The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Newbie healer looking for advice

Invoca
Invoca
✭✭✭
Just started healing dungeons on my high elf templar. So far I've only healed BC I, Spindle I, FG I and DC I. The healer at the moment is level 21 (high elf templar).

Now specifically what I'd like to know is how to deal with trickier situations before I have to do harder dungeons. I'll outline some examples below of what I've realised I'm ill-equipped for through experience.

Example 1 - Spindle I.
Had one group with a DPS that kept running ahead of everyone. At first I thought little of it as he was a CP level. Then I noticed how fast his health bar dropped. First time I noticed this the rest of us were still fighting and he was through the corridor to the next area. He died when I realised I couldn't be in both places at once. I ressed him when we were done. This happened a few times. Now, last boss. His health drops drastically whenever he gets hit. At one point I manage to check his health which is 13k. Is this normal? During the last fight I spent most of my time making sure that I had a clear line of sight and went for Healing Springs on him whenever boss dropped AoE whereas Blood Altar + Mutagen sufficed for the others most of the time.

Example 2 - DC I.
Pretty nice, smooth run. One death. Occurred on a boss fairly early on, at the time I was next to said DPS and saw them Standing In Stupid. Now I know some people think doing this is fine on normals. But I'm not a good healer and did not manage to outheal it despite using BoL when it looked dire. How do you outheal this? Do you outheal it?

Also I'm on PS4 so usually people use quick chat at start/end, rare to get time to actually type anything in between fights.

I know this is really long so
tl;dr noob healer looks for practical advice on what to actually do in dungeon pugs.

I'm really, really grateful for any and all advice if anyone feels like giving some.
  • Ciovala
    Ciovala
    ✭✭✭
    You can only heal stupid so much... The 13k guy should probably have eaten some health food. I’ve grouped with DPS that had like 12k and never died once but I think they were very talented players and good at avoiding red. Those who don’t avoid red and also never block are going to die all the time and get one shot, too. I find that BoL is the only heal for the red circle idiots but if you cast it too many times you’ll probably go out of mana. In a normal dungeon you can probably still spam it enough to get through a fight if you are using channeled focus and have some mana potions as well as good mana Regen, though. Still, using it at all tends to indicate stupidity or someone is totally unfamiliar with a dungeon.

To be fair, most of the time you can get away with rapid regeneration/mutagen and healing springs, with just the occasional BoL due to someone’s mistake. Sounds like you’re not doing too poor, just got in some unlucky groups plus also you don’t yet have all your passives unlocked, etc. :)

Edit: On a train so no time to link to a guide or anything, but heavy attacks with Resto staff (once you have all the passives unlocked) are also decent for topping up some health in the group as well as mana Regen. I saw a post on Deltia’s twitter feed today with a Templar healing guide, too, might be worth tracking down.
    Edited by Ciovala on December 12, 2017 4:48PM
    Looking for a mature and helpful social guild - play PvE, PvP, and like crafting.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. If somebody runs to a fight when their healer is not with them, don't worry about it. That's their problem, not yours.

2. The skill choices you outlined are not ideal.
    • Blood Altar is rarely worth the trouble.
    • You're a templar. Breath of Life is available as an emergency heal. Don't be afraid/ashamed to use it for that purpose. (Edit: Oh wait. You said you do use it that way. Good for you.)
    • I think Healing Ward is underrated for emergency situations. Even Ward Ally (the other morph) is good. Unlock it when you can.

3. Healing Springs is a closer call. But I tend not to use it much in 4-person groups, and hence often don't bother equipping it. And that's even on characters who can stabilize their patients first with Ward.

4. Standing in Stupid can't always be outhealed.

5. Make sure you have plenty of magicka regeneration or cost reduction. Admittedly, that's harder to pull off at lower levels. But if you're not wearing a three-piece set of magicka jewelry, try to fix that, e.g. by grinding a few dolmens in the same zone. Alik'r Desert is the obvious choice, both because dolmen grinding is easy there and because the magicka set has a 2-piece bonus for recovery.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on December 12, 2017 4:56PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invoca wrote: »
    Had one group with a DPS that kept running ahead of everyone.

Let them die a few times, they might start to listen.

If they do not already know this, I tell my groups that I can only heal those who are in front of me, not behind me, not to the side and not off on the opposite side of the fight from everyone else. If they want to get healed, they have to stack, so it's me at the back, then the DPSs and then the Tank on the boss. The tank is the only one who should be on the other side of the boss from me, and that is because they are supposed to keep the boss turned away from the DPS. It is my job to position so that I can cover the stack.

As a healer, you have two jobs, keeping the healing flow going as needed, and buffing the group as you can. I set my bar up thusly:

1. Siphon Skill
    2. Regeneration Skill
    3. Healing Springs
    4. Combat Prayer
    5. Ward

If your a Templar, you will have some other skills to add in. If your not a Templar, then have your back bar be a DPS bar for those times when you don't need to heal. However I caution you that doing DPS and ignoring healing is bad, so never get caught on the DPS bar with little to no magic while your buddies are dying.

I apply the siphon initially, slap a couple of Regeneration so the group has better regen, then in tight situations as the health drops, spam Healing Springs. I apply the Prayer and Ward skills every 6 or 8 seconds respectively as those are the group buffs. When I am not healing, I am spamming fully charged heavy attacks to recover magic. The key to the rotation is to apply the skills as you need to so the healing is adequate and the buffs are up, but not run out of magic. I try to never get below 30% or so, as the boss my drop some serious damage during one phase or another and I have to spam HS.

Oh, and see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxS7eT_ky4

Edited by Nestor on December 12, 2017 5:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can't heal stupid. I mean you can to a point but c'mon now...if someone runs ahead of the group(assuming group isn't looting every single container or something) that's their problem. A lot of high cp people can solo normal dungeons so they will do this(did this a lot during the recent event when everyone was running 5+ random dungeons a day so had no patience for anything). You can't stop them either way so if they successfully solo the dungeon for you, be glad for a fast complete I suppose and if they die all the time, let them die, you're the group healer, not their personal babysitter.

Personally I will run ahead and pull things a lot unless specifically asked to wait, but only if I know I can handle it...or don't mind dying :p

Far as general tips go, it sounds like you're doing pretty well :) I'd say that general healing priorities are
    healing->buffing->dpsing. Buffing your team members is a really big thing in ESO. Good teams may require close to 0 healing in many instances but they will want ALL THE BUFFS. On the contrary, some of the random groups may be so bad you won't even have time to apply a single buff due to having to spam heals non stop.
    Some of the buffs people find useful:
    Elemental Drain(destro staff pre-last skill) - provides Minor Magickasteal that's immensely helpful with magicka management; technically you can use templar Radiant Aura for that too but I prefer Drain for much clearer visuals, being free and not arguing anything
    Combat Prayer - pure damage buff
    Aggressive Warhorn - Alliance War Assault ultimate, a nice damage boost; one often used by (good) tanks too
    Wall of Lightning - destro staff Wall of Elements skill, you'll want this with a lightning staff because it provides off balance debuff to enemies, which in turn can greatly boost the damage. It also is a nice aoe ;)
    Blazing spear(or the other morph. Been a while since I've healed on my templar but you probably know this skill :D ) - templar skill that restores a nice chunk of resources upon activating its synergy. It's common to feed these to tanks, and now that it can restore magicka as well, your dps might like some too

There're also some nice support sets, but this won't matter much til you hit cp 160 so just go with Seducer or whatever magicka/mag regen/spelldamage sets for now. Long standing BiS for healing is Spellpower Cure set from White-Gold Tower dungeon, it gives your groupmates a spell/weapon damage buff when you heal them at full health. There're some alternatives to pair with it, such as Worm set from Vaults of Madness dungeon - helps with magicka management.

Oh and far as standing in red goes...it does depend on red. You can outheal a lot of it, so often people won't bother stepping out because they know it won't hurt(even without a healer I personally can shield/selfheal through a lot). However, some things you can't survive so easily. Also, standard health benchmark for vet dungeons is in the 16-18k range. Normals are generally fine with 12k but if you are finding yourself dying there, time to eat some food and/or stop standing in red :p If someone is dying from standing in red despite your best attempts, that's on them, not you.

Good luck and have fun!
    Edited by Magdalina on December 13, 2017 7:32AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The DPS with the 13k health probably forgot to replenish their food buff. If you encounter a similar situation, you can ask them, but if they don’t do anything about it, and still opt to run ahead and die, then there's not much you can do, and you shouldn’t feel bad about it either. It took me a long time to stop running after DDs who engage mobs on their own, ahead of everyone else, or choose to run with <15k health, and to stop blaming myself when they die, because contrary to what people often say, it’s not always the healer’s fault :smiley: The last boss in Spindle has an attack that can be a one-shot if not dodged in normal (and definitely a one-shot in vet); you can prepare for it by always keeping up combat prayer which adds minor ward/resolve, but then it’s the DD’s responsibility to keep an eye, and dodge that attack.

2. On my healer, I outheal standing in red if it’s a meele DPS, and the AoE is not a high damage/one shot case (like the final bosses in Direforst Keep, Tempest Island, etc.), or if it’s a DPS who is experienced, has shields, and they know the mobs will die fast enough to pose a risk, so there is no point of them moving, as they will lose damage. It could even be a case that the DPS has run out of stamina and can’t move out of it quickly. So sometimes being in red is unavoidable, and that puts stress on the healer, therefore I make sure to have HoTs always up, and if I know there’s going to be a lot of incoming damage, I throw Nova or Barrier to mitigate it. Anticipatory healing is the best healing, especially in PUGs, where you are not familiar with the other group members.

One thing to keep in mind (which is something I’m also still working on with my healer), is to reflect on a fight, especially if there were a lot of deaths, and see if you could have done something differently to prevent them. If not, then don’t stress too much about it, because every run is a team effort, and it’s not always down to one person to make it or break it :smile:
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just started healing dungeons on my high elf templar. So far I've only healed BC I, Spindle I, FG I and DC I. The healer at the moment is level 21 (high elf templar).

Now specifically what I'd like to know is how to deal with trickier situations before I have to do harder dungeons. I'll outline some examples below of what I've realised I'm ill-equipped for through experience.

Example 1 - Spindle I.
    Had one group with a DPS that kept running ahead of everyone. At first I thought little of it as he was a CP level. Then I noticed how fast his health bar dropped. First time I noticed this the rest of us were still fighting and he was through the corridor to the next area. He died when I realised I couldn't be in both places at once. I ressed him when we were done. This happened a few times. Now, last boss. His health drops drastically whenever he gets hit. At one point I manage to check his health which is 13k. Is this normal? During the last fight I spent most of my time making sure that I had a clear line of sight and went for Healing Springs on him whenever boss dropped AoE whereas Blood Altar + Mutagen sufficed for the others most of the time.

Example 2 - DC I.
    Pretty nice, smooth run. One death. Occurred on a boss fairly early on, at the time I was next to said DPS and saw them Standing In Stupid. Now I know some people think doing this is fine on normals. But I'm not a good healer and did not manage to outheal it despite using BoL when it looked dire. How do you outheal this? Do you outheal it?

Also I'm on PS4 so usually people use quick chat at start/end, rare to get time to actually type anything in between fights.

I know this is really long so
    tl;dr noob healer looks for practical advice on what to actually do in dungeon pugs.

I'm really, really grateful for any and all advice if anyone feels like giving some.

wow... I still get angry about this stuff... If people run away from the healer, then F@#&^% them. STOP FOOTRACING THROUGH DUNGEONS PEOPLE!!!! I luv it when the stam characters foot race through the dungeon, then find they have no stam left to fight with. #stupid.
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks so much guys for taking the time to give me so much and such good advice, I really appreciate it.

@Ciovala Thanks, good to know. It was only my second time healing and it's so easy to fall into that "everything is the healers fault" mindset. Thanks for the tip, I shall track down that guide.

@FrancisCrawford Thank you for the help with the skills. I'll drop Blood Altar when I log on tonight. Unlocked Steadfast Ward recently so I'll make sure I remember to actually make use of it when needed.

Did kind of drop the ball on the jewellry so I'll run Alik'r for a bit, get 3pc together. I use 5pc Seducer atm to help a bit with the magicka regen and cost as well.

@Nestor Haha yeah, I should probably do that.

Thank you for the help with the positioning, it's something I haven't really thought much about but it'll probably make life much easier.

Interesting to see the bar and rotation setup, I'll have to take a look at mine. Try and improve it a bit.

And that video was excellent, thank you for that!

@Magdalina Thank you, haha yeah no one had quest or were looting anything other than mobs hence my confusion. Guess they had a lot of confidence and chars to get through.

Thank you for the rundown on buffs, it's probably my weakest point so far. I kind of forget to unlock them as they become available, think I only have combat prayer so far.

@Jaimeh Thanks for the advice. I'll work on the anticipatory healing, should improve some situations. Reflecting on fights is probably a good practice, I'll try to remember doing that on all my dungeon running chars from now on, thanks for the tip. :smile:

@QuebraRegra Yeah, I'm rapidly losing patience with it. Had it happen tonight when I tried tanking, except it was the healer racing ahead and starting all fights. With a bow and maul by the looks of it. Sigh.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to healing in Tamriel!
    Edited by tinythinker on December 15, 2017 1:41AM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@QuebraRegra Yeah, I'm rapidly losing patience with it. Had it happen tonight when I tried tanking, except it was the healer racing ahead and starting all fights. With a bow and maul by the looks of it. Sigh.

THAT'S NO HEALER!!!!
    215hp5.jpg

Edited by QuebraRegra on December 15, 2017 6:34PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nestor

:D I laughed so hard. Also why don't we have healing memes for eso?

@Magdalina xD have you tried earthgore. I think we can for about 3 secs.

1) 15k is lowest heal you can have with food. ...well there some hybrids that use stamina and magicka food, but they are too rare to be considered. To avoid this issue simply care some food of all types that scale to user.

2) Hmm... yeah later in game we do tend to heal people in bad stuff when we shouldn't. But has you progress healing is quite overpowered in game, so you will be fine. But I would place ritual down or healing springs.... even mutagen so you will have less of an issue. You don't want to be spaming breath of life. It's quite a costly skill.
    Edited by Tasear on December 17, 2017 1:21AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Also why don't we have healing memes for eso?

This gave me the image of a healer with a vengeance, letting the group's health to yo-yo on purpose on the brink of death to teach them a lesson :lol:
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »

Also why don't we have healing memes for eso?

This gave me the image of a healer with a vengeance, letting the group's health to yo-yo on purpose on the brink of death to teach them a lesson :lol:

*Nods heads, it's also part of healers job to teach. :D
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Had one group with a DPS that kept running ahead of everyone.

If they do not already know this, I tell my groups that I can only heal those who are in front of me, not behind me, not to the side and not off on the opposite side of the fight from everyone else. If they want to get healed, they have to stack, so it's me at the back, then the DPSs and then the Tank on the boss. The tank is the only one who should be on the other side of the boss from me, and that is because they are supposed to keep the boss turned away from the DPS. It is my job to position so that I can cover the stack.

As a healer, you have two jobs, keeping the healing flow going as needed, and buffing the group as you can. I set my bar up thusly:

1. Siphon Skill
    2. Regeneration Skill
    3. Healing Springs
    4. Combat Prayer
    5. Ward

If your a Templar, you will have some other skills to add in. If your not a Templar, then have your back bar be a DPS bar for those times when you don't need to heal. However I caution you that doing DPS and ignoring healing is bad, so never get caught on the DPS bar with little to no magic while your buddies are dying.

I apply the siphon initially, slap a couple of Regeneration so the group has better regen, then in tight situations as the health drops, spam Healing Springs. I apply the Prayer and Ward skills every 6 or 8 seconds respectively as those are the group buffs. When I am not healing, I am spamming fully charged heavy attacks to recover magic. The key to the rotation is to apply the skills as you need to so the healing is adequate and the buffs are up, but not run out of magic. I try to never get below 30% or so, as the boss my drop some serious damage during one phase or another and I have to spam HS.

Oh, and see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxS7eT_ky4

A bit of topic but considering the video that was linked I would also highly recommend watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ivtJD0t9M4
  • YamiKuruku
    YamiKuruku
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to lay down your HoTs first if you can, when you notice that some people continue to stay in stupid or ignore mechanics and get one-shot try to get reviving barriere (but you need to do PvP for that, gives a big shield and heals when the shield is up but is an ultimate).
    It's really helpful and saved my and my teammates ass before many times!
    Also the good thing about being a templar is that you can spam breath of life when ones healthbar drops too fast.

When you notice that your team doesnt need healing that much go and buff them and their dps, help a bit with dps and be useful when healing is not needed. I see many healers (when i play as a tank or stuff) that just stand there and do nothing.

And don't forget: when someone dies it's not always your fault. You can't heal stupid people.
    If they don't want to listen or cooperate just let them die, it's not your fault. I sometimes also don't heal people that stand too far away from the group because seriously i am not their babysitter if they think they don't need my heals and buffs please, stand so far away that no one can reach you, hero.

Actually everyone here already gave very good tipps, but run a few dungeons and you will see yourself and learn what is the best for you! Pugs are the perfect training for healing because you can have bad luck and get a bad group where healing is then the most important thing ever :dizzy:
    -{ PC EU }-
    CP 810+
    x Khazadaar > lvl50 EP | Khajiit magblade | Main&Master Crafter | Bloodletter
    x Mazayee-Kajthux > lvl 50 EP | Argonian Warden Healer | Godslayer
    x Margaux the Undying > lvl50 DC | Breton Templar Healer | Tick-Tock Tormentor
    x Fendryn Olms >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer Necro Healer | Gryphon Heart
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
    x Haj Xal >lvl50 EP | Argonian Healblade | Immortal Redeemer
    x Caessia>lvl 50EP | Imperial Warden Tank | Bringer of Light
    x Andre Valere >lvl 50 AD | Breton SorcTank | Gryphon Heart
    x S'zhan'ir >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit StamDen| Alpha Predator
    x Ri'zaad Sajhan >lvl 50 EP | Khajiit DKTank | extinguisher of flames
    x Mi'ra-Do>lvl 50EP | Khajiit magPlar | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    x Minwe Elsinor>lvl 50EP | Altmer MagDen | Dovahkriid
    x Velen Dres > lvl50 EP | Dunmer Magcro | Voice of Reason
    x Perathea > lvl50 AD | Argonian MagDK
    x Myvth >lvl 50 EP | Dunmer StamDK | Plague of Peryite
    x Nephaal Telvanni > lvl50 EP | dunmer MagSorc | Voice of Reason
    x Ko'haana > lvl50 AD | Khajiit Magsorc
    x Zasha gra-Lashk > lvl50 EP | Orc Stamcro
    xCassius Pavo > lvl50 EP | Imperial Necrotank | Bringer of Light
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    @tinythinker Thank you!

@QuebraRegra So, so many DPS pugs as well haha.

@Tasear Ah, figure they hadn't used food then. I'll have a look at some traders then for decent recipes.

Alright thanks, that's why I usually avoid using BoL unless I think it's the only thing that'll save them. Shall try to be more proactive with the HoTs.

@paulsimonps Haha I'm liking those videos.

@YamiKuruku Thank you. Usually I drop Blockade of Lightning and do some heavy attacking at the moment if there's not much heals needed. I don't like standing around doing nothing really.

Yeah whether I'm healing or tanking it seems as soon as someone dies I take it personally.
    Excellent, I might have to try that one every now and then myself. Seems some groups think the idea is to stand in different corners of the room.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    You can't heal stupid. I mean you can to a point but c'mon now...if someone runs ahead of the group(assuming group isn't looting every single container or something) that's their problem.!

Even if you could - dying is a learning experience, and healing stupid is a good way to prolong it.

Blood altar (or something similar that makes a demarcation) is a good way to indicate where the healer will be - so If everyone runs off like idiots - well they were informed.

Healers shouldn't rez most of the time. If someone dies from running ahead like an idiot, they can use a soul gem to get back.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most if not all relevant tips have already been given. A few cents from me who had his share of trying to "heal stupid". ;)

If they run ahead and die, let them. Their fault, not yours. If they have 13k health, they forgot buff food or have a really bad build, but they are high level, since you're scaled up considerably in dungeons. You get around 20k easily at low level due to that. If they are high level and still rush ahead without healer, and then die, it's 100% their own problem.

The tips here, especially Nestor's, are good and very relevant for the more difficult / DLC dungeons. In non-DLC normal dungeons, it mostly would suffice to use or spam Healing Springs where the group is fighting, and cast or spam the occasional Breath of Life when someone gets lots of heat. As an experienced DD/healer, you can easily do that while mainly doing damage. ;)

But it's certainly a good idea to start learning and doing it "the proper way" early on, like concentrating on healing and support. In vet or DLC dungeons you'll need to do that anyway. Except you're in a end game player group with selfheals, but those groups don't need a healer at all. :)

As for @QuebraRegra's great comment picture, yeah, I know how that feels. I'm currently making use of the double XP event to level up a new magicka templar DD. I normally don't do this, but this time I'm listing as DD and healer for getting the skill points in the early dungeons. It's much faster that way, and as a templar you can fulfill the healer role easily while also doing damage.

I'm using a lightning and inferno staff. For support, I put down Elemental Blockade and use shock damage glyphs for off balance/concussed, Elemental Drain and shards. For heals, I use Breath of Life. Should things get tricky, I switch the inferno staff for a restoration staff and add in Healing Springs and Mutagen. No need for ritual or combat prayer in normal dungeons.

Yesterday, I PUGged Darkshade Caverns 1 at level 28 that way. The other players were a level 35 DD, a level 30 tank and a CP320 DD. The two DDs must have been absolute casual players, because I ended up doing 60-70% of the group's DPS in trash fights, and around 50% on bosses, while BoL-healing the tank and CP320 in between. I mean, come on. How can a CP320 player do so little damage that a level 28 player, half-specced as healer, and in full blue training gear (5xSeducer, 3xMagnus and random jewelry) gets to those figures. Doesn't make me feel almost not bad at all for listing as healer. ;)

Edited by Loc2262 on December 18, 2017 9:26AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls I'm gonna keep that in mind. Does feel a bit pointless using my soul gems because someone else decided to run ahead.

@Loc2262 I might try and swap in a bit more damage in the lowbie dungeons as I get more settled in the healing. I do find it seems I'm a bit useless in trash pulls at the moment with just Blockade for damage.

It's pretty astonishing what you find sometimes in the dungeon finder. You have to wonder what they're doing, just light attacking in full white gear all the way through? I think you fully qualified to be both DD and Healer there at least. :smiley:

Funnily enough I ran Darkshade Caverns I today with my little tank and the ~300ish CP healer decided to pull every fight. They died to a mini boss. I understood then why the previous tank left/was kicked.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Invoca: Oh, don't think you're useless if you do damage as a healer! On the contrary, the less you need to heal, the more support and damage you can do. :) Two of your main support skills (Elemental Blockade and attacking with lightning staff with shock damage glyph) are primarily meant to proc concussed and off-balance, to trigger the Exploiter passive for the DDs. But nice side effect is that those skills do considerable damage on trash pulls. :) As a healer, you want high Max Magicka and Spell Damage, since that governs your healing strength. So, even in a good group the healer can reach 20% group DPS that way. On boss fights, the healer usually gets around 10%.

And I totally agree with your dungeon finder comment. My new magplar DD is at champion level now, and I did the first undaunted pledge yesterday (vFG2). I was the only player who knew the mechanics. I won't go into details, but I did 65+% group DPS (even though I'm still missing a few skills, Inner Light, Magicka Controller, Undaunted Mettle and such), and the tank didn't even know to move out of the black circles at the end boss, and also pull the boss out of the circles by moving far enough away from her, so the melee DDs can reach her. It was the opposite of a smooth run.

I mean, in normal dungeons, of course no problem if people need explanation of the mechanics. At some point they have to learn, we all do/did. But I really don't understand why people do vet dungeons without knowing the mechanics and being properly prepared. Good grief, learn the stuff on normal first!

Edited by Loc2262 on December 20, 2017 10:43AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    @Loc2262. Ah I wasn't sure about why shock damage and that spell damage was useful, thanks. :) Seems I have more studying up to do!

Oh dear, seems like the real Witches holiday event should have been pugging vet dungeons. The real prize would have been the horror stories accumulated! I'll never understand why people don't just do normals until they know mechanics inside out and then read up on the vets before trying them. I've never done vets and I don't expect I will unless I feel confident I can do my bit.

Slightly off topic but I do wonder if it's to do with getting the invite to the Undaunted Enclave at 45. If you miss picking up Undaunted quest before then that might be the first dungeon some do and then possibly not noticing you get defaulted into vet after 50. I'd do far worse at healing if it wasn't for asking help here.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262. Ah I wasn't sure about why shock damage and that spell damage was useful, thanks. :) Seems I have more studying up to do!

Oh dear, seems like the real Witches holiday event should have been pugging vet dungeons. The real prize would have been the horror stories accumulated! I'll never understand why people don't just do normals until they know mechanics inside out and then read up on the vets before trying them. I've never done vets and I don't expect I will unless I feel confident I can do my bit.

Slightly off topic but I do wonder if it's to do with getting the invite to the Undaunted Enclave at 45. If you miss picking up Undaunted quest before then that might be the first dungeon some do and then possibly not noticing you get defaulted into vet after 50. I'd do far worse at healing if it wasn't for asking help here.

Unfortunately you don't and cannot learn most mechanics on normal. Some of them are simply missing, others are nerfed so much they don't matter(e.g. an attack that's one-shot on vet will barely bulge your health on normal so you won't bother to actually avoid it/learn how to avoid it), plus just one good-ish high cp dps is enough to skip every single one of the dungeon's mechanics because everything will melt before they finish their greeting speech.

I do wish normal dungeons were harder, or that there was a step between them and current vets perhaps, but currently the only way to learn most vet dungeons mechanics is to do vet dungeons(or watch vids/ask people).
    Edited by Magdalina on December 21, 2017 10:20PM
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do wish normal dungeons were harder, or that there was a step between them and current vets perhaps, but currently the only way to learn most vet dungeons mechanics is to do vet dungeons(or watch vids/ask people).

ZOS can't make the normal dungeons harder, that'd (understandably) put off too many casual players. But I completely agree with introducing a step between normal and vet! And allow players to do vet only after they completed the other steps. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina Ah I see, I figured there were some extra mechanics in vets from having accidentally read up on vet instead of normals occasionally. Pity it's a bit too easy with the normals though; I had hoped the mechanics you can notice in full low level groups in normals would give some indication of when to watch out in vets.

In that case it really would be nice if there was some sort of transition between the two. :confounded:
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina Ah I see, I figured there were some extra mechanics in vets from having accidentally read up on vet instead of normals occasionally. Pity it's a bit too easy with the normals though; I had hoped the mechanics you can notice in full low level groups in normals would give some indication of when to watch out in vets.

In that case it really would be nice if there was some sort of transition between the two. :confounded:

Well if you do manage to get into a full 4 man of lowbies who are very new, very inexperienced and therefore very bad at their role(like Idk 5k group dps total, agro loss, etc), then you might actually get to see some mechanics in normal dungeons ;) But generally it doesn't happen that often. Either way, you sound like someone who should be just fine, vets really aren't (that) hard if you're willing to pay attention to things ^^
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vets really aren't (that) hard if you're willing to pay attention to things ^^

I can't totally agree with this but good explanations help
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Invoca
    Invoca
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina Ah, it's a tiny fraction of times that's happened I think but it definitely has. Painful CoA runs spring to mind. :lol:
    Thank you, that's reassuring to hear!

When the time comes I'll see if maybe guildies will be a better bet than pugs for vets.