Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

CURRENT STATE OF GATHERING MATS IN ESO

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raiva172 wrote: »
    Your described intentions can ALL be bypassed easily by JUST buying an item with the nirnhoned trait - so lore (and content) be damned!

My guess is that it was just easier for ZOS to leave that as it was when they made the 1Tamriel changes.

I'm surprised that people didn't complain about the relative rarity and having to go to JUST ONE zone and compete with others for nodes.

As I said:
    B. ZOS specifically wants nirncrux to be a rare trait that required players to work together to research the trait. The only way to learn the trait is to complete all the Craglorn quests for a nirnhoned item, get a nirnhoned trait reward from VMA or a trial, or ask for or buy nirnhoned items from other players. That's by design.

As I said, that's by design. You don't design a system where nirnhoned trait weapons and gear are extremely rare unless you intend for a trait to be difficult to obtain without cooperating with other players (crafters who have learned the trait from other crafters and so on).

Edited by VaranisArano on January 3, 2018 10:46PM
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Your described intentions can ALL be bypassed easily by JUST buying an item with the nirnhoned trait - so lore (and content) be damned!

My guess is that it was just easier for ZOS to leave that as it was when they made the 1Tamriel changes.

I'm surprised that people didn't complain about the relative rarity and having to go to JUST ONE zone and compete with others for nodes.

As I said:
    B. ZOS specifically wants nirncrux to be a rare trait that required players to work together to research the trait. The only way to learn the trait is to complete all the Craglorn quests for a nirnhoned item, get a nirnhoned trait reward from VMA or a trial, or ask for or buy nirnhoned items from other players. That's by design.

As I said, that's by design. You don't design a system where nirnhoned trait weapons and gear are extremely rare unless you intend for a trait to be difficult to obtain without cooperating with other players (crafters who have learned the trait from other crafters and so on).

Yes, I understood what you said the first time, Varanis. My point is that it's NOT difficult at all to obtain nirnhoned items - there's a very easy way around that 'design' and I don't need to cooperate with other players at all - just buy the item.

IF the real intent was to make Nirnhoned trait only available to players who did the proper content/quests, then it wouldn't be so simple to bypass it. My point was that the lore & content aren't the most important consideration.

I don't even have to farm the gems if I want to use them for gear ... just buy it from a trader - just like I'll be buying my low level mats now when I need them. There's really NO need to do stuff ingame ... just buy what you need.

Bottom line? No game company makes significant changes unless their profit margin is threatened or it's easier for them in some significant way. Of course, they'll want to try to adhere to a certain 'design' or model insofar as it draws people into play the game, however; profit is always the final deciding consideration. If something is unpopular enough to threaten profit, you can be sure that will be changed.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said:

Yes, I understood what you said the first time, Varanis. My point is that it's NOT difficult at all to obtain nirnhoned items - there's a very easy way around that 'design' and I don't need to cooperate with other players at all - just buy the item.

IF the real intent was to make Nirnhoned trait only available to players who did the proper content/quests, then it wouldn't be so simple to bypass it. My point was that the lore & content aren't the most important consideration.

I don't even have to farm the gems if I want to use them for gear ... just buy it from a trader - just like I'll be buying my low level mats now when I need them. There's really NO need to do stuff ingame ... just buy what you need.

Bottom line? No game company makes significant changes unless their profit margin is threatened or it's easier for them in some significant way. Of course, they'll want to try to adhere to a certain 'design' or model insofar as it draws people into play the game, however; profit is always the final deciding consideration. If something is unpopular enough to threaten profit, you can be sure that will be changed.

Buying the item is cooperating with other players though. Cooperating through the economy, sure, but that's part of the design of nirnhoned traits.

Other players learned that trait, then crafted that item for sale, so that you could buy it to learn the trait. Often, people will just ask others to craft them research items with that trait.

Since there are few ways for players to learn nirnhoned on their own, the vast majority of nirnhoned gear in circulation comes from players cooperating - crafters who learned it from another crafter or players who learned the trait from a crafted item made by someone who learned the trait.
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭

As I said:

Buying the item is cooperating with other players though. Cooperating through the economy, sure, but that's part of the design of nirnhoned traits.

Other players learned that trait, then crafted that item for sale, so that you could buy it to learn the trait. Often, people will just ask others to craft them research items with that trait.

Since there are few ways for players to learn nirnhoned on their own, the vast majority of nirnhoned gear in circulation comes from players cooperating - crafters who learned it from another crafter or players who learned the trait from a crafted item made by someone who learned the trait.

Well, I see that you managed to ignore the point of MY post in favour of obsessing over how arduous it is to learn the nirnhoned trait. ;)

BTW, there are NO traits that players learn all 'on their own' because they all require an item with the trait on it in order to research it. In fact, they MAY have gotten these other items by cooperating in delves or doing content with other people OR by asking someone to make it OR buying it through the player economy!!! Sorry for the sarcasm, but your point is losing it's relevance for me very quickly and I begin to think you just want to be inflammatory. lol

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said:

Well, I see that you managed to ignore the point of MY post in favour of obsessing over how arduous it is to learn the nirnhoned trait. ;)

BTW, there are NO traits that players learn all 'on their own' because they all require an item with the trait on it in order to research it. In fact, they MAY have gotten these other items by cooperating in delves or doing content with other people OR by asking someone to make it OR buying it through the player economy!!! Sorry for the sarcasm, but your point is losing it's relevance for me very quickly and I begin to think you just want to be inflammatory. lol

Not trying to be inflammatory. But if we've wandered past the point of relevancy, I'll bow out of the discussion.
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    I belong to a guild that crafts gear for new players if they want/need it. The way we have dealt with this is to coordinate our efforts to acquire the lower tier materials. Most of us have some mostly unused alt that can be assigned to a material tier with little difficulty. We share out the gathering and pool together the resources from that and the random materials you get from doing writs. I have a couple alts that I don't gather on, but have their crafting set at a certain tier with maxed out hirelings to give a slow but steady trickle of resources.

Basically, if you want to do it all yourself, then you will have a hard time (which is why you started this thread, right?). On the other hand, if you get together with some like-minded people to keep a little of the lower level stuff around, it really isn't that hard to get enough for making someone some gear now and then.
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Kraynic wrote: »
    I belong to a guild that crafts gear for new players if they want/need it. The way we have dealt with this is to coordinate our efforts to acquire the lower tier materials. Most of us have some mostly unused alt that can be assigned to a material tier with little difficulty. We share out the gathering and pool together the resources from that and the random materials you get from doing writs. I have a couple alts that I don't gather on, but have their crafting set at a certain tier with maxed out hirelings to give a slow but steady trickle of resources.

Basically, if you want to do it all yourself, then you will have a hard time (which is why you started this thread, right?). On the other hand, if you get together with some like-minded people to keep a little of the lower level stuff around, it really isn't that hard to get enough for making someone some gear now and then.

Yes, I understand that this will work when you are working with 'like-minded people', but the people in the guild I'm in are mostly new to ESO, have NO idea about crafting and haven't had time to get those skills. Most of the suggestions for 'workarounds' to this issue are noted and I'll try to use some of them.

I AM quite independent when it comes to crafting so I've maxed every craft. It's more about enjoying the total process for me, I guess - something I do miss from the 'old ESO'. I don't know why it feels so dissatisfying to me, but it does.

I've basically given up that idea now. I'll just buy mats if I need them like most others seem to do and try to forget there was ever any other way to attain those mats. LOL

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Magdalina, I think you missed my explanation of WHY I want to be able to gather lower level mats ..... I DID say that I "enjoy gathering and crafting for friends/guildmates." Please don't post if you haven't bothered to read the OP!

My proposal of returning to zones with different levels of mats won't significantly affect your ability to gather high end mats in ALL the other areas. Craglorn, Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Gold Coast, Vvardenfell and Clockwork City would ALL still give you the highest level mats. Your hirelings will STILL bring you high level mats.

pretty sure they read it, as did i and i dont like your idea either. What you propose would leave bots to farm the few high lvl areas and then top tier crafters run out of mats. You havent thought this through. Even without bots, you would limit the locations to get mats and it would mean more people there and less mats available. If you want lower lvl mats, do writs. or buy them. or make lower lvl toons.
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

Magdalina, I think you missed my explanation of WHY I want to be able to gather lower level mats ..... I DID say that I "enjoy gathering and crafting for friends/guildmates." Please don't post if you haven't bothered to read the OP!

My proposal of returning to zones with different levels of mats won't significantly affect your ability to gather high end mats in ALL the other areas. Craglorn, Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Gold Coast, Vvardenfell and Clockwork City would ALL still give you the highest level mats. Your hirelings will STILL bring you high level mats.

pretty sure they read it, as did i and i dont like your idea either. What you propose would leave bots to farm the few high lvl areas and then top tier crafters run out of mats. You havent thought this through. Even without bots, you would limit the locations to get mats and it would mean more people there and less mats available. If you want lower lvl mats, do writs. or buy them. or make lower lvl toons.

Well, actually, I was replying to Magdalina totally missing my reason for posting in the first place. If you read ALL the posts, you'd understand that but I suspect that you only read the first few before exploding your reply.

I'm ok with you not agreeing with my idea - I don't expect everyone to embrace it, but suggesting that I haven't thought it through isn't valid at all. I've read all the replies and accepted some of the explanations of why some people don't like the idea. You've added nothing in the way of suggestions that hadn't already been said in previous posts.

Maybe you didn't play ESO before 1Tamriel, Slick. The zones were all levelled then and I never heard anyone complain that they couldn't gather their high end mats.

Craglorn was talked about (if you bothered to read all the replies) and it is STILL the only area to get the Nirnhoned gems. Nobody complains that we can't gather those anywhere else - but maybe that's just not important to YOU. Some of us are more egocentric than others.

Finally, why bother coming in late to this DEAD discussion, Slick? I already said I've given up on my idea and that I would just buy mats if I need them - I don't need your redundant, obvious solutions. Go take out your aggression somewhere else.

• bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your suggestion that I do crafting writs to (hopefully) get a few lower level mats is also ridiculous.

Crafting writs take two seconds to do and toss 25 of a random mat at you. If you do cothing/blacksmithing/woodworking writs that's 75 mats a day. If you do them every day on one character for a week that's 525 free low level mats a week for clicking a few buttons.

Since you like crafting so much, why do you find it "ridiculous" to do the only quests in the game that give really useful rewards for crafting, especially when it's literally the answer to your question???

I like crafting for guildies too and always have a surplus from writs. Plus you get 2k a day off equipment writs per character, plus the chance for master writs, plus the chance for surveys, plus gold mats... but yeah, totally ridiculous for a crafter to do these amazing fast quests that reward crafting stuff...
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Your suggestion that I do crafting writs to (hopefully) get a few lower level mats is also ridiculous.

Crafting writs take two seconds to do and toss 25 of a random mat at you. If you do cothing/blacksmithing/woodworking writs that's 75 mats a day. If you do them every day on one character for a week that's 525 free low level mats a week for clicking a few buttons.

Since you like crafting so much, why do you find it "ridiculous" to do the only quests in the game that give really useful rewards for crafting, especially when it's literally the answer to your question???

I like crafting for guildies too and always have a surplus from writs. Plus you get 2k a day off equipment writs per character, plus the chance for master writs, plus the chance for surveys, plus gold mats... but yeah, totally ridiculous for a crafter to do these amazing fast quests that reward crafting stuff...

What I feel is ridiculous is suggesting that doing the writs and getting random mats (which may or may not be the ones I need to craft someone's gear & likely won't be enough to craft said gear) is equal in ANY to being able to go to a specific zone where I KNOW I'll find exactly the mats I need.

But I don't expect most people here to get it even though I've explained it in multiple ways.

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you didn't play ESO before 1Tamriel, Slick. The zones were all levelled then and I never heard anyone complain that they couldn't gather their high end mats.

I did play ESO before One Tamriel and at that time top tier mats were only available trough deconstruction and harvesting in DLC areas, which were the only ones which were leveled. Many of the zones were empty as a result, with most of the game population concentrated in capital cities and DLC zones. As a result the game was almost dead. I had to decon trash gear that I got in dungeons in order to craft my first CP160 sets of gear (there were few, if any complete dropped sets back then), and I had like 400 CP by then. So I do remember the game before One Tamriel and it was actually crap. And that opinion is certainly quite widely shared, since after that patch the game population increased greatly.

As for new players needing mats for gear, you only need about one set every 10 levels as the XP curve is quite steep and you will outlevel that in a day or two even when playing normally, without grinding, so that explains why the demand for those low level mats is so low. The most reliable way to get materials for that is simply to deconstruct the trash gear that drops from mobs, which is always leveled; it also levels your crafting skills in the process - that part is actually explained in the crafting tutorials so new players have no excuse for not knowing it. If you kill a few dozen mobs and decon you get enough materials for your new gear. So the problems you are complaining is simply a L2P one, not a game design one.
    Edited by Asardes on January 4, 2018 9:45AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    As a result the game was almost dead. I had to decon trash gear that I got in dungeons in order to craft my first CP160 sets of gear (there were few, if any complete dropped sets back then), and I had like 400 CP by then. So I do remember the game before One Tamriel and it was actually crap. And that opinion is certainly quite widely shared, since after that patch the game population increased greatly.

Though I’d be interested in your data that shows the direct correlation between the crafting node change and uptick in game population ...

... I do agree that leaving high level mat nodes in only a few zones does not reward all players equally (especially those who have not invested the time and skill points in the crafting professions).
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read ALL the posts, you'd understand that but I suspect that you only read the first few before exploding your reply.

right, so i dont agree with you so i mustnt have read it. Along with your thread title all in caps. Someones not coming across very well here, and its not me.
    I'm ok with you not agreeing with my idea - I don't expect everyone to embrace it, but suggesting that I haven't thought it through isn't valid at all. I've read all the replies and accepted some of the explanations of why some people don't like the idea. You've added nothing in the way of suggestions that hadn't already been said in previous posts.

Someones been offended now havent they.

So now i dont know what im talking about because i wasnt there. guess what, i was. I was actually annoyed by the change when it first happened, but since learned to deal with it. And once i started doing writs, very much appreciated the change.
    Craglorn was talked about (if you bothered to read all the replies) and it is STILL the only area to get the Nirnhoned gems. Nobody complains that we can't gather those anywhere else - but maybe that's just not important to YOU. Some of us are more egocentric than others.

Finally, why bother coming in late to this DEAD discussion, Slick? I already said I've given up on my idea and that I would just buy mats if I need them - I don't need your redundant, obvious solutions. Go take out your aggression somewhere else.

Less than 12hrs between you and me and you whine about coming in late. you come in here with a all caps thread title, accuse people who disagree of not reading your posts, or just not understanding, or even not being there, and then tell US to take our aggression elsewhere. If you cant handle people responding, dont post in the first place. Obviously this discussion isnt dead, because you're getting all cut up about it still.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    As a result the game was almost dead. I had to decon trash gear that I got in dungeons in order to craft my first CP160 sets of gear (there were few, if any complete dropped sets back then), and I had like 400 CP by then. So I do remember the game before One Tamriel and it was actually crap. And that opinion is certainly quite widely shared, since after that patch the game population increased greatly.

Though I’d be interested in your data that shows the direct correlation between the crafting node change and uptick in game population ...

... I do agree that leaving high level mat nodes in only a few zones does not reward all players equally (especially those who have not invested the time and skill points in the crafting professions).

It was not only the node scaling, but also many other things that made most zones interesting, like introducing sets, and making most quest rewards part of those sets; even mob scaling itself - as I said before if you were more than 5 levels above them you got neither XP nor loot. For example there was no reason besides Skyshards for going to Bangkorai Bronze, Silver or Gold before One Tamriel, but afterwards you had fully leveled Spriggan, and Scarab's Sting part of that set. The developers saw what made DLC zones that popular, and simply extended that system throughout the game. And they succeeded. Before One Tamriel the game was going bust big time.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I feel is ridiculous is suggesting that doing the writs and getting random mats (which may or may not be the ones I need to craft someone's gear & likely won't be enough to craft said gear) is equal in ANY to being able to go to a specific zone where I KNOW I'll find exactly the mats I need.

But I don't expect most people here to get it even though I've explained it in multiple ways.

I get you want to go grind for a specific low level mat on the fly so doing a random writ and hoping you get the exact mat you need in the moment is inefficient.

But the whole point is if you regularly do writs you WILL wind up with a stockpile of all the mats. They literally fall from the sky and then when you need them you'll have them.

Not exactly what you wanted but the game does provide a way to get a stockpile of mats of all levels and you're ignoring it.
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No system is going to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. What we have now is a heck of a lot better than before One Tamriel.

If you have characters that progressed beyond the levels for the 50% gathering aspect we now have, then respec a character to lower craft skills so you can gather those lower level mats. Your problem is solvable under the system we have without doing a major change to the system.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think what everyone in this post thinks is ridiculous, is making a post about a perceived problem that many people went out of there way to give you solutions, but you still feel its necesary to be rude to them and expecting Zos to cater the game just to you.

If your a master crafter that's not doing writs then how do you call yourself a master crafter? It's the quickest and most profitable way of making money in the game and wait for it....... gives you the low level mats you keep crying about. Not to mention you get master writs and gold mats to sell so you can buy more of your low level mats.

Other then creating low level alts or messing around with skill points, those are your options. Take it or leave it!!!

• Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Just as all of you have the right to express your opinions and make suggestions, so do I. I’d left ESO for over a year and, upon returning, found out that some things hadn’t changed and I wondered why.

I actually read your replies and suggestions. I said I would use some of these suggestions, said 'thank you' and declared this post dead some time ago, however; it appears that a few of you chose to keep it going. From reading the replies, I understand that the majority who read the forums and post here don't understand/agree with my point of view and I’m fine with that.

I honestly don’t know what else to say here. I got the information I wanted, but if certain people choose to keep throwing out the same suggestions that others have already mentioned and they don’t bother to actually read my replies, then this post has a life of its own outside of my original intentions.
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    At first I was concerned about the changed to the mats in 1T, I had just hit max level and also wanted to have a good supply of lower level mats to craft for others. Since the change however I have been pretty happy with it and would not personally reverse it. If you do the writs then chances are you have a good supply of lower level mats coming in like others have suggested, and I am always in need of higher level mats as having 3 characters doing the max daily writs can make my resources dwindle fast. I also like that I find the highest tier mats in all zones as I group up with some new players and help them along in the starter zones, so I can continue to collect my higher tier mats which I am always in need of.

That being said I always thought there was a relatively easy fix, can there not be some sort of toggle in crafting, that once you were beyond the level of that material, you could select which mats you were looking for? If you wanted Jute, select jute as your default clothing material you see. If you wanted Ruby Ash, then select Ruby ash as your default material you would find, the player would have control over this. These toggles should only become available once you have surpassed the level for the material. I always thought it would be a pretty simple way to keep everyone happy as if you do not do writs, do not want to buy lower level mats, and do not want the lower level person you are crafting for supplying materials then it could be a bit of a problem.
    Edited by summitxho on January 11, 2018 10:12PM
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current system is better for almost everyone, as well as can be supported by the 'gather what you can gather, sell, buy what you need' model.

Sure, I've run out of low level mats and thought about running out to gather some, but it's faster and easier to just buy some - even if I could gather them on my main.

Now if you asked for something like a toggle that would allow a player to set the level of materials found (basically replicating the functionality of skill level - but not requiring a full respect every time), then that might have gotten some support.

But basically asking the game to be changed to support your way of play when its obvious it would negatively impact a majority of players is just being selfish.

• Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    summitxho wrote: »
    At first I was concerned about the changed to the mats in 1T, I had just hit max level and also wanted to have a good supply of lower level mats to craft for others. Since the change however I have been pretty happy with it and would not personally reverse it. If you do the writs then chances are you have a good supply of lower level mats coming in like others have suggested, and I am always in need of higher level mats as having 3 characters doing the max daily writs can make my resources dwindle fast. I also like that I find the highest tier mats in all zones as I group up with some new players and help them along in the starter zones, so I can continue to collect my higher tier mats which I am always in need of.

That being said I always thought there was a relatively easy fix, can there not be some sort of toggle in crafting, that once you were beyond the level of that material, you could select which mats you were looking for? If you wanted Jute, select jute as your default clothing material you see. If you wanted Ruby Ash, then select Ruby ash as your default material you would find, the player would have control over this. These toggles should only become available once you have surpassed the level for the material. I always thought it would be a pretty simple way to keep everyone happy as if you do not do writs, do not want to buy lower level mats, and do not want the lower level person you are crafting for supplying materials then it could be a bit of a problem.

I appreciate that you seem to understand the intentions behind my OP, Summitxho and that (besides the aforementioned options) you have suggested an alternative, possible solution to address the issue.

I've become resigned to the current state of crafting now, although I also like the idea of a 'toggle' as another way to always have access to whatever mats we require.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We gain lower level matts via writs. I have tones of them as a result.

Additionally, the lower level matts sell for very low prices. Very cheap.

In the end, very small price to pay for having zones we do not out level.
  • Raiva172
    Raiva172
    ✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »
    Current system is better for almost everyone, as well as can be supported by the 'gather what you can gather, sell, buy what you need' model.

Sure, I've run out of low level mats and thought about running out to gather some, but it's faster and easier to just buy some - even if I could gather them on my main.

Now if you asked for something like a toggle that would allow a player to set the level of materials found (basically replicating the functionality of skill level - but not requiring a full respect every time), then that might have gotten some support.

But basically asking the game to be changed to support your way of play when its obvious it would negatively impact a majority of players is just being selfish.

It's interesting that you mention a 'toggle' directly after Summitxho's post about - exactly that. I would be all for that type of 'fix', although I hadn't thought about it myself.

I will say that your comment about me 'just being selfish' is a load of BS. I posted to find out if others have the same issue with the way things are being done in regards to gathering since 1Tamriel. I suggested some ways that the issue could be addressed and got some feedback - albeit mainly negative - which I noted and accepted.

BTW, Dawnblade, the game WAS changed with 1Tamriel in regards to gathering and it seems to me that the people who didn't like those changes at the time have either left the game (as I did then) or found a way to accept it and make it work, etc. I could (possibly??) understand someone thinking me selfish if I had just decided on my own that I'd like the game changed for just my purposes, however; that is not the case. Gathering was leveled and accessible before 1Tamriel - I played the game then and loved that aspect of it.

You must be superior to me in knowing what the 'majority of players' want! I see nothing 'obvious' about how allowing some zones to give lower level mats would negatively affect this 'majority.' BTW, Dawnblade, I highly doubt that the 'majority' of players even read or post in this forum.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Players will still be able to sell their lower level mats in the guild traders since many high level players have more gold to spend than time to gather mats.

Sorry to say that lower level mats don’t sell very well in the guild stores. Especially the mats between CP10 and CP150 ... since players only have to level one character through that range.

I do help out players with an in-zone rare request of those mid tier mats ... and charge them the master merchant going rate which is super reasonable.

That's news to me, the low level mats constantly sell for me. Sure they don't sell for a lot, but they always sell.

Without being subbed, I have to keep selling off my low level mats from writs just so I don't have to play inventory management games.
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think mats should all be random regardless of level. But who really uses those middle mato anyways? Sad but the system itself kinda sucks.

It is still do see jute instead of a lot of silk for some reason.

• ValandarTheRed
    ValandarTheRed
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the original post...

Wouldn't this have the same problem they had before, where only people with the Orsinium DLC could farm the CP150+ mats?
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't this have the same problem they had before, where only people with the Orsinium DLC could farm the CP150+ mats?

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you could find CP150 nodes in Craglorn (base game).
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you could find CP150 nodes in Craglorn (base game).

No, you could only farm void cloth, void ore, and nightwood. I kinda miss those mats, there were pretty to look at and fit the otherwordly nature of Craglorn well.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

No, you could only farm void cloth, void ore, and nightwood. I kinda miss those mats, there were pretty to look at and fit the otherwordly nature of Craglorn well.

I stand corrected. In my defense, that was 16 months ago and I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, so there's that...

Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)