The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Wizard's riposte and shields

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can crit shields but won't deal crit damage.

This is why, for example, a shield won't just pwn power surge or scathing mage.

It's liking reading my own posts 3 years ago, and now realizing, I really did need to L2P back then.

But I hate telling people to L2P...

But....

If the shoe fits...
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love how the sorc community starts to troll everything when something actually broken is being talked about.

IF I can't crit shields, I should not proc wizard riposte when hitting a shield, simple as that really.
    I don't know how can you argue against something as clear as this.

Easy. It isn't just wizards reposte that works that way.
    It is a straightforward mechanic in that landing a crit hit counts as a crit, regardless of whether crit damage is taken.
    It would be wrong to bring in an exception to a rule for the sake of one set. That road only leads to confusion. If wizards reposted needs a nerf then it should be done in a different way. Personally, I don't care, since I don't own the set, but I do care about having consistent game mechanics.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting info here, so does that mean that something like briarheart will proc on dmg shields too?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Some interesting info here, so does that mean that something like briarheart will proc on dmg shields too?

I guess it should on this case.
    Not really a fan of proc sets, so never tested myself.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭

It's liking reading my own posts 3 years ago, and now realizing, I really did need to L2P back then.

But....

If the shoe fits...

I said the shield takes critical damage but does not take extra damage. you besides having to learn to play you need to learn to read and stop with your arrogance.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordSlif wrote: »

But....

If the shoe fits...

I said the shield takes critical damage but does not take extra damage. you besides having to learn to play you need to learn to read and stop with your arrogance.

Oh I understood, my comment was about the general theme of comments in this thread.

It's a fact, Transmutation, brass, impregnable, and Riposte all provide extremely close to the same mitigation amounts.

Factor in lesser used sets like Pariah, heartland, ironblood and you come to realize what Riposte provides isn't unique at all and the fact you are calling for the nerf of a set that's one of many, you understand it's a L2P issue. You only recognize Riposte because it has an animation
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ^
    No, he only recognizes Riposte because #nerfsorcz.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how the sorc community starts to troll everything when something actually broken is being talked about.

IF I can't crit shields, I should not proc wizard riposte when hitting a shield, simple as that really.

The argument is that the whole point of the set is to reduce incoming damage. How can it be fair for healers and blockers to benefit from this set, but not shielders? When are you guys going to get it through your heads that shields are the de facto mechanic for magicka Sorcs to survive incoming damage? Why should sets like Riposte and Pirate Skeleton be off limits to Sorcs?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Not tested it, but it should do.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shield breaker should break shields. Not fire through it.
    #NerfShieldBreaker
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The argument is that the whole point of the set is to reduce incoming damage. How can it be fair for healers and blockers to benefit from this set, but not shielders? When are you guys going to get it through your heads that shields are the de facto mechanic for magicka Sorcs to survive incoming damage? Why should sets like Riposte and Pirate Skeleton be off limits to Sorcs?

Thing is, "nerf sorc" threads got a bit screwed up with the latest nerfs to sorc, so they had to adapt and evolve in to this type of threads.
    Basically crying nerf sorcs by wanting to change useful set for sorcs, into garbage, but only to sorcs.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    #NerfShieldBreaker

Sometimes the only way to beat cheese is to bring even more cheese :D . Should rename the set to "Cheese-breaker"
    Edited by Qbiken on December 29, 2017 10:18AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I still find it funny how ridiculously strong Heavy Armor Stamina 1H&S/2H setups are atm. You have incredible mobility with Forward Momentum and Immovable pots, increased healing from HA, good resource management that isn’t as hurt by Siphoner as Light or Medium builds for wearing HA, very high tankiness from legit being a tank build, and because of certain sets like Seventh, Truth, etc you get enormous burst damage in an AoE with just HA -> Dawnbreaker -> Reverse Slice Spam. You can also burst immediately and with basically zero telegraph. The playstyle itself has no true counters besides purely zerging them down.

Wasn’t the complaint a loooooong time ago that Mag Sorcs were OP for having high tankiness and mobility, despite still having counters like Shieldbreaker/snares and roots, alongside a burst combo that was single target as well as telegraphed+mostly purgeable?

It looks like PvP in this game will always have a dominating spec to use :unamused:
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set needs 2 things. Remove the procc when you crit a shield on the target, and give it a 5s cooldown so you cant keep proccing it on unlimited targets all the time. (personally Id also like a reduction in the duration of the maim)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    This set needs 2 things. Remove the procc when you crit a shield on the target, and give it a 5s cooldown so you cant keep proccing it on unlimited targets all the time. (personally Id also like a reduction in the duration of the maim)

Because only NBs and DKs should have Maim?
    And if you nerf it that way, people are just gonna spam Necropotence+Shadowrend your way.
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭

@Ragnarock41 u got the point, ty for explain, it is very simple.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your suggestion to have it not proc on crits against shields makes it inconsistent with every other set/ability in the game that procs on crits. It also targets Magicka Sorcs more than every other class because they’re the only class that lives almost solely thanks to shields (which is why they have two main damage shields instead of one). The nerf you propose is basically a nerf to solo Mag Sorcs that use this set with zero change to the effect it has in all other scenarios.

Your second suggestion, which was to add a 5-second cooldown, outright ruins the set and makes it one of the worst in the game....
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    If u are not receiving the crit dmg u cant proc a crit dmg effect, this is obvious
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    It isn't anything to do with reposte, its how shields work. Even though they don't take crit damage, they still register as crit hits - for good or ill. eg. A stam sorc with surge up critting against a shield user will trigger the crit-surge heal, just as the shield-user will trigger reposte.

I'm pretty sure zos introduced this set with full knowledge of that mechanic.

You cannot change it for one without impacting every other set/ability/mechanic that triggers off a crit. I'm sure nobody really wants that.

Im sure people here are not understanding what im saying...
    Critical DMG is completely different from Critical STRIKE

Power Surge:
    While active, dealing a Critical Strike heals you for [x] Health. This effect can occur once every 1 second.

Wizard's Riposte Set:
    When you take Critical Damage, you apply Minor Maim to the enemy for 15 seconds, reducing their damage done by 15%

If u have shields up and u are not receiving the critical dmg it is not a crit dmg, it is just a crit strike, because the critical damage multiplier (shield) is 0 and something x 0 is 0 so THERE IS NO CRIT DMG. What im seeing here is a bunch of people trying to justify a exploit... this set is applying minor main whitout any cooldown for 15sec and without any kind of downside, minor maim is a strong debuff so u must to recive the crit dmg to proc it (the downside)... it is balancing ...
    Edited by LordSlif on December 29, 2017 6:42PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If u are not receiving the crit dmg u cant proc a crit dmg effect, this is obvious

Or maybe, MAYBE, the devs... you know, the dudes who make this game and know how it works... were aware of how shields notice crits and decided to not give WR a generic chance, but make it more effective against something you already can mitigate, to balance it.
    I know, MIND=BLOWN!
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how the 3 sorcs left start to troll everything when something actually broken is being talked about.

Fixed that for you
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    #NerfShieldBreaker

Sometimes the only way to beat cheese is to bring even more cheese :D . Should rename the set to "Cheese-breaker"

Ok so where's the block breaker set?
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Or maybe, MAYBE, the devs... you know, the dudes who make this game and know how it works... were aware of how shields notice crits and decided to not give WR a generic chance, but make it more effective against something you already can mitigate, to balance it.
    I know, MIND=BLOWN!

Exploit... crit dmg =! Crit strike
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    #NerfShieldBreaker

Ok so where's the block breaker set?

Looking for it too
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I know, MIND=BLOWN!

Exploit... crit dmg =! Crit strike

Crit damage value = 0. That IS a value.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    It isn't anything to do with reposte, its how shields work. Even though they don't take crit damage, they still register as crit hits - for good or ill. eg. A stam sorc with surge up critting against a shield user will trigger the crit-surge heal, just as the shield-user will trigger reposte.

I'm pretty sure zos introduced this set with full knowledge of that mechanic.

You cannot change it for one without impacting every other set/ability/mechanic that triggers off a crit. I'm sure nobody really wants that.

Im sure people here are not understanding what im saying...
    Critical DMG is completely different from Critical STRIKE

Power Surge:
    While active, dealing a Critical Strike heals you for [x] Health. This effect can occur once every 1 second.

Wizard's Riposte Set:
    When you take Critical Damage, you apply Minor Maim to the enemy for 15 seconds, reducing their damage done by 15%

If u have shields up and u are not receiving the critical dmg it is not a crit dmg, it is just a crit strike, because the critical damage multiplier (shield) is 0 and something x 0 is 0 so THERE IS NO CRIT DMG. What im seeing here is a bunch of people trying to justify a exploit... this set is applying minor main whitout any cooldown for 15sec and without any kind of downside, minor maim is a strong debuff so u must to recive the crit dmg to proc it (the downside)... it is balancing ...

Question.. If you have enough impen to reduce the damage from a critical hit to 0 - does it still count as critical damage?

If they were intended to work differently then they should. Its up to Zos to determine what that intention is though. I've seen a LOT of fixes from them where they have just adjusted the tooltip/description as opposed to the ability.

Personally, I think its uptime is on the high side - but to throw around words like 'exploiting' is a bit much.. (again - I've never had a set of this, nor do I need one - so no axe to grind either way).
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can crit shield's, as anything in the game. What the shield has is infinite crit resistance, so that's why it is not shown.

So, WAI
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And if you nerf it that way, people are just gonna spam Necropotence+Shadowrend your way.

You can use knightmare ^^

I think the set is OK
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

You can use knightmare ^^

I think the set is OK
    Also an overlooked option...
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LEL who cares
    Warden is what’s really op

Tbh wizards is a wasted set on sorc IMO. Great now I get a sustain or dmg set and then lose min max value on either sustain or dmg. Because I could be running the best sustain set with a high damage set and survive off skill alone.
    Just shield well and set your cp correctly

Back whenever pirate was rampant on flavor sorcs i’d always get asked if I had it on. Bsw lich vma inferno 1x infernal. And still mitigate like I’m in pirate. Ward rotation practice
    Edited by Irylia on December 29, 2017 8:21PM