The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

moved

DoctorESO
DoctorESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
moved
Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 11:31PM
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are a casual if you can't afford to drop 20k on an outfit
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Time investment?
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself a moderate player. I put a lot of time into this game but I don't do things a hardcore player would do.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. My name is Mr.Garlic and I am an ESO addict.

Definitely not casual, non-casual but also not elitist.

Just an addict. :) A common garden variety, plain old Elder Scrolls addict.

I aspire to be casual, but the allure is too strong and my will is weak.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by DoctorESO on September 22, 2018 7:48PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoctorESO wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Many, none of which align with your view of "casual".

I'm sorry, but your "measuring stick" and my epeen don't seem to be anywhere near the same size ...
    mueba.gif
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fie upon your labels!

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like @MrGarlic says - I am an addict.....

I do - play ESO more than 15 hours per week
    I do NOT - raid veteran dungeons as part of a core or progression group
    I have - more than five characters who are max level/CP and have all best-in-slot gear of purple or higher quality
    I do NOT - make more than 100,000 gold per week
    I am NOT - the leader of a trial, PvP, or trading guild
    I am NOT - the leader of a large social guild in which you personally run at least three events per week
    I have NOT - completed the no-death speed-run achievements for 50% or more of all veteran DLC dungeons
    I have NOT - achieved the Flawless Conqueror title (completing Veteran Maelstrom Arena in one session without dying or leaving)
    I have NEVER - been crowned Emperor in the Alliance War
    I am unable to achieve more than 15,000 self-buffed, single-target skeleton DPS
    Edited by Imza on January 20, 2018 5:00AM
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The term "casual player" is thrown around a lot. But what really separates a casual player from a non-casual player?

It's mostly a resources thing.

Casual players don't have unlimited materials and gold. Hence they can't and won't go meta on a whim and switch out everything to the "new hotness". Golding out a set isn't something they will do easily, it will take time and they won't be switching out gear much afterward.

Then you have the hardcore players... they put in lots of time (and usually will lie about that time, because it's an easy attack on their nature) and mostly have nearly unlimited resources in game to constantly be chasing what's the most broken. They will have many sets on many characters and they will all be golded out.

In between you have the moderate time players. They play enough that resources in game aren't a huge issue, but they are limited in how often they can chase the meta.

If you are casual and don't have a sugar daddy, it's going to be a constant uphill climb.
  • AngelFires333
    AngelFires333
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cd3.jpg

:D:D:D

You only made this thread so you could find an excuse to use that meme didn't you?

i-like-your-style.jpg
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than 5 hours a week is less than casual, you might as well not even buy the game... I'd say a casual player is someone who plays randomly for less than 1-2 hours a day on an unplanned schedule if at all... regardless of their level or what have you... There are some days I play for several hours some days I don't even log in... I consider myself a casual because I have no commitments...
  • Ruusa
    Ruusa
    ✭✭✭
    I wrote a paper about casual games once (it was about graphics and mostly unrelated to this topic) and had to find a definition to "casual". From my point of view its more about the player's attitude and commitment to the game, not about skill or achievements.

A dedicated player will:
    • Make sure they have time for ESO even at the cost of their other free time activities
    • Accept game related responsibilities such as guild duties
    • Have goals they want to achieve in game and work towards those goals even if its boring or unpleasant
    • Make sure their computer / headset etc equipment they need for gaming is good enough

And a casual player will:
    • Only play when they have nothing better to do
    • Not commit to regular trial / pvp schedules
    • Only do things in game that they find fun, so no farming vMA unless this casual really likes vMA for some reason
    • Use what gear they can easily get if getting BiS gear requires effort
    • Not think about the game much when not playing

And everyone's goals and interests are different, so entirely possible that someone is very dedicated trader in this game without ever doing a veteran dungeon. Or someone runs a roleplaying guild and does events for that guild several times a week and is very dedicated to that, but sucks at all combat things and couldnt care less about builds. Also possible that someone used to be a hardcore PVE raider who has all the PVE achievements, but stopped that and now only rarely casually plays when they have nothing else to do.
    PC EU
    Erweka - altmer magicka sorc DD
    Varona Uveth - dunmer DK tank

Redfur Trading & Redfur Exchange
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I think there's a wider variety of eso players and only the player can decide what they are or what they think makes a certain player but I'm guessing a few

The casual
    The Invested casual
    The addict
    The no sleeper
    And the elite

Idk maybe?
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The longer I travel mmo forums the more I think casual is a floating term determined by the person using it.

A casual is some who plays the game less then the person using the term. And a hard core is a person who plays the game more then the person using the term. Because in everyone’s eyes they feel they they play they game the perfect amount.

For example, someone might say I don’t fall in either catagory, but I’ll claim one I think sounds cool, and be proud of it! This shows off both points. The person sorting the groups made the groups so they are inbetween them. And they feel they are perfect where they are and proud of it.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on January 20, 2018 4:24PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't care...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of your elite thread. Lol.

But nonetheless... I suppose what separates those 2 labels are basically just the amount of time the given individual invests. Regardless, I could care less if someone is a casual or not. As long as they: Aren’t a scumbag, do their job/role, and can remember to keep a level head should things go left? I have no problems with the individual(s) at hand.

But back to this thread, however... You know why I’m here, everyone. :trollface:

tenor.gif
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "from a" separates them :smiley:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those terms are relative but I won't consider myself a casual since I do play a lot, I have 5 fully trained characters with multiple sets of gear and multiple role specs each, I do have a lot of in game currency and materials, I have cleared all veteran HM dungeons, 6/8 veteran trials and PvP regularly, though I confess I'm not nearly as skilled as PvP. However, I can't consider myself hardcore either since I'm not a part of a regular core group, I don't do trials on a regular schedule, for score, or try to be Emperor in Cyrodiil. I'd describe myself as a middle of the road player.
    Edited by Asardes on January 20, 2018 8:26AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Turbotailz
    Turbotailz
    ✭✭
    Can I be both?
    In between the two extremes is the gray area, where the line between casual and non-casual is fuzzy.

Agree?

As long it's fuzzy good and not fuzzy bad.
    Edited by Turbotailz on January 20, 2018 8:54AM
    Friend: This one has a cool joke to tell. Want to hear?
    Me: Sure okay.
    Friend: What can a frozen band-aid be applied on?
    Me: This one don't know. Tell me.
    Friend: A cold cut. Get it?? hehehe
    Me:.... *activates Grim Focus!*
    Friend: No wait! it's a joke! please!
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are putting way too much thought into something that doesn't matter.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't constantly farm so my characters can wear BIS gear that's apart of the latest end-game Build.

I don't nearly have all my Achievements completed.

I don't have several million gold in the bank.

I am a Casual.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No, I'm a casual! :p
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of the forum, I think the lines are really too blurry to define. Is it time? Is it content? Is it gold/collections/achievements? A mix of all or none?
    On the forum, casual player is a insult from one player to another when thier opinion on gameplay is diffrent from another player.
    Edited by Kel on January 20, 2018 9:58AM
  • rteezy
    rteezy
    ✭✭✭
    about to receive my second instalement of crowns from eso plus, so i played for almsot 2 months now.

i have every class at max level (2 nbs one mag one stam)

4 of these classes are above rank 20 pvp

im at cp 450

did vma at cp 190 ( got bow first run and maelstrom lightning staff second :D)

got Emperor last week at cp 400

did every normal trial (not relaly into pve but i guess i could have attempted some vets), i do have msot of the normal aylum weps doe

i guess i had a very non casual 2months :D
    Edited by rteezy on January 20, 2018 10:53AM
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kram8ion wrote: »
    So I think there's a wider variety of eso players and only the player can decide what they are or what they think makes a certain player but I'm guessing a few

The casual
    The Invested casual
    The addict
    The no sleeper
    And the no life

Idk maybe?
    Fixed that for you.
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    Playing 15+ hours makes me non casual. I havent done dungeons, my build probably sucks. I tried 2 guilds, just didnt work out. Family oriented guilds are probably rare. But i have fun in the game, isnt that what matters?
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's simple, casual people dont care about progression as a player where as non casuals do

speaking from raiding anyway
    #MOREORBS
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There we go again...
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time
  • Neyane
    Neyane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... I’m kind of in both of your lists. Despite me being max cp I’ve never done a normal trial - I usually play solo so... either way, I count myself as a casual because I’m not an elitist but I’m also someone who does vet dungeons and whatnot. My definition of a casual is just someone who enjoys playing the game, being called a casual is not an insult to me. :)
    The most important thing in life is enjoying yourself.
    810+, love trials and dungeons, achievement hunter ♥
    Stormproof on 9 characters and more to come~ Flawless on MagSorc & MagPlar ♥