The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Material (decon dyes) Colors are off...

Shimmer
Shimmer
✭✭✭✭✭
So I was checking out the new dye colors from deconstructing armor from the 10 teirs of crafted gear and found a few buggy colors. :)

Rank 1 Materials Dye - Appears to be a dark grey color and comes out tan.
n0eszuh4qf6w.png

Rank 2 Materials Dye - Appears to be a light grey color comes out tan
imqhqq9yz7c6.png

Rank 4 Materials Dye - Appears to be a yellow color - comes out dark red
xw62a0ia0i89.png

Rank 6 Materials Dye - Appears to be a darker yellow - comes out a darker red
p43291o9ma1n.png

Rank 7 Materials Dye - Appears to be a dark brown color - comes out dark blue....
64pfvtesuagu.png

I did also try and apply those buggy ones to different armor with the same results.
Edited by Shimmer on January 9, 2018 7:56PM
YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is because most of them are not one color, but a set of colors for each tier, so they appear differently depending on what they are applied to.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said I tried to apply the same dye to multiple pieces of items of different tiers armor and costumes - same result.
    Edited by Shimmer on January 9, 2018 8:45PM

• Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For instance I made all ten tiers of a basic clothier robe. None of them came out with that blue grey color, all tan. While for the CP tiers the dress area instead of turning green while applying the dye turned tan, The actual color on the palette NEVER actually applied to the piece.

Level 1 Robe with Rank 1 Material Dye
    3ouw9j2fgrwm.png
    Level 16 Robe with Rank 1 Material Dye
    jh28nrz70kaf.png
    Level 26 Robe with Rank 1 Material Dye
    nj3dv2ps1w3e.png
    Level 36 Robe with Rank 1 Material Dye
    4mfqbr9rfk72.png
    Level 46 Robe with Rank 1 Material Dye
    st8th4sn9rvb.png
    CP Tiers (all came out same color and look regardless of material used) with Rank 1 Material Dye
    sat5xv5bwqo6.png

Edited by Shimmer on January 9, 2018 9:07PM

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »
    So I was checking out the new dye colors from deconstructing armor from the 10 teirs of crafted gear and found a few buggy colors. :)

n0eszuh4qf6w.png

imqhqq9yz7c6.png

xw62a0ia0i89.png

p43291o9ma1n.png

Rank 7 Materials Dye - Appears to be a dark brown color - comes out dark blue....
    64pfvtesuagu.png

I did also try and apply those buggy ones to different armor with the same results.

Get can you show me rank 3 and 8? I'm looking for green dyes
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure

Rank 3
    On a crafted robe
    yanVkIs.png
    On my costume
    v6MR5w1.png

Rank 8
    On a crafted robe
    GBi5zBF.png
    On my costume
    upS662X.png

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

n0eszuh4qf6w.png

imqhqq9yz7c6.png

xw62a0ia0i89.png

p43291o9ma1n.png

64pfvtesuagu.png

Those are that costume that is the problem. The graht oak climber outfit and all the vvardenfell ones just have really bad color coding so they always come out darker/washed out for anything. The best results are bright whites and yellows but even those are dim compared to how they should be.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

n0eszuh4qf6w.png

imqhqq9yz7c6.png

xw62a0ia0i89.png

p43291o9ma1n.png

64pfvtesuagu.png

Those are that costume that is the problem. The graht oak climber outfit and all the vvardenfell ones just have really bad color coding so they always come out darker/washed out for anything. The best results are bright whites and yellows but even those are dim compared to how they should be.

Please see my follow up comment with pictures of it applied to a base robe with the same result
    Edited by Shimmer on January 9, 2018 9:34PM

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure

Rank 3
    On a crafted robe
    yanVkIs.png
    On my costume
    v6MR5w1.png

Rank 8
    On a crafted robe
    GBi5zBF.png
    On my costume
    upS662X.png

Too dark of lighting, might showing them in the daylight? I think rank 3 might be decent
    Edited by Aliyavana on January 9, 2018 9:42PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone else wanna share
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    anyone else wanna share

Do you have a specific setup you want shown? I can do mostly anything in a variety of lighting conditions.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    anyone else wanna share

Do you have a specific setup you want shown? I can do mostly anything in a variety of lighting conditions.
    Compare tier 8 to coldharbour black
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone else wanna share

Also tier 7 compare to voidstone and to covenant colors
  • skinnycheeks
    skinnycheeks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably because they are metals and you are dyeing cloths with it
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because they are metals and you are dyeing cloths with it

Well, the materials dyes should be universal — meaning you would get the appropriate refined material color for either cloth, wood, or ore. Based on the testing I did on behalf of @aliyavana, that seems to be the case so far on basic crafted items (though note that I only did a few crafted mat tiers on PTS).

To illustrate the versatility of using the mat tiers, I was able to make an Order of the Hour Bow in the “Coldharbour” Yew style at CP160 ... using the outfitter template. See screenshot below.

@Sylance9 — The Graht Climber costume is one of my favorite costumes too. But, it has a history of not being able to dye very well. Uncommon dyes do a lot better on it than rare dyes. It’s probably not the best representative to use for testing the mat tier colors on PTS. On the flip side, it is good for testing what you want the Graht Climber costume to look like on your character when the February patch drops.

08Rf8eD.jpg
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    [*]Material Dyes
    • In addition to the existing dyes, we've also added a new category of "Material" or "Mixed" dyes. These dyes correspond to the color of gear crafted from each of the ten ranks of durable materials, and are each unlocked by deconstructing a piece of equipment made from materials of that rank.
    • For example, deconstructing an iron axe will unlock the "Rank 1 Materials" dye, which matches the colors found on Iron, Rawhide, Jute, or Maple equipment.
    • This allows you the flexibility to recreate any look you may have found appealing while leveling up through various tiers of equipment.

The patch notes in question...

So the colors for four different types of materials - which also have different colors on different color slot - are scripted into one dye for each tier. Obviously it's going to be unpredictable on costumes.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you guys not see my post where I tested it on each tier of crafted gear? The color didn’t change...it’s still off..the color was the same regardless of style material used. It’s just super confusing that the broken ones say it’s a dye of one color but comes out a completely different color. IE blue turns tan...
    Edited by Shimmer on January 14, 2018 5:27AM

• Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People have explained it to you already. The squares display the ore-color of that teir, not what it's going to look like on your outfit.

Apply those dyes to the metal portions of your weapons then you can determine if the dyes are off. Nothing you've shown so far implies they aren't working as intended.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I did the thing using the Cyrod Patrician's Gown, which most faithfully represents dyes of all costumes available.

Coldharbour Ash Black

MkyFlIe.png

Tier 8 Color

Iqt0a7N.png

Tier 7 Color

nkzCnu8.png

Voidstone Violet

MJFYBgU.png

Covenant Blue

HFqPSSn.png
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell from testing, the material tier colors seem like they're supposed to faithfully reproduce the colors you see on a particular style if you make a piece using that tier of material and don't dye it. Unfortunately, this is only partially and sometimes true. I tested with the Ancient Elf Jerkin and found that most of the time the first color slot was faithfully reproduced, but sometimes it wasn't, and that the other two color slots were always wrong. So idk. I absolutely love the colors though even if the behavior is weird so idk how to feel.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell from testing, the material tier colors seem like they're supposed to faithfully reproduce the colors you see on a particular style if you make a piece using that tier of material and don't dye it. Unfortunately, this is only partially and sometimes true. I tested with the Ancient Elf Jerkin and found that most of the time the first color slot was faithfully reproduced, but sometimes it wasn't, and that the other two color slots were always wrong. So idk. I absolutely love the colors though even if the behavior is weird so idk how to feel.

Right, but the thing was the color on the palette never produced on the pieces of clothing on the dyes 1,2,4,6,7 for example tier 7 on the palette is brownish tan and comes out blueish even on your tested gown.

IDK either just super dumb that the palette doesnt correspond to the result on the item you are dying.
    Edited by Shimmer on January 16, 2018 3:53AM

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, but the thing was the color on the palette never produced on the pieces of clothing on the dyes 1,2,4,6,7 for example tier 7 on the palette is brownish tan and comes out blueish even on your tested gown.

IDK either just super dumb that the palette doesnt correspond to the result on the item you are dying.

@Sylance9 No I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It seems like it's trying to reproduce the color on armor and euipment, not on costumes. On costumes I can't say at all what they're going for. You can't use the color swatches on the palette to go by because it fundamentally does not dye everything that color, but a per-item color instead. So it's not that you're dyeing something "brown" like how it looks on the palette for these colors, you're dyeing it "execute a script to determine what color this is actually supposed to be".
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be onto something, @Recremen.

Isn't the scope of the outfit system crafted motif styles only (at least for Update 17)?

Costumes wouldn't be covered in that body of work.

Though ZOS could add costume dying with the materials tiers dyes in a later Update.

Which would be similar to adding the monster helm styles to the outfit system overlay ... which Rich Lambert hinted at on ESO Live.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see, it always corresponds to white rarity items at that tier. So if you're thinking of a blue rarity item, it'll look wrong.

What gets weirder here is that the dyes after tier 5 (ebony) are only the metal tone. So, you don't get the full default color scheme on CP items.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see, it always corresponds to white rarity items at that tier. So if you're thinking of a blue rarity item, it'll look wrong.

What gets weirder here is that the dyes after tier 5 (ebony) are only the metal tone. So, you don't get the full default color scheme on CP items.

Yo they change color based on how much it's upgraded, too?? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeell.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, items have always changed their visuals based on their rarity. Even before the dye system became a thing.

EDIT: Way back in the day, there was even a unique color (gold with a redish undertone) for items that dropped as legendary in the trials.
    Edited by starkerealm on January 16, 2018 5:58PM
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, items have always changed their visuals based on their rarity. Even before the dye system became a thing.

EDIT: Way back in the day, there was even a unique color (gold with a redish undertone) for items that dropped as legendary in the trials.

I think I recall that now that you mention it, it's just been so long.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Threemoons
    Threemoons
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know RE rarity; I was wondering how those "tier" things worked and why they were so wonky on outfits.
    Playing on PC/NA---UserID=Threemoons--usually on nights, weekends
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the problem is that the color they use to represent the dye in the palette window is representing the color that METAL armor is at that tier and in default quality of white. Tier 1 heavy armor was a dull gray, but cloth armor was a puke green color.

So, if I dye a costume using the Tier 1 dye, it will be that puke green if it's cloth I'm dying. I haven't tried dying a costume that has a lot of metal (like the Imperial armor costumes). I would presume they would appear in the dull grey color and not the puke green color.