would make someone's day, but the odds of them finding the chest are basically nil.

You are assuming that the respawn and despawn timer can't coexist for the same node, and I am not sure how you can know that for certain.

ie, loot chest, leave something behind, wait 5 minutes for despawn, wait another 5 minutes for respawn.
    Compared to loot chest fully, wait 5 minutes for respawn.

But it could also be: loot chest fully or otherwise, respawn timer and despawn timer begin at 5 minutes in parallel.

Really can't tell for sure without monitoring every single node in a zone (lol) or ZoS comes by and tells us how it works.
  • RobZha
    RobZha
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a chest left with 1 item in it earlier and laughed thinking of this thread instantly. It's not the despawn/respawn thing that gets me with that though, it's thinking there's a new chest and then finding that it's a used one instead.

Not sure about the 5 min respawn thing either. Stayed around in an area of Grahtwood where I think I know most of the spawn points (not meaning all of Grahtwood, am thinking that the spawning/rotation is confined to sets of chests in different areas of each zone though.) and saw nothing for quite a while as I checked back, some players might have had them spawn and looted them before I got back though so not sure.
    Edited by RobZha on February 21, 2018 8:41PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have eso in background on computer and loot and half loot some area few visit or even better have in on another screen this will be easy to spot. Even better to do this at slow hours.
    point is not only despaning but also respawning.
    Only annoying this if you detour or dismount for an worm.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know someone's gonna come in here and be like "not all of us have ESO plus!" Well that isn't a reason for you to inconvenience other players Buy some bag space upgrades with gold and grab those worms next time. This has always been something that really grinds my gears.

so its bad if they inconvenience you, but its ok for them to be inconvenienced having to deal with loot they dont want.
    i see.

Seriously? This reads like someone who takes a dump in a public bathroom and doesn't bother flushing, stinking up the place until someone else comes along and cleans up behind your lazy a**.

It is rude behavior and there is no excuse for it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    I am not sure how you can know that for certain.

I've seen how the system behaves when patches have broken it horrifically. I mean, I'll grant you, there's some information I can't give you. I can't tell you with absolute certainty what the respawn time is. Though ~5m is roughly in line with what I remember seeing back when the population cap was bugged.

I can't tell you exactly what the population limit is for a zone. I can tell you the despawn timer is long, and I'm reasonably certain it interferes with re-spawning new chests, based on some experimentation on Gold Kenarthi's Roost a couple years ago. Note, "reasonably certain." Not, "absolutely certain."

Fun Trivia: Back before the Banker, I did actually have to do some running to stow a treasure map so I could come back and clear out a chest on Gold Kenarthi's Roost. Think about that for a second. A full run to Mistrial and back, before it despawned.

Also, playing in Silver and Gold back in the day... especially in Silver, was very instructive on how these systems work. Often you'd be one of a handful in a zone, and you can learn a lot from running around the starter islands when there's no one around.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »
    The respawn timer is the same same whether you take everything or leave something inside and starts the moment you either open or close the node (I didn't test whether it's opening or closing). I've tested in on multiple occasions. You can test that yourself. You just need a remote location and 15 minutes at most.

It's annoying though. You make your way only to find a bunch of worms or a low level ring.

see, this is the same answer we got last time this topic came up yet jerks still whine about it, are rude to players in chat and the forums for suggesting that its fine. They people like apache_kid still demand other people inconvenience themselves to suit him.

If i have bag space, i take it all and sell stuff i dont want. but i dont have an issue leaving stuff if my bags are full.

to apache_kid - be grateful if anyone leaves you anything at all. because one of the other choices is to leave you nothing.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    i see.[/quote

We all have to deal with loot we do not want. It's an inconvenience for everyone.

No. It's gold for me. Many players only want the most valuable stuff....then they buy the small stuff later.
    I know nutting....
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There' no way you don't know your inventory is full when you go up to a chest to cherry-pick it. You consciously open it, knowing you can't take it all, so it's ALL on YOU, for being rude and inconsiderate.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There' no way you don't know your inventory is full when you go up to a chest to cherry-pick it. You consciously open it, knowing you can't take it all, so it's ALL on YOU, for being rude and inconsiderate.

i must have missed all those alerts coming up flashing the screen telling me my bags are full when i finish looting something. otherwise id have to sit there and open my bags every time i loot something. i have better things to do with my time.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i must have missed all those alerts coming up flashing the screen telling me my bags are full when i finish looting something. otherwise id have to sit there and open my bags every time i loot something. i have better things to do with my time.

Well since time is important to you, what about the time it wastes for someone to find a chest, then find out its been looted? Do their time not matter, just yours?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see.

If you don't have the bag space, DELETE something inconsequential. Like the stolen Lockpicks from that Thieves Trove... oh wait, you left them as well, didn't you?

Edited by LadyLethalla on February 22, 2018 5:15AM
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes you think your time is more valuable than another's? We all have better things to do with our time than cleaning up after inconsiderate people with poor manners.

"Who left this nasty dump in the toilet?
    That was me!
    Why didn't you flush?
    Got better things to do with my time. "

Bet you don't even wash your hands lol.
    Edited by Sevn on February 22, 2018 5:58AM
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »
    The respawn timer is the same same whether you take everything or leave something inside and starts the moment you either open or close the node (I didn't test whether it's opening or closing). I've tested in on multiple occasions. You can test that yourself. You just need a remote location and 15 minutes at most.

It's annoying though. You make your way only to find a bunch of worms or a low level ring.

see, this is the same answer we got last time this topic came up yet jerks still whine about it, are rude to players in chat and the forums for suggesting that its fine. They people like apache_kid still demand other people inconvenience themselves to suit him.

If i have bag space, i take it all and sell stuff i dont want. but i dont have an issue leaving stuff if my bags are full.

to apache_kid - be grateful if anyone leaves you anything at all. because one of the other choices is to leave you nothing.

LOL oh man please don't forget the @ next time my dude.

Look, there are so many ways to take care of your inventory that there is no excuse for not taking everything. Taking raw silk and leaving bait is straight up rude no matter which way you cut it. I'm not going to be "grateful" that you left me your scraps.

I don't want your stinky white superb glyph of shock or whatever YOU deem as trash or not important enough for your bag space.

My advice would be to farm some gold and upgrade that bag space brother. If you farm some gold IRL you can get ESO+ and stop making everyone else be miserable like yourself. If you don't believe in subscriptions there is a merchant you can get for a one time fee. Don't want to spend any money? Find one of the traveling NPC merchants constantly roaming the zones or go to a local village. Don't wana do that? Send some stuff to a friend and have he/she return to sender.

I'm not demanding anyone inconvenience themselves for my own sake. I'm asking that you and every other person who does this to be courteous to other players by not passing your inconvenience on to them. Don't make yourself out to be the victim here because you're not. You're the offender.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »

Seriously? This reads like someone who takes a dump in a public bathroom and doesn't bother flushing, stinking up the place until someone else comes along and cleans up behind your lazy a**.

It is rude behavior and there is no excuse for it.

crap on about it more why dont you. thats not even remotely close to the same thing. unless im understanding you incorrectly and you are on the side of the person not flushing. in which case your analogy is still pretty damn stupid.

i dont have to do jack for anyone else when it comes to looting nodes and chests. That means i take what i want and if i dont want to deal with any items still there, i dont have to do so. its not my job to deal with items i dont want, so that you dont have to. For you to expect that i should spend my time doing this for you is arrogant and quite frankly, the rude people here are you guys. other players are not your servants or slaves, even if they are khajits.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see.[/quote

We all have to deal with loot we do not want. It's an inconvenience for everyone.

Nope its just matter of player. I have dustman and merchant assistant. I can grind and farm nodes for hours without even showing at city, its just like two clicks to clean up my inventory.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well since time is important to you, what about the time it wastes for someone to find a chest, then find out its been looted? Do their time not matter, just yours?

to me, your time is irrelevant. just like to you, mine is. i have no issue with this. why do you?

What makes you think your time is more valuable than another's? We all have better things to do with our time than cleaning up after inconsiderate people with poor manners.

what makes you think i should spend my time helping you? my time is more valuable to me. like yours is to you. Thats a pretty stupid point you were trying to make.

Tell you arrogant people what, i'll make you a deal. You pay me for everytime i have to throw something out just to totally loot something, and i'll do it. Thats my time im spending doing stuff for you, not me. So why dont you pay for it. i bet you wont, because you want us to do your work for you, for free. i have two words for you, first one starts with F.

your whole argument is that you are more important than everyone else. You have no other argument to make. Well if thats the case, you can start paying for the privilege.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

to me, your time is irrelevant. just like to you, mine is. i have no issue with this. why do you?

what makes you think i should spend my time helping you? my time is more valuable to me. like yours is to you. Thats a pretty stupid point you were trying to make.

Tell you arrogant people what, i'll make you a deal. You pay me for everytime i have to throw something out just to totally loot something, and i'll do it. Thats my time im spending doing stuff for you, not me. So why dont you pay for it. i bet you wont, because you want us to do your work for you, for free. i have two words for you, first one starts with F.

your whole argument is that you are more important than everyone else. You have no other argument to make. Well if thats the case, you can start paying for the privilege.

You are over-valuing your time if you can't take a second to think, do I really need this chest, then going forward with it fully knowing you can't take everything and only taking the valuable items and leaving what you don't want. Your logic is incredibly childish and spoiled, if you are a child then I can't hold that against you. If you're an adult, then you damn well know better and you can't use mental gymnastics to try to justify a selfish act. Either your ego is so inflated that you genuinely believe what you said about your time, or you have a really skewed view of common courtesy.
  • Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭

i see.

LOL what????

If they are inconveniencing THEMSELVES by picking up all loot than no one else is affected but them which is what you have to live with if you do not want to pay the money for ESO plus. Shifting that inconvenience on to ANOTHER PLAYER is rude and what is the problem.

Stop demanding what other people should do in their game. It is just a chest or node ffs
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    makreth wrote: »
    Can we have a despawn timer for nodes/chests that have been looted instead of having them stay there permanently with a worm or just a glyph in case of chests? I really don't understand why this hasn't been implemented.

Cheers

The fix could be really simple.. whoever cracks the node or chest open initially is distance tied to that node, if they leave anything in it and go beyond 10 metres away then that node should despawn..
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it easy people, don't call each other names. This is mostly a petition to the devs rather to the community. Think about it, it's like.... even if there are laws in real life there are still people who throw their trash in their streets and are selfish. This is a perception issue. Some do not bother doing this and are apathetic, some are not. Each to their own. The difference is they will have to pay some penalty irl and eso is just a game (something that devs can adjust to make it appealing to all). It's not a single player game though and your actions can impact others.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just make the gold in containers lootable only if you pick up all the rest. Problem solved (at least for containers, since there's no gold in crafting nodes).

As to nodes, people leaving bait behind are a bit stupid. Baits sell quite well and pile up easily in inventory. They're not as much of a storage space issue as glyphs.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on February 22, 2018 12:02PM
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just make the gold in containers lootable only if you pick up all the rest. Problem solved (at least for containers, since there's no gold in crafting nodes).

As to nodes, people leaving bait behind are a bit stupid. Baits sell quite well and pile up easily in inventory. They're not as much of a storage space issue as glyphs.

oh yes....same glyphs should also stack....that would be nice
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it easy people, don't call each other names.

I know... but careless people explaining "I do it because I can and I don't care about the rest" or "I care about my time, yours ain't my problem" are truly infuriating. And it's pretty clear that they behave the same way IRL.

• DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take it easy people, don't call each other names.

I know... but careless people explaining "I do it because I can and I don't care about the rest" or "I care about my time, yours ain't my problem" are truly infuriating. And it's pretty clear that they behave the same way IRL.

Can't change how others behave. Can change how we react (or don't which usually irritates those seeking attention).

No minds are likely to be changed on this so...

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't change how others behave. Can change how we react (or don't which usually irritates those seeking attention).

This is getting somewhat "philosophical" but I believe that any society develops some sort of moral code which influences people's behaviour a lot. Nowadays the western world is too much impregnated by individualism "my choice, my freedom, my interest, don't care about others" and it should be reverted. At least a bit. I think we can, to a certain extent, change how others behave by telling them and firmly condemning their actions if they are so obviously against the common good.

That being said, an MMO is probably the last place on earth where this "strategy" could work :-)

And also, let's mention that most people in ESO are OK, civil and friendly. Surprisingly civil, even. Even regarding the topic at hand : I farm a lot and rarely, rarely see a half emptied container. Maybe 1 out of 20. Not much, really.

• DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is getting somewhat "philosophical" but I believe that any society develops some sort of moral code which influences people's behaviour a lot. Nowadays the western world is too much impregnated by individualism "my choice, my freedom, my interest, don't care about others" and it should be reverted. At least a bit. I think we can, to a certain extent, change how others behave by telling them and firmly condemning their actions if they are so obviously against the common good.

That being said, an MMO is probably the last place on earth where this "strategy" could work :-)

And also, let's mention that most people in ESO are OK, civil and friendly. Surprisingly civil, even. Even regarding the topic at hand : I farm a lot and rarely, rarely see a half emptied container. Maybe 1 out of 20. Not much, really.

Oh, I totally agree. I think that sort of behaviour is indicative of traits I deplore. Selfish, quite. I also agree that pretty much anywhere on the 'Net (MMO, FB, etc. etc.) you're going to encounter people who just want to be perceived as hard and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Now, in the real world? There is where effort exerted can make a difference. It's not so easy to be a bad-ass as it is online.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake