The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New melee magblade meta? update, now 49k selfbuffed dps with dual wield no offbalance

Raghul
Raghul
✭✭✭
In this video i was testing a different setup, the idea was to have 2 entire 5 pc sets and 1 full monsterset.
So i had to go with dual wield.
Sets used:
5 aquity on frontbar with dual wield, 5 MA, 2 Zaan.
I did this 46k parse with dual axes because i had them for stamblade, you would want to have swords ofc for 5% extra damage.
I also had no offbalance or minor vurnerability, this was selfbuffed.
I used the lover with 10 points into erosion wich puts me at about +- 10190 pen, so no cheese.
https://youtu.be/9H65-tuT744

Highest i got this patch with double fire, no asylum was 44k so this one is is already stronger.
Let me know what you think :)
Edited by Raghul on February 21, 2018 12:13AM
Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Furcula
    Furcula
    ✭✭✭
    If you could, try it on a 6m so we can get a better idea of how it does. Although it doesn't seem like you will have too much magicka problems, you might have to heavy attack a couple times on the 6m. Also, it will balance out the lucky Zaan + MA procs that you could get on a 3m. In terms of taking up a melee spot, it might be a problem not having blade cloak if you are taking a melee spot.

Would prefer to see a parse with Apprentice too with ~22 points into spell erosion. You may pull similar/higher.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Raghul wrote: »
    In this video i was testing a different setup, the idea was to have 2 entire 5 pc sets and 1 full monsterset.
    Sets used:
    I did this 46k parse with dual axes because i had them for stamblade, you would want to have swords ofc for 5% extra damage.
    I used the lover with 10 points into erosion wich puts me at about +- 10190 pen, so no cheese.

Highest i got this patch with double fire, no asylum was 44k so this one is is already stronger.

One thing: I don't think concealed weapon is worth it, as it costs 600-700 magicka more than funnel health and only gives you a ~6-8% higher damage on your spammable in exchange for a significantly higher magicka drain... Compare the tooltips and the cost:

Funnel: 8802 Damage, 1702 cost per cast.
    Concealed Weapon: 9554, 2430 per cast.

In the long run funnel will have a lot of advantages over concealed weapon, you magicka drained a lot in the parse you did above... The only downside is the lower uptime on major ward and resolve and slightly lower health.
    Edited by Masel on February 20, 2018 8:16AM
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »
    Sets used:

One thing: I don't think concealed weapon is worth it, as it costs 600-700 magicka more than funnel health and only gives you a ~6-8% higher damage on your spammable in exchange for a significantly higher magicka drain... Compare the tooltips and the cost:

In the long run funnel will have a lot of advantages over concealed weapon, you magicka drained a lot in the parse you did above... The only downside is the lower uptime on major ward and resolve and slightly lower health.

I agree on that one, but if i would swap to funnel i would still get similar results as with concealed
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Sets used:

I agree on that one, but if i would swap to funnel i would still get similar results as with concealed

Yeah i know, just wanted to give me 2 cents :smile: interesting stuff! If i werent too lazy to level dual wield on my magblade iw ould try it. :smiley:
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Furcula wrote: »
    If you could, try it on a 6m so we can get a better idea of how it does. Although it doesn't seem like you will have too much magicka problems, you might have to heavy attack a couple times on the 6m. Also, it will balance out the lucky Zaan + MA procs that you could get on a 3m. In terms of taking up a melee spot, it might be a problem not having blade cloak if you are taking a melee spot.

Would prefer to see a parse with Apprentice too with ~22 points into spell erosion. You may pull similar/higher.

I will try it out on 6 mill,
    Also i only applied siphoning at start of the fight and didn't reapply it, so i can just apply it again on 6 mill for my sustain, it just wasn't needed on 3 mill ^^
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Sets used:

Yeah i know, just wanted to give me 2 cents :smile: interesting stuff! If i werent too lazy to level dual wield on my magblade iw ould try it. :smiley:

Haha fair enough :p
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting test, thanks for this. I isolated some of your comments below to offer opinion on

Firstly if a melee build on a dummy is only 2-3k better than ranged build (speaking about MagBlade here), then for the raid I would take the ranged option every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If the difference was 7k and above, then I'd perhaps consider it.

Any boss with invulnerability phases or movement (see vAS) will cause your Zaan (mostly) and light attack damage to fall off a cliff and ultimately result in lower DPS than the ranged build which does not rely on procs at all. Also by being a melee build in light armour without Blade Cloak means a much higher chance to die, which on average will lead to more loss of DPS. A ranged magblade with the constant movement speed buff from Cripple is amazing at avoiding boss ground AoEs.

Secondly, as soon as you add the Perfected Asylum Fire staff to the ranged build the damage will explode and reach 50k dps levels. Which will outperform the melee build in both damage and survivability.

I don't really see anything shaking the Architect + Acuity + Maestrom/Asylum meta till new stronger sets come out.

Edited by Maulkin on February 20, 2018 12:34PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Interesting test, thanks for this. I isolated some of your comments below to offer opinion on

Firstly if a melee build on a dummy is only 2-3k better than ranged build (speaking about MagBlade here), then for the raid I would take the ranged option every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If the difference was 7k and above, then I'd perhaps consider it.

Any boss with invulnerability phases or movement (see vAS) will cause your Zaan (mostly) and light attack damage to fall off a cliff and ultimately result in lower DPS than the ranged build which does not rely on procs at all. Also by being a melee build in light armour without Blade Cloak means a much higher chance to die, which on average will lead to more loss of DPS. A ranged magblade with the constant movement speed buff from Cripple is amazing at avoiding boss ground AoEs.

Secondly, as soon as you add the Perfected Asylum Fire staff to the ranged build the damage will explode and reach 50k dps levels. Which will outperform the melee build in both damage and survivability.

I don't really see anything shaking the Architect + Acuity + Maestrom/Asylum meta till new stronger sets come out.

Hi there, thx for your comment :)
    This build will only be used in trials were melee is an option, wich are quite alot tbh, and the asylum staff is only good to cheese parses tbh, because in a raid you will have those buffs and debuffs already active so my build will see bigger increase in numbers in raid scenario, while with the asylum staff not. I am sure i can reach 48k with dual swords (test was done with axes), this is without offbalance and without minor vurnerability, those 50k selfbuffed parses you speak of have both off balance and minor vurnerability active, so that an extra 18%more damage. What do you think will happen when i bring this build to raid and getting the buffs and debuffs i currently don't have? If i would have 18% more damage on top of possibly 48k with swords i would be sitting way over 50k. Now with the changes to offbalance i haven't seen a 50k parse yet with asylum destro.
    Anyway i will get my swords and test in raid ofc, will keep this thread updated :)
    In vas i will still keep using 5 acuity, 5BSW, 1 kena double fire staff
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • huschdeguddzje
    huschdeguddzje
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple of comments mentioning the damage mitigation loss by blade cloak, but what keeps you from slotting that? Shure it won't deal any damage worth mentioning, but you still get the damage mitigation. I used it on my magblade for vma
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple of comments mentioning the damage mitigation loss by blade cloak, but what keeps you from slotting that? Shure it won't deal any damage worth mentioning, but you still get the damage mitigation. I used it on my magblade for vma

Good point actually ^^ but also ppl seem to forgot the days where you had melee magplar and magdk's without blade cloak doing just fine
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Firstly, you have only have space for 1 defensive skill (competes with Harness) and secondly you'd have to front bar it and drop one of your skills to the back bar (Cripple most likely), which will lead to some DPS loss from that. Though the DPS loss will be small and most likely covered by the DoT from Cloak.

It doesn't sound terrible to be honest, but I'd rather have Harness than Blade Cloak. I mean I'd rather have both if I'm going melee in trials, but then you end up giving up a bit too much in terms of damage.

This build will only be used in trials were melee is an option, wich are quite alot tbh, and the asylum staff is only good to cheese parses tbh, because in a raid you will have those buffs and debuffs already active so my build will see bigger increase in numbers in raid scenario, while with the asylum staff not. I am sure i can reach 48k with dual swords (test was done with axes), this is without offbalance and without minor vurnerability, those 50k selfbuffed parses you speak of have both off balance and minor vurnerability active, so that an extra 18%more damage. What do you think will happen when i bring this build to raid and getting the buffs and debuffs i currently don't have? If i would have 18% more damage on top of possibly 48k with swords i would be sitting way over 50k. Now with the changes to offbalance i haven't seen a 50k parse yet with asylum destro.
    Anyway i will get my swords and test in raid ofc, will keep this thread updated :)

You should definitely keep this updated, I'd be more than interested to see what you come up with.

There was an element of "cheesing" the dummy a bit with the Asylum staff because you had effects up that other dummy parses did not, you're right. Though the destro/destro build scales a bit better in trials compared to dw/destro due to Engulfing Flames buff.

On another note, I'd also be keen to see if the 5xAcuity, 5xBSW, 2xZaan combo brings DW MagDKs into contention for raid spots.

Edited by Maulkin on February 20, 2018 3:59PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭

I hit 53k on the 40000k raid dummy with a ranged raid setup with Julianos, Zaan, MD and MSA staff (double fire).
    All raid buffs, no master architect buff.
    So I assume you can achieve 60k+
    PTS-EU
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭

Firstly, you have only have space for 1 defensive skill (competes with Harness) and secondly you'd have to front bar it and drop one of your skills to the back bar (Cripple most likely), which will lead to some DPS loss from that. Though the DPS loss will be small and most likely covered by the DoT from Cloak.

It doesn't sound terrible to be honest, but I'd rather have Harness than Blade Cloak. I mean I'd rather have both if I'm going melee in trials, but then you end up giving up a bit too much in terms of damage.

You should definitely keep this updated, I'd be more than interested to see what you come up with.

There was an element of "cheesing" the dummy a bit with the Asylum staff because you had effects up that other dummy parses did not, you're right. Though the destro/destro build scales a bit better in trials compared to dw/destro due to Engulfing Flames buff.

On another note, I'd also be keen to see if the 5xAcuity, 5xBSW, 2xZaan combo brings DW MagDKs into contention for raid spots.

Exactly what i was thinking, also for magplar with dw acuity, bsw and zaan, i will also test that on magplar.
    I have some ideas for this magblade that i believe will put me 50k +, and i will post results here :-)
    Side note, i forgot the put points in all the dw passives xD
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    HuawaSepp wrote: »

I hit 53k on the 40000k raid dummy with a ranged raid setup with Julianos, Zaan, MD and MSA staff (double fire).
    All raid buffs, no master architect buff.
    So I assume you can achieve 60k+

You got me even more excited now ^^
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Exactly what i was thinking, also for magplar with dw acuity, bsw and zaan, i will also test that on magplar.
    I have some ideas for this magblade that i believe will put me 50k +, and i will post results here :-)
    Side note, i forgot the put points in all the dw passives xD

DK is far more potent with BSW and Zaan then any other class so I'm far more keen to try that. Especially Zaan. We all know about BSW and DKs already.

You move Flames of Oblivion to the DW bar for Major Savagery and you have 40% weapon crit chance. Which means you decrease the potential downtime on Zaan as you can proc it off DW light attacks and not have to rely on backbar crits or Acuity procs so much.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    49k now, with dual swords, i am sure i can get 50k + if i farm out some lucky crits,
    so now we see 50k is very possible without offbalance

hghuR1R.png
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What are your results using a Mundus stone you'd use in raid?
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    What are your results using a Mundus stone you'd use in raid?

I use the lover i raid with 10 points in erosion
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭
    @raghul

Thanks. Can you spot the build as the video quality was too low for me to make out the icons. Also, rotations. Cheers.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    49k now, with dual swords, i am sure i can get 50k + if i farm out some lucky crits,

hghuR1R.png

4.2K Zaan DPS. May have to get a PvE set.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about something like this around HotR, but as my meta builds are already pretty bad, I didn't pursue it. With Mechanical Acuity, it seems we now have a proper front bar set for most situations where this starts to make sense. Really interesting, curious how this might work for Templars and DKs as well (possibly Wardens? Sorc doesn't have a spamable for the DW bar).

What traits and enchantments would be best for the DW weapons here?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I thought about something like this around HotR, but as my meta builds are already pretty bad, I didn't pursue it. With Mechanical Acuity, it seems we now have a proper front bar set for most situations where this starts to make sense. Really interesting, curious how this might work for Templars and DKs as well (possibly Wardens? Sorc doesn't have a spamable for the DW bar).

What traits and enchantments would be best for the DW weapons here?

I am using nirn mainhand, infused offhand, with fire glyph on nirn and weapon damage on infused,
    I am still playing around with backbar trait and glyph tho
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    new melee magblade target dummy meta* :trollface:
    Did you try a 6mio dummy? How does it compare to a normal setup on a 6 mio dummy?
    Edited by Alcast on February 21, 2018 8:03AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Did you try a 6mio dummy? How does it compare to a normal setup on a 6 mio dummy?

Will start testing on 6 mill this evening, didn't have time yesterday as i worked pretty late and still had to get my swords etc.
    But i can imagine it also be alot higher, i had alot of parses on 3 mill were i was almost at execute and my dps was still 48k, then one parse 48.5k where my impale only critted 1 time out of 7, would have been 51k i think if aquity would have procced on execute ^^
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Im testing 5x Acuity, 5x BSW and 2x Zaan on my magblade. It might not be the the best setup (2x spell crit bonus with Acuity) but its extreme bursty. Destro ult with Acuity and BSW proc deals so much dmg, especially on a Dunmer.

Right now my gear and weapons are purple with a charged BSW fire staff but results are looking good. Maybe its time to upgrade the weapons to gold and change the fire staff to infused.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

Will start testing on 6 mill this evening, didn't have time yesterday as i worked pretty late and still had to get my swords etc.
    But i can imagine it also be alot higher, i had alot of parses on 3 mill were i was almost at execute and my dps was still 48k, then one parse 48.5k where my impale only critted 1 time out of 7, would have been 51k i think if aquity would have procced on execute ^^

I am quite surprised that the loss of light attacks on dualwield does not end up in a dps loss. Did you try similar setup but with Staves?

I am mostly wondering because I would guess this could also work for Magicka Templars then? I miss my dualwield Magplar >.>
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Raghul
    Raghul
    ✭✭✭

I am quite surprised that the loss of light attacks on dualwield does not end up in a dps loss. Did you try similar setup but with Staves?

I am mostly wondering because I would guess this could also work for Magicka Templars then? I miss my dualwield Magplar >.>

I have tried similar with staves yes, but then i was just using 5 aquity with fire frontbar, 5 MA and 1 kena, highest i got was 44k. The extra spell damage from dualwield is pretty good, +the 5 % increased damage from swords applies to all damage, so now my single target hits harder then with fire staff, but also my aoe dots hit 5% harder while on frontbar.
    Also the addition of zaan makes up for the light attack loss quite a bit. You also have 3 weapon enchant slots with my setup.
    I am sure this would work very well on magplar, i also will test it on magplar.
    I could use some help tho, it would be nice to see magplar and magdk comeback in trials, magdk could go with 5 aquity dw frontbar, bsw and zaan but my magdk misses alot of skillpoints.
    Are you down for some testing aswell on magplar or magdk?
    Afterall you miss your magplar :p
    Aeg4n

The Flawless Conqueror
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

hghuR1R.png

Well zaan looks like a balance set just adds 4k dps lol
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Raghul, if you used lightning vMA staff on back bar and opened with Destro ult while keeping Soul Harvest on the front bar, would that perform better? I'm not sure why you're gimping yourself without the chance for Concussion and Off Balance and both your Blockade and your Path will deal higher damage.

It's not particularly cheesy or anything. Arguably meteor is more cheesy for dummy tests, since you'd never use that skill in PvE. You'll need either single target Soul Harvest or AoE destro ult for trials. Also for High Elves (like me) it should be DPS better than fire destro in this DW/Destro setup. What race are you again?

Edited by Maulkin on February 21, 2018 11:34AM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Nox_Noir
    Nox_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭