Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Best way to get nirnhoned

Soreenah8882
Soreenah8882
Soul Shriven
I am trying to find nirnhoned anything. Can anybody help me out? I can't seem to find any help on it while trying to look it up myself.
Thanks

Best Answers

• Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a 9 trait crafter they will be able to make the item required. You will probably have to buy the nirn trait items though as the weapon ones are expensive. Search guild stores for bargains. PcNA prices are about 1-2k for each fortified one and 14-15k for each potent nirn.
    Answer ✓
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you belong to a good guild, there is probably a crafter who will make you the items if you give them the nirncrux. You'll still have to get the nirncrux, of course, but some crafters don't charge for research items.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most guild kiosk will have Nirnhorned Items for Research. You will know them as they will be Unimproved L1 Iron Swords selling for 16,000 gold. I think armor is in the 8K range right now.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JungleBoot that's not the point at all, the point was its a random drop so to increase group play, give crafters something to do. So people fill in the gaps. Creating new toons to farm it would be way overkill!!!!

Nirn is rare, those prices are not bad at all for the time to farm the mat and to have obtained all pieces to research

If you farm the mat most crafters will make for free. Xbox EU fortified is 5k, armour made in that trait 8k potent about 20k and weopon made 22-23k

Provide the mat yourself and id make it free for you.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Answer ✓
  • JungleBoot
    JungleBoot
    ✭✭✭
    Those prices are outrageous. You go and farm for hours on end to obtain a few fortified / potent nirncrux to only learn nirnhoned items don't drop in the game world. You can only obtain 1 via a non-repeatable quest. I'm guessing in One Tamriel players could try to farm that one quest line. But, I imagine the hassle is not worth it.

Oh yeah for those that can't see it. You could farm the quest line by constantly deleting and creating characters for the sole purpose of running that quest in hope of getting different items.
    Platform: PS4
    CP 405
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JungleBoot wrote: »
    Those prices are outrageous. You go and farm for hours on end to obtain a few fortified / potent nirncrux to only learn nirnhoned items don't drop in the game world. You can only obtain 1 via a non-repeatable quest. I'm guessing in One Tamriel players could try to farm that one quest line. But, I imagine the hassle is not worth it.

Oh yeah for those that can't see it. You could farm the quest line by constantly deleting and creating characters for the sole purpose of running that quest in hope of getting different items.

The whole point of nirnhoned is to get you to participate in the "M" part of MMO--multiplayer.

When Nirnhoned first came out, that's how people got traits. They'd get their one trait from the quest, learn it, and then start trading traits. "I have staves. You have swords. I'll craft you a nirnhoned staff, and you craft me a nirnhoned sword." And slowly, people learned all the Nirnhoned traits.

That was then. Now, so many people know the traits that people just buy them instead of trading them. But the idea is still the same: you're not going to learn all of them unless you interact with another player (even if that interaction is as limited as buying an item they have listed in a store).

And the price is fine. Nirnhoned is usually the last, 9th trait that people learn. Even with everything maxed, it still takes about a month to learn a trait. So that's a maximum of 9 nirnhoned items that you need to buy in one month to keep your research queue full. That's pretty affordable--just doing your daily writs will supply enough gold to buy 9 nirnhoned items each month, and once you've learned them all, you're done.

(And of course, if you go farm for the nirncrux, you can usually get research items for no additional cost, if you just supply the nirncrux to a crafter.)
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's one trait out of 9 that requires some hard work and communication.

Right now I'm up to 7/8 on my research so nirn will be coming up for me soon (relatively speaking).
    I do one circuit a day of craglorn and pick what I can see from the road (ore/wood). I also only do it during the weekdays and try to get that done before dinnertime.

I've got 13 nirns in my bank ready to hand to someone in my guild to make me something for research.
    And this is because I don't want to end up 1) farming for hours at end because I need the nirn or 2) paying thousands of gold at guild traders because I need the nirn.
  • JungleBoot
    JungleBoot
    ✭✭✭
    I have checked the guild trader prices for Nirnhoned items. They go for around 20K for something crafted frommaple wood or iron. That's ridiculous and not economical. It's not like every player is "rolling" in fake virtual cash. I don't mind wasting my time farming for nirncrux. The thing that bothers me is another player thinking he has to be an "ESO billionaire" and jacking up prices in the market by buying fairly priced items and selling them higher. I'd spend 500g or 1k for nirnhoned researchable item. I think that is fair. But yeah, I'd prefer free from drops -- which can't be achieved.
    Edited by JungleBoot on February 6, 2018 12:18AM
    Platform: PS4
    CP 405
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have checked the guild trader prices for Nirnhoned items. They go for around 20K for something crafted frommaple wood or iron. That's ridiculous and not economical. It's not like every player is "rolling" in fake virtual cash. I don't mind wasting my time farming for nirncrux. The thing that bothers me is another player thinking he has to be an "ESO billionaire" and jacking up prices in the market by buying fairly priced items and selling them higher. I'd spend 500g or 1k for nirnhoned researchable item. I think that is fair. But yeah, I'd prefer free from drops -- which can't be achieved.

Um, it's called supply and demand. 20K is a bit high, but not outrageous. On PC/EU, I bought a nirnhoned staff for research recently for 14K. Potent nirncurx sell for around that much.

The prices are high not because people are greedy. It's because nirncrux is so rare. People could spend an hour farming Craglorn and pick up maybe one crux. And the odds are 2-to-1 that the crux is fortified (for armor) instead of potent (for weapons). So not only are weapon nirncrux dropping at half the rate, weapon nirncrux is actually used in some gear setups whereas nobody uses weapon nirn in actual gear that they use. So with the rarity of weapon nirn and people actually using it for their gear, that's why it's so expensive. In contrast, I spent 2-3K for an armor research item--just a fraction of the price of a weapon research item.

If you don't want to pay gold and want to farm it, sure, go ahead and farm Craglorn nodes until you get the nirncrux. Then find a crafter who will make that research item for you--many will do it for free or for a nominal fee (the 500g-1K that you want to pay), but only if you supply the nirncrux. Because the nirncrux is what makes up 95+% of the price of those research items. But I suspect that after a few hours spent trying to get nirncrux to drop, you'll soon understand why it costs so much.
    Edited by code65536 on February 6, 2018 12:27AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

um...yeah. Check the price of potent and fortified nirncrux. Last time I bothered to check the fortified was around 5k, potent at least 8k.

You don't really have to be an "ESO billionaire" to realize you're doing something wrong if you sell an item for 4k LESS than the cost of one of the mats you needed to make it. Add in the time a player spent to learn all the traits, and yes, you won't find nirnhoned research items in the guildstores for 1k.

For research items it does NOT matter what level mat is used to make it. If a guildie or even a random player gives me the nirncrux to make them a nirnhoned research item, they'll get whatever I have the most of. So you want a nirnhoned light armor piece? It will probably be bosmer or khajiit style ancestor silk. Want a heavy cuirass? Probably bosmer or khajiit and rubedite. Ditto for anything requiring wood. So it could be maple, or it could be ruby ash.