The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Soul Assault

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran a few tests with Soul Assault vs Devouring Swarm recently and its no contest...

Devouring Swarm is a much, much, better Ult than SA...

SA is literally only effective against:

1) enemies that are already severely weakened...

2) enemies that are caught completely unaware...

3) enemies that are already being subject to a 1vx (and sometimes its not even effective in this circumstance)...

3) enemies that are complete noobs...

Soul Assault is overrated...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Soul Assault is brutal and has to be the best PvP ult for 1-on-1. I have been hit by damages from 12-19k with that alone. You don't see that numbers from meteor or the destro ult (unless the destro ult is stacked by multiple toons; but you can avoid/roll out of the desto ult, even the Eye of the Flame.) Since on console where you don't have an add-on to tell you when to block or when to dodge roll (which I am contend that these type of add-ons should not be allowed; it's kind of like permissive cheating there), it is very difficult to know when it is coming. Thus, it is very difficult to block or dodge a Soul Assault blast; basically, you can't. It is like it doesn't matter what build/setup you have or how much resistance you can pile on, once you get hit by one, you know the end is rapidly near. Even while blocking, my hp just drains like an open faucet. Oh, don't nerf Soul Assault. I want one. I think everyone should slot one on their bar. That would be a cool sight just seeing everybody blasting away at each other with Soul Assault. That would be a fair fight; whoever is the first to pop it would surely win.

Ummmm, my meteor can hit for 24k.....And I am more than positive others can hit for more than me....just saying, but it does cost a lot more than SA
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OGLezard wrote: »
    Soul Assault is brutal and has to be the best PvP ult for 1-on-1. I have been hit by damages from 12-19k with that alone. You don't see that numbers from meteor or the destro ult (unless the destro ult is stacked by multiple toons; but you can avoid/roll out of the desto ult, even the Eye of the Flame.) Since on console where you don't have an add-on to tell you when to block or when to dodge roll (which I am contend that these type of add-ons should not be allowed; it's kind of like permissive cheating there), it is very difficult to know when it is coming. Thus, it is very difficult to block or dodge a Soul Assault blast; basically, you can't. It is like it doesn't matter what build/setup you have or how much resistance you can pile on, once you get hit by one, you know the end is rapidly near. Even while blocking, my hp just drains like an open faucet. Oh, don't nerf Soul Assault. I want one. I think everyone should slot one on their bar. That would be a cool sight just seeing everybody blasting away at each other with Soul Assault. That would be a fair fight; whoever is the first to pop it would surely win.

Ummmm, my meteor can hit for 24k.....And I am more than positive others can hit for more than me....just saying, but it does cost a lot more than SA

Yeah, that is some super hard hitting for PvP. Well, even so, the majority of the PvP population hp is around 22-26k, at least those non-tanky ones. So, you would literally be one-shotting almost everyone. Imagine the outcry for nerfing on this. Although, I got hit by an 18k Ice Comet once upon a time, but since gaining a bit more experience and tweaking up my build and CP allocation, most direct hit on me by any of the meteor doesn't tap out my health bar quite as much. Well, I still would get knocked down and all, but nowhere near as heavy of a hit as before. I may see a hit from a meteor registering anywhere around the 9ish, and yeah, if you're already getting other damages, that meteor could very well be the kill shot.
    Edited by GreenhaloX on February 17, 2018 3:39PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran a few tests with Soul Assault vs Devouring Swarm recently and its no contest...

Devouring Swarm is a much, much, better Ult than SA...

SA is literally only effective against:

1) enemies that are already severely weakened...

2) enemies that are caught completely unaware...

3) enemies that are already being subject to a 1vx (and sometimes its not even effective in this circumstance)...

3) enemies that are complete noobs...

Soul Assault is overrated...

Can agree with 1-3, but your second 3 about being a noob doesn't have anything to do with it. Every class and build have its advantages and disadvantages. Certain toons may take more damages from certain skills than others. Oh sure, once upon a time, I got hit by an 18k Swarm; I'm sure it's that second hard-hitting swarm ability. For the most part since, I'm only seeing swarm hits around 5-6k on me, and other times the swarm would just be swirling around me seemingly just tickling me until it goes away. However, that swarm does keeps me from going Shadow, and that's crappy. Ha ha.. (sigh)

So far, my kryptonite is still the SA. Even doing Lotus Fan in attempt to interrupt, I would leap and hit the other toon, but didn't stop the blast. Sure, blocking would mitigate the damages, but it's just been a slower death. I'm still seeing from 12-15k damages from the SA on me; whereas, I rarely get killed or knocked out by a meteor or an Eye of the Storm attack. I seem to be mitigating the damages from the meteor more effectively, and I have, thus far, been quite successful in rolling out/away from the Eye.

I'm not really complaining about the SA. I still think it's a hard-hitter for some, like me, and can be admired as a good/effective ult for 1v1. Given all the comments and tips in an effort to counter it, I haven't been quite successful in doing so yet. In quite a few fights, the other would best me by hitting that SA. Even when I almost had them; their hp looks seeming around 1/8 or 1/16 left, and it would probably just take one last skill pop to finish it, then I get hit by that SA. Also, in quite a few fights, both of us would literally get knocked out at the same time. Ha ha. Maybe it is time to experience with throwing the resto on a bar.
    Edited by GreenhaloX on February 17, 2018 4:22PM
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen all classes simply heal through soul assault, it might be the best ultima 1 v 1 but nothing OP about it all. Hell just roll a NB and stealth out of it, you only have to survive 2 seconds of the attack after that you can stealth... dragon knight just hold your shield out and yawn, sorc just shield stack it or port away.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another greenholix nerf thread
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a console player and I consider myself a subpar PvPer, but even I have no issues facing someone using SA. Maybe it's because I run Magplar. -shrug-

Shame, because I like it aesthetically.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datthaw wrote: »
    Another greenholix nerf thread

Nahh, man. I don't know how you even came up with this? If you even breeze through my comments within this thread, you can surely see I'm not calling for any nerf. Furthermore, if you ever see or read any of my other comments on other threads, I am well against any nerfing on toons and have been calling for buffing toons up for over 2 years now. I have never once called out for any nerfing for any toon skills or abilities.
    Cadbury wrote: »
    I'm a console player and I consider myself a subpar PvPer, but even I have no issues facing someone using SA. Maybe it's because I run Magplar. -shrug-

Shame, because I like it aesthetically.

Yeah, I hear you. Stam toon have good Vigor to mitigate it. Plus, if you're 2h, the added Momentum/Rally helps or you can drop that Javelin on them. Granted I'm fairly new to this MagBlade, only playing it for a few months. I'm usually a 2H StamDK or StamPlar. Yeah, I can say I haven't had much issue mitigating meteor or Eye of the Flame, but, I haven't found the key yet to mitigate SA against me as this MagBlade. Even folks have commented and recommended ways to counter it, but I haven't been fully successful. Just like yesterday, I fought a maxed toon and practically got that toon/player down below half health and continuing my onslaught, then I got hit by the SA. That, plus other damages, that SA registered at 15k on me. Well, I was next to an unflagged keep, so I rez and return to find the same toon still there. We reengage the fight, and I was able to knock that toon out and got my revenge kill. This time there was no SA use; maybe that toon didn't have the ult points build up yet.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harness Magicka. If you spam this for 2 seconds you will spend almost no magicka defending yourself since SA will count as a magical attack and refund you magicka. You can then cloak after 2 seconds if you want to cancel out the remainder of the channel or just spam Harness for another couple seconds.

Or equip a restoration staff for another shield and other benefits.

SA is a good skill, but with a very narrow application. It's balanced in that way even if it might feel too strong to certain builds.

Bottom line is basically everything in this game has a counter that can be built for and/or slotted, but that will usually take away an offensive option. That is what irritates people usually. That they will have to give something else up.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SA is an Xv1 ult. If you use it on someone's face, chances are he will probably burst you down before your SA even ends.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on February 18, 2018 6:59PM
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    As sombody that used SA before its last nerf, I can tell you it only works against bad players, good players can easily survive it and the best ones use that time to burst you down twice as hard.
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    Déjà vu

Advice to the OP:

Use the "search" tool before starting new threads, expecially if their content is "QQ about x".
    Read patch notes

PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As sombody that used SA before its last nerf, I can tell you it only works against bad players, good players can easily survive it and the best ones use that time to burst you down twice as hard.

Nahh.. it doesn't matter if someone is a considered to be a good or "bad" player. No such thing in PvP. Everyone dies from something; doesn't matter if from SA, Eye of the Flame, meteor or just from plethora of hit damages. Some folks are just, perhaps, better to mitigate certain things than others. I have killed others by just Ice Comet alone while it just seems to tickle others. I have trouble damaging certain ones with direct damage attacks, yet they go down quite easily with shock damage and/or DoTs. If SA wasn't so good or feasible, then folks wouldn't even slot it, but it can hit hard and does to some; thus, there are quite a few folks that slot it and use it, because it still works.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I icky use this

Nahh.. it doesn't matter if someone is a considered to be a good or "bad" player. No such thing in PvP. Everyone dies from something; doesn't matter if from SA, Eye of the Flame, meteor or just from plethora of hit damages. Some folks are just, perhaps, better to mitigate certain things than others. I have killed others by just Ice Comet alone while it just seems to tickle others. I have trouble damaging certain ones with direct damage attacks, yet they go down quite easily with shock damage and/or DoTs. If SA wasn't so good or feasible, then folks wouldn't even slot it, but it can hit hard and does to some; thus, there are quite a few folks that slot it and use it, because it still works.

There are most definitely good and bad players. I can't take out 4 good players in an open field. If you do, they are bad players. There are degrees of success in everything you do.

If you think of it as: "it didn't matter that I almost died twice fighting that guy, but i didn't and won"
    Instead of: "how could i have changed my play so i didn't almost die twice during that fight" then you won't improve to have increased success.

SA is usable bc it kills baddies easily, it's cheap, helps with sustain bc it allows for 2 regen ticks while doing damage, drains stamina, locks out of cloak. Most attacks do more damage than SA over 3.5 seconds.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I icky use this

There are most definitely good and bad players. I can't take out 4 good players in an open field. If you do, they are bad players. There are degrees of success in everything you do.

If you think of it as: "it didn't matter that I almost died twice fighting that guy, but i didn't and won"
    Instead of: "how could i have changed my play so i didn't almost die twice during that fight" then you won't improve to have increased success.

SA is usable bc it kills baddies easily, it's cheap, helps with sustain bc it allows for 2 regen ticks while doing damage, drains stamina, locks out of cloak. Most attacks do more damage than SA over 3.5 seconds.

Well, my man, most damages you can block easily within 3-4 seconds. Meteor, I block; it tickles me, and I may or may not get knocked down. Eye of the flame, I block; reducing damage and able to roll away. You can block incoming Dizzying Swing and Executioner assault from a DK. You can block to mitigate damages from a sorc's Mage Wrath or Endless Fury attack. You can block or roll away from Biting Jabs or Puncturing Sweeps from a Templar. You can also roll away from a Lethal Arrow, if you can see it coming. Yadda, yadda; I can go on and on. SA.. well, as you had mentioned, with its effects, I block, it doesn't matter, as health and resource drain away rapidly; I can't cloak, I can't roll/dodge out of it. I guess, one of these day I'll figure out a remedy for the SA coming at my MagBlade. It's different on my 2h DK; Forward Momentum and Vigor up, then Stampede, followed by assault of Dizzying Swing and Executioner (well, dependence upon how much stam resources I have.) I can also throw up the Fragmented Shield for further damage mitigation. However, it hasn't been so cake and peachy for me on my MagBlade.

Anyways, this isn't really about how bad you are or how good of a player someone is seemingly labeled; however, just to comment. If you're able to best 4 "good" players and can somehow do it "legitimately" so, then, you are the rarity. 2, 3, or 4 ("good" player type) peeps are normally putting out loads of damages. Thus, if a single dude/toon that is able to mitigate all that incoming damages, then, good for you and more power to you. However, I'm just a skeptic or realist, by nature, I guess, but, I'm not in a position to say anyone is manipulating or not. However, to a sane and prudent mind, it can be questionable when a single one is able to best others 3 or more times in odd. All good, though. It's just a game and I'm not the game police.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

What are you talking about? LOL of course there are good and bad players.

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, you're right.. my bad. Yes, those ones with 500 or less CP in the Vivec campaigns where the majority are max CP toons/players. In 1v1, I don't even bother, or if I see those riding along, and I can easily score a quick kill, I don't (anymore, ha ha.) I prefer to fight someone that is more evenly matched. Damn, even those in the 100 CP ranges and lower are rolling around in Vivec. Not that they can't, but I would surely be calling out for a group. I guess one might considered those much lower CP toons continuously losing a fight against much higher CP toons/players a "bad"player, or one may also consider the higher toon a "bad" player for even attacking or fighting a lower level toon iust for the quick and easy kill. Ok, yeah, I'll bite; there are surely good and bad players.

Anyways.. aside; it doesn't matter. After this good and longer holiday weekend with a bit more hours of gameplay, I just came to the realization that a MagBlade is really not that effective with 1v1 or 1vX, or perhaps, I'm just not that good with a MagBlade. Thus, I scrapped it altogether and re-invented the same toon into a StamBlade (DW, though); which I have a 2H Stamblade and was quite effective with that one in PvP. Yeah, Lotus Fan isn't doing much for me against the SA, but Ambush, Surprise Attack with Incap, or Venow Arrow, or Dawnbreaker; yeah, they been toasted. MagBlade.. sheesh, you all that like it, you can have it!
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, you're right.. my bad. Yes, those ones with 500 or less CP in the Vivec campaigns where the majority are max CP toons/players. In 1v1, I don't even bother, or if I see those riding along, and I can easily score a quick kill, I don't (anymore, ha ha.) I prefer to fight someone that is more evenly matched. Damn, even those in the 100 CP ranges and lower are rolling around in Vivec. Not that they can't, but I would surely be calling out for a group. I guess one might considered those much lower CP toons continuously losing a fight against much higher CP toons/players a "bad"player, or one may also consider the higher toon a "bad" player for even attacking or fighting a lower level toon iust for the quick and easy kill. Ok, yeah, I'll bite; there are surely good and bad players.

Anyways.. aside; it doesn't matter. After this good and longer holiday weekend with a bit more hours of gameplay, I just came to the realization that a MagBlade is really not that effective with 1v1 or 1vX, or perhaps, I'm just not that good with a MagBlade. Thus, I scrapped it altogether and re-invented the same toon into a StamBlade (DW, though); which I have a 2H Stamblade and was quite effective with that one in PvP. Yeah, Lotus Fan isn't doing much for me against the SA, but Ambush, Surprise Attack with Incap, or Venow Arrow, or Dawnbreaker; yeah, they been toasted. MagBlade.. sheesh, you all that like it, you can have it!

Are you saying you have an easier time dealing with Soul Assault on a stam NB than mag NB? Without breaking LOS? >_>
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

Magblade is great for 1v1, its been very top teir in duels for a long time.

As far 1vX it really comes down to your personal magblade playstyle. I used to be pretty decent in 1vX if I ran a slightly tankier setup but I play more glass cannon now.

Magblade is definitely a class that relies on the players skill more then the class being strong though. You can have the same setup on 2 magblades and 1 die in 4 seconds and the other stop a group in its tracks. Zendren used to duel with nothing but a bucket and slap the best duelists around like they were ragdolls.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    This again?

There were recent changes to Soul Assault in the patch notes:
    "Soul Magic
    Soul Assault: This ability and its morphs no longer snare the enemy target.
    Developer Comment:
    One of the main counters to channeled abilities is being able to break light of sight/out range the ability, which is extremely difficult when faced with a 70% snare."

So practice line of sighting, blocking or healing? ZOS just increased the efficacy of line of sight as a counter to Soul Assault.

omg this kind of heavy handed reversal on bad design decisions is what we need to see more of today
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    Soul Assault is OP meow?
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SA is an Xv1 ult. If you use it on someone's face, chances are he will probably burst you down before your SA even ends.

Pretty much this.

And to op: SA only finishes or is an annoyance to one if caught under big pressure and/or at out of resources kind of situation, but then at those situations it does not matter what ultimate is used on you if it connects, you would go down anyways. So SA is not a problem imo. If you are prepared for it, it just tickles.

Personally using it very rarely, on any build.. maybe last time half a year ago on some ranged beamplar for a day, then switched for more efficient ulties after got my "deathstar" fix out of it haha, there always are more multi purpose ulties for me that give me better value for the slot it takes.

Only reason for me to use it if feel like it is to use it as a gimmick to make my target spend their stam on blocking it if they overreact to it (many do panic) and do a proper stun & burst combo after it. Still, better ulties to do that 99% of the time on my setups. Its just too easy to shield up against and stam toons if smart resource sustain can shrug it off way too easy imo.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not a good PvP player at all, but I haven’t once died to Soul Assault and that’s saying something..
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this post was necro'd from 10 months ago. keep that in mind.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »

with a relevant comment on how the devs completely removed a 70% snare...they didn't change it to 10% or 20%

they said **** it we dun goofed and reversed the decision.
    I use SA and still I applaud them for that decision.

I find SA very useful in PvP, it's actually my main source of inescapable burst damage/dot. it has a low cost so with light weaving it's up whenever I need it.

werewolf needs similar attention. so does bow as long as the game remains tab targeted...there simply isn't enough skill involved to justify the amount damage it can do. making bow tab targeted is a decision the devs need to address and perhaps move on to more modern targeting system that doesn't give ranged DPS practically the same as CQ with none of the risk.
    Edited by heavier on December 22, 2018 9:59PM
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    heavier wrote: »
    mav1234 wrote: »

with a relevant comment on how the devs completely removed a 70% snare...they didn't change it to 10% or 20%

they said **** it we dun goofed and reversed the decision.
    I use SA and still I applaud them for that decision.

I find SA very useful in PvP, it's actually my main source of inescapable burst damage/dot. it has a low cost so with light weaving it's up whenever I need it.

werewolf needs similar attention. so does bow as long as the game remains tab targeted...there simply isn't enough skill involved to justify the amount damage it can do. making bow tab targeted is a decision the devs need to address and perhaps move on to more modern targeting system that doesn't give ranged DPS practically the same as CQ with none of the risk.

would I like SA more snare if it had a 70% immobilization? I should if I were the only one using the skill, but with this additional factor comes more users and then when it comes to be used against me, I really would rather not to have 70% movement speed debuff for 3.5 seconds...ludicrous.
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to add, SA is actually a good ult on a mag plar.Vamp Bane --> Eclipse (broken skill, not in the sense that it is OP by design, but in the fact that it returns damage for dk armor damage return, and it sometimes returns damage on things such as dots. Iv killed myself in 1 gcd because it procced off my 5 dots and RIP)--> Purifying Light --> SA hits like a truck, even through block. Other than that, it's a fairly sub par v MOST people.
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only overpowered in 1VX where somebody, somewhere, will snare or CC you during Soul Assault, at which point it's GG because you will take 12k+ damage from SA alone. If bombarded with multiple other skills at the same time, you're a goner.

Mobility might save you if you can work around snares and stuns.
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    Save your Soul Assaults for those PITA nightblades. No one likes those cloak spamming cockroaches.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to add, SA is actually a good ult on a mag plar.Vamp Bane --> Eclipse (broken skill, not in the sense that it is OP by design, but in the fact that it returns damage for dk armor damage return, and it sometimes returns damage on things such as dots. Iv killed myself in 1 gcd because it procced off my 5 dots and RIP)--> Purifying Light --> SA hits like a truck, even through block. Other than that, it's a fairly sub par v MOST people.

damn the secret's out
    I'm a templar btw and I always SA thru backlash
    I'm building penetration up as well :^) makes it hit closer to tooltip
    stam tho for that 2h pwnage
    Save your Soul Assaults for those PITA nightblades. No one likes those cloak spamming cockroaches.

so satisfying cuz they usually are squish