The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would You Like to Grow Your Own Materials?

• Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    It would be awesome to have a small plot of land or indoor pots to grow and harvest raw ancestor silk, provisioning mats, and alchemy reagents. This could potentially be a fun and engaging system that helps add even more value to owning a Homestead.
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Yes! More reasons to visit houses, and no way this would compete too much with still also harvesting in wilderness. Would be a fun addition. Anything adding more functionality to houses is allways very welcome, like the long waited storage soon coming :)
    Edited by Miaura on January 31, 2018 8:36PM
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Tandor wrote: »
    The more stuff you can do in your instanced home, the less time you spend in the open world and the greater the impression for new players who just see empty zones that the game is dead.
    So should ZOS stop making new homes and furnishings because that causes people to spent more time in their homes. And the storage chests. People will be going to their homes a lot more instead of actual banks.
    Didgerion wrote: »
    There are plenty farm games out there!

I want ZOS to be focusing on fighting mechanics, balance and performance and not on pots with growing materials.
    You never played Skyrim, did you? It was added to Skyrim when housing was added as a DLC. Being an Elder Scroll franchise, it's not a far fetched idea that would have limitations being a MMO on top if it.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Mazbt
      Mazbt
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      just yes....do it zos!!
      Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
      Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
      - many others
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      O_LYKOS wrote: »
      More things to do when we log in plus it'll give us more use for our homes

^^^^^ this . It doesn’t even have to be a significant amount . Let us grow , say, 3-5 of 3 (max) different flowers in a 20 hour period (same cooldown as horse training).
      XB NA
      High Kinlady

PC : Kinlady

• SisterGoat
      SisterGoat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      I'd like to grow plants and mushrooms. Everything else is easy to find, and it makes up for the fact that there is no hireling for alchemy.
      Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
      Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
      Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
      PC/NA
    • kargen27
      kargen27
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't have room in my homes for all the stuff out there now. I would have to remove things so I could add these.

A big problem today (my opinion) is people do not spend enough time outdoors. And now we want to put something in a game so while we are not going out doors our characters won't have to leave the house either?

I wouldn't mind being able to plant a garden though that produces things like carrots, corn, potatoes and other veggies. Maybe even let them very occasionally drop an ear of corn you can display. Even if the garden were just there and didn't produce anything it could add to decorating a home. Takes me back to the first problem though what chair do I get rid of to put in a tomato plant?

If this were added to the game I would prefer to see an option between getting goods through hirelings or from a home. You could have plants ore and other things associated with what the hirelings bring inside a home and that character would get the same things a hireling would send him/her by harvesting them in the home. One home per day per character and only for the hirelings they have put points into. Also would be random. You couldn't simply plant Columbine and get one of those every day.

What I really want though is the yard laid out in a grid and an option to choose from several textures for each square in the grid. I have a home that is screaming for a nice manicured lawn. Instead I have weeds and runaway unkempt tall grasses.

And I want to nail that loose board down on the porch of my Sleek Creek home.

And room for more stuff.
      and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    • weg0
      weg0
      ✭✭✭
      No, because...
      ...it would be stupid lame hanging out in your home farming nodes. Only reason I can think this could be worth it would be naked node farming.
      Edited by weg0 on January 31, 2018 9:53PM
    • NordSwordnBoard
      NordSwordnBoard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Nothing overboard, just some stuff to give me a reason to log out in the house, and pick flowers and chop wood on my way out the door the next day.

I don't think people will complain if a house yields less than the minions who mail you things. I think the idea is fine if you get more efficiency farming a zone.

I see it as a reason to visit my own home(s) more often.
      Fear is the Mindkiller
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No, because...
      Tandor wrote: »
      The more stuff you can do in your instanced home, the less time you spend in the open world and the greater the impression for new players who just see empty zones that the game is dead.
      So should ZOS stop making new homes and furnishings because that causes people to spent more time in their homes. And the storage chests. People will be going to their homes a lot more instead of actual banks.

Of course not, just don't have the entire game playable from within instanced housing!

As for house storage, it's an excellent addition. I haven't followed the incremental patches on the PTS but as long as ZOS stick to this original concept it won't lead to people ignoring banks:-

"Unlike bank storage, ingredients stored in chests and coffers will not be used when crafting, and stored equipment will not appear in deconstruction, research, or upgrade windows at Crafting Stations".

Housing has great appeal, I have 13 homes across two accounts myself. However, there still needs to be viability in the outside world beyond adventuring, and thus far it seems that ZOS understand this.

• Malmai
      Malmai
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yez
    • Waffennacht
      Waffennacht
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      People whom say that we won't go out.

I farm like 1k mats at a time. There's no way (especially with a limit) to get that much from the house.

It would be convenient to grow specific things for utility And RP reasons
      Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
      1300+ CP
      Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    • Loves_guars
      Loves_guars
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Yes, what can I say, l love gardening (like Archeage's) can't deny it. I would also love to have my own sheeps for clothing mats (but just shearing them, not killing them) :P

• Tasear
      Tasear
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Including fishing
    • radiostar
      radiostar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Was fun in Fallen Earth, but shacks/homes were open world. Would be fun here too!
      "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
    • jedtb16_ESO
      jedtb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes, because...
      yes... good idea.

this is weird.... agreeing with this particular op....

as mentioned above fishing also, farming animals and plots for herbs and so on. would be a way of making housing more than just something i bought and put stuff in.
    • Invincible
      Invincible
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No, because...
      I don't think that adding new crafting would be a bad idea... but our craft bags are already bursting at the seams and adding more to it would just further clutter things up.

I'd be all for expanding the crafting system if they streamlined a few of the existing professions.
    • Azurya
      Azurya
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No, because...
      don´t have time for that humbug
    • Talrol
      Talrol
      ✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      It would give me something to do with that bare patch in my yard.
    • Princess_Ciri
      Princess_Ciri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      growing potatoes to throw at people is one of my main life dreams in ESO
      GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
    • Ackwalan
      Ackwalan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I thought this was about a different kind of 'home grower'.
    • MrGarlic
      MrGarlic
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Yes please.

I want to grow fields of GARLIC.

:)
      'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
      Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
    • Mettaricana
      Mettaricana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Yes more reason for daily log in since my hirelings couldnt find 10 rubedite ore if it sprouted from their forehead.

Also can we get plentiful nodes added to the zones as random finds
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      What if instead of being able to grow our own stuff, the next house added was a ...farm. And you could plant your own crops. You could have the field portion of your farm which can be used to grow various provisioning ingredients. And then you have a garden section of the farm which can be used to grow alchemical herbs.

Would it upset balance? Not for provisioning because you can already "farm" an unlimited amount of provisioning material if you know where to go. And herbs for alchemy need to come down anyway. Some of those herbs run over 100g each. I get almost as many kuta as i do some of herbs( and i farm a lot of runestone nodes).
    • Wizball1987
      Wizball1987
      ✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      Minecraft can
    • Dojohoda
      Dojohoda
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Maybe because while you guys are picking your kewl home flowers, I will be out picking the over-world mats that no one is picking. buhahah
      Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
      Might be joking in comments.
      -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    • Anhedonie
      Anhedonie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Yes, because...
      As somebody mentioned before, DK's battle Roar passive should give 1 ancestor silk, rebedit ore and rubedo scrap on use.
      Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No, because...
      The only scenario I can see where this makes sense, is if somehow your garden, plants, nodes or whatever, was something different than the ones you already find all over the place. If they introduce new limited plants and ingredients in provisioning and alchemy, sort of like the Perfect Roe is the gold ingredient of provisioning, then I could see them adding growers and nodes in your homes that could be harvested X times with a cooldown. Maybe even have larger homes hold more nodes, to incentivize having larger homes over smaller ones. Maybe limited to X nodes per account or whatever.

Something like that could make sense, where your home becomes a potential resource for rare ingredients and plants that could not be found anywhere else, or rarely anywhere else.

But nodes for CP160 materials and common alchemy mats? No thank you, I cannot see any scenario where this would even remotely make sense and still be reasonably balanced. The amount of mats I can collect in just an hour's run of farming is massive, so either the homesteads would have to be enormous industrial farms to provide the same amount of mats, or it would be completely useless to anyone whose gameplay doesn't revolve around being an RP farmer.

Fishing might make more sense. Having private fishing spots in your home for yourself and friends. But there are significant obstacles as well. What about those notable and massive homes that do not have water access? Quite unfair and unreasonable. If we do get fishing holes, they should probably come with their own container so they can be placed everywhere. Either in the sea if you have sea access, or some kind of pond.
      The only way this would be interesting to me is if this fish pond comes with added benefits. Maybe the common white fish from the ponds would have a larger chance at yielding a perfect roe when fileted, maybe you have a larger chance to pull up furnishings or other kinds of rare goods.
      But if it is just a regular old fishing hole with no achievement fish (green/blue) and no added benefits, then again I don't really see the appeal, and I'm an avid angler myself.
      Edited by Carbonised on February 1, 2018 8:40AM
    • Pr0Skygon
      Pr0Skygon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      We have a house, we have a garden.
      And all we do with is is placing a bunch of station like a Chinese workshop, then conjuring skeletons, and beat the [snip] out of them? Come on :))

[Edited to remove profanity]
      Edited by ZOS_KatP on February 1, 2018 5:09PM
    • Titansteele
      Titansteele
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yes, because...
      .......free stuff? Who doesn't like free stuff?
      Guild Leader of The Twelve Knights, AD PVE, PVP and Trading Guild on the EU Mega Server

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"