Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ruins of Mazzatun HM Help

Runefang
Runefang
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I just spent almost 2 hours attempting this with friends and we just couldn't do it.

What is the best strategy for doing this? Particularly what should the healer do (that's me in this case)

The particularly hard part is when somebody gets dreams and the stone shapers are up. I'm finding it difficult to stay alive and keep everybody else alive while those stone shapers are hitting me since I have to keep block casting, alternating between shield and BoL.

Is there a way to shut the stone shapers ability down?

I need my cool skin...
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

Is there a way to shut the stone shapers ability down?

Kill them..

And to be honest, if you want to really beat it just use immovable + health + stam/mag potions, they make you godlike in terms of survivability in PvE. When the yellow bosses are up use heavy attacks to replenish your resources as they are not a threat.
    Edited by clocksstoppe on January 20, 2018 12:58PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stone shapers can be interrupted, e.g. by the tank using chains, or by a Nightblade with a teleport strike. That's what my group usually does.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ability can be interrupted by CCing them.
    1. When the adds spawn, the tank must not chain the stone shaper. Taunt them. As soon as they start their channel, then chain them in. The important thing here is to avoid CCing them before they start the channel, because then they get CC immunity. Wait for them to start the channel, then CC. Tank chains are the best for this, since they serve a dual purpose of both interrupting the channel and bringing them in to be burned down in AoE. If your tank is not a DK, then you'll have to find some other way to CC them (keeping in mind that if you have a non-tank on CC duty, you'll need a backup in case they are the ones hallucinating during an add spawn).
    2. My Mazzatun farm group runs with three AoE ultimates: two from the DPS and one from the healer (destro ult is ideal). The two DPS alternate their ults on the totems and add packs. For example, I'll drop my ult on the first totem, and then when the first add pack has been grouped up, the other DPS will drop their ult. The healer holds their ultimate in reserve in case the DPS who's next in the ult rotation is hallucinating or otherwise unable to drop their ult. The key here is to plan your ult usage so that you have an ultimate for every priorty target--totems and add packs--and that you don't blow them all on the same target. Though towards the end during the final burn to kill the boss, we'll call for ults free, and if the healer still has their reserved ult at that point, they'll drop it.
    3. Always stay close together when the boss is active. When someone is hallucinating, move the entire group to the statue. Not only does it make it easier for the hallucinator to identify the statue, it helps with healing them and prevents totems from spawning far from the group if it spawns on their location.
    4. If healer has hallucination, off-heals from tank or DPS (Vigor, Funnel Health, etc.) and Igneous Shields (if the tank is a DK) should be able to protect the group long enough for the healer to get free.
    5. The mini-boss phases are recovery phases because all the key mechanics are paused--no totem spawns, no hallucination, no add spawns, etc. So don't be in a hurry to kill the mini-bosses. We use that opportunity to build ultimate and regain resources. Take your time and heavy/light attack as needed.
    Edited by code65536 on January 20, 2018 1:11PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 summed up the strategy very nicely. :)

Also note that when you time it right, the hallucination phase comes right after a miniboss dies. And it's always the player closest to the boss without aggro who gets the hallucination, so you can manipulate that to a certain degree.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard, but worth it for the skin!
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    The stone shapers can be interrupted, e.g. by the tank using chains, or by a Nightblade with a teleport strike. That's what my group usually does.

Vamp drain also works brilliantly.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to time your boss burning to get her to her execute threshold at a good time. If she has a totem up, someone is hallucinating, or there are too many adds out, stop burning her and focus on getting everyone's ultimate up, all the adds down, all leeching totems destroyed, and hallucinations cleared. This sets you up to have ultimates to burn her first leeching totem in the "rave party" phase and make a good deal of progress on finishing her off.

Also, as someone that has earned this skin on my healer, it seems like the hallucinations significantly preferred afflicting me. If it does the same thing for you, you have to bring DPS and tank that can survive without you for 30 seconds or more.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

Vamp drain also works brilliantly.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran with a group that has a strategy to ensure one of the DPS get the totem vision and not the tank or healer.

The curse is not random, 9 times out of 10 it goes to the person closest to the boss when the amberplasm spawn dies.

So what you do is tank the amberplasm shade way back at the door, the healer and one DPS stay near the tank. The DPS who you want to gets the vision stands next to the cage with the main boss.

Other things you can do to make the fight easier:
    • If you get the boss to 67% quick (when the first amberplasm shade spawns, you avoid adds)
    • If the boss throws the orange goo, have one of the DPS use it so an add doesn't
    • When tank hold the amberplasm shade at the door, do not burn it, ensure everyone has their ultiamte up (which should be warhorn, destro, Stamina ult of choice, Nova also is decent)
    • When DPS gets vision, other 3 players go near the totem.
    • All four players stay at totem and close to boss so healer can do her thing and totem spawns by boss
    • Use utlimates together on totem (which also gets boss/adds)
    • Hardest part of fight is if your DPS is a little low, boss might give a second person totem vision before another amberplasm shade spawns or she is dead. Ideally this is avoided. If it's the healer or the boss isn;t in execute, get everyone to the cursed totem. If boss is low, try and just kill her.
  • TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

DK-Tank:

They had me slot Vigor -- for the short phase when the healer is too strained -- it helped a lot

I also slotted on back bar the "Magma Shell" ultimate -- in case of emergency this is a group life saver

For HM (not apply to vet non-hm) -- as you read the scroll and enter the arena-- go to your right-- near the next entrance door--- that is where the first Stoneshaper will enter--- so it puts you in position to get him quickly.

On the yellow "ghost" bosses --- tank can hold aggro easy --- group kill the adds and build ultimate--- don't finish the ghost boss until all group has ultimate up and ready... cause the totem is gonna spawn almost immediately.

When you finally earn the Amber-Plasm skin... feels so proud. :-))

code65536 code65536 == fantastic explanation.
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing advices. I just want to add this: On 2nd and 3rd boss 1 DD must deal with archers when they appeear, and back to boss when they are dead, excluding when you have to do the mechs.
    On Xal-Nur, healer can slot barrier to the last spice carry. Both DD carry the spice, and the first to drop release 1 Wamasu (1 Wamasu per spice carry). Take your time and do the mechanics.

I got all Mazza vet achievements as a DD (magsorc) and Healer (magplar).
    Edited by gepe87 on January 20, 2018 2:57PM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Amazing advices. I just want to add this: On 2nd and 3rd boss 1 DD must deal with archers when they appeear, and back to boss when they are dead, excluding when you have to do the mechs.
    On Xal-Nur, healer can slot barrier to the last spice carry. Both DD carry the spice, and the first to drop release 1 Wamasu (1 Wamasu per spice carry). Take your time and do the mechanics.

I got all Mazza vet achievements as a DD (magsorc) and Healer (magplar).

Tank is better off carrying the spice (after taunting), with DPS just blocking the random charge. If the tank gets charged it only knocks him farther toward the geyser.

Also, the geyser that appears is ALWAYS the farthest from where the boss is at the time of the phase change.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips everybody! Sounds like we're pretty close to the right strategies, just need to work on executing them better.

The immovability pots idea is a great one, if it can keep me upright in the visions + adds phase then we should be able to finish fairly easily.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a hm question but does anyone know if a sorc can use streak to get spice to fountian. Or maybe the alliance ability that makes u faster?
    Thanks
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The curse is not random, 9 times out of 10 it goes to the person closest to the boss when the amberplasm spawn dies.

Are you sure about that?

I've never noticed that before, and I've run the SotH dungeons a lot (we ran HM multiple times a day every day of the week back when the motifs were worth a lot more than they are now). But I thought that it might've just been that we didn't notice it because we weren't really paying attention and looking for a pattern.

Anyway, since you and someone else in the thread mentioned the distance thing, we did a Mazzatun run today where we tried to control who got the hallucination based on the comments in this thread. We'd have one DPS stand close to the cage and everyone else was a fair distance away. And as far as I can tell, it's just random. We did multiple pulls and were never able to reliably control who got the hallucination. In fact, most of the time, it went to the DPS that was farthest from the cage.

Though we didn't test extreme distances (like everyone else all the way over at the door). But if that had worked, then it might be because at that kind of distance, you'd probably be outranging the ability. But at normal distances, it's definitely not controllable and probably just random.
    Edited by code65536 on January 21, 2018 12:47AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Not a hm question but does anyone know if a sorc can use streak to get spice to fountian. Or maybe the alliance ability that makes u faster?
    Thanks

You are silenced once you pick up the spice, so no streaking.

But Major Expedition does apply. As a magicka nightblade, I typically cast Crippling Grasp on the boss right before I walk into the spice on the boss fight, and the speed boost that I get is enough that I can sometimes solo-carry it. For other classes, the tank can cast Rapids after the spice appears.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    firedrgn wrote: »
    Thanks

Once you have the spice you can't cast any abilities. The best thing you have as an option is applying Rapid Maneuver (or anything else that gets you major expedition) before you pick it up to get a very slight speed increase.
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

I've never noticed that before, and I've run the SotH dungeons a lot (we ran HM multiple times a day every day of the week back when the motifs were worth a lot more than they are now). But I thought that it might've just been that we didn't notice it because we weren't really paying attention and looking for a pattern.

Anyway, since you and someone else in the thread mentioned the distance thing, we did a Mazzatun run today where we tried to control who got the hallucination based on the comments in this thread. We'd have one DPS stand close to the cage and everyone else was a fair distance away. And as far as I can tell, it's just random. We did multiple pulls and were never able to reliably control who got the hallucination. In fact, most of the time, it went to the DPS that was farthest from the cage.

Though we didn't test extreme distances (like everyone else all the way over at the door). But if that had worked, then it might be because at that kind of distance, you'd probably be outranging the ability. But at normal distances, it's definitely not controllable and probably just random.

I use this sometimes as dd with clueless noob PUG groups to avoid getting the shadow vision by myself :) The way it actually works is that if everybody else are close to where the boss is at when the shadow boss stage ends, but youself close to the entrance door then in that case you will never get the shadow vision by yourself. I think It's probably an exploit though.
    Edited by Make2k15 on January 21, 2018 3:13AM