The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

HACKED ACCOUNTS (UPDATED) - INFO ABOUT ISSUE, DATA COLLECTION, KIND REQUEST FOR ZOS TO FIX THIS

• Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

did you read all those 3 pages of her post, which I shared in my OP?

there is enough details for you, you would understand that it was in no way her fault

i was responding to lordsemaj - they claim they got hacked multiple times but refused an authenticator.
    Edited by Slick_007 on December 20, 2017 3:03PM
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    People can say that it's all her fault because they know better, but it isn't normal that developer does absolutely nothing about it and allows the hacker to steal even more things like all gold from guild banks, like she claimed. If Zenimax can't check where someone was hacked and all they have to say is one time gold compensation, then they really look poorly when you compare them to Blizzard, which gives player every information on how/when/where she/he was hacked and gives all stuff back. I can't believe that these series of hacked accounts in Czech Republic was in fact some Czech gang trying to duplicate all their items.

Agreed , the zos brown nosing and victim shaming is just disgusting in this thread. Zos has the worst customer service I have ever seen in over twenty years of gaming. Downright abysmal.

I see you've not dealt with Sony then. That aside, ZoS are truly awful in my personal experience. So much so, I left the game for a year due to their inability to sort the whole crowns and subbing issue on Xbox. I eventually got a 6 month full refund from MS, but it was no thanks to ZoS.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People can say that it's all her fault because they know better, but it isn't normal that developer does absolutely nothing about it and allows the hacker to steal even more things like all gold from guild banks, like she claimed. If Zenimax can't check where someone was hacked and all they have to say is one time gold compensation, then they really look poorly when you compare them to Blizzard, which gives player every information on how/when/where she/he was hacked and gives all stuff back. I can't believe that these series of hacked accounts in Czech Republic was in fact some Czech gang trying to duplicate all their items.

Agreed , the zos brown nosing and victim shaming is just disgusting in this thread. Zos has the worst customer service I have ever seen in over twenty years of gaming. Downright abysmal.

I see you've not dealt with Sony then. That aside, ZoS are truly awful in my personal experience. So much so, I left the game for a year due to their inability to sort the whole crowns and subbing issue on Xbox. I eventually got a 6 month full refund from MS, but it was no thanks to ZoS.

well, once I was buying crowns to be ready for a new DLC to buy it then and it somehow messed it up and it got paid twice, so I wrote a support ticket, provided screenshots and after some time, ZOS returned that money back to my bank account.

so they do respond, at least sometimes....

• Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I did, a long time ago, didnt have much issue. I lost 200 gems recently in the crown store because of a glitch and zos told me tough *** pretty much.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had a security hiccup a couple years ago, I had to go at support three times before I got anything restored. They continued to claim that they couldn't restore anything other than the mats and gold, even though I know full well you can prod them hard enough to undo an accidental enchantment/deconstruction of an item. :*

Lazy lazy, firings should occur if they have enough people to do these things. If they truly don't have enough time to properly respond to every support claim, or their higher ups are telling them to ignore us or improperly training them, then well... shame on ZOS? Fire ZOS, that's it!

And yes, they do know from where each login occurs. If they were spending anymore time on a response than the time it took to type it, it should be obvious what was done from what computer.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I had a security hiccup a couple years ago, I had to go at support three times before I got anything restored. They continued to claim that they couldn't restore anything other than the mats and gold, even though I know full well you can prod them hard enough to undo an accidental enchantment/deconstruction of an item. :*

Lazy lazy, firings should occur if they have enough people to do these things. If they truly don't have enough time to properly respond to every support claim, or their higher ups are telling them to ignore us or improperly training them, then well... shame on ZOS? Fire ZOS, that's it!

And yes, they do know from where each login occurs. If they were spending anymore time on a response than the time it took to type it, it should be obvious what was done from what computer.

exactly this!!

they for sure log everything, so also IP addresses from where we log in, all the transfers per mail and from bank to char and from char to banks, so to track something like this should be really easy.

at least if, when they do not have enough people for doing it really fast, if they would at least take a fair approach and tell the victim to wait, they are working on it, and finaly fix it - return everything to the victim and delete everything from the hacker and permaban him - that would show ZOS in a totally different and a very bright and bold and fair light.
    but this is really not good and totally not mature at all.
    Edited by altemriel on December 20, 2017 7:19PM
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Fun-fact: on the account-page of blizzard, you can only see the digital codes you used. Actual hard-copy cdkeys arent stored there. And hate to say it bud, but not using an authenticator (since a few years even on your phone) is the most stupid thing you can do and I hope ESO gets one soon too.
    It wasn't through the Blizzard account that they pilfered the key, it was through the email. When someone hacks your email, they don't alert you to it immediately. They just quietly read your email for years. I finally discovered that it had been hacked over a year previously when I noticed recent accesses from foreign countries and traced it back to the original date someone that wasn't me tried to use it. Since I grabbed the game online from a vendor, the CD key was in the email. I trashed the email immediately but that wasn't soon enough to stop them getting it. Many months of gaming later they used it to nab the account repeatedly and after years of dealing with it, Blizzard finally nipped the account and wouldn't return it. It's only at this point that they disclosed WHY the account kept reverting to gold farmers and I checked my email security to see that lo and behold they had been in my system for over a year. I regularly change my email passwords and use a 14-digit nonsense key as trained to do by corporate. Changing passwords to your email doesn't work if they've linked it to one of their other accounts so I had to remove the phone number and instant messaging they added to the account, they can log in using alternate means just like Facebook. Honestly, if these things were plastered on the front page instead of hidden behind seven clicks of account page options it would have been easier to detect.

Also, authenticators were a brand new technology at the time, I'm older than you think. I'm pretty sure WoW was the first game to even have them. They were still unneeded in the eyes of many because few people had account troubles unless they downloaded a mod or visited a website or something. Hackers weren't that clever back then and hardly anyone had account trouble if they played it safe, so the risk of losing access to your account permanently by losing the authenticator was crazy. Phone authenticators didn't come until Smart phones did. We still used flip phones back then. The concept of lugging around a physical representation of your password that would determine whether you could ever log into the game again was horrifying.
    Edited by LordSemaj on December 20, 2017 7:29PM
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to not get hacked. Use an email address that you don't use for ANYTHING else for game login and a DIFFERENT password than your email account. Most of the times players get "hacked" is because they use the same email address to log into the game as they do for normal email (and probably have the SAME password). With all the data breaches reported in 2017 (Hotmail, Yahoo, Uber, Equifax, etc.) anyone with that info already has the usernames and passwords associated with those accounts. If it happens to be your login, guess what? You just got "hacked".

All my game logins are a private email address and each game has it's own password. For those games that use 2FA, I also use that. I have around 6 digital authenticators installed on my cell phone. Only having a secure password is not enough to secure your account. All it takes is a breach to a company that you also have an account with, and your chances of getting "hacked" goes up. Viruses and Malware are a close second for causes of accounts getting compromised.
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, all good things in hindsight but no one operated this way in the early 2000s. Viruses and Malware were actually the second leading cause of theft after outright stupidity and breaches were completely unheard of. Meanwhile, passwords were deemed safe enough that it would take twenty years for anyone to brute force them. Then the hackers became quicker, more efficient, and even able to target giant companies. Now passwords aren't safe even if you have a 26-digit key written in the full spectrum of UNICODE. Someone is going to find a way in if they want to.

You can't fault medieval castles for not using encrypted pass cards on their doors. It just wasn't done at the time.

We've learned so much through the internet as a community sharing our experiences.
    Edited by LordSemaj on December 20, 2017 8:10PM
  • Resfeber
    Resfeber
    ✭✭✭
    according to this guildie of mine
    This is kind of where you lose me, Alt.

I wouldn't even trust my best friend to admit the truth that he was at fault in a situation like this. I don't doubt that ESO isn't flawless when it comes to security... heck, anything on the internet that isn't in constant password change and substantial security is at some risk... but I also wouldn't trust a guildie, especially one hacked multiple times, to be totally innocent in their protection measures either. After the first time they should've tanked up.

I think the best situation is what everyone's suggesting in future prevention measures. Even if they get frustrated with the losses and dump ESO itself, it's worth exercising with future games from here on out. Pleading as 'a friend of that guy' to the community managers and forum people isn't really going to change what needs to be done by that guy himself...
    Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
    [Jan '14 Beta Tester]
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Resfeber wrote: »
    according to this guildie of mine
    This is kind of where you lose me, Alt.

I wouldn't even trust my best friend to admit the truth that he was at fault in a situation like this. I don't doubt that ESO isn't flawless when it comes to security... heck, anything on the internet that isn't in constant password change and substantial security is at some risk... but I also wouldn't trust a guildie, especially one hacked multiple times, to be totally innocent in their protection measures either. After the first time they should've tanked up.

I think the best situation is what everyone's suggesting in future prevention measures. Even if they get frustrated with the losses and dump ESO itself, it's worth exercising with future games from here on out. Pleading as 'a friend of that guy' to the community managers and forum people isn't really going to change what needs to be done by that guy himself...

well yes, I understand your point. I agree. that everyone should use the protective measures, to secure safety of their passwords and accounts.

but in the same time, ZOS should take a fair and transparent approach and return everything what was stolen and ban the hacker.
    Edited by altemriel on December 20, 2017 8:17PM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is why ZoS needs to add a security key even though its not 100% safe its better than what they have now which is nothing
  • Resfeber
    Resfeber
    ✭✭✭
    but in the same time, ZOS should take a fair and transparent approach and return everything what was stolen and ban the hacker.
    Hm, how transparent though? I'd be kinda pissed at anyone official who jumps on here and then starts shouting my business just because my friends are talking about it and want to know details. (You know who you are. Not that I don't love you, kiddos, but you know I'd cut you <3) Considering the hacker broke Terms of Service they're probably not around anymore... Even so, that doesn't really keep them form coming back if your friend is an easy target. Getting a ban isn't going to do much for someone persistent if they're profiting every time.

All things considered though, I feel for you. I don't play MMOs with a lot of people, so when this has happened to friends it pretty much went from playing every weekend to me playing solo from now on and them moving on to other games, heartbroken over their losses. It's the worst for everyone involved and I don't wish it on anyone.

I'm glad they at least provided some compensation. Not ideal, but I'd also feel bad for the peon who has to go through or remember all xxx items in my bank that I certainly don't.
    Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
    [Jan '14 Beta Tester]
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Best way to not get hacked. Use an email address that you don't use for ANYTHING else for game login and a DIFFERENT password than your email account. Most of the times players get "hacked" is because they use the same email address to log into the game as they do for normal email (and probably have the SAME password). With all the data breaches reported in 2017 (Hotmail, Yahoo, Uber, Equifax, etc.) anyone with that info already has the usernames and passwords associated with those accounts. If it happens to be your login, guess what? You just got "hacked".

All my game logins are a private email address and each game has it's own password. For those games that use 2FA, I also use that. I have around 6 digital authenticators installed on my cell phone. Only having a secure password is not enough to secure your account. All it takes is a breach to a company that you also have an account with, and your chances of getting "hacked" goes up. Viruses and Malware are a close second for causes of accounts getting compromised.

While those are all good points, the most common basis for hacks to occur are generally thought to be shared use of the computer, sharing of account details with friends, housemates and guildmates, and the downloading of mods/addons and other third party software - not to mention the obvious one of visiting dubious websites or downloading "adult" videos from such sites, as well as entering into RMT transactions with criminals.

As for the subject case, neither those who defend the affected account-holder (who is not the OP, remember) nor those who defend ZOS have the slightest idea what happened in this and other similar cases.We are advised that the account-holder suffered multiple hacks to the account, but without knowing the precise circumstances we are in no position to judge either the account-holder for their security measures or ZOS for their alleged response.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

While those are all good points, the most common basis for hacks to occur are generally thought to be shared use of the computer, sharing of account details with friends, housemates and guildmates, and the downloading of mods/addons and other third party software - not to mention the obvious one of visiting dubious websites or downloading "adult" videos from such sites, as well as entering into RMT transactions with criminals.

As for the subject case, neither those who defend the affected account-holder (who is not the OP, remember) nor those who defend ZOS have the slightest idea what happened in this and other similar cases.We are advised that the account-holder suffered multiple hacks to the account, but without knowing the precise circumstances we are in no position to judge either the account-holder for their security measures or ZOS for their alleged response.

I have to agree with you
    Edited by altemriel on December 20, 2017 9:16PM
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Key being "multiple times". ZOS pays their employees for their time. Have you ever had one of these transactions take place quickly? Between the verification and the work, calling it 15 minutes would be lightning fast. If you're costing their workers that much time on a regular basis, you're costing them more than you paid them for the game.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did, a long time ago, didnt have much issue. I lost 200 gems recently in the crown store because of a glitch and zos told me tough *** pretty much.

I saw that thread. You were in the right and it was a bummer to read some of the responses.

One thing I'm not clear on is the amount of gold offered. I have a lot of stuff. If it happend to me and I got full value, it would be extremely frustrating and a huge waste of time, but it would also be a reasonable customer service response. I'd thank them and start buying furniture and mats. Now, if I followed their security recommendations and they offered 20% of what was lost, that would be internet brave customer service and pathetic.

Does anyone know what's actually being offered in cases like this?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WildWilbur wrote: »
    Unlike WoW, ESO has built in account protection requiring a code for logging into a new IP. Unlike WoW, ESO has FAR less players and revenue. It would be nice if they did more, but its on the person hacked to show why exactly their email was able to he accessed for a code sent to them, no?

Actually, no! As i already stated in another thread a few months ago I'm playing from Germany with my desktop PC. When I am on vacation in the Netherlands (1-2 times a year in different flats) I can log in to my account and play with my Notebook without any account-protection-email. So it IS possible to access a account from a different IP. And I doubt that I am the only one.

I think that only logging to eso account on the eso webpage, when you log in from a different IP address, then it sends an e-mail to your e-mail address with a code to verify if it was you. but not if you just log in to the game
    eso.exe has various ways to id you that browsers does not. MAC is is one, production numbers on CPU, hard drive and motherboard is another. You also have other stuff like windows serial number. Eso can also generate an random number on install, this is stored with one way encryption on your computer and in the eso database.
    In short it know its your computer. Now some people use multiple computers, you can also deal with this.

Now logging on to another computer and then immediately starting mailing you gold and expensive stuff to another account, I would do an temporary lock-down even if passing all tests. Now doing the stuff you tend to do would relax stuff.

Now i have no idea of ESO IT staff, have an bad feeling however: the kind of feeling you have then you do an random normal on an alt with junk gear from bank, find that all others has 12K health and, has bow on both bar, dungeon is bloodroot forge and you selected vet by accident :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would doubtless say that this is where it should have been posted originally, given that it's the help forum for account issues. Just because people like to get maximum views for their topics doesn't mean the General Discussion board is the right place for them. You can't blame the mods for doing their job!
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't say how I would feel if my account were hacked.

On that not there are a number of ways to secure your account from hackers.

1. Set up a free email service for game verifications, do not use this email for anything else.
    2. Use a password checker service https://howsecureismypassword.net/ this tells you how secure your password is and how long it would take to brute-force break it.
    3. Use a password management program/service, this secures your password from key-loggers,https://identitysafe.norton.com/.
    4. Create a secure password for each site, game or service you use. This is the most important as if there is a breach and data is hacked from the site the password only works on that site.

When creating a password use as many characters as possible e.g. numbers, letters (uppercase/lowercase), symbols. Try substitutions, so the letter L becomes 1, O becomes 0 (Zero) and E becomes 3.

An example of a secure password would be: 2B1u3*H0m3*3S0 (2Blue*Home*ESO), (This would take 204 million years to crack).

As for verifying her account, does she not have the details of the card use to pay for ESO plus or the original serial number from the game DVD?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am sorry to hear about your friends experience.

Some advice that I provided a former guildie who was hacked. His comment was his password was a good password because it had worked for him for many years in WoW, his email and everything else.

Clearly an extremely bad idea to use the same password for all those things and especially the same password for your email and game. Especially when the email is needed to gain access to the game on a new PC or now location.

It is also a great idea to not use the same PW for extended periods of time. While it is suggested by some to change passwords monthly, at the very least every time one hears on the news of a major security breach.

Being the same person is being hacked multiple times it would seem there is an issue with password management. The second task Zos suggests in cases of suspected hacking.

This only applies to PC. I assume steam has something in place Have no idea how things are managed on consoles.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This only applies to PC. I assume steam has something in place Have no idea how things are managed on consoles.

steam has steamguard. works like a phone authenticator.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The one where you bought the motif on the wrong character, and then accidentally consumed it while trying to shove the item in the bank? Yeah, that stings.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

I have to agree with you

but in the same time, I feel, that ZOS should not suspect everyone like this for fraud and crime and trying to duplicate their items.

They should take a fair approach of trust and transparency and they should return everything what was stolen to the owner and delete it from the account of the hacker!
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to point out that all large companies have hierarchies, meaning those with the ability to alter the game directly are probably different than the ones responding to support tickets. In many circumstances involving support tickets, if you insist on your facts every time you get a response, the agents will eventually bump the ticket up to someone who can do something. I remember this happened for me in GTA:O when I was playing it on PS3. A server glitch caused my account to revert to level 1. It was a known issue but support kept insisting I had been reset due to glitching. I continued to insist that I had earned my XP legitimately and that the glitch happened during some server issues. Months later after replying many times, they eventually injected my account with like 80 levels worth of XP. Because I refused to accept their response, they bumped it up, but it took a very long time. Another example is the support tickets from Uber. Any time you submit an issue, the first two ticket responses are automated and not from a human. You can tell because they ignore every detail in your message. Point is, if it’s worth that much, don’t give up until they block you from responding.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on December 23, 2017 5:29PM
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    By the number of people in the Czech republic who got hacked, my guess is that someone who worked for a popular ISP or networking company intercepted and/or decrpyted your passwords. ZOS may need to improve security in some areas, but I don’t believe the issue is their fault. In fact, they could be working with authorities in your country to see what happened, we just don’t know and usually most MMO’s will not comment about security measures being taken.
  • Roach1990
    Roach1990
    ✭✭
    I again lost my accout just now:D good timing
    I change mail / id / passwords everywhere so how is this possible

Can ZOS do something?

ticket #:171224-001919
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Wrobel @ZOS_BillE
    Edited by Roach1990 on December 24, 2017 6:19PM
  • Kiara
    Kiara
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really glad that altemriel addressed this issue. My account has been hacked and exploited (including botting software) to the point my account was permabanned by devs. After weeks of fighting with Zenimax support they restored my account, but almost everything was gone. I changed passwords and other things immediately. And while I proved to them that my account was hacked (with providing many details like IP etc.) they considered it as "second chance" for my account and I was never cleared of charges. I am very very glad that I got my account back, but I didn't receive any kind of goodwill or something and felt treated like a second category person. They didn't even say if they investigate the case of hackers (I was in one guild made for hacked acccounts I believe since all my guilds were gone, I prpvided support details about this guild, weird mails on my account, different people on my friends list etc.). I am happy above everything else that I can still play the game, but support contact left bad taste in my mouth and I don't know if people who did this were punished and I am still in fear if I will be banned forever for anything right now. The point is that I agree with OP that ZOS should really do something do improve their hacked accounts/restoration politics immediately. I am really sorry for your friend, I know how horrific this situation can be and I hope everything ends well. Also, merry christmas to all of you. :)
    Edited by Kiara on December 24, 2017 6:34PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Roach1990 wrote: »
    I again lost my accout just now:D good timing
    I change mail / id / passwords everywhere so how is this possible

Can ZOS do something?

ticket #:171224-001919
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Wrobel @ZOS_BillE
    Alyiah wrote: »
    I'm really glad that altemriel addressed this issue. My account has been hacked and exploited (including botting software) to the point my account was permabanned by devs. After weeks of fighting with Zenimax support they restored my account, but almost everything was gone. I changed passwords and other things immediately. And while I proved to them that my account was hacked (with providing many details like IP etc.) they considered it as "second chance" for my account and I was never cleared of charges. I am very very glad that I got my account back, but I didn't receive any kind of goodwill or something and felt treated like a second category person. They didn't even say if they investigate the case of hackers (I was in one guild made for hacked acccounts I believe since all my guilds were gone, I prpvided support details about this guild, weird mails on my account, different people on my friends list etc.). I am happy above everything else that I can still play the game, but support contact left bad taste in my mouth and I don't know if people who did this were punished and I am still in fear if I will be banned forever for anything right now. The point is that I agree with OP that ZOS should really do something do improve their hacked accounts/restoration politics immediately. I am really sorry for your friend, I know how horrific this situation can be and I hope everything ends well. Also, merry christmas to all of you. :)

@ZOS_GinaBruno could you please look at this and comment?
  • Roach1990
    Roach1990
    ✭✭
    if you want see how zos help players who pay them from day 1. you can go reapers march bank and meet this person who steal my account online
    I have more screenshots where he go to one person a trade items with him...

[img][/img]tKCo3Bj.jpg

Edited by Roach1990 on December 24, 2017 8:47PM