The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Viper is trash...but is it really?

VirtualElizabeth
VirtualElizabeth
✭✭✭✭
So I was reading over another thread which kept referencing the viper set as trash. When I look at the set, it really doesn't seem all that bad. Sure the current darling of the streamers is weapon damage over crit damage (which I am sure there is some explanation I clueless about when it comes to crit vs weap damage. But is Viper really trash now and why?
@ElizabethInAustin
NA/PC
Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viper is awesome. But not because of the crit
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works just fine. I never relied on it.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, it's still very powerful.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    its kinda like a 2k/sec dot that's always up. applies pressure, just cant crit anymore. not sure if it can be purged or not but I have thought of running it on a dk Dot pvp build but never put it to fruition
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Valderis
    Valderis
    ✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/373744/max-poison-build

Build thread talking about Viper.

Ask yourself "where is my damage coming from?"

For example, Stamina builds in PVE gain the majority of their damage from Endless Hail, Heavy Attack, Caltrops (typical parses have these 3 at the top of their dps breakdown).

Penetration, Crit Rating (%), Weapon Damage, Stamina regen, Stamina Resource (not necessarily in that order) matter to Stamina Builds.

Consider Mephala's 2-set, Viper and Sheer Venom. Or Morang Tong for example.

I appreciate when people go against the meta. Creativity thrives there..
    Jone and Jode are in a dance. Who leads, you ask? There, lies the wisdom of my ancestors... - Ra'fiiq
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Garbage set
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments. I was talking to someone over the weekend who was putting together a PVP build around Viper and I mentioned it was not the darling of the masses it was once. The only reason I thought it that this was the case (besides the nerf) was the set's emphasis on crit.

I am starting to wonder if "nerfs" are like a freakin' Scarlet letter vs the actual set now no longer being viable. ZOS changes things and folks run away screaming LOL.

@Valderis You mentioned PVE, would you say Viper is more in line with PVE builds then PVP now?
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on December 13, 2017 8:53PM
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want burst or sustained dps?
    Even for a stamDk Its not really the best thing to use tho. Its okay ish. Not really amazing. I got encountered a few viper users after the nerf but they all ended up lying dead under my boots. Boots of fury. Heheh.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Garbage set

Why?
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Garbage set

Why?

Dot is weak as ***. So many better sets about now.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On a stam DK it can work cuz more poison dot=more pressure but for general use it's pretty bad
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still strong, but not AS strong as before. It has fallen out of meta, because you can no longer crutch Viper+Selene and stuff like that, for instant burst damage. 90% of the playerbase have no taste or appreciation for DoTs, and so here we are.

The only nerfs Viper have suffered, are Crit removal (along with all the rest) and a conversion from instant front-loaded DPS, to a DoT. That is enough for many to switch to more burst-focused sets, which in current meta means raw WD sets like Legion, Fury etc.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people in the community underestimate dots and rather go with burst , it’s one of the main reasons the set was dropped.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people in the community underestimate dots and rather go with burst , it’s one of the main reasons the set was dropped.

I love DOT builds like with my MagTemplar. But I get how people love the insta kill scenario of burst builds.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was reading over another thread which kept referencing the viper set as trash. When I look at the set, it really doesn't seem all that bad. Sure the current darling of the streamers is weapon damage over crit damage (which I am sure there is some explanation I clueless about when it comes to crit vs weap damage. But is Viper really trash now and why?

So Viper is trash compared to how it used to be in PVP.

Viper was one of the overperforming proc sets back when it used to do all its damage at once. A 6k instant poison proc? Yes, please! It was all the rage in PVP and especially Battlegrounds, so much so that ZOS took a look at it and...

Now Viper does the same damage, 6K, but over 4 second. This means that its still perfectly effective for PVE content, but the damage can be mitigated much easier in PVP with Purge or heals.

In PVP, its all about that burst damage, so Viper has largely fallen out of favor, hence it being called "trash". Its still fine in PVE, though there are better DPS sets for medium armor. In PVP, most people will go for sets that offer great damage outright unless they specifically want to build to make the poison DOTs effective.
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    still awesome in non-cp pvp
    very nerfed for cp-pvp

not suitable for pve.
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was reading over another thread which kept referencing the viper set as trash.
    That's what you get for listening to the min/max crowd.

You do realize that every time something drops from BiS to 0.01% less good than the next BiS it will be deemed "useless" and "trash".

In reality, BiS is about fractions of a percent in very controlled environments, usually aimed at group content where all group and self buffs have to be applied to support the BiS numbers.
    dry.gif
  • Valderis
    Valderis
    ✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments. I was talking to someone over the weekend who was putting together a PVP build around Viper and I mentioned it was not the darling of the masses it was once. The only reason I thought it that this was the case (besides the nerf) was the set's emphasis on crit.

I am starting to wonder if "nerfs" are like a freakin' Scarlet letter vs the actual set now no longer being viable. ZOS changes things and folks run away screaming LOL.

@Valderis You mentioned PVE, would you say Viper is more in line with PVE builds then PVP now?

The set gives Crit x2 and Stam x1 bonuses, and the 5 bonus is a DOT, so that would be in line with PvE. No reason why you couldn't use it in PvP either. Consider the Infector and Widowmaker sets as well.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

I mentioned PVE parses because every Stamina build is getting about 40-50% from Weapon (heavy) attacks/Abilities and the rest come from their Class, Sets, etc.

Jone and Jode are in a dance. Who leads, you ask? There, lies the wisdom of my ancestors... - Ra'fiiq
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valderis wrote: »

The set gives Crit x2 and Stam x1 bonuses, and the 5 bonus is a DOT, so that would be in line with PvE. No reason why you couldn't use it in PvP either. Consider the Infector and Widowmaker sets as well.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

I mentioned PVE parses because every Stamina build is getting about 40-50% from Weapon (heavy) attacks/Abilities and the rest come from their Class, Sets, etc.

Viper is fine, I use it on my sDK in PvP sometimes. Infector and widowmaker can miss completely so I wouldn't recommend them. Assassins Guile is where it's at if your looking to relive the proc set glory days.
    Edited by Toast_STS on December 14, 2017 12:59AM
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Viper is like 8600 tool tip damage on my warden. Plus with a two hand axe and double dot poisons it puts alot of pressure on people when you are continually spamming sub assault.
  • lazerlaz
    lazerlaz
    ✭✭✭
    Skoria, assassins guile, viper, dual axes, double dot poisons, rendering slashes, blade cloak.

You're welcome.

I main that build on one of my Nightblades and love it since day one of CWC.

Back bar 2h obvi.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Still strong, but not AS strong as before. It has fallen out of meta, because you can no longer crutch Viper+Selene and stuff like that, for instant burst damage. 90% of the playerbase have no taste or appreciation for DoTs, and so here we are.

The only nerfs Viper have suffered, are Crit removal (along with all the rest) and a conversion from instant front-loaded DPS, to a DoT. That is enough for many to switch to more burst-focused sets, which in current meta means raw WD sets like Legion, Fury etc.

These burst focused sets you talk about also buff your DoT damage. And your healing.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    lazerlaz wrote: »
    Skoria, assassins guile, viper, dual axes, double dot poisons, rendering slashes, blade cloak.

You're welcome.

I main that build on one of my Nightblades and love it since day one of CWC.

Back bar 2h obvi.

dual axes suck because u refresh the existing bleed to often.

if u use this go rather axe mainhand and sword or dagger off hand
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sheer venom > Viper imo. Mostly because of the amazing 2, 3 and 4 pc bonusses. The dot pressure is actually quite nice when you proc it together with poison inject and double dot poison. Viper is about the same dmg output, but requires you to be in melee range. It's a matter of playstyle really.

Only reason I would run viper over sheer venom is because sheer venom is STILL BUGGED!! and pulls you out of cloak when you proc it on volatile armor at range.
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Sheer venom > Viper imo. Mostly because of the amazing 2, 3 and 4 pc bonusses. The dot pressure is actually quite nice when you proc it together with poison inject and double dot poison. Viper is about the same dmg output, but requires you to be in melee range. It's a matter of playstyle really.

Only reason I would run viper over sheer venom is because sheer venom is STILL BUGGED!! and pulls you out of cloak when you proc it on volatile armor at range.

not true. sherr Venom proc only on execute in 6 sec and viper from any ability from start every 4 sec
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • RajinPVP
    RajinPVP
    ✭✭✭
    Only reason i would not run this pve is the fact that it would not do any crits.. so whatever tooltip its says in there is what you get which for me is pretty low... same reason on pvp and its not instant damage no longer. So you are right ! It got nerfed to the ground.. from usefull to useless coz you know... zos.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morvane wrote: »

not true. sherr Venom proc only on execute in 6 sec and viper from any ability from start every 4 sec
    Sheer venom procs from poison injections dot ticks. I.e. very easy to use. Trust me I have used this set a lot.
    Edited by Koensol on December 14, 2017 12:00PM
  • Tigeracer
    Tigeracer
    ✭✭✭✭

Sheer venom procs from poison injections dot ticks. I.e. very easy to use. Trust me I have used this set a lot.

Just to clarify, sheer venom procs off the dot from poison injection, so if you use PI > bar swap, you won’t get the sheer venom proc. This is of course if you only have sheer venom on your bow bar.
    You can however, bow bar another set and use sheer venom 2h or dw and do the same thing.

Sheer venom > viper for me too. But I don’t think viper is useless.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

thats quite interesting. can u backbar that set and it will proc on barswap from poison arrow?
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Tigeracer
    Tigeracer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read my post, directly above yours.