The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

EU or US sever on PS4?

mnznp
mnznp
✭✭
I recently bought a PS4 pro for gaming and want to play ESO as well. I'm currently living in Beijing so both severs are pretty far from my home, and want to know which sever has more population and more tolerance to a foreigner player?
Second question: I was playing ESO on a mac for since 2014 and was around cp 500, is there some way to transfer my characters to PS4 platform?
  • elantaura
    elantaura
    ✭✭✭✭
    EU are very accomodating there are a whole lot of countrys in europe and they dont all speak the same language. I have done trials with italians, taken keeps with the french, done vet dungeons with rusians. was helping a noobie from Morocco the other day. I was giving advice to a south african about maelstorm and geting told to be quite by a guy from macedonia lol.
    Im Australian and over there - so you will find all types on PS4EU. Im far from both servers so the lag is just as bad for me on eiither :/
    PS4 EU 1200+ cp - I enjoy RP, Housing, PVE and PVP

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your ping. NA always, its closer to you.
    (Australian here and it why i choose it).

No transfers were a once off thing

Plus if you do choose NA, i run a large a oceanic based guild. You would be more than welcome, just send me a message
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367351/brotherhood-of-bogans-are-recruiting-australian-new-zealand-end-game-all-content-guild-ps4-na#latest
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played on both but I prefer EU for... reasons.

When I did play on NA - which was Feb-April 2016 I don't recall any serious lag issues - but then, at that point I hadn't even done my first Vet dungeon. Certainly never noticed any significant lag on things like dolmens.

x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started out on the NA server, then found out a couple of months later I would be moving to Germany, so I switched to EU. From time to time I go back to NA to feed horses and whatnot, on the off-chance I will eventually end up playing there again. I will share my impressions. Keep in mind they are entirely subjective and not necessarily indicative of anything other than my own personal experience between the two servers.

Population Scale:
    I see no major differences at all between NA and EU. Both populations seem robust, healthy, and have players in all expected areas at any given time of day. This varies slightly based on the world clock, of course - prime time for each server is off by 6-9 hours, but I play at all times of day and neither one seems more populated than the other. Perhaps this is partially due to zone instancing, but I doubt it.

Lag/Latency:
    When I was stateside and playing on the EU server, I never noticed any real lag issues at all. I was using COMCAST at home and while their service is generally crap, it wasn't problematic aside from temporary outages that seem to happen with any major ISP. After physically relocating to Germany, no real difference was experienced for me. I connected fine. I had no noticeable delays, etc. HOWEVER, when connecting back to the NA server, there was definitely noticeable lag. This was worsened during North American prime time hours - the higher the (visible) population in an area, the more sluggish my connection seemed to be. This ebbed and flowed, but since most of my playtime was simply horse-feeding maintenance, it was no bother.

Lately though, because of the increasing chance of going back to the states in a year, I've been working on characters over there. The lag isn't that bad for me, though far worse than when I was in the states connecting to Europe. I suspect this has to do with the quality of my local ISP. German internet really sucks. Really, really sucks. My best in-game friend is an Aussie and what she has constantly described (lag/latency, huge delays in bar-swapping, etc.) is very much the same for me when the connection is bad.

Cultural Differences:
    Now this next part is probably the most subjective, so take it as you will. I'm a pretty open-minded kind of person. I treat others with respect. I expect the same in turn. I would be considered "sensitive" by many, or "thoughtful" if it's not being treated in a derogatory manner. There are huge cultural differences between the PS4 player base on each server.

Rarely do I find extremely racist comments being made in zone chat on the EU server. I see it daily when I'm on NA. Rarely do I experience blatant elitism on the EU server. It seems to be rampant on NA. Player skills on EU seem to be better as a whole - it would appear that the players on PS4 EU actually spend some amount of time learning how to play the game and seeing how things work. I can safely say (again, from my experience) that this does not appear to be the case with NA players.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and have terrible RNG with social interactions, but there really is an obvious cultural difference between NA and EU players. I wish we could turn off individual channels with the chat interface. I would love to be able to see what my guild mates are saying or not miss whispers, but that also means being blasted with xenophobic walls of text in zone chat. It seems you can't have one without the other.

Takeaway:
    In the end I plan to continue playing on EU when I go back to America. Not because of the server performance or connection speed, but because of the culture. I hope my local internet is good enough so that I don't have terrible lag when I go back, but I would almost rather deal with the lag than to deal with the immature attitudes I see so frequently. I have made some great friends on EU and don't want to lose those connections. Not so much on NA. I know a couple of people on NA and I'd just as soon keep in touch with them elsewhere rather than subject myself to the lower median maturity level the NA player base seems to demonstrate.

Again, entirely subjective feedback. If you're connecting to either server from the Oceanic side, I would say test drive both of them and see which performs better. There are good people on each, so it really gets down to personal preference on which one appeals to you more. Plus, if you're not bothered by the zone chat, the connection is the only real factor to consider.

You did mention being a "foreign player" though, so for that reason perhaps EU would be more to your liking. While America is a "melting pot" in theory, EU has an innate tolerance for other cultures simply by virtue of so many cultures being geographically close to one another.

Best of luck!
  • mnznp
    mnznp
    ✭✭
    elantaura wrote: »
    EU are very accomodating there are a whole lot of countrys in europe and they dont all speak the same language. I have done trials with italians, taken keeps with the french, done vet dungeons with rusians. was helping a noobie from Morocco the other day. I was giving advice to a south african about maelstorm and geting told to be quite by a guy from macedonia lol.
    Im Australian and over there - so you will find all types on PS4EU. Im far from both servers so the lag is just as bad for me on eiither :/

Thanks elantuara! That sounds very attractive to me, I'm not a hardcore player and just want to fight with friends in a open world, I'll try to test if the lag meet the suit, though I didn't find how to show the latency on PS4 yet...
  • mnznp
    mnznp
    ✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    For your ping. NA always, its closer to you.
    (Australian here and it why i choose it).

No transfers were a once off thing

Plus if you do choose NA, i run a large a oceanic based guild. You would be more than welcome, just send me a message
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367351/brotherhood-of-bogans-are-recruiting-australian-new-zealand-end-game-all-content-guild-ps4-na#latest

Thanks for the invitation! For now the big advantage of us sever is the latency feels better than on eu sever, but I can't find "show latency" opinion in settings so still figuring out it...
  • CyborgPlatypus
    CyborgPlatypus
    ✭✭✭
    I play on the EU PS4 server. I have done for nearly a year. There are some really nice people on there and a lot less jerks than you would expect on an MMO. Sure there are some, but it's minimal. One guild I'm in does weekly intro trials and we often get people for whom English is a second language. But we don't care as long as they aren't horrible people. EU isn't dead it's definitely thriving.
  • mnznp
    mnznp
    ✭✭
    I have played on both but I prefer EU for... reasons.

When I did play on NA - which was Feb-April 2016 I don't recall any serious lag issues - but then, at that point I hadn't even done my first Vet dungeon. Certainly never noticed any significant lag on things like dolmens.

Yeah so now the latency first ;)
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out on the NA server, then found out a couple of months later I would be moving to Germany, so I switched to EU. From time to time I go back to NA to feed horses and whatnot, on the off-chance I will eventually end up playing there again. I will share my impressions. Keep in mind they are entirely subjective and not necessarily indicative of anything other than my own personal experience between the two servers.

Population Scale:
    I see no major differences at all between NA and EU. Both populations seem robust, healthy, and have players in all expected areas at any given time of day. This varies slightly based on the world clock, of course - prime time for each server is off by 6-9 hours, but I play at all times of day and neither one seems more populated than the other. Perhaps this is partially due to zone instancing, but I doubt it.

Lag/Latency:
    When I was stateside and playing on the EU server, I never noticed any real lag issues at all. I was using COMCAST at home and while their service is generally crap, it wasn't problematic aside from temporary outages that seem to happen with any major ISP. After physically relocating to Germany, no real difference was experienced for me. I connected fine. I had no noticeable delays, etc. HOWEVER, when connecting back to the NA server, there was definitely noticeable lag. This was worsened during North American prime time hours - the higher the (visible) population in an area, the more sluggish my connection seemed to be. This ebbed and flowed, but since most of my playtime was simply horse-feeding maintenance, it was no bother.

Lately though, because of the increasing chance of going back to the states in a year, I've been working on characters over there. The lag isn't that bad for me, though far worse than when I was in the states connecting to Europe. I suspect this has to do with the quality of my local ISP. German internet really sucks. Really, really sucks. My best in-game friend is an Aussie and what she has constantly described (lag/latency, huge delays in bar-swapping, etc.) is very much the same for me when the connection is bad.

Cultural Differences:
    Now this next part is probably the most subjective, so take it as you will. I'm a pretty open-minded kind of person. I treat others with respect. I expect the same in turn. I would be considered "sensitive" by many, or "thoughtful" if it's not being treated in a derogatory manner. There are huge cultural differences between the PS4 player base on each server.

Rarely do I find extremely racist comments being made in zone chat on the EU server. I see it daily when I'm on NA. Rarely do I experience blatant elitism on the EU server. It seems to be rampant on NA. Player skills on EU seem to be better as a whole - it would appear that the players on PS4 EU actually spend some amount of time learning how to play the game and seeing how things work. I can safely say (again, from my experience) that this does not appear to be the case with NA players.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and have terrible RNG with social interactions, but there really is an obvious cultural difference between NA and EU players. I wish we could turn off individual channels with the chat interface. I would love to be able to see what my guild mates are saying or not miss whispers, but that also means being blasted with xenophobic walls of text in zone chat. It seems you can't have one without the other.

Takeaway:
    In the end I plan to continue playing on EU when I go back to America. Not because of the server performance or connection speed, but because of the culture. I hope my local internet is good enough so that I don't have terrible lag when I go back, but I would almost rather deal with the lag than to deal with the immature attitudes I see so frequently. I have made some great friends on EU and don't want to lose those connections. Not so much on NA. I know a couple of people on NA and I'd just as soon keep in touch with them elsewhere rather than subject myself to the lower median maturity level the NA player base seems to demonstrate.

Again, entirely subjective feedback. If you're connecting to either server from the Oceanic side, I would say test drive both of them and see which performs better. There are good people on each, so it really gets down to personal preference on which one appeals to you more. Plus, if you're not bothered by the zone chat, the connection is the only real factor to consider.

You did mention being a "foreign player" though, so for that reason perhaps EU would be more to your liking. While America is a "melting pot" in theory, EU has an innate tolerance for other cultures simply by virtue of so many cultures being geographically close to one another.

Best of luck!

did you just say americans are jerks...

hahahahahahahahaha...that's funny...maybe a little sad too, cuz, it's probably true...

in defense of the NA server - we do have a bunch canadian players...there pretty cool at least :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »

hahahahahahahahaha...that's funny...maybe a little sad too, cuz, it's probably true...

in defense of the NA server - we do have a bunch canadian players...there pretty cool at least :)

@geonsocal:

I guess I did say that in a kinda roundabout, passive-aggressive sort of way. I mean no true offense by it though. After all, I'm an American Jerk in the end, myself. I came to Europe to experience a different perspective, to regain my love of my own country, and managed to do both of those things over the past two years.

Sadly, however, in doing so I became even more acutely aware of how xenophobic Americans often are, or at least present themselves to be. Sure, it's behind the veil of internet anonymity in a virtual world, but it's still there. It's frustrating.

I like our upstairs neighbors in Canada though. They're nice and quiet. :smile:
  • InnocentOfCrime

I guess I did say that in a kinda roundabout, passive-aggressive sort of way. I mean no true offense by it though. After all, I'm an American Jerk in the end, myself. I came to Europe to experience a different perspective, to regain my love of my own country, and managed to do both of those things over the past two years.

Sadly, however, in doing so I became even more acutely aware of how xenophobic Americans often are, or at least present themselves to be. Sure, it's behind the veil of internet anonymity in a virtual world, but it's still there. It's frustrating.

Oh trust me Americans are well aware we have bad apples, the country is pretty split in half politically and each half despises the other for it and will go after anyone they see as a threat to their "side". And the annoying ones somehow always end up not being the shy ones...

But enough politics, the only time i see "inappropriate" speech in chat is when im in vulkel guard. For some reason a church of trump has established itself there and spews all kinds of nonsense over yell chat. (Obviously a group of trolls but they are there to stay apparently since they've been "preaching" since chat was introduced to consoles.)

Outside of that area never seen a thing of inappropriate nature. Outside of the usual things you would expect in anonymous gamer chats: name calling and trolls.

In summary: NA is mostly just eh, we've got bad apples and paragons but you are just as likely to meet neither as either one. I can safely say my enjoyment was not diminished by playing there.

This is all for ps4 na btw i have no real experience with eu.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@geonsocal:

howdy @VoodooPlatypus :)

many years ago i had a chance to live in germany for a few years...beautiful little city called heilbronn...

traveling, and, or living in culturally diverse locations in america really do help to give a person a broader perspective of not only american culture (which can be radically different dependant on the location), and other cultures around the world...

I found your views so amusing - because they sounded so accurate...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭

howdy @VoodooPlatypus :)

many years ago i had a chance to live in germany for a few years...beautiful little city called heilbronn...

traveling, and, or living in culturally diverse locations in america really do help to give a person a broader perspective of not only american culture (which can be radically different dependant on the location), and other cultures around the world...

I found your views so amusing - because they sounded so accurate...

@geonsocal:

As an Army Brat, I was actually born not too terribly far from Heilbronn, in Wurzburg, though we left when I was still an infant. I got the chance to visit Wurzburg last year, so that was cool. We lived all over the globe throughout my childhood and I think it gave me a really healthy World View at an early age. I learned tolerance in a way that many Americans don't seem to and the perspective it gave me has been great, which is what led to me wanting to refresh my love of country and go abroad for a while. I figured if I moved away from the tree, I might better be able to better appreciate the forest. The past two years over here has given me exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure I'm happy with the state my homeland is currently in, but hey, I am still a citizen and I appreciate my roots.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, and sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I still wish ya the best in your venture to determine which PS4 server is better suited for you. :smiley:
  • mnznp
    mnznp
    ✭✭

Population Scale:

Lag/Latency:

Cultural Differences:

Takeaway:

Best of luck!

thank you so much and sorry for replying late, was busy for playing other games on ps4 for a while...I chose NA sever now because i tried EU first and found the lag is sooooo unbearable which will eventually makes it to a single player game, but still thanks a lot for your insightful advices!!!