The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New player beat VMA, its possible!

rteezy
rteezy
✭✭✭
Alright!

After reading all the threads about people annoyed because VMA is hard/unforgiving, DONT give up!!!

i created a sorc last weekend, power leveled from 1-250 cp..ran some vets for gear got cp to 270ish and decided to go for VMA

i read all the guides, watched a couple videos (i know i know..sorcs are supose to be one of the easiest ones to run vma, still it is hard nonetheless for a new player), picked the cheesiest build (necro with pets shield stacking and HA spam)

Sunday i did a normal run to test it, finished it with 2 deaths, and then took me 7 HOURS to reach stage 9 on veteran!..and then i think i tried it for another 3...without even reaching 3rd phase of last boss.

monday i learned that i could have "saved" my vma the hard way..had to do it all over again..but this time aroudn i was at stage 9 after 2 hours..btu didnt manage any progress on it.

Tuesday and today i jsut spamed last boss over and over..i spent about 350 soul gems rezzing and recharging weapon...And today i finally did it!!!!!!!

Here are some tips from my excruciating...very...VEEEERY...long experience..

1-use the guides and the build sugestions as a starting point BUT adapt both the strategy and build to YOUR playstyle! Most of the guides are of people that already have maelstrom weapons and ALOT of vmas completed, i CANT pull off they re dps (mine was around 15k..at best 23k during aoe bits) and i still dont knwo hwo to weave and animation cancel to help with dps and use of defensive cds. For example, alot of the sorc guides told me to use a resto staff for shield stacking, but that woudl require me to bar swap fast to stack both shields, i tried it a few times and FAILED, it is MUCH easier for me, for now, to JSUT use the sorc shield on my primary bar jsut so i never let it drop.

2- DONT try to beat a phase or stage straight away! What i mean is, if you just focus on the end goal you will most likely ignore or not understand the reason WHY you died, and jsut keep failing.I learned that EVERY stage and every phase within it has little "objectives/goals" that u have to go through for you to garantee your sucess. I noticed that alot of it is based on mechanics rather then on straighout DPS. You might take longer..or repeat a process a few extra times, but if u do it right you WILL suceeed. For example : on the spider boss i knew that i HAD to learn the pattern of spawns, i focused on "killing that little spider as fast as i could and memorizing where it would spawn" , i would die to all the other 100 things i cant ignore, but i would LEARN that one, and step by step i woudl learn every little sequence i had to go through to beat that one stage. (it takes longer..and it is frustrating at times, BUT it is KEY for you to learn the fight and be able to beat it!

3- there is some RNG at times, its out fo your control and you will die, dont sweat it.I guess it takes a very expereinced player with good reflexes to deal with the rng factor with ease.

4-USE the sigils!!ALL of them EVERY round, they make it MUCH easier! and its a NEEEDED boost to learn the fights on the first few runs. BUT dont use them mindlessly!! liek eveyrhing in this damn place, there is an optimal TIME to use them, FIND YOURS! For example, on stage 9 last boss, i figrued out that if i took the haste sigil before going to the upper ring that the speed boost woudl help me NOT miss a wall AND help me get the 3 crystals in 1 go with only 3 walls ( the damage would NOT allow me to survive a 4th wall without losing all magika)

5-MEMORIZE SPANWS!! some fights are MUCH easier if you know WHERE the adds will spawn, sPECIALLY the ones u NEED to kill first/fast

6-IF you die, dont be afraid of trying somethign diferent, even if its NOT on a guide!! Dont do it only for the sake of it, try to put some thought into it, and if it sounds rigth to you then it MIGHT BE YOUR WAY of doing it.

7- i dont think u need super good gear and high cp/stats (obviously they help alot)..BUT u do need a set of gear that fits your playstyle, A BUILD THAT WILL GIVE YOU ALOT OF UTILITY AND DEFENSIVE ABILITIES and LESS focused on dps ( i heavy attacked my way through..literally drop aoe 1...aoe 2...and spam heavy attack), keep it SIMPLE. MAke sure u do get a way to sustain your resources AND i bet that 17/18k HP woudl be a minimum...i started with 14k..then reglyphed and changed some thigns aorund and got to 17k..and i would still get one shot if i ever got caught without my shield up.

8- USE the "saving" option. Take the daily quest to make sure you can log out and comeback next day and start at the same stage you were in!

9-invest into purple food and some good potions!! dont go all out on the most expensive potions unless u can craft them or afford them, but it does help alot.

10-it HELPS to change your build/abilities on diferent maps..not NEEDED but for some stages a sligth change on your build will make it way easier to learn it and beat it.

FINALLY, dont give up...it sucks...its time consuming and rage inducing btu dont give up.DONT keep doing it out of rage without thinking or learning anything, if you reach that spot then sTOP! take a break, go eat, go smoke, go sleep..come abck next day, but DONT jsu tkeep doing it over and over if your mind is NOT open to analysing your gameplay anymore.TAKE every little victory, even if its one little add that u killed in the midle of a stage that u finaly learned where it spawns and managed to kill it on time as a success!

GOOD LUCK!!...now that i learned all stages i hope it gets easier and faster because i really want a maelstrom inferno staff :dizzy:

Side note (some people might get mad hehe)..but my very first drop was the maelstrom bow sharpened...not really what i want or neeed but as far as i understand it is one of the msot wanted weps there...well my stamblade is lvl 30 and was going to get powerleveled to 50 sometime this week :D

• SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grz
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why did you use soul gems to rez? Running back from the wayshrine takes what, 10 seconds?
    shades.gif
  • AtraisMachina2
    Dont tell me how to play my game
    XB1-NA AD
    Bosmer Stamina Templar-DD/Tank
    Altmer Magika Sorcerer-DD
    Khajit Stamina Templar-DD
    Redguard Stamina Templar-DD
    Breton Templar-Healer
    Altmer Magika Nightblade-DD
    700+ CP
    Affiliations:
    The Late Shift-GM
    Cooldown
    Abstraqt

• RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rteezy wrote: »
    Alright!

After reading all the threads about people annoyed because VMA is hard/unforgiving, DONT give up!!!

i created a sorc last weekend, power leveled from 1-250 cp..ran some vets for gear got cp to 270ish and decided to go for VMA

i read all the guides, watched a couple videos (i know i know..sorcs are supose to be one of the easiest ones to run vma, still it is hard nonetheless for a new player), picked the cheesiest build (necro with pets shield stacking and HA spam)

Sunday i did a normal run to test it, finished it with 2 deaths, and then took me 7 HOURS to reach stage 9 on veteran!..and then i think i tried it for another 3...without even reaching 3rd phase of last boss.

monday i learned that i could have "saved" my vma the hard way..had to do it all over again..but this time aroudn i was at stage 9 after 2 hours..btu didnt manage any progress on it.

Tuesday and today i jsut spamed last boss over and over..i spent about 350 soul gems rezzing and recharging weapon...And today i finally did it!!!!!!!

1-use the guides and the build sugestions as a starting point BUT adapt both the strategy and build to YOUR playstyle! Most of the guides are of people that already have maelstrom weapons and ALOT of vmas completed, i CANT pull off they re dps (mine was around 15k..at best 23k during aoe bits) and i still dont knwo hwo to weave and animation cancel to help with dps and use of defensive cds. For example, alot of the sorc guides told me to use a resto staff for shield stacking, but that woudl require me to bar swap fast to stack both shields, i tried it a few times and FAILED, it is MUCH easier for me, for now, to JSUT use the sorc shield on my primary bar jsut so i never let it drop.

2- DONT try to beat a phase or stage straight away! What i mean is, if you just focus on the end goal you will most likely ignore or not understand the reason WHY you died, and jsut keep failing.I learned that EVERY stage and every phase within it has little "objectives/goals" that u have to go through for you to garantee your sucess. I noticed that alot of it is based on mechanics rather then on straighout DPS. You might take longer..or repeat a process a few extra times, but if u do it right you WILL suceeed. For example : on the spider boss i knew that i HAD to learn the pattern of spawns, i focused on "killing that little spider as fast as i could and memorizing where it would spawn" , i would die to all the other 100 things i cant ignore, but i would LEARN that one, and step by step i woudl learn every little sequence i had to go through to beat that one stage. (it takes longer..and it is frustrating at times, BUT it is KEY for you to learn the fight and be able to beat it!

3- there is some RNG at times, its out fo your control and you will die, dont sweat it.I guess it takes a very expereinced player with good reflexes to deal with the rng factor with ease.

4-USE the sigils!!ALL of them EVERY round, they make it MUCH easier! and its a NEEEDED boost to learn the fights on the first few runs. BUT dont use them mindlessly!! liek eveyrhing in this damn place, there is an optimal TIME to use them, FIND YOURS! For example, on stage 9 last boss, i figrued out that if i took the haste sigil before going to the upper ring that the speed boost woudl help me NOT miss a wall AND help me get the 3 crystals in 1 go with only 3 walls ( the damage would NOT allow me to survive a 4th wall without losing all magika)

5-MEMORIZE SPANWS!! some fights are MUCH easier if you know WHERE the adds will spawn, sPECIALLY the ones u NEED to kill first/fast

6-IF you die, dont be afraid of trying somethign diferent, even if its NOT on a guide!! Dont do it only for the sake of it, try to put some thought into it, and if it sounds rigth to you then it MIGHT BE YOUR WAY of doing it.

7- i dont think u need super good gear and high cp/stats (obviously they help alot)..BUT u do need a set of gear that fits your playstyle, A BUILD THAT WILL GIVE YOU ALOT OF UTILITY AND DEFENSIVE ABILITIES and LESS focused on dps ( i heavy attacked my way through..literally drop aoe 1...aoe 2...and spam heavy attack), keep it SIMPLE. MAke sure u do get a way to sustain your resources AND i bet that 17/18k HP woudl be a minimum...i started with 14k..then reglyphed and changed some thigns aorund and got to 17k..and i would still get one shot if i ever got caught without my shield up.

8- USE the "saving" option. Take the daily quest to make sure you can log out and comeback next day and start at the same stage you were in!

9-invest into purple food and some good potions!! dont go all out on the most expensive potions unless u can craft them or afford them, but it does help alot.

10-it HELPS to change your build/abilities on diferent maps..not NEEDED but for some stages a sligth change on your build will make it way easier to learn it and beat it.

FINALLY, dont give up...it sucks...its time consuming and rage inducing btu dont give up.DONT keep doing it out of rage without thinking or learning anything, if you reach that spot then sTOP! take a break, go eat, go smoke, go sleep..come abck next day, but DONT jsu tkeep doing it over and over if your mind is NOT open to analysing your gameplay anymore.TAKE every little victory, even if its one little add that u killed in the midle of a stage that u finaly learned where it spawns and managed to kill it on time as a success!

GOOD LUCK!!...now that i learned all stages i hope it gets easier and faster because i really want a maelstrom inferno staff :dizzy:

Side note (some people might get mad hehe)..but my very first drop was the maelstrom bow sharpened...not really what i want or neeed but as far as i understand it is one of the msot wanted weps there...well my stamblade is lvl 30 and was going to get powerleveled to 50 sometime this week :D
    The thing is: you are not a new player. The moment you look up for guides, builds, giving your char a decent setup to run a content, that's no new player anymore.
    New players didn't "read all the guides" around and are wondering what the hell penetration is because ZOS think it's a great idea to explain nothing about basic things like that, that's not even showing in the character tab and we need an addon, new players are the ones making improbable hybrid builds because it seem quite reasonable to put a bit of points in all stats, new players ignore what the hell mitigation is, not to mention direct damage.

You did great, that's for sure, but new players is another thing.

There are players at much higher cp than you who never bothered to look for builds and guides because they are not focused on combat, they enjoy other aspects of the game (can be trading, questing or exploring) but since we are speaking of combat those players could logically be defined newer than a low cp like you who did "read all the guides" and run with a solid build.

So I say congrats because your CPs are still low, but there is no new player here.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats !
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    congratz - cp250 is an impressive point to complete vMA , irrespective of class and experience
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »
    Alright!

The thing is: you are not a new player. The moment you look up for guides, builds, giving your char a decent setup to run a content, that's no new player anymore.
    New players didn't "read all the guides" around and are wondering what the hell penetration is because ZOS think it's a great idea to explain nothing about basic things like that, that's not even showing in the character tab and we need an addon, new players are the ones making improbable hybrid builds because it seem quite reasonable to put a bit of points in all stats, new players ignore what the hell mitigation is, not to mention direct damage.

There are players at much higher cp than you who never bothered to look for builds and guides because they are not focused on combat, they enjoy other aspects of the game (can be trading, questing or exploring) but since we are speaking of combat those players could logically be defined newer than a low cp like you who did "read all the guides" and run with a solid build.

So I say congrats because your CPs are still low, but there is no new player here.

So new player = oblivious player who does not look up guides?

Let me rephrase. If I would play this game for a week or two, grind myself up and look up guides to set up a proper build, that would still make me a new player regardless of knowledge.
    Edited by Dymence on December 7, 2017 2:26AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beating it at CP 250 is an accomplishment and show of skill, nice work.

If you're good at the game, you may want to look into PvP, which is considered by a lot of people to be endgame.

I've seen a few flawless conquerors trying to get their feet wet recently, they fared OK.
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're a fast learner. 7 hours to reach stage 9 on your first try on vet is damn good even for a sorc.
  • Swen_von_Walhallion
    well in this case i am never new player bc its 1st think what i do when enter new game, learn about mechanics bulds rotation etc. :D

AND cg to vMA rteezy, it took me 2 weakend beat last round with my stamplar at 600 CP, but on other side mag sorc is proly most easy class for beat vMA :)

Adraria Argentum Draco - imperial Stamplar
    Bevdyen Tus Ntxhuav - Orc Stamplar
    Celestun Ira Dei- Imperial Tankplar
    Halldis Rautt Höfuð- Nord Tankplar
    Misawa Yoshike - Breton Healplar
    Lae'ozhael - Dunmer Magplar
  • LeagueTroll
    LeagueTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sub 300 is always impressive, most ppl do in the 400s (that’s 1tam/home stead patch) dunno about now.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gz mate!
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »
    Alright!

New player as in new to Maelstrom Arena.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Then what? Stop reading because NB with insane burst? Stop reading because heavy attack spamming DK? Stopped reading because templar and the spammable that helps get through pretty much anything if you're not stupid? Let's disregard all magicka variants, as shields are OP in general!

Completing vMA at sub 300CP IS a challenge despite of the class. Sure, that big shields make it easier, sure that pets might take some aggro out of you, it's still NOT easy the first time, regardless of class. I can upload stamina run (not flawless, though) at 162-165CP (natural experience gain during run). Does it mean it's easy? No. It means I did the vMA a few hundred times on most classes and I simply can get around the low level on my alt accounts.

If you think about it for a while, once you get some experience, vMA becomes easy on any class. Is it hard for you on any class of your choice? Has it been the very first time you've tried?

Great work, OP!
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 8, 2017 6:05PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! vMA is all about practice and familiarity. It doesn't matter if you have 250 CP or 690 CP, you gotta "pay your dues". But once you've done that, then you can beat it at 250 CP or at 690 CP. I recently did vMA at around 200 CP on a new account. It's really rough at that low CP level, but still easier than the first time I cleared it on my main account.
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Why don't you first post a screenshot of you doing vMA on a sorc (or any class that you think is "easy") at 250 CP, and then you can make all the inane tasteless comments you want.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 8, 2017 6:05PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch