The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Even if I wanted Frostcaster, I would never buy it until you can get the style mats like trash ones.

Dapper Dinosaur
Dapper Dinosaur
✭✭✭✭✭
There is absolutely no excuse for a crafting style to not only be crown-exclusive, but to be wicked expensive on top of that (last year it was even more expensive than it was this year), and in addition, to literally have no way in-game to get the crafting style material for it. [snip]

It doesn't surprise me that Zenimax (50$ for a merchant OR banker that don't even have all of their normal functions, anyone?) thinks this is ok, [snip]

[edited for bashing & petition/protest]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 12, 2022 4:43PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (last year it was even more expensive than it was this year)
    It was the exact same price last year (2K), with the exact same number of crown style mats included (5).

If you bought the Halloween crown-exclusive motif (2.2K crowns with >50 included mats), then you should have plenty of mats to craft both styles. In any case, the price points--and number of bundled mats--were identical for both motifs both this year and last.

Finally, there are people who sell the style mat in-game. They got it by deconning pieces of gear made using the crown mats, and if they don't think they'll craft in that style again in the future (or if they just want to convert their crown mats into gold), then they'll list it for sale in the player-to-player market. It's not that expensive, last I checked.
    Edited by code65536 on December 26, 2017 3:44AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had heard from at least one person that it was more expensive last year.

I don't believe for a second that the grim harlequin bundle came with 50 mimic stones for 20 bucks, and they don't use the same style material.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You heard wrong.
    I don't believe for a second that the grim harlequin bundle came with 50 mimic stones for 20 bucks
    You are free to check archived sale announcements on the forum if you don't believe me.
    and they don't use the same style material.
    That's irrelevant. Mimic stones are universal.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do think it's really lame that you have to buy mimic stones to craft it even after spending money to learn the style. Also only coming with 5 mimic stones on top of that when the Grim Harlequin one came with 50 is not ok.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe for a second that the grim harlequin bundle came with 50 mimic stones for 20 bucks, and they don't use the same style material.

You heard? [snip]

i have 63 crown mimic stones and i bought both frostcaster and grim harlequin this year. i think iv used 1. and i believe i had at least 1 before buying those motifs.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 12, 2022 4:44PM
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the only argument I'm getting against this is "Well, if you bought this other 20$ motif that you may or may not care for, you would have the crown-only stones to make frostcaster".

You guys aren't seeing what's wrong with this?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can buy materials in game for more or less affordable prices so that's a non issue.

Now the whole idea of Crown Store exclusive motifs, as well as crowns->gold conversion is an issue and is why I'm not going to buy any for that reason.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eso is a business not a charity, never bought crown packs as I get enough from subscriptions to pay for what little I want from the store
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if you only buy Crown Packs when they are on sale ( like now ), your price is almost half. That why I stock up on sales.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the only argument I'm getting against this is "Well, if you bought this other 20$ motif that you may or may not care for, you would have the crown-only stones to make frostcaster".

Yeah I'd be fine if the Frostcaster style also came with 50 but can someone please give a valid reason as to why one motif gives 44 more mimic stones than the other when they are both the same price? This seems wrong.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no excuse for a crafting style to not only be crown-exclusive, but to be wicked expensive on top of that (last year it was even more expensive than it was this year), and in addition, to literally have no way in-game to get the crafting style material for it. [snip]

It doesn't surprise me that Zenimax (50$ for a merchant OR banker that don't even have all of their normal functions, anyone?) thinks this is ok, [snip]

Geez you want them free ? Its 2000 crowna, you want it buy it. If not let it go.
    Deconstruct the item to get mat or use mimic stones. Its not hard !

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 12, 2022 4:45PM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arguing about incorrect facts aside, the mimic stone requirement is why I haven't purchased Stalhrim either. Whether you buy mimic stones or find the shards in guild traders, someone had to spend real money. I'd be more than okay with the crown exclusive motifs if the style dropped in game, even if rarely. Mimic stones should be an option, not a requirement.
    Edited by heaven13 on December 26, 2017 3:45PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I know the style mat is sometimes sold in guild stores for gold, that is not a reliable or stable source.

So I'm with the OP. A crown store style using mats which can only be bought with crowns is not something I would ever buy.

I don't love Frostcaster anyway. The weapons are nice but the armours are unimpressive.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would have bought it, at its current price, if the mats actually dropped in game. I know someone else who also hasn't bought it because of the mats. I was all set to get it until someone warned me about the mats. I will not get something that is dependent on either the crown store or other players, that's a pain in the butt.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apache_Kid wrote: »

Yeah I'd be fine if the Frostcaster style also came with 50 but can someone please give a valid reason as to why one motif gives 44 more mimic stones than the other when they are both the same price? This seems wrong.

Grim Harlequin has the extra stones to entice you to buy it since Stalhrim is the nicer/more popular of the two, is my guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Grim Harlequin has the extra stones to entice you to buy it since Stalhrim is the nicer/more popular of the two, is my guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eh I guess although personally I like the Grim Harlequin alot. Not sure the gap in coolness is that big for me. Still seems weird.
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should at least get enough stones for a complete set of armor and weapons.

I just think something called FROSTcaster should take white or light blue dye better than it does.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think it's simply that Grim Harlequin was the first Crown Exclusive motif they introduced and a lot of people were rather opposed to the idea because it's the first time they really went back on "no stuff in Crown Store that you can't get in game, except fluff" - technically a motif IS fluff, but one you can give other players for gold...because of this they tried to make it as enticing as possible I guess and even those opposing it reluctantly agreed it's a decent deal.

Then ZOS looked at the number of people who bought Grim Harlequin and happily made the next Crown exclusive motif, this time without being afraid no one will buy it even without the added mimic stones bonus.

I'm still very much opposed to the idea of Crown Store exclusive motifs, however many mimic stones they come with. This should not be a thing.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I passed on it the first time around as well for those very reasons, but after making an ice mage it just wasn't complete to me without ice styled weapons. While I don't have buyers remorse as I'm content with the look, I'll not be buying anymore crown exclusive motifs unless they come with at least 50 mimic stones like grim.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last year, when Grim was released, this is what I said on the forums:
    code65536 wrote: »
    The pricing, though, is very generous.

A pack of 54 Mimic Stones costs 2400 crowns.

The Grim motif includes 54 Mimic Stones and costs 2200 crowns.

So one way to look at it is that they discounted the Mimic Stones by 200 and tossed in a free motif...

I was very much opposed to the idea of CS-exclusive motifs, but when they revealed the details on the bundle, it was simply too good of a deal to pass up, and I bought it.

A couple of months later when Frostcaster came, it was 2000 crowns with 5 stones--200 crowns cheaper, but 49 fewer stones. At the time, the sentiment on the forum was that ZOS had thought that their pricing on Grim was too generous (and arguably, it was), so they toned down Frostcaster.

I honestly expected Grim to return to the Crown Store this year at 2K crowns with 5 stones. I was pretty surprised to see it return with the exact same generous price point and bundle as last year.

In any case, if I hadn't bought the Grim motif and gotten those 54 stones, I probably would not have bought the Frostcaster motif. But because I had gotten all those stones a couple of months earlier, the lack of stones in the Frostcaster bundle didn't faze me. Come to think of it, maybe that was their plan all along?
    Edited by code65536 on December 26, 2017 11:08PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So one way to look at it is that they discounted the Mimic Stones by 200 and tossed in a free motif...

I was very much opposed to the idea of CS-exclusive motifs, but when they revealed the details on the bundle, it was simply too good of a deal to pass up, and I bought it.

A couple of months later when Frostcaster came, it was 2000 crowns with 5 stones--200 crowns cheaper, but 49 fewer stones. At the time, the sentiment on the forum was that ZOS had thought that their pricing on Grim was too generous (and arguably, it was), so they toned down Frostcaster.

I honestly expected Grim to return to the Crown Store this year at 2K crowns with 5 stones. I was pretty surprised to see it return with the exact same generous price point and bundle as last year.

In any case, if I hadn't bought the Grim motif and gotten those 54 stones, I probably would not have bought the Frostcaster motif. But because I had gotten all those stones a couple of months earlier, the lack of stones in the Frostcaster bundle didn't faze me. Come to think of it, maybe that was their plan all along?

Well it's not the worst trick they've pulled in the Crown Store so far. But it does set an uncomfortable presedence that in order to utilize the 2 motifs, after you've spent your 50 or so stones that came with it, you'll have to go to the store every time you want to craft it - for yourself or anyone else. And with motif transmog coming, appearance changing might come back in style. And what when they add a 3rd and 4th motif to the store? We already spent money buying the exclusive motifs in the first place, it doesn't sit well with me to keep funnelling money in their direction every time you want to use that motif.

Having some way to obtain the motif stones that didn't involve the CS wouldn't have been such a horrible idea - though I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for ZOS' marketing department to make it happen.
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew you were that passionate about motifs and crafting Code.
  • Scallan
    Scallan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never knew you were that passionate about motifs and crafting Code.

Why did you just necro a 5 year old post to add unnecessary commentary?
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in December 2017. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.