The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Soul Assault

GreenhaloX
GreenhaloX
✭✭✭✭✭
Soul Assault is brutal and has to be the best PvP ult for 1-on-1. I have been hit by damages from 12-19k with that alone. You don't see that numbers from meteor or the destro ult (unless the destro ult is stacked by multiple toons; but you can avoid/roll out of the desto ult, even the Eye of the Flame.) Since on console where you don't have an add-on to tell you when to block or when to dodge roll (which I am contend that these type of add-ons should not be allowed; it's kind of like permissive cheating there), it is very difficult to know when it is coming. Thus, it is very difficult to block or dodge a Soul Assault blast; basically, you can't. It is like it doesn't matter what build/setup you have or how much resistance you can pile on, once you get hit by one, you know the end is rapidly near. Even while blocking, my hp just drains like an open faucet. Oh, don't nerf Soul Assault. I want one. I think everyone should slot one on their bar. That would be a cool sight just seeing everybody blasting away at each other with Soul Assault. That would be a fair fight; whoever is the first to pop it would surely win.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can outheal, outblock, or simply line-of sight SA. It's a very easy ult to counter. The only reason I use it is cause I main a magplar and don't have a great alternative.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This again?

There were recent changes to Soul Assault in the patch notes:
    "Soul Magic
    Soul Assault: This ability and its morphs no longer snare the enemy target.
    Developer Comment:
    One of the main counters to channeled abilities is being able to break light of sight/out range the ability, which is extremely difficult when faced with a 70% snare."

So practice line of sighting, blocking or healing? ZOS just increased the efficacy of line of sight as a counter to Soul Assault.
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely ever died to it and I play everything besides the wardens. Most class ultimates are better. I only use it on my magplar now that sweep has been made stamina. It's either SA or dawnbreaker.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't compare Soul Assault to Meteor or Storm. It makes no sense whatsoever.

The last 2 are AOE-utlimates whereas SA is a single-target ultimate that can be broken by line of sight(even a tiny tree breaks it like wtf).
    As e.g. a stamblade, you can block + vigor the first 2 ticks, then you can cloak and rip SA. On other stamina-toons you usually run s/b so blocking it shouldn't be an issue anyway. Block + heal and you'll be fine. (If you play in CP, just stuff CP into Thick Skinned and watch SA hit like a wet noodle!)

Soul Assault even got nerfed - to make it easier for people to break the beam. Not sure what more you want, to be honest. The ultimate is balanced, for what it actually does.
    Edited by Lieblingsjunge on February 15, 2018 2:38PM
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Console. That's it. On PC, and in two weeks for us, it doesn't snare anymore, making it easy to slip behind a tree.
    It's supposed to be a counter to medium armor builds and you have to think about it if running such a build. Block and heal and break line of sight.
    The 19k damage is over a four second duration, that's why you don't see those numbers with Meteor.
    And you're right - it can't be dodged (but blocked). Same as Radiant Destruction.
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    You are late to the party, the addons you mentioned got seriously gutted and aren't worth the performance issues that addons cuse in pvp anymore for anybody who has a brain (and isn't leading, because a big part of those addons is presenting information better to the user, so you don't have to check the map all the time for example or just have a better compass so you can give better directions.... or or or)

Soul Assault snare got seriously nerfed (removed?) on the life patch.
    That said I never had issues with it, but I only play healers, I just heal throug...
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Custos91 wrote: »
    You are late to the party, the addons you mentioned got seriously gutted and aren't worth the performance issues that addons cuse in pvp anymore for anybody who has a brain (and isn't leading, because a big part of those addons is presenting information better to the user, so you don't have to check the map all the time for example or just have a better compass so you can give better directions.... or or or)

Soul Assault snare got seriously nerfed (removed?) on the life patch.
    That said I never had issues with it, but I only play healers, I just heal throug...

Oh yeah, I can see, as a healer. You can heal through practically most attacks. Hell, I'm even seeing more and more healers running around with heavy build, which makes them more difficult to damage, and at the same time, they're healing some good stuff on the group. I guess, I didn't mention I been running a MagBlade, but no resto. I haven't made my way yet to the resto. I guess all the cool MagBlade kids are sporting resto on a bar for the healing ward. Vigor is really crap for mag toons. Oh yeah, also no trees, big boulder or concrete structure to run around in and hide in an open field fight. I think that is why I only get hit by one where there are no such readily around the area. Perhaps, the user are smart and tactful in using it.

I'm not calling for any nerf, or any more nerfing, or anything like that. I just think it's still one hell of an ult, when use at the right moment. When I get hit by a meteor, Eye of the Flame or Dawnbreaker, I rarely see it over 10k damage (again, unless the Eye is stacked by like 2 or 3 toons.) However, with tweaking up my build, I have been able to mitigate the Soul Assault to around the 12k mark, which is still a brutal hit. Previously, I was getting jacked up with 18 to 20-something k death cap.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, a player can't use any additional skills while channeling Soul Assault. When using other ults such as meteor or dawnbreaker, a player can use multiple skills in the time it takes to use SA. So even if those ults alone deal less damage, they offer better burst and you might take more dmg in total from multiple skills than you would take from SA alone in the same time.

The undodgeability and the high stamina drain when blocking, makes SA op against builds that rely on dodge as main defense, but in other situations it is not that great, because it is single target only, the dmg is spread over multiple seconds so less burst and more time for the enemy to react, and you are quite vulnerable while channeling it, especially against multiple opponents.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fought a bunch of people using soul assault yesterday. I lost exactly 0 of those fights, including a few nice 1vX situations where I was able to mitigate a soul assault and other ults. It’s a big blue beam, it should tick no more than once on you before you start reacting, by the second tick you should be defending against it.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on February 15, 2018 3:51PM
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't obvious what these people want. They all want magicka specs to be removed for all competitive forms of the game. It's pretty funny and sad actually.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on February 15, 2018 4:22PM
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    that's a hyperbolic statement and you know it.
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't obvious what these people want. They all want magicka specs to be removed for all competitive forms of the game. It's pretty funny and sad actually.

Huh.. what? Nahh..

• Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Huh.. what? Nahh..

Yeah, why have remove them when they can be weakened down to the level of free AP.

Op you need to give us what type of build youre playing so we can tell you the ways to counter. Instead, youre giving people a sassy attitude
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »

Huh.. what? Nahh..

Yeah, why have remove them when they can be weakened down to the level of free AP.

Op you need to give us what type of build youre playing so we can tell you the ways to counter. Instead, youre giving people a sassy attitude

Sassy.. what is that? Folks have already commented on the ways to counter it. I run a MagBlade for PvP and not yet made my way in using a restro for the Healing Ward. I'm still on the fence with throwing on restro for the back bar, so dropping in Healing Ward would surely compensate for the poor healing of a NB class abilities. Vigor is really not that good. I have trouble against those using Soul Assault, due to my MagBlade's less-than-favorable healing abilities. I just choose to keep both as damage dealers, currently, as I am able to best quite a few when I run into 1v1 or 1v2 (aside from those throwing the Soul Assault on me) and even more effective during zerg on zerg fights, because I can keep damaging from range with a Lightning or Inferno.

So, there is no way in whatever shape or form I am ever hinting on removing any mag specs. I would rather mag specs get buffed to compensate for those hard-hitting StamDK and StamPlar. No attitude here, by the way. Not sure how you came up with that. I just think Soul Assault is one of the better ult for PvP on 1v1 and no way to call it for anymore nerf. Some peeps may just misread or misunderstood. This is just a conversational thread piece; however, peeps are entitled to think, view or opinionate all they want, as long as everybody is not disrespecting or bashing on others; then it's cool.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was cheese for a while, with the snare gone its really not anymore. You also better be damn sure you kill the person because if not there goes your ult and you also better be sure you are in a 1v1 only because if someone else starts attacking you then you either disrupt your ult or hope you don't die while casting (you probably will).
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incap, Leap, DboS are all > Soul Assault. Why does SA cause so much distress for people?
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Incap, Leap, DboS are all > Soul Assault. Why does SA cause so much distress for people?

Probably cause some of us having trouble aren't that good; at least, I still consider myself not really a good PvPer. Yeah, yeah, git gud, whatever the heck that is. Is that even in the English dictionary? Humor aside, as a MagBlade, the Incap will do, as well as the leap of a DK will surely work; but all are contingent you still have ult points. I slotted back the Lotus Fan and it's working better to counter the user, given when it actually fires off. Man, with all these crazy lags going on in PvP, there have been many times you are so slow to swap bars or the skill being so delayed or not even firing off. So, technical factor can be a headache.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh.. what? Nahh..

Sassy.. what is that? Folks have already commented on the ways to counter it. I run a MagBlade for PvP and not yet made my way in using a restro for the Healing Ward. I'm still on the fence with throwing on restro for the back bar, so dropping in Healing Ward would surely compensate for the poor healing of a NB class abilities. Vigor is really not that good. I have trouble against those using Soul Assault, due to my MagBlade's less-than-favorable healing abilities. I just choose to keep both as damage dealers, currently, as I am able to best quite a few when I run into 1v1 or 1v2 (aside from those throwing the Soul Assault on me) and even more effective during zerg on zerg fights, because I can keep damaging from range with a Lightning or Inferno.

So, there is no way in whatever shape or form I am ever hinting on removing any mag specs. I would rather mag specs get buffed to compensate for those hard-hitting StamDK and StamPlar. No attitude here, by the way. Not sure how you came up with that. I just think Soul Assault is one of the better ult for PvP on 1v1 and no way to call it for anymore nerf. Some peeps may just misread or misunderstood. This is just a conversational thread piece; however, peeps are entitled to think, view or opinionate all they want, as long as everybody is not disrespecting or bashing on others; then it's cool.

Poor healing on magNB? Vigor on magNB? No wonder you struggle with Soul Assault.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Killset
    Killset
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    I fought a bunch of people using soul assault yesterday. I lost exactly 0 of those fights, including a few nice 1vX situations where I was able to mitigate a soul assault and other ults. It’s a big blue beam, it should tick no more than once on you before you start reacting, by the second tick you should be defending against it.

Were you on your Mag warden? If that is the case then it’s a no brainer. I eat SA for breakfast on my mag toons. Just spam harness. For stam it is a different world altogether. The snare removal was meh for me when I heard it was coming because you have to stop everything and block which reduces your speed to nothing anyway. The fact that I take 10-12k damage through block while losing half or more of my stamina pool is what I take issue with. This is in 5 heavy 2 medium with 6 impen and a ton into crit resist.

If you could run an ult that did 10-12k through block OR drained 50-70% of your opponents resources both would have a strong argument for being used. When you add it together it becomes a bit much. I guess we will have to see how the nerf plays out but I feel like it won’t be that big of a deal.

• Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nightblades should be the last class to complain about SA. With block + cloak alone you can reduce incoming damage by 75% and thats without counting things like resistance or HOT.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    soul assault is not really that dangerous 1v1 it's always been more of an xv1 ult.
    Invictus
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Killset wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Were you on your Mag warden? If that is the case then it’s a no brainer. I eat SA for breakfast on my mag toons. Just spam harness. For stam it is a different world altogether. The snare removal was meh for me when I heard it was coming because you have to stop everything and block which reduces your speed to nothing anyway. The fact that I take 10-12k damage through block while losing half or more of my stamina pool is what I take issue with. This is in 5 heavy 2 medium with 6 impen and a ton into crit resist.

If you could run an ult that did 10-12k through block OR drained 50-70% of your opponents resources both would have a strong argument for being used. When you add it together it becomes a bit much. I guess we will have to see how the nerf plays out but I feel like it won’t be that big of a deal.

Both mageblade and my heavy stamplar(I’m super bad)
  • shinikaze
    shinikaze
    ✭✭✭

Huh.. what? Nahh..

*if you are a vamp* cast mist and after 2 sec break (skill) and cloak :3
  • Rainingblood
    Rainingblood
    ✭✭✭
    I love it when people use SA on me. It helps me decide who to focus down first.
    Phoebe Anderson
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can cloak or use an invis pot and it breaks SA at the momment lol
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

Huh.. what? Nahh..

Poor healing on magNB? Vigor on magNB? No wonder you struggle with Soul Assault.

This so much, I couldn't let the truth just slide by.

This is whom makes nerf threads.

Using a Stam ability on a mag too, stats are wrong, wouldn't be surprised at all if some points are in health and Stam, CP probably all over the place, running x6 of a set.

I hate saying L2P, because it doesn't help.

So OP, check out some NB guides, it'll do you a world of good to see how a NB build is made, you may find that NB is not the correct class for you.

I think too many players pick NB. It's a very unforgiving class, it's very good but requires a very good player to do as well as it can
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn’t slow anymore. Problem solved.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a magblade, you have the most effective counter against SA, both in terms of resource cost and damage mitigation - cloak. Better than blocking, better than shielding, better than taking it to the face and healing through. Of all my toons, my magblade laughs off SA the easiest.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

Huh.. what? Nahh..

This so much, I couldn't let the truth just slide by.

This is whom makes nerf threads.

Using a Stam ability on a mag too, stats are wrong, wouldn't be surprised at all if some points are in health and Stam, CP probably all over the place, running x6 of a set.

I hate saying L2P, because it doesn't help.

So OP, check out some NB guides, it'll do you a world of good to see how a NB build is made, you may find that NB is not the correct class for you.

I think too many players pick NB. It's a very unforgiving class, it's very good but requires a very good player to do as well as it can

Not defending op but vigor can be used on a mageblade if base wd and max Stam are high enough and CP is allocated correctly. Allows you to drop resto in favor of hots beneath shields. I don't video myself but I've had success in bgs without resto, a lot because of vigor combined with path, funnel, and the new healthcost heal.

Op, teleport shade usually allows you to los sa. Elusive mist. High shields. Cloak after a couple of seconds. Keep a health pot or two. You'll be alright.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul Assault is brutal and has to be the best PvP ult for 1-on-1. I have been hit by damages from 12-19k with that alone. You don't see that numbers from meteor or the destro ult (unless the destro ult is stacked by multiple toons; but you can avoid/roll out of the desto ult, even the Eye of the Flame.) Since on console where you don't have an add-on to tell you when to block or when to dodge roll (which I am contend that these type of add-ons should not be allowed; it's kind of like permissive cheating there), it is very difficult to know when it is coming. Thus, it is very difficult to block or dodge a Soul Assault blast; basically, you can't. It is like it doesn't matter what build/setup you have or how much resistance you can pile on, once you get hit by one, you know the end is rapidly near. Even while blocking, my hp just drains like an open faucet. Oh, don't nerf Soul Assault. I want one. I think everyone should slot one on their bar. That would be a cool sight just seeing everybody blasting away at each other with Soul Assault. That would be a fair fight; whoever is the first to pop it would surely win.

Soul assault tickles.