The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So, are the early buyers of the new housing...

• G1Countdown
    G1Countdown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, once a transaction concludes and the customer gets the product, then that is it. There is no take-backs. It is fortunate for the players and unfortunate for ZOS, but there is no undoing it. The transaction is complete and they get to keep the houses.
  • SinNoAria
    SinNoAria
    ✭✭
    In my experience, once a transaction concludes and the customer gets the product, then that is it. There is no take-backs. It is fortunate for the players and unfortunate for ZOS, but there is no undoing it. The transaction is complete and they get to keep the houses.

I've seen the opposite many times and have mentioned earlier cases where they have been undone. Hence why I'm wondering which route ZoS will take.
    Edited by SinNoAria on February 14, 2018 4:21PM
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't.

Inb4 but "law." Crowns are not legal tender, in other games gold can be bought, and it can be taken away.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many bought it? If such a thing is okay, then I'd be tempted if it was the Princely Palace, but deep down it would feel...wrong, no matter how expensive these houses are.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    If you see a large "house" for sale for 1 crown and you decide to buy it, you are either a dickhead or plain dumb to think it should be okay.

Or you think cool a sale I'm going to grab this, and then when they say it was a mistake you don't complain if they give your crown back and remove the house.

Crown Store sales usually make it pretty obvious that it is a limited time offer. A player would have to be pretty dense to look at a 1 Crown price, with no countdown or any indication that a special pricing event is happening, and think "cool a sale". What is more likely to happen is they think "cool, they screwed up, grab it now before they realize it".

The reverse side being if they were offering it up for only one crown why would that automatically mean limited time sale? Usually limited time sales are to pressure you into a purchase you might otherwise not make. Not much pressure when the price is one gold.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

We really need an answer on this. It's quite a serious issue, that some people are going to have access to a house practically for free, while others have to pay what I assume will be a hefty price.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SinNoAria wrote: »

I've seen the opposite many times and have mentioned earlier cases where they have been undone. Hence why I'm wondering which route ZoS will take.

I'm wondering how many times I will see you in that very house online in guild roster.

People port using guild roster, so if you're gonna be in the house, in game, that was not even officially released yet, it's a bit weird for you to be here acting like you weren't.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

We really need an answer on this. It's quite a serious issue, that some people are going to have access to a house practically for free, while others have to pay what I assume will be a hefty price.

No you don't need it. You want it.

Learning the difference between these things leads to a much happier outlook :P
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you see a large "house" for sale for 1 crown and you decide to buy it, you are either a dickhead or plain dumb to think it should be okay.

Or you think cool a sale I'm going to grab this, and then when they say it was a mistake you don't complain if they give your crown back and remove the house.

Crown Store sales usually make it pretty obvious that it is a limited time offer. A player would have to be pretty dense to look at a 1 Crown price, with no countdown or any indication that a special pricing event is happening, and think "cool a sale". What is more likely to happen is they think "cool, they screwed up, grab it now before they realize it".

The reverse side being if they were offering it up for only one crown why would that automatically mean limited time sale? Usually limited time sales are to pressure you into a purchase you might otherwise not make. Not much pressure when the price is one gold.

The idea of a 1 Crown house being the normal price is outside of reasonable expectation for this game. People understand this, and those that are dense enough to not understand it, probably need to have that explained to them.
    Carbonised wrote: »
    ZOS_GinaBruno

Do we even know that someone has purchased something from the Crown Store for 1 Crown while the store was bugged? I get that we have plenty of people who would have exploited that bug, but maybe ZOS got lucky and pulled the store down before those people showed up.

Anyway, as this was an exploit, I doubt they will be talking about it. They are talking about the XP exploit rather out of character, and they are probably done talking about that one, too.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The idea of a 1 Crown house being the normal price is outside of reasonable expectation for this game."

Agreed and sometimes things outside the norm do happen. I'm not saying people who may have had the opportunity didn't take advantage knowing it was a mistake. I am saying you can't lump everybody into that category because you can't possibly know what they were thinking when they purchased the home. Dense has nothing to do with it and frankly tossing out insults either directly or indirectly is multitudes worse behavior than someone grabbing a bargain (intended or not) in the crown store.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The idea of a 1 Crown house being the normal price is outside of reasonable expectation for this game."

Agreed and sometimes things outside the norm do happen. I'm not saying people who may have had the opportunity didn't take advantage knowing it was a mistake. I am saying you can't lump everybody into that category because you can't possibly know what they were thinking when they purchased the home.

You know, I really don't care what they were thinking at the time. My ban criteria would be based on what they did, not what I imagined they were thinking.

• Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    As someone who took business law as part of my degree, let me correct some of the misinformation in this thread. If ZOS accidentally sold some houses for cheap, the sales are legitimate and the customers get to keep the items for that price.

Merchants have the responsibility for pricing their goods and controlling the checkout process. A price tag is considered a legal offer. However, the law usually allows merchants to refuse to make a sale if an item is mismarked.

In this case, however, the transaction was complete and cash changed hands...so the offer was accepted and the transaction codified. The merchant sold the items at a price they listed it, which was accepted by the customer, so the customers are entitled to the items. If you guys saw $1 crown houses, ya shoulda grabbed them. ZOS can’t legally reverse sales after payment is accepted.

As we used to say in law class, while conventional wisdom suggests “caveat emptor,” that was Rome, and under the modern U.S. U.C.C. laws, it’s more “caveat sellor,” because merchants are usually on the hook,when mistakes are made in the buying process.

This was great and all, but I’m sure Zenimax has this scenario covered in their terms of service that everyone signs and agrees to.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure they can do a whole lot

They'll probably just let em keep it
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would seem odd to me to punish exploiters for taking advantage of something in game, but then not something else. Although punish is a strong word since you would have just saw it for a crown and been like, 'cool' and just bought it, not like you know zos' pricing.

Personally, I think they should just list it for one crown officially whenever it's released.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faunter wrote: »
    Were all 3 available for purchase? Source?

Yes, they were and many purchased all for the price. They still have them and I have a guildie who has visited some who I trust.

My guess is that ZOS is trying to figure out a way to automate the removal of the houses without loosing the items stored within.

As for the fact, and I think this is rather clear in the law, that the folks who bought them for 1 crown are entitled to keep them, I really doubt that a video game company will pay much attention to the actual law on this. Much of the stuff they do in their EULA, such a forbidding the sale of gold and items for fiat currency, is totally illegal and has been decided many times in court. Most tech companies have little interest in what the actual laws are and simply count on the massive advantage that the court system gives large corporations with teams of lawyers over any potential plaintiffs. ZOS, having beaten Oculus in court to the tune of 1/2 a billion over something as small as an NDA breach, seem to have plenty of legal horsepower to do what they will as far as the law is concerned. I think the buyers of the houses should probably just feel lucky that ZOS is not blaming them for the mistake that ZOS made and banning them for exploiting like the guys in imp city.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »

Yes, they were and many purchased all for the price. They still have them and I have a guildie who has visited some who I trust.

My guess is that ZOS is trying to figure out a way to automate the removal of the houses without loosing the items stored within.

As for the fact, and I think this is rather clear in the law, that the folks who bought them for 1 crown are entitled to keep them, I really doubt that a video game company will pay much attention to the actual law on this. Much of the stuff they do in their EULA, such a forbidding the sale of gold and items for fiat currency, is totally illegal and has been decided many times in court. Most tech companies have little interest in what the actual laws are and simply count on the massive advantage that the court system gives large corporations with teams of lawyers over any potential plaintiffs. ZOS, having beaten Oculus in court to the tune of 1/2 a billion over something as small as an NDA breach, seem to have plenty of legal horsepower to do what they will as far as the law is concerned. I think the buyers of the houses should probably just feel lucky that ZOS is not blaming them for the mistake that ZOS made and banning them for exploiting like the guys in imp city.

Do you think bans will occur at a later date? Or are the people who purchased homes for 1 crown safe?
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All three were available for 1 crown? I'd thought it was just Coldharbour. In that case, why should I consider buying the one I wanted (the palace) for full price if someone else got it for 1 crown. Screw that.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Do you think bans will occur at a later date? Or are the people who purchased homes for 1 crown safe?

Honestly, I doubt that they will do anything to the people who purchased them. Not because of "laws" but because they don't have a way to fix this. I believe they are limited to three choices:

1. Do nothing. Maybe add a "demerit" or comment to their account so that if it happens again, they remember.
    2. Permanently ban them from the game. Doubt this will happen.
    3. Charge them additional Crowns. Many would not be able to pay, and if they didn't, the response would have to be one of the other two.

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the people who bought them for 1 crown get to keep them, and the houses are put up for regular price and not for 1 crown, then I'll never buy crowns again. End of ZOS. Your move.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DjinnRa wrote: »
    If the people who bought them for 1 crown get to keep them, and the houses are put up for regular price and not for 1 crown, then I'll never buy crowns again. End of ZOS. Your move.

End of ZOS? I am pretty sure that you are not the only one buying stuff for this game. :smile:

I will be interested to hear how they handled this. ZOS won't say, but maybe we will hear from the people who bought one of these houses.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LadyAstrum wrote: »
    All three were available for 1 crown? I'd thought it was just Coldharbour. In that case, why should I consider buying the one I wanted (the palace) for full price if someone else got it for 1 crown. Screw that.

and if someone got a £125 blender for £50, you would not want that blender anymore - even if it was top of the line and totally worth £125?

What other people pay for something does not devalue things for me - if I find value in them.

*Still buying*
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Honestly, I doubt that they will do anything to the people who purchased them. Not because of "laws" but because they don't have a way to fix this. I believe they are limited to three choices:

1. Do nothing. Maybe add a "demerit" or comment to their account so that if it happens again, they remember.
    2. Permanently ban them from the game. Doubt this will happen.
    3. Charge them additional Crowns. Many would not be able to pay, and if they didn't, the response would have to be one of the other two.

What if they disable the house for people that bought it and require them to either repurchase it for the full price or contact support to get their furnishings delivered back to them?
  • ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have recently removed a few unnecessary and combative posts. Please be sure to keep this discussion civil and respectful.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    LadyAstrum wrote: »

and if someone got a £125 blender for £50, you would not want that blender anymore - even if it was top of the line and totally worth £125?

What other people pay for something does not devalue things for me - if I find value in them.

*Still buying*

I thought someone would reply with an example like this. I don't recall seeing a blender anywhere for £1. If I spent £125 on it but someone knowingly took advantage of the stores stupidity and got it for £1, yes I'd be annoyed. These houses are over-priced as it is without mistakes like this.

I'll see how I feel when the time comes, but I don't see why ZoS deserves my money if folk can get away with spending 1 crown on something they knew was mistakenly listed so low. Not even the cheapest house sells for 1 crown.

Edited by LadyAstrum on February 19, 2018 5:49PM
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »

Heck if I know. They totally surprised me issuing bans for the XP exploiters in imp city. I hope it's all a new leaf that they are turning over and that they are going to go after the CE users that are a real problem in both PVP and endgame PVE stuff.

As for the housing, I really have no idea, and no longer would want to hazard a guess what they plan to do. The lack of any saying anything I construe as perhaps an indication that they have not decided. They have a lot of mess to clean up right now after this last patch. Notably, the notes today did not mention fixing Cyr que or CC immunity bugs and these are really major so it is probably best they just forget about the housing thing for a few weeks and then decide.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    It happened, get over it. things like this happen in real life
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given that it was just an empty plot of blue land, a single crown sounds reasonable.
  • KyleTheYounger
    KyleTheYounger
    ✭✭✭
    Alastrine wrote: »
    Apparently they were up and there was at least one that was available for next to literally nothing... so they were taken down quickly to be repaired.
    But I too am curious to know if the people that were fortunate enough to be on for that window get to keep the houses they "bought".

Which houses were these? Was it one of the $$$$$ high level ones? Like that oversized Redguard style palace? I forget it's name.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also been wondering what ZoS will do about this. To me it is an exploit of a bug - an obvious bug, but i know how hard it would be to not hit "buy".

I just want to see the folks have those houses removed from their collections (or since it will likely be a case-by-case thing - the buyer could choose to pay the difference in Crowns and keep the house which they may have already started decorating)

No one should be rewarded for exploiting.

As for the seller being responsible for the pricing there are caveats. There are stores with "Scanning Code of Practice" signs in which they will honor a certain difference in dollar value if an item scans wrong, but not beyond that.

This feels like if a online car dealer had a glitch and every single car was $1 when they were actually all supposed to be $18,000. No one is getting their car for $1 - even if they'd already paid their $1.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mix wrote: »
    I have also been wondering what ZoS will do about this. To me it is an exploit of a bug - an obvious bug, but i know how hard it would be to not hit "buy".

I just want to see the folks have those houses removed from their collections (or since it will likely be a case-by-case thing - the buyer could choose to pay the difference in Crowns and keep the house which they may have already started decorating)

No one should be rewarded for exploiting.

As for the seller being responsible for the pricing there are caveats. There are stores with "Scanning Code of Practice" signs in which they will honor a certain difference in dollar value if an item scans wrong, but not beyond that.

This feels like if a online car dealer had a glitch and every single car was $1 when they were actually all supposed to be $18,000. No one is getting their car for $1 - even if they'd already paid their $1.

This is pretty much how I feel. It is exploiting something that wasn't even meant to be on sale yet, let alone for 1 crown, but if ZoS is okay with this, then I'll be sure to look out for such "bargains" in future.

I hope a lot of the people who would have purchased those houses at their full price already now got them for 1 crown. It serves ZoS right.