The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

moved

• eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay with the game (improvise, adapt, overcome, and all that stuff; or maybe you're just indifferent)
    Sky'd be falling!
    I'd lose 2~5% of my epeen dps!
    Cryhards would lose their favorite scapegoat!

It might be slightly annoying to get hit to the face when u cant block cause u r channeling a heavy attack, would be funny to get stuck in endless hail animations for 10 secs like npcs do.

Combat would be less fastpaced and much more clunky, but else, wouldnt even call it "nerf". To little of an impact.

ETA of getting used it: 30 ~ 60 minutes.
    Edited by eso_nya on February 21, 2018 12:49PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hm, lets see what would happen...

1. You would be unable to instantly block or dodge any incoming attack because you would have to wait for your current attack animation to complete. Active defences would become useless and Damage shields (and therefore sorcs) would rule.
    2. You would (i expect) no longer be able to block-cast - so blocking and many magica builds (esp. dk/Templar) would become totally obsolete instantly. Sorcs would rule.
    3. Defence would have to be all based on passive mitigation/buffs and heals.. Everyone would be rocking heavy armour and 40k+ health, doing next to no damage.. Except sorcs - who would rule.
    4. Weaving would no longer be possible impacting dps and ulti-gain. Impacting everyone - except maybe DW sorcs who would rule....
    5. Weaving heavy attacks for sustain on stam characters would no longer be possible - meaning having to spec for tons more sustain - impacting weapon damage - a lot. Sorc would be cool.. Didn't rely on em anyway. Sorcs would rule.!

This DW sorc says 'Bring it on!'
    Edited by Biro123 on February 21, 2018 12:52PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    The game's combat system wouldn't exist without animation canceling so...
    This, the real issue is not LA weaving, neither is it cutting the tail of HA, its that you can abort an ability to block or dodge.
    That would make the game feel very clunky and little responsive, they would also have to change a lot of boss mechanics since you now would be frozen for an second before being able to respond.

Now they could put the cast at end of animation like for crystal blast or snipe just with an less than an second animation, it will let you cancel but it will also cancel the effect.
    That would work for PvE, however having you telegraph all your cast will have some impact on PvP :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay with the game (improvise, adapt, overcome, and all that stuff; or maybe you're just indifferent)
    Light attack every 6 seconds or so for the Heroism buff.

Watch sustain get slightly worse due to the faster use of skills.

Stamina builds that use Heavy Attacks a lot would see a rather large DPS loss in PvE, would have to adjust for that.

Be annoyed that hitting the block or dodge doesn't work right away, until after the animation is done.

Probably never play my Templar again, if I was unable to cancel all the channels/cast time skills.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would Celebrate!
    that would be Awesome!

i hope it happens, it's a Great Start, and a Foot in the right and honest direct to true battle and real balance in fighting.
    people no longer killing each other in less then 1 tenth of a second.

i hope it happens.

Facepalm... That's not how animation cancelling works. You cannot bypass the GCD with animation cancelling, so you cannot fire off a flurry of skills in a 10th of a second. What people often lambast as "animation cancelling" in PVP is good ol' fashioned server lag and/or proc sets combined with good burst timing of skills that do x amount of damage after a certain number of seconds (eg. proxy det). I've had multiple skills land on players all at once a few times in the past -- not because I was block cancelling (I don't even know how to do that), but because the game was lagging and processed the skills I was frantically trying to fire off all at once.

• Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think this game already feels clunky to play because of the lag, but if they got rid of animation cancelling the fluidity of combat would nosedive even harder.

Also it would make tanking incredibly difficult. People always think animation cancelling is a dps only thingy, but consider in vAA a tank usually needs to perma block those axes to avoid the stuns (especially in a group with low dps where you get extra axes), but also needs to taunt them, use war horn, heal and shield themselves etc. They do all this by animation cancelling their abilities with block.

The fact is that this game's combat is built around the ability to animation cancel so it would be a massive overhaul to remove it completely. So massive and (imo pointless) that I hope it doesn't happen because I don't trust Zenimax enough to think through an alternative way to play the game without animation cancelling.
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    idk, but combat would likely become more boring than the heavy attack builds.

Not to worry, it is clearly not being removed from the game.

The hypothetical question is about a rather moot subject since Zos has not only stated AC is now an official part of the game but has double downed on that multiple times since by increasing the importance of the most basic part of AC, animation canceling. Most recently with the increase damage light attacks do.

It is not going away.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    I would hope they rebalance the game around the removal. There are certain elements that would just break the game if they make no other adjustments. You want to block? Wait a second or two until your current action is completed. I can tell you right now that you will get hit by a hell of a lot more things than you do right now because you can't cancel your attack with a block or a dodge. That would need to be adjusted for. Overall dps would go down for anyone currently maximizing with cancelling. I'd hope the hp in pve content would be adjusted to compensate. Time to kill goes up in pvp. You think some players are hard to kill now. Wait until your attacks feel slow and sluggish. No cancelling to adjust your kill strategy on the fly.

Short version. They can remove cancelling, but if they do it in a vaccuum with no other changes, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. The game would be warped to the point I couldn't enjoy it anymore.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    i would Celebrate!
    that would be Awesome!

i hope it happens, it's a Great Start, and a Foot in the right and honest direct to true battle and real balance in fighting.

i hope it happens.

Facepalm... That's not how animation cancelling works. You cannot bypass the GCD with animation cancelling, so you cannot fire off a flurry of skills in a 10th of a second. What people often lambast as "animation cancelling" in PVP is good ol' fashioned server lag and/or proc sets combined with good burst timing of skills that do x amount of damage after a certain number of seconds (eg. proxy det). I've had multiple skills land on players all at once a few times in the past -- not because I was block cancelling (I don't even know how to do that), but because the game was lagging and processed the skills I was frantically trying to fire off all at once.
    You can also cast an skill with travel time like snipe, an LA and another skill who hit instantly and all will land in less than an second. if you also get an proc set in you have four effects at once.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    Likely leave, as combat would become unbearably slow and clunky.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Hellvlad
    Hellvlad
    ✭✭✭
    If the difficulty of trials and dungeons is re balanced at the same time so it does not actually require animation canceling to bet them, I would be really happy. This would shut up all the elitists who have a hard on when their DPS meter exceeds 40K but get OS 10 times per fight and never bother rezing anyone because it will "hurt their dps"
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    I suck at it anyway so it wont have any impact on my game!
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't animation cancel(for dmg) because i only play healers and tanks and snipe spam in pvp. That said, this thing is its own worst nightmare.

animation cancelling in combination with macro programs is what allows for the wall of abilities to hit you in a second. It has a distinct signature of LA (or HA), compatible skill (i.e poison injection, ambush), maybe proc set, LA or usually HA, another skill, maybe ultimate.

what gives it its power in pvp is that all these can come from one button press meaning that whoever is doing this is free to mario brothers jump around, run around rocks and trees etc until they have position and then boom.

players perceive this as cheating because there aren't any indications just a wall of dmg they don't understand. I imagine some can do this without the aid of macro programs but i also imagine all that jumping and positioning would make this hard to pull off routinely without a single button press considering the sequential requirement.

this is why i think jumping in combat should cost stamina and also why animation cancelling is generally caustic gameplay. It exploits ping, not everyone can do it and promotes macroing.

don't macro? have more than 125 ping? You might be a potato.

an example of good combat is the new double resource return from off balance. This is something anyone can take advantage of if they are paying attention. This is action combat.

cause condition, exploit condition=efficiency=good combat. This is what people really want. Not this cheezy macro timer bs.

personally i think they should change light attack to something more interesting and put everything on the one timer.

Edited by Rungar on February 21, 2018 2:00PM
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »
    i would Celebrate!
    that would be Awesome!

i hope it happens.

You can also cast an skill with travel time like snipe, an LA and another skill who hit instantly and all will land in less than an second. if you also get an proc set in you have four effects at once.

Yup. It has NOTHING to do with block cancelling or weapon swap cancelling, and I really wish people would stop crying "exploit" because someone who is better at the game than they are can beat them with excellent timing. :'( The only animation that is cancelled within the GCD in a good burst setup is the light attack, and ZOS is a-okay with that, as per the new level advisor that encourages players to fire off skills immediately after using light attacks.

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    That would suck tbh.
    Im a healer and I have a lot of buffs and debuffs on my off-bar. So when I cast purifying ritual or something, I quickly bar swap to my main bar so I can continue healing. Healing in dlc trials can be stressful already, and I dont want any extra deaths because of not being able to swap in time.
    It would also destroy any hope of being able to play melee magplar again because that class relies on channeled attacks and if youre in melee range and cant cancel sweeps to shield or block... Youre dead.
    Same with heavy attacks... With no means to cancel animation, you'll die a lot. Heavy attacking or channeling abilities slows you down and leaves you defenseless. And since heavy attacks are nessesary since Morrowind patch, that means a lot of extra deaths. Do you guys really want to die all the time to those red circles, unable to shield or dodge them? That doesnt sound like fun imo.

That being said... At some point, it was possible to get unfair advantage via macros and animation canceling, heres an example But guess what? They changed animation prioritizaton a while ago and stuff like this isnt possible anymore (well maybe with actual cheating programs but thats another topic).

What people seem to call "animation cancelling" just means throwing light attacks between the skills and youre not actually cancelling anything, youre just adding a bit more dps and constant ulti regen to the mix... Thats about it.
    Its absolutely possible to do all content without it. Its just a way to get some extra dps and to increase "skill cap" so to speak.

So I just think that people are horribly misinformed (or biased) and if ZOS will start listening to those ignorant individuals, the game will be soon dead. Just because ignorance wouldnt just stop here.

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rejoice
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    They already ruined it, quite a few patches ago now. They tried taking it out completely but threats were made by over 75% of the PvP player base lol.
    PC EU
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    depends on what they would do to revitalize the combat in some other way.
    i like the fact that ESO has a faster, more skill oriented combat system. if they would be able to keep that aspect, i.e. being able to have 2 or more actions per second without simple button mashing, i'd be okay for me.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would Celebrate!
    that would be Awesome!

i hope it happens.

It wouldn't do that. If you're dying that quickly to other players, it's because your health is under 20k, at which point any player can legitimately burst you down. It's not about animation canceling at that point, it's just, straight up, survivability.

It's never their own fault with these people is it?

"Ah coulda been a contenda, Charlie!"

To, Dwemer's partial credit. I haven't seen one of these, "animation canceling lets you do all the things at once," posts in about 18 months. So, you know, there's that.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Cry because the class I main has zero means of preventing damage, which would be 1000% necessary if "animation cancelling" were removed since it would no longer be possible to hold down block and cast Breath of Life.

We need your VMA and other guides, @Joy_Division! :blush:

I appreciate the sentiment.

But I don;t think most people understand what "animation canceling" is. Probably because the phrase being used is misleading.

From reading this thread, it seems that vast majority of people think it's only the ability we have to "weave" in a light or heavy attack with an attack skill. That removing it would only result in the loss of a few thousand DPS.

That's not the whole story. "Weaving" in the light or heavy attack is only possible because the combat engine prioritizes certain actions over others. Block, dodge, bar swap have priority over skills/abilities, which have priority of light/heavy attacks. To get rid of "animation canceling," you have to remove all of this. That means you'd be stuck doing something for a global cooldown, unable to react, defend, heck, even change weapons.

All the better? How would it even be possible to do content like Asylum Sancturium or VMA or MAw of Larkaj that is full of one shots without the ability to react immediately to mechanics? Don;t tell me "git gud." This content is already incredibly difficult, beyond the means of the vast majority of people who play the game, and only gets done because we can do things like block and dodge on command. I mean, look at the final boss in Scalecaller Peak and the Poison dragon mechanic - as it is with the ability to immediately dodge, many people still cant get out of the red! The reason why I wrote the vMA guide in the first place is because it is very hard and beating is requires a lot more than just "weaving" in attacks.

So with PvE pretty much undoable, we'd go into cyrodiil and discover that Templars are utterly unplayable and Dragonknight nearly as useless because both classes have zero mobility and now people want to exacerbate this by forcing them to stand in the very same spot for an entire global cooldown.

As a sorcerer, I wouldn't care too much if without"animation canceling" because before I fight I can cast two shields for 23K artificial health and survive an attack that I could not block or dodge that would have killed me. If I felt threatened, I just streak away, giving me the space and second I need to reshield. Or I'd play a Nightblade who can cloak/teleport away from danger. These classes have tools at their disposal that enable them to survive without holding down block and healing.

The game would simply not be playable without the system of priorities in place that allow for "animation canceling" and that;s exactly why it is there in the first place.
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 21, 2018 3:02PM
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    Well as a player from south america with a ping no less than 300 they can just remove this completly
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    They don't know how to remove it. It's a bug being labeled as an intended feature.
  • Demycilian
    Demycilian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    shrug

To fix something as fundamental as the combat this late into the lifecycle of a game would be hillarious. They might as well continue on with their little pretense of this being a feature.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    I would...not care one way or the other, except to rejoice that in Cyro I would actually have a chance to see and counter what is killing me. I dont use it myself, as far as I am concerned its poor game design.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (explain below)
    I'd be happy.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as a player from south america with a ping no less than 300 they can just remove this completly

You have bad ping, so you think ZOS should completely break ESO's combat system for your benefit...?

Folks, animation cancelling does NOT magically take you from 15k DPS to 50k DPS, or allow you to bypass the GCD. Animation cancelling saves your butts when you're channeling a skill and have to block/dodge roll, and allows for smoother rotations. It's not difficult to master. Unless you're playing certain vet dungeons or trials, you don't even NEED to react quickly, so animation cancelling does not even affect you. If you have high ping, don't try to make your problem everyone else's. This is an action-based online game -- either switch to a less-twitchy MMORPG, or deal with it.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Cry because the class I main has zero means of preventing damage, which would be 1000% necessary if "animation cancelling" were removed since it would no longer be possible to hold down block and cast Breath of Life.

We need your VMA and other guides, @Joy_Division! :blush:

I appreciate the sentiment.

But I don;t think most people understand what "animation canceling" is. Probably because the phrase being used is misleading.

From reading this thread, it seems that vast majority of people think it's only the ability we have to "weave" in a light or heavy attack with an attack skill. That removing it would only result in the loss of a few thousand DPS.

That's not the whole story. "Weaving" in the light or heavy attack is only possible because the combat engine prioritizes certain actions over others. Block, dodge, bar swap have priority over skills/abilities, which have priority of light/heavy attacks. To get rid of "animation canceling," you have to remove all of this. That means you'd be stuck doing something for a global cooldown, unable to react, defend, heck, even change weapons.

All the better? How would it even be possible to do content like Asylum Sancturium or VMA or MAw of Larkaj that is full of one shots without the ability to react immediately to mechanics? Don;t tell me "git gud." This content is already incredibly difficult, beyond the means of the vast majority of people who play the game, and only gets done because we can do things like block and dodge on command. I mean, look at the final boss in Scalecaller Peak and the Poison dragon mechanic - as it is with the ability to immediately dodge, many people still cant get out of the red! The reason why I wrote the vMA guide in the first place is because it is very hard and beating is requires a lot more than just "weaving" in attacks.

So with PvE pretty much undoable, we'd go into cyrodiil and discover that Templars are utterly unplayable and Dragonknight nearly as useless because both classes have zero mobility and now people want to exacerbate this by forcing them to stand in the very same spot for an entire global cooldown.

As a sorcerer, I wouldn't care too much if without"animation canceling" because before I fight I can cast two shields for 23K artificial health and survive an attack that I could not block or dodge that would have killed me. If I felt threatened, I just streak away, giving me the space and second I need to reshield. Or I'd play a Nightblade who can cloak/teleport away from danger. These classes have tools at their disposal that enable them to survive without holding down block and healing.

The game would simply not be playable without the system of priorities in place that allow for "animation canceling" and that;s exactly why it is there in the first place.

This!
    Its insane how many people here keep repeating that "its a bug, a bug, a bug!" mantra without even trying to understand what it actually is and how it works. This is really sad.

PC/EU
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    josiahva wrote: »
    I would...not care one way or the other, except to rejoice that in Cyro I would actually have a chance to see and counter what is killing me. I dont use it myself, as far as I am concerned its poor game design.

Burst combos have nothing to do with animation canceling, actually. Some skills' effects are delayed so you can time them with other (faster) skills so they hit at once (for example, you can combo warden shalks with something else etc).

PC/EU
  • Greifenherz
    Greifenherz
    ✭✭✭
    I would rejoice for one less "mechanic" unnecessarily splitting the community between regular players and elitists.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave the game
    I would rejoice for one less "mechanic" unnecessarily splitting the community between regular players and elitists.

Its kinda rude to imply that regular players are unable to click light attacks.

PC/EU