The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

downtime

Phelaen
Phelaen
✭✭✭
is it still like 4 hours or something silly? still no change to the length of the DT after all this time?

can we make lowering the DT a focus please. its way too long if it hasnt changed yet.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    downtime can last between 2 to 6 hours

depents how lucky we are...
    Edited by Zordrage on December 11, 2017 9:09AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be an hour but it's usually closer to 6. Really turns people off to the game.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    It should be an hour but it's usually closer to 6. Really turns people off to the game.

Does it?

I don't mind. I like updates, maint. etc. It helps the game. I wouldn't mind if it only took an hour or so but that's not likely, especially given patch days.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • maniac4maniac
    maniac4maniac
    ✭✭✭
    There is literally no need for maintenance >1 hour at all, looking at most of other multiplayer games.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ‘‘Tis a patch so settle in <3
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait is this a patch not a normal maintenance then ???
    notes ? something ? give me a link or i hurt a kitten !!!!!
    Edited by Zordrage on December 11, 2017 9:18AM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is literally no need for maintenance >1 hour at all, looking at most of other multiplayer games.

Really? Let's see...SWTOR is usually 3-4 hours. Don't know about WoW anymore but it used to be anything from an hour out to 4 or 5 hours. EQ similar, as was EQ2. I don't remember on LOTRO but it was just long enough for me to grumble (that is usually 2+ hours).

Lot goes on during maint and even more so with patching. There are 168 hours in a week...so weekly downtime of 2-6 hours is just not that heinous.

I say this even though it's right in the middle of my prime playing time too. Just my luck. :D

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zordrage wrote: »

zG9yLD4.jpg
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Was on eso live. Fix of nb shadow image, etc.
  • maniac4maniac
    maniac4maniac
    ✭✭✭

Really?

Yes, really, MMO has no huge difference with other Multiplayer games that have patches each 2nd day and they all go background without ~5 hours of unplayable space with MORE changes and bug fixes with such small 2day patches than ESO has with weekly/monthly.

Take an example from Blizzard (also has several MMOs alongside D3, OW, etc, all updates in background), Valve, etc.

There is nothing that would make servers 'must go off' for 5 hours at all, especially in ESO updates. If patch is ready - it's ready long before the maintenance time. And your "experience" with SWTOR has nothing to do with how Multiplayers games are and should be made in 2017/18.
    Edited by maniac4maniac on December 11, 2017 9:28AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? Let's see...SWTOR is usually 3-4 hours. Don't know about WoW anymore but it used to be anything from an hour out to 4 or 5 hours. EQ similar, as was EQ2. I don't remember on LOTRO but it was just long enough for me to grumble (that is usually 2+ hours).

Lot goes on during maint and even more so with patching. There are 168 hours in a week...so weekly downtime of 2-6 hours is just not that heinous.

I say this even though it's right in the middle of my prime playing time too. Just my luck. :D

This argument doesn't even begin to make sense because all 168 of those hours are not available to you as playtime. For one, you have to sleep. People also have various other things going on in their lives such as work, family, or maybe something else.

So phrasing it that way really doesn't even begin to make sense. So you really have to weigh it as to how much it cuts into your actual playtime.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

zG9yLD4.jpg

desk_flip1-1024x925.png
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Really?

Yes, really, MMO has no huge difference with other Multiplayer games that have patches each 2nd day and they all go background without ~5 hours of unplayable space.

Take an example from Blizzard (also has several MMOs alongside OW, etc, all updates in background), Valve, etc.

There is nothing that would make servers 'must go off' for 5 hours at all, especially in ESO updates.

My experience dictates otherwise. But hey, if you want to think we're especially put upon here, knock yourself out. :)

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody plays at this time unless you work night shifts and get on at this time (which is probably less than 1% of the player base). It's *** 4:00 AM. Even if you're in Europe, this is right in the middle of the work day.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This argument doesn't even begin to make sense because all 168 of those hours are not available to you as playtime. For one, you have to sleep. People also have various other things going on in their lives such as work, family, or maybe something else.

So phrasing it that way really doesn't even begin to make sense. So you really have to weigh it as to how much it cuts into your actual playtime.

Takes away one day for me out of the week. Unless I get up amazingly early which I try to avoid. Point being that they do it when their metrics likely show the least amount of traffic combined with being able to get folk to babysit the process.

We won't die. Honest. People have been roaring about this since 1999 and what needs done must be done. Someone will suffer for it but we'd ALL suffer if it wasn't done and done right (yeah, yeah I know, sometimes that "done right" bit doesn't happen ;) )

• Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody plays at this time unless you work night shifts and get on at this time (which is probably less than 1% of the player base). It's *** 4:00 AM. Even if you're in Europe, this is right in the middle of the work day.

Cyro, is still pop capped at this time sometimes on Fri and Sat.

Also, some people stay up late or just don't necessarily have to get up in the morning. I guess they don't matter to you, though.

Sometimes for me it affects me, and sometimes maybe not, but the amount of time it takes rubs me and many others the wrong way. It needs to be decreased to about an hour.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what ? lol

its 10:30 over here the maintenance started at 10 am and im from europe......
    what part of europe is 4 am lol

i literally woke up and cant play... those people that work in night shifts or Afternoon are screwed for the day....
    Edited by Zordrage on December 11, 2017 9:30AM
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody plays at this time unless you work night shifts and get on at this time (which is probably less than 1% of the player base). It's *** 4:00 AM. Even if you're in Europe, this is right in the middle of the work day.[/quote]

Yeah none of us from Oceania play now.....lol....4am EST is 5-7pm Australia........but you are right we are nobodies as far as ZOS
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what ? lol

its 10:30 over here the maintenance started at 10 am and im from europe......
    what part of europe is 4 am lol

i literally woke up and cant play... those people that work in night shifts or Afternoon are screwed for the day....

It's 4:00 AM in NA east coast. It's the middle of the work day in Europe.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also, some people stay up late or just don't necessarily have to get up in the morning. I guess they don't matter to you, though.

Sometimes for me it affects me, and sometimes maybe not, but the amount of time it takes rubs me and many others the wrong way. It needs to be decreased to about an hour.

It cannot be decreased to an hour. There are too many jobs to be run as I understand it. And this from someone who effectively loses a day per week due to it.

Someday, someone is going to craft an MMO where ALL this (all of it, patches, maint etc.) can be done "on the fly". In my dreams. :)

• Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, really, MMO has no huge difference with other Multiplayer games that have patches each 2nd day and they all go background without ~5 hours of unplayable space.

Pardon? You don't think there's even just a little bit of a difference between a "Massively multiplayer online RPG" and a basic FPS with like, 20 tiny little maps where all you do is run around shooting each other?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    anythin new or just a regular maintenance?
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, it says "patch maintenance" but I've not looked for patch notes. Might do that...

• Phelaen
    Phelaen
    ✭✭✭
    there is a difference between a patch and maintenance
    i think its fair that patches take a few hours
    but maintenance should be routine and not take more then an hour max.
  • Insandros
    Insandros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phelaen wrote: »
    is it still like 4 hours or something silly? still no change to the length of the DT after all this time?

can we make lowering the DT a focus please. its way too long if it hasnt changed yet.

i don'T care if their maintenance is 1 hour, 2 hours or even 5 hours, i don't even *** care, i don'T stand in front of my PC crying cuz the game is down... what i want is, to be worth something... every maintenance or so we get problems after, that is what i care, i care that since 2 maintenances away i'm getting lots of crashes after using wayshrines (testing out with addons off but still happened), i care that since last maitenance i'm having lots of lags for some reason, never did i ever had lags in trials, but beat a record in nHoF 2 nights ago, average 1.5k latency up to 5k ltos of times, as if i was in australia with those poor guys having bag lags :(.... i want mainteance to be worth something... they can take the time they won't i don't freaking care, plenty of other things to be done while the game is down, but what i care is, when i'm in it, i want it to work.And if one day maintenance is bad for you and all depends on this game, change your habbits, jsut do your laundry and grocery, house cleaning, homework, feed your pet you haven't done while playign the day all those other days out of the maintenance on that day and voilà you'll be fine. :)
    Edited by Insandros on December 11, 2017 9:45AM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phelaen wrote: »
    there is a difference between a patch and maintenance
    i think its fair that patches take a few hours
    but maintenance should be routine and not take more then an hour max.

Aye, there is. The latter usually involves database mgmt. which, depending upon the s'ware used for the dB can take quite awhile.

No point in fussing about it. I'm pretty certain that they aren't hitting the maint. button and randomly setting some time just to mess with us.

• Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it says "patch maintenance" but I've not looked for patch notes. Might do that...

there is no info about it i tried to search... there is nothing....
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, Im getting hyped now. Probably just a few bug fixes , I doubt they would implement a big patch without testing it on PTS first.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on December 11, 2017 9:49AM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

there is no info about it i tried to search... there is nothing....

Same here. I s'pose it's possible they hit the wrong macro when posting the alert. I would take "patch maint." to mean, there will be a patch along with maint.

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But it isn't friday or saturday right now. So what is the point?

Like it was said, it's middle of the night in US, it's middle of the working day in EU. If you are from a timezone where it's peak hours right now, then bad luck.

Ask yourself three things:

1) What would happen when they shift maintenance to hours more comfortable for AUS/ Oceanic people? How would that affect the other two big zones (US, EU)?

2) We both don't know what exactly goes on there. It might not be possible to reduce downtime. Adding more people might doesn't have any effect on length at all. My old co-worker used to use a metaphor like "one woman is pregnant for nine month, but making two women pregnant doesn't mean it will only take 4,5 month". You've got the idea. However, IF they could reduce it to one hour it is possible that this would also increase frequency of patches. So what shall it be? One day with 4h downtime or several days with a downtime, probably at peak hours for some folks? (point 1).

3) Is it really that of a problem they take the game offline for a day a weak to keep it maintenanced? Instead of bickering here you could do something else. Read a book, clean your house, shop groceries, sleep, go to work, yadda yadda. You know you should take a breather when gaming shedule dictates your life and emotional wellbeing.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on December 11, 2017 9:50AM