The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

@Zos think it over. Looted chests/nodes

makreth
makreth
✭✭✭✭✭
Can we have a despawn timer for nodes/chests that have been looted instead of having them stay there permanently with a worm or just a glyph in case of chests? I really don't understand why this hasn't been implemented.

Cheers
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently this is already the case, at least for chests. Once they've been opened they're on a timer before they go.

This is what's been told to me in previous forums threads however I have no evidence of it myself.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Apparently this is already the case, at least for chests. Once they've been opened they're on a timer before they go.

This is what's been told to me in previous forums threads however I have no evidence of it myself.

I'm pretty sure it takes longer to re-spawn this way though. I've never tested this but that's what I have been told as well.

Either way it's extremely rude to loot a node and leave in just bait or to loot a chest and leave in 1 glyph and 1 palladium. You're teasing someone else and making them clean up after you.

I know someone's gonna come in here and be like "not all of us have ESO plus!" Well that isn't a reason for you to inconvenience other players Buy some bag space upgrades with gold and grab those worms next time. This has always been something that really grinds my gears.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stack of worms are easily worth 6k or more. Don't know why people leave them.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

I know someone's gonna come in here and be like "not all of us have ESO plus!" Well that isn't a reason for you to inconvenience other players Buy some bag space upgrades with gold and grab those worms next time. This has always been something that really grinds my gears.

so its bad if they inconvenience you, but its ok for them to be inconvenienced having to deal with loot they dont want.
    i see.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

so its bad if they inconvenience you, but its ok for them to be inconvenienced having to deal with loot they dont want.
    i see.

Yes, because they're the ones getting the the primary loot from the chest. So, if you get the perks of getting the first crack at it, then you should also bear the burden of cleaning the thing out.
  • jwjackson5674
    jwjackson5674
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just make chests and harvest nodes auto loot. Solves the problem.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure it takes longer to re-spawn this way though. I've never tested this but that's what I have been told as well.

Either way it's extremely rude to loot a node and leave in just bait or to loot a chest and leave in 1 glyph and 1 palladium. You're teasing someone else and making them clean up after you.

There's a special place in Oblivion for people who leave chests/nodes partially cleared. I remind /zone whenever I come across said chests/nodes, because there's a good chance the offending player is still in the area, continuing to be an inconsiderate jerk. :)
  • calitrumanb14_ESO
    calitrumanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i see.[/quote

We all have to deal with loot we do not want. It's an inconvenience for everyone.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i see.

LOL what????

If they are inconveniencing THEMSELVES by picking up all loot than no one else is affected but them which is what you have to live with if you do not want to pay the money for ESO plus. Shifting that inconvenience on to ANOTHER PLAYER is rude and what is the problem.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i see.

Yes, because they're the ones getting the the primary loot from the chest. So, if you get the perks of getting the first crack at it, then you should also bear the burden of cleaning the thing out.

Exactly. Well-said.
  • gangyzgirl
    gangyzgirl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a solution. Pick up all the loot from the chest. Right click what you don't want, DESTROY

Problem solved, now that garbage is in no one's inventory.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes you run out of inventory or you already have the treasure map in both your inventory and bank. At times, leaving a chest with something in it cannot be helped. So yeah, I do agree that the chest should despawn quicker. Maybe use the same logic that is used to refresh treasure map mounds. After looting a treasure map, you have to put the new one in your inventory and run out of sight of the chest location and then return to loot it with the new map. The same could be done with regular chests. The moment you leave sight of or the area of the chest, it despawns.
    Edited by jaws343 on February 21, 2018 2:52PM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i see.

We all know very well that the chests will sit there if not completely emptied when looted.
    It's just being a nice player..loot the entire chest so it respawns for the next player that comes by.

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i see.

No, sorry. That’s not how that works.

It’s like leaving your shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot.

Put it away. Be considerate to others.

Likewise, when opening chests. Pick up everything, make room or destroy junk. Clear the node. Don’t be a jerkbag.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stack of worms are easily worth 6k or more. Don't know why people leave them.

I guess it's mainly bots? Or do they take all to force respawns and what kind of node farmer doesn't have craft bag and auto loot D:

Finally- for chests it will give me a complex so before I had assistants I'd delete something to loot the whole chest xD
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't you heard? This kind of behaviour is perfectly fine as long as you get what you want... /s
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i see.

Except it's not always the case. On the occasion I've done this, I've often left some very nice set pieces and taken only the style stone or the mat/bait. In such a case, I'd rather leave the good set piece (and I'm only referring to set pieces, not trash pieces) for someone to pick up (even if they choose to destroy it) vice forcing the despawn by destroying it myself.

Full inventory is full inventory. Would you rather someone destroy a guaranteed good item in hopes that the next spawn would be equally good, or would you rather they (only) take the very things most are complaining about getting left behind?

I realize this is probably the exception, more than the rule, but in either case, I still don't see it as game breaking.

Not like there are limited nodes/chests in an entire zone.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I used to loot everything in chests/nodes then I realized it's not a big deal if I run into a partially looted chest/node so I just take what I want and leave the rest now.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I empty all the chests I open and make a lot of gold selling the stuff I don't want to the merchant. Also some of it its good enough to upgrade and sell on the trader.

If I get a duplicate treasure map, I delete the one in inventory to empty the chest
    Edited by Katahdin on February 21, 2018 3:53PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, I happily take the "trash" that other people leave in chests and nodes, more money, mats, baits and tempers for me.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s that way in instances. Not sure if anyone has actually tested in the open world.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really grinds my gears is seeing this topic come up so often in-game and on the forums. Sometimes I feel like offering people 100k gold to shutup and stop complaining about this, but I would inevitably go broke with the massive amount of people who always chim in with their own personal victimization experiences. They act like every pre-loot chest was a Boyant Armiger motif that was unfairly ripped from their grasp at the last second.

This isnt even a dead horse anymore, its a pile of bones and rotted flesh that people roll around in like dogs.

(Before you freak out on me, I have never left an item in a chest. I just dont lose my mind when I find a pre-looted chest.)
    [DC/NA]
  • RobZha
    RobZha
    ✭✭✭
    Have just got into treasure chest hunting and admit that I've been leaving the stuff I don't want behind, mainly because I wasn't sure it made them respawn slower to be honest and my inv is often almost full. Will start clearing them out from now though if it's winding people up like this. :D

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to respawn? 20 mins or so?
    Edited by RobZha on February 21, 2018 4:21PM
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tested to see if partially looted chests despawn, and at least on PS4 they do. I will never understand why people get so worked up about this.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i see.

Except it's not always the case. On the occasion I've done this, I've often left some very nice set pieces and taken only the style stone or the mat/bait. In such a case, I'd rather leave the good set piece (and I'm only referring to set pieces, not trash pieces) for someone to pick up (even if they choose to destroy it) vice forcing the despawn by destroying it myself.

Full inventory is full inventory. Would you rather someone destroy a guaranteed good item in hopes that the next spawn would be equally good, or would you rather they (only) take the very things most are complaining about getting left behind?

I realize this is probably the exception, more than the rule, but in either case, I still don't see it as game breaking.

There are, in fact. Only a certain number of chests will spawn simultaneously in a zone. So long as you leave a chest up, you are in fact reducing the supply for that zone.

The same behavior applies for Thieves Caches.

Also, no offense, but I don't want your level 23 green Mother's Sorrow ring. I'm sure it would make someone's day, but the odds of them finding the chest are basically nil.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobZha wrote: »
    Have just got into treasure chest hunting and admit that I've been leaving the stuff I don't want behind, mainly because I wasn't sure it made them respawn slower to be honest and my inv is often almost full. Will start clearing them out from now though if it's winding people up like this. :D

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to respawn? 20 mins or so?

The respawn is probably around 5 minutes. It's a little difficult to judge because the current chests rotate, so the chest will respawn somewhere else when it comes back up.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i see.

You're describing a lot of situational instances. What you deem as "good" and what another person deems as "good" are different many times. And no it's not game-breaking but it's still rude to the next person who comes along to the chest or node.

It's about common courtesy. And i disagree that "full inventory is full inventory". You can destroy stuff, send mail to a friend and have them return to sender, go to a merchant, go to a crafting station, use a portable merchant/banker etc.

Also 99% of the time someone does this to a chest or node they DON'T Leave anything good like you do. It's always a cheap style mat, a glyph, or a green rubetite sword of shock. Or bait if its a node. That's the problem. Grab everything and if you don't want it then just destroy it. Problem solved forever and ever.
    Edited by Apache_Kid on February 21, 2018 4:44PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When this happens I usually just wait to find out who it is and then follow them around and beat them to every node until they rage quit. Yes, I'm a jerk >:)
  • RobZha
    RobZha
    ✭✭✭
    The respawn is probably around 5 minutes. It's a little difficult to judge because the current chests rotate, so the chest will respawn somewhere else when it comes back up.

Thanks, have seen some groups of them that often appear in the same place again later on, but that must be after others have been used elsewhere I guess if that's right.
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    The respawn timer is the same same whether you take everything or leave something inside and starts the moment you either open or close the node (I didn't test whether it's opening or closing). I've tested in on multiple occasions. You can test that yourself. You just need a remote location and 15 minutes at most.

It's annoying though. You make your way only to find a bunch of worms or a low level ring.