The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Wizard's riposte and shields

LordSlif
LordSlif
✭✭✭✭
I'll say the same thing that i said about Pirate Skeleton and shields:
Wizard's riposte procs when u recive critical dmg, BUT we know that shields dnt recive the extra dmg from crit strikes... so why are shields applying the debuff if they dnt recive the extra dmg? We know that crit dmg hurts and players that use shields and wizard's riposte are getting a strong "buff" without recive the crit dmg. Zos should do the same thing they have done with pirate skeleton, dmg on shields should not procs wizard's riposte effect
@ZOS_Wrobel
Edited by LordSlif on December 28, 2017 2:22PM
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be cool with that. That set is really annoying. At least remove the stupid hum from the effect.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizard´s Riposte could get the Pirate Skeleton treatment and still be a viable set.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's called "WIZARD's Riposte"... Makes sense for it to proc on magical shields. Impregnable and Fortified Brass work best on HP, this set is designed for shielders.

It's not OP. The health bonus is basically a wasted bonus, and the maim effect gets weaker the more mitigation you already have.
    You can also achieve Maim with Shadowrend and Shade, both will proc Necropotence for more mitigation 1v1.

Curse the current defensive meta as a whole, not a single set.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get off my build!!!!

After all the nerfs, how the hell can anyone still be complaining about sorcs...

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get off my build!!!!

After all the nerfs, how the hell can anyone still be complaining about sorcs...

I think I see magplars and magblades use Wizard´s Riposte more often than I see magsorcs using it to be honest.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Get off my build!!!!

I think I see magplars and magblades use Wizard´s Riposte more often than I see magsorcs using it to be honest.
    The latter makes little sense, tbh, they already have Fear and Shades for the debuff.

• Saint_Bud
    Saint_Bud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such a set should not exist.
    PVP Saint-Bud magicka Templar: AR 49
    PVE Lord Victarion mDK : dro'm-Athra-Destroyer pre Morrowind retired for crafting
    PVE Ramsay-Bolton magicka NB: Voice of Reason Clockwork City Patch retired
    VAA hm/ VHRC hm/ VSO hm/ VMOL hm/ VHOF hm/ VAS hm clear

Stop playing PVE because its boring, content not disigned for melee players and class balance and sustain is ***
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Get off my build!!!!

The latter makes little sense, tbh, they already have Fear and Shades for the debuff.

One of the funniest combos I´ve played on magicka NB is Wizard´s Riposte + Transmutation (think I saw the build from KenaPK). Extremely tanky even in light armor. Sure they´ve shades and fear, but shade is somewhat semi-broken and only affects 1 person, and fear affects lesser people than it used to do.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get off my build!!!!

Those 2 skills no one uses much anymore because Riposte does the debuff for you, instantly and effortlessly. You're better off with Flame Reach or Cripple for your CC for better timing of combo's. Shade is also broken as in it doesn't allow you to portback, only applies the debuff for 4 seconds and only applies to one target. Wizards Riposte applies it to the Templar who cast the Ritual you just walked through, the DK that reflected your light attack, the sorc that cast anything at you, the other NB that's just tried to gank you from Cloak. I hope you're getting the idea, basically that whole group you're fighting has turned purple and will stay that way the whole duration of the fight.
    PC EU
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Get off my build!!!!

One of the funniest combos I´ve played on magicka NB is Wizard´s Riposte + Transmutation (think I saw the build from KenaPK). Extremely tanky even in light armor. Sure they´ve shades and fear, but shade is somewhat semi-broken and only affects 1 person, and fear affects lesser people than it used to do.

Well, if you aim to live longer in a group of enemies, it certainly helps. But you should typically avoid those situations in the first place. Three people wailing on you is more than enough...
    ._.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those 2 skills no one uses much anymore because Riposte does the debuff for you, instantly and effortlessly. You're better off with Flame Reach or Cripple for your CC for better timing of combo's.

Not true at all. Vast majority of NBs use at least one of the two.

Shadow Image is both an escape tool and a proc for Necropotence, not just a Maim. Escape, buff and debuff rolled into one. Fear is necessary to burn the stam of permablockers and to give you windows of burst (for example, a guaranteed landing of Meteor and a Merciless Resolve unblocked).

You can go without one of the two, but going without both (especially on a destro staff), you're a guaranteed kill for the first semi-capable MagDK you'll meet. You'll be perma-rooted and slowed without being able to land a Hard CC and without an escape skill.

EU | PC | AD
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Riposte isn’t making or breaking you killing someone. It literally just takes a small amount of pressure off light armor builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Riposte isn’t making or breaking you killing someone. It literally just takes a small amount of pressure off light armor builds

Weakening enchants are worse than reposte (and probably what's making it feel more OP than it is).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordSlif wrote: »
    I'll say the same thing that i said about Pirate Skeleton and shields:
    Wizard's riposte procs when u recive critical dmg, BUT we know that shields dnt recive the extra dmg from crit strikes... so why are shields applying the debuff if they dnt recive the extra dmg? We know that crit dmg hurts and players that use shields and wizard's riposte are getting a strong "buff" without recive the crit dmg. Zos should do the same thing they have done with pirate skeleton, dmg on shields should not procs wizard's riposte effect
    @ZOS_Wrobel

No, that's the way it SHOULD work. ZOS made a terrible mistake and set a bad precedent when they nerfed Pirate Skeleton. This thread is the proof of that!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Weakening enchants are worse than reposte (and probably what's making it feel more OP than it is).

Shhh
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

that isnt the issue here, It procs literally because you accidentally light attacked the guy or your volatile armor somehow critted on the guy, and then it debuffs you forever. I also have NO CLUE, why it works with shields. like.. WHY?
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get off my build!!!!

He pluralized shields so i immediately thought the reference was with sorcs. And because I get so many hate tells in game.

Nonetheless, running this set has enabled me to play with just hard ward, which frees up a bar slot to add a little diversity to the sorc class. It's also a big sacrifice in offensive to play more defensively.

I get it's probably a bigger pain on magplars and magblades though.
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Shhh

Send me a PM if you don't want to say publicly but I was looking at infused weakening the other day thinking I could replace riposte with this weapon glyph and run another set instead...but the infused glyph was still like 340something dmg and I'm not sure the uptime with infused but are hinting the dmg reduction is comparable to the maim?
    Edited by Malamar1229 on December 28, 2017 6:31PM
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's called "WIZARD's Riposte"... Makes sense for it to proc on magical shields. Impregnable and Fortified Brass work best on HP, this set is designed for shielders.

It's not OP. The health bonus is basically a wasted bonus, and the maim effect gets weaker the more mitigation you already have.
    You can also achieve Maim with Shadowrend and Shade, both will proc Necropotence for more mitigation 1v1.

Ill repeat Im not talking about magsorcs, but in this game a strong buff comes with a strong downside, "the two sides of the coin", but when someone is full divines and using a set that must to recive crit dmg to procs its effect because u can exploit it with shields, im sure that there is a problem with this set
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weakening enchant is the direct counter to berserker enchant (weapon and spell damage). It is usually 5-10% damage reduction depending on the build, and is therefore weaker than riposte's 15%. The two can stack for even more mitigation.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ill repeat Im not talking about magsorcs, but in this game a strong buff comes with a strong downside, "the two sides of the coin", but when someone is full divines and using a set that must to recive crit dmg to procs its effect because u can exploit it with shields, im sure that there is a problem with this set

Don't worry, if someone wears full divines, he's gonna get pulverized by the first competent player that comes around. No problem here.
    My LA MagDK and MagNB use shields, btw.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pirate Skeleton comes with a downside that shields ignore. Wizard's Riposte doesn't have a downside to ignore. You aren't ignoring crit damage because of the set but because of the shield. The set doesn't change that, and works in this scenario just like in any other.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id be ok with changing the set to provide defile instead :)
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't anything to do with reposte, its how shields work. Even though they don't take crit damage, they still register as crit hits - for good or ill. eg. A stam sorc with surge up critting against a shield user will trigger the crit-surge heal, just as the shield-user will trigger reposte.

I'm pretty sure zos introduced this set with full knowledge of that mechanic.

You cannot change it for one without impacting every other set/ability/mechanic that triggers off a crit. I'm sure nobody really wants that.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    It isn't anything to do with reposte, its how shields work. Even though they don't take crit damage, they still register as crit hits - for good or ill. eg. A stam sorc with surge up critting against a shield user will trigger the crit-surge heal, just as the shield-user will trigger reposte.

You cannot change it for one without impacting every other set/ability/mechanic that triggers off a crit. I'm sure nobody really wants that.

Of course you can change it apart from other stuff. Just no reason to.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • LordSlif
    LordSlif
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Pirate Skeleton comes with a downside that shields ignore. Wizard's Riposte doesn't have a downside to ignore. You aren't ignoring crit damage because of the set but because of the shield. The set doesn't change that, and works in this scenario just like in any other.

Shields are ignoring crit dmg and the set works with crit dmg... we have a problem here
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Shields are ignoring crit dmg and the set works with crit dmg... we have a problem here
    True. Change it so that every time you take damage, there's a 50% chance to proc Minor Maim for 15 seconds. Happy now?
    NEEEXT!
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Needs a buff. Should apply both major and minor maim.
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

^^

For the uninitiated. You deal crit damage, the shield takes a look at the damage, and changes it to the shield damage type, (which either has a multiplier of zero on the base, OR a negative multiplier which takes the crit damage and reverts it) and subtracts it from the shield. Any damage over the size of the shield has the crit multiplier factor in normally.

Either way, the damage you dealt was critical, it just deals no extra damage.

Fun facts, using a DPS test, you can see that you are hitting people with hardened ward/harness mag.

MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love how the sorc community starts to troll everything when something actually broken is being talked about.

IF I can't crit shields, I should not proc wizard riposte when hitting a shield, simple as that really.
    I don't know how can you argue against something as clear as this.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 29, 2017 12:05AM