The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would You Like to Grow Your Own Materials?

Ch4mpTW
Ch4mpTW
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
How would you like the idea of being able to grow your own alchemy and other materials, if you had a house that permitted it?

For example, houses with water allowing you to gather water for potions. Houses with empty patches of land being able to grow provisional ingredients and alchemy reagents like wheat and columbine. Houses with large amounts of trees being able to allow you to collect wood, and so on.
Edited by Ch4mpTW on January 31, 2018 6:30PM

Would You Like to Grow Your Own Materials? 236 votes

Yes, because...
83%
SolarikenGilvothvailjohn_ESOmilesrodneymcneely2_ESOIlawyndeaarolmstedb14_ESOcalitrumanb14_ESOjluchauDarcyMardinMalnutritionwenchmore420b14_ESOalcelenielIruil_ESOLadyAstrumLark82jedtb16_ESOAlienSloftimb16_ESO85Tibthomas1970b16_ESO 196 votes
No, because...
14%
BelegnoleNewBlacksmurfmoutonAzuryaBlackEarkwisatzDidgerionidkStreegaCaffeinatedMayhemTandorInvincibleJungleBootLettigallPaganiniKatahdinweg0CaptainVenomobscure7Beardimus 34 votes
Other (please explain)
2%
SevalaricgirlRouvenMAEKsupaskrubImmortalElf13JobooAGS 6 votes
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    I'm all for it, but I'm sure zone harvesting would be faster.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    As long as the growth rates are slow, there is no way this could impact the economy that much (assuming the farmland isn't too large). Harvest once a RL day is what I was thinking about.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because...
    There are plenty farm games out there!

I want ZOS to be focusing on fighting mechanics, balance and performance and not on pots with growing materials.
    Edited by Didgerion on January 31, 2018 6:42PM
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, because...
    id like to grow moonsugar!
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    kind of like a daily quest, but not too many ingredients. The alchemy writ gives 6 ingredients, i think 6 pots in the court sounds good. You must buy or craft soil to grow them and can collect every 20h i suppose.

i also picked yes because the houses really need some improvement. Now what you can do in a house is: lonely single-player editor, guild multi sets crafting location, skeleton dps test.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because...
    Didgerion wrote: »

I want ZOS to be focusing on fighting mechanics, balance and performance and not on pots with growing materials.

This
    Beta tester November 2013
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    If it was released I would use it, but since I'm lazy I probably wouldn't use it efficiantly enough to really get anything out of it and would just have it for looks.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    Only if its weed :)
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds a lot like what Wildstar did with their player housing. I'd love to see this in ESO but knowing this player base, theyd find some exploit. .
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very short sighted view.
    This is not a "either or" scenario, there is no reason why ZOS can be working on both at the same time.

The people implementing cosmetic housing chachkies aren't the same as the people implementing low level performance improvements.
    shades.gif

• Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Sergykid wrote: »
    kind of like a daily quest, but not too many ingredients. The alchemy writ gives 6 ingredients, i think 6 pots in the court sounds good. You must buy or craft soil to grow them and can collect every 20h i suppose.

i also picked yes because the houses really need some improvement. Now what you can do in a house is: lonely single-player editor, guild multi sets crafting location, skeleton dps test.

Exactly. It would be a little something on the side to do at your home, and in your spare time. It’d be a side hustle of sorts, or means to keep you busy around your home. Because as you said, there isn’t much to do at homes to begin with.

While combat is indeed important in an MMO, you’re aware that it isn’t everything — yes? And in a lot of departments, ESO is lacking severely. For example, only recently was storage for housing announced; or considered. Where as something like that has been apart of the base game of a lot of MMO’s since Day 1. ESO has been out for years, and it is only now getting looked at. Come on now. It’s time ESO begins to broaden its horizons a bit. Why not take elements that are apart of the game already, and expand upon them? You can already harvest nodes out in about, so why not let players have mini-farms in lots of land that they own? How is that going to take away from ESO? Why not let players be able to fish, if their houses have access to large ponds or oceans? Why not expand upon things, bruh?
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on January 31, 2018 6:59PM
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Yes! On Skyrim I used to grow my favorite plants for my alchemy potions. One house for health potions, another one for magicka potions and another one for stamina potions.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    jcaceresw wrote: »
    Yes! On Skyrim I used to grow my favorite plants for my alchemy potions. One house for health potions, another one for magicka potions and another one for stamina potions.

this would break the balance. People who have more houses can get more materials? Seems logic indeed, because if you picked plants in the garden at house A, they don't magically disappear from the house B's garden. Maybe make only a few houses with this possibility, but then everyone will want those houses and all others will be ignored.

the only solution i think is to craft the "seeds" or buy them at the house furnisher NPC. This thing will have a 20h cooldown. You may have 6 "seeds", you can plant them wherever you want ok, but you won't be able to collect more than 6.
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    absolutely, I would love to have more reasons to visit my house. This would be a fantastic addition but there would be several players that milked it and destroyed the economy. So mats harvested at your house would have to be bound or something to control the market a little
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    starts an ancestor silk garden...
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    ereboz wrote: »
    absolutely, I would love to have more reasons to visit my house. This would be a fantastic addition but there would be several players that milked it and destroyed the economy. So mats harvested at your house would have to be bound or something to control the market a little
    starts an ancestor silk garden...

obviously there will be a limit, like said in post #14. 6x3 = 18 ancestor silk, not much (and 36 if you have luck at all nodes)
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    I would say limit them to once a day, like home instance nodes in GW2.
    Edited by JamuThatsWho on January 31, 2018 7:28PM
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Once a day would be dope
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then I could play a farm simulator in PvE and a horse simulator in PvP

Count me in !
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    I say yes that would be kewl. Great idea.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but I wouldn't put up with the grind, cost, DLC pay gate lock or whatever else ZOS would do to it.
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...

There are plenty fighting games out there! Checkmate.
    Edited by Leogon on January 31, 2018 7:51PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because...
    It's not FarmVille.

Every game has their system for acquiring matts and it's not farming in this game nor any current major MMORPG I can Recall.

Ofc Zos could do something small like SWTOR did. They brought in housing furnishing that could be harvested for matts. Essentially once a day and a limit on how many one could have. Barely worth the trouble.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    Again, keep it to a low amount and possibly something more advance. I would like a coil pond to harvest a fish a day that guaranteed a perfect roe. or once a day a specific harvest that granted 6 units. probably have to do a limit on number of by the housing unique item limit.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    It was one of the first things I thought about when Homestead was announced. Being able to place a crafting material node in your yard to make an actual garden you can "grow" and harvest.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because...
    The more stuff you can do in your instanced home, the less time you spend in the open world and the greater the impression for new players who just see empty zones that the game is dead.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    It was one of the first things I thought about when Homestead was announced. Being able to place a crafting material node in your yard to make an actual garden you can "grow" and harvest.

That’s what I’m saying. Some of these residences that we can own just scream agriculture. Lol. For example, I own: Forsaken Stronghold, Grand Topal Hideaway, and Linchal Grand Manor. And all 3 of them of them seemingly have patches of land where it is almost too convenient that there’s patches there. Almost like they were placed there specifically for agricultural reasons. Grand Topal Hideaway especially, as there are a myriad of these little patches that would be perfect for growing a type of tree or flower or something. I’ll take some pics and upload them here later on, so you can see what I mean.
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    It would make homes, especially big or notable homes, worthy of acquiring and the incentive could be higher chance for top / gold improvement materials extracted from our own sources. With the right cool down like when researching traits.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain)
    It will never happen because it would make the world look empty especially the starting areas. ZOS doesn't want their starting areas looking empty.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, because...
    More things to do when we log in plus it'll give us more use for our homes
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266