Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How does the guy in this video cast so fast?

Vahrokh
Vahrokh
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Hello,

I'd like to play like the person in this video (need to do PvE only):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvVakEdrE6k

But when I try, some of my animations last at least twice as long.
I am casting a light attack (LA), then about an instant later, liquid lightning / wall of storms / curse.
Then, "2 instants" later, I light attack again.

I thought this should be enough to cancel casting and basically shorten everything and force it to fit within the 0,8s or so internal global cooldown.

Howerver, it's not enough, everything gets just "appended" or queued (like a shield), it does not interrupt what's being cast. Result: fast LA then looooong cast animation and DPS won't go above 20k.

Am I missing something?

Is LA - long cast - LA wrong?
I've seen some videos with people block casting, but I thought this would be for PvP.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling. Something I cant do with my *** connection and Im a bit ***
    Edited by Banana on November 27, 2017 12:16AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been able to master animation canceling to that level.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's hard to see - but look at the ping..... under 100 !!

Edit: this is also a master of the rotation...... someome who's fingers have muscle memory.
    Edited by Imza on November 27, 2017 12:10AM
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But does it work for you? I mean, if you press a new spell / ability, does it interrupt the previous one? To me it seems only happening if I swap the abilities hot bar.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

But does it work for you? I mean, if you press a new spell / ability, does it interrupt the previous one? To me it seems only happening if I swap the abilities hot bar.

Not as well as I remember it working.

I am notcing that it could be a second before some skills fire off, and I am not sure if it is because the cancel did not work, or whether my 90ms latency isn't really 90ms.
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭

You animation cancel with light attacks or blocking, not other spells
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dude has very clean light weaving and he is block cancelling a lot of animations in order to shorten the back end of the skill casts.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    Dude has very clean light weaving and he is block cancelling a lot of animations in order to shorten the back end of the skill casts.

Maybe u saw something I didn’t but I didn’t see any block casting at all just weapon swap ACing
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How do you cancel with light attacks, since it has less priority than the other spells?
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moreover, I have a question nobody seems able to answer to.

I have found out - searching in a lot of videos and forum posts - that:
    • Ilambris gives about 1.2-2k DPS (depends on enchants).
    • vMA staff gives about 2-3K DPS

Nobody has a clear figure about weaving DPS improvement?

Some say +10%, some say it's +20% some say it doubles DPS.

That's some wild guessing!
    In theory, double DPS looks way too much. However, times and again, I have read videos replies calculating that the set + weapon DPS should yield 22-26k per se. However the guys in the various videos show 35-40k parses, which really seem to be in line with the "double DPS" theory.

This leads to an issue: raid leaders see those 35-40k DPS videos and actually demand it's the standard, not the exception in the hands of few low latency - ultra-skilled guys.

Thus, just copying the specs and gear is not enough to perform decently. I have ALL the "golded" Ilambris / Infallible Aether / Moondancer / Burning Spellwave / Julianos / Necropotence these guys show in their videos, however they do 35-40k while the gear "per se" only does 22-26k.

Now, if the game had a tutorial about how to perform what's needed to close the 22k -> 40k gap, it'd be perfectly fine.

But no. Many don't have 60ms latency and there's no ZoS tutorial.

There are gamers videos, but they show their execution so fast it's impossible to really see HOW they do it. It's not enough to just mash light attack fast or to mash LA -> other spell -> LA fast.

Something else has to be done, something that videos don't show
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Start by clicking your mouse each time you fire a spell. Then adjust your

How do you cancel with light attacks, since it has less priority than the other spells?

You fire your light attack first. I know, you'd expect it to be the other way around, but nope.
    Start by clicking your light attack when you cast a spell, then adjust your timing till you get the hang of it and find the sweet spot. You have to hit it just before you hit your spell.
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    much much practice and lag-less internet connection
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That player is just doing the usual light attack weaving for their rotation. In fact (from what I could tell) they could’ve actually had a bit higher, likely 40K+ DPS, but they didn’t have a perfect rotation and missed out on some opportunities to weave in light attacks.

The best way to get an idea for the speed of animation cancelling/light attack weaving in a rotation is to click your Force Pulse button as fast as possible - that is the rate which you should be casting all skills during a rotation. Invetween each skill you need to fit in a light attack but without slowing down your Force Pulses.
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭

In theory, double DPS looks way too much. However, times and again, I have read videos replies calculating that the set + weapon DPS should yield 22-26k per se. However the guys in the various videos show 35-40k parses, which really seem to be in line with the "double DPS" theory.

This leads to an issue: raid leaders see those 35-40k DPS videos and actually demand it's the standard, not the exception in the hands of few low latency - ultra-skilled guys.

Thus, just copying the specs and gear is not enough to perform decently. I have ALL the "golded" Ilambris / Infallible Aether / Moondancer / Burning Spellwave / Julianos / Necropotence these guys show in their videos, however they do 35-40k while the gear "per se" only does 22-26k.

Now, if the game had a tutorial about how to perform what's needed to close the 22k -> 40k gap, it'd be perfectly fine.

There are gamers videos, but they show their execution so fast it's impossible to really see HOW they do it. It's not enough to just mash light attack fast or to mash LA -> other spell -> LA fast.

Raid leads want a bis dps like how a manager at store wants a high producing employee. Getting high dps takes alot of practice but it's achievable, if you youtube how to animation cancel in eso there are plenty of guides. Having good latency helps marginally as I know plenty of ppl that get 50k+ on ranged dps in raid with 250 - 300 ping.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You fire your light attack first. I know, you'd expect it to be the other way around, but nope.
    Start by clicking your light attack when you cast a spell, then adjust your timing till you get the hang of it and find the sweet spot. You have to hit it just before you hit your spell.

+
    Vaoh wrote: »
    That player is just doing the usual light attack weaving for their rotation. In fact (from what I could tell) they could’ve actually had a bit higher, likely 40K+ DPS, but they didn’t have a perfect rotation and missed out on some opportunities to weave in light attacks.

The best way to get an idea for the speed of animation cancelling/light attack weaving in a rotation is to click your Force Pulse button as fast as possible - that is the rate which you should be casting all skills during a rotation. Invetween each skill you need to fit in a light attack but without slowing down your Force Pulses.

I am already doing that LA + "other" ability + LA again.
    This only works for Force Pulse and other "true instants", that is abilities with very quick animation.
    If I do LA + Liquid Lightning, Wall Of elements (and others) + LA, the second LA does NOT cancel the long animations. It seems it "queues", like a shield does if you cast it during heavy attack.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play on pc just make a macro
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Icky wrote: »

This is exactly the kind of answer I wish I never get. I hate macroers, and knowing trial leaders could pick someone not for skills but for using a macro yielding higher DPS makes me feel very sad.
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    the skills with long animations are easiest canceled by bar swap. arrange your bar configs to make this doable. you will notice a big difference.

it may also help if you look at each skill as a combo. LA + skill, LA + diff skill, LA + another skill, etc, then fit it all together.

i set up bars to where i cancel every skill with a barswap. it works for me. LA + LL barswap, LA + blockade barswap, LA + pet barswap, LA + prey barswap, etc
    Edited by Saint314Louis1985 on November 27, 2017 4:18PM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is exactly the kind of answer I wish I never get. I hate macroers, and knowing trial leaders could pick someone not for skills but for using a macro yielding higher DPS makes me feel very sad.

LMAO there's no macroing necessary to achieve what you saw in the video. All it takes is a little practice. Don't listen to people who are telling you to bar swap every skill or animation-cancel literally everything. The impact of animation cancelling tends to be wildly overestimated by the sub-30k DPS crowd, largely because they're more willing to believe that others outpace them through some mysterious process instead of through something as mundane as more practice. Most of the skills that player is using in the video you posted are not being animation-cancelled, as anyone can see simply by watching it.

In general, you only want to animation cancel three things:
    - one skill on your front bar (the last skill you cast before bar-swapping in your rotation)
    - one skill on your back bar (the last skill you cast before bar-swapping in your rotation)
    - light attacks

You only want to cancel skills through bar-swapping -- never block cancelling, as that doesn't actually speed up your rotation. (Block cancelling is only useful in PVP, because even though it doesn't circumvent the global cooldown, it can make certain skills land more quickly.) You cancel light attacking simply by practicing the proper timing of pressing skill buttons after clicking for your light attack (basically, just activate a skill instantly after clicking to light attack, without waiting). This is just a matter of developing the proper muscle memory, and took me about two days to figure out.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    noted
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every single ability has a key moment where it's prime to AC

Example:. Warden's Dive, you Light Attack when your character's arm is fully extended (same with jabs on Templar)

What I'm seeing is AC done correctly
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every single ability has a key moment where it's prime to AC

Example:. Warden's Dive, you Light Attack when your character's arm is fully extended (same with jabs on Templar)

What I'm seeing is AC done correctly

Yeah some abilities are different. Jabs with templar you want LA right on the last hit then jab again. Some instants you can just light attack weave. Other "instants" that have a tail end animation like BOL or extendended ritual; you want LA>Skill>Block/weapon swap>LA>Skill
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Animation cancelling is one of the things that turns me off from ESO, the fact that they consider it a normal part of game play, even though its latency based and not something attainable by everyone.

Game companies should be looking at ways to minimize latency interaction in combat, not promote it.

EDIT: He should try this on the clockwork target dummy quest reward.
    Edited by Raideen on November 27, 2017 8:54PM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Raid leads want a bis dps like how a manager at store wants a high producing employee. Getting high dps takes alot of practice but it's achievable, if you youtube how to animation cancel in eso there are plenty of guides. Having good latency helps marginally as I know plenty of ppl that get 50k+ on ranged dps in raid with 250 - 300 ping.

Pics or it didn't happen.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

casparian wrote: »

LMAO there's no macroing necessary to achieve what you saw in the video. All it takes is a little practice. Don't listen to people who are telling you to bar swap every skill or animation-cancel literally everything. The impact of animation cancelling tends to be wildly overestimated by the sub-30k DPS crowd, largely because they're more willing to believe that others outpace them through some mysterious process instead of through something as mundane as more practice. Most of the skills that player is using in the video you posted are not being animation-cancelled, as anyone can see simply by watching it.

- one skill on your front bar (the last skill you cast before bar-swapping in your rotation)
    - one skill on your back bar (the last skill you cast before bar-swapping in your rotation)
    - light attacks

You only want to cancel skills through bar-swapping -- never block cancelling, as that doesn't actually speed up your rotation. (Block cancelling is only useful in PVP, because even though it doesn't circumvent the global cooldown, it can make certain skills land more quickly.) You cancel light attacking simply by practicing the proper timing of pressing skill buttons after clicking for your light attack (basically, just activate a skill instantly after clicking to light attack, without waiting). This is just a matter of developing the proper muscle memory, and took me about two days to figure out.

If weaving impact is wildly overstimated, it means it's not something big. That is, someone not doing it, would show 5k less DPS or similar, right?

If this is true, then anyone with the same gear, CPs, food and buff that is able to press a simple 5 buttons sequence, should be able to do 40k - 5k = 35k DPS.

But it's not so. Even with the same identical gear, setup, food, rotation etc. etc. the difference is 20k, not 5k.

So, something does not compute here.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »

Maybe u saw something I didn’t but I didn’t see any block casting at all just weapon swap ACing

He's not block casting, he's tapping block at the end of certain animations to cancel the second half of the animation and free himself up for another light attack.

Light attack > Ability > Block > Light attack
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

casparian wrote: »

- light attacks

If weaving impact is wildly overstimated, it means it's not something big. That is, someone not doing it, would show 5k less DPS or similar, right?

If this is true, then anyone with the same gear, CPs, food and buff that is able to press a simple 5 buttons sequence, should be able to do 40k - 5k = 35k DPS.

But it's not so. Even with the same identical gear, setup, food, rotation etc. etc. the difference is 20k, not 5k.

So, something does not compute here.

Animation Cancelling has a MAJOR affect on dps, the weave damage itself may not.

But think about it, even if it removes just .1 sec of animation time - over the course of 10 abilities that's 1 sec, 1 sec can bring 20k down to 15k.

If you PvP, animation cancelling is necessary just to survive

Edit: grammar
    Edited by Waffennacht on November 28, 2017 2:10AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

+
    Vaoh wrote: »

I am already doing that LA + "other" ability + LA again.
    This only works for Force Pulse and other "true instants", that is abilities with very quick animation.
    If I do LA + Liquid Lightning, Wall Of elements (and others) + LA, the second LA does NOT cancel the long animations. It seems it "queues", like a shield does if you cast it during heavy attack.
    To the bolded: As far as my understanding goes, it isn't supposed to. All you achieve with the LA before a skill, is to get a light attack in before the ability starts, i.e. more dps in a shorter time. If you want to shorten the animation of a skill after you cast it, do that with block/barswap animation cancel, or in pvp: dodge animation cancel. You should see light attack weaving as: LA + skill. Not as LA + skill + LA. In any case, skills take priority over light attack animations, which is why you can quickly use a light attack before a skill. And block, bar swap and dodge take priority over skills, which is why you can use them to cancel skill animations.
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Are you EU or NA? If NA then any of the mechanically challenged ppl are getting 50k + parses or ranged and there frequently posted to various discord servers. A friend of mine post a 52k rakhat parse with his sorc and he is a Aussie. I'll see if I can get him to screen capture it but honestly 50k + on range from a country with bad ping isn't some kind or lauch ness monster or something. If you look at the north American vma leaderboards a good portion of the top 10 players are playing from australia
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    As far as my understanding goes, it isn't supposed to. All you achieve with the LA before a skill, is to get a light attack in before the ability starts, i.e. more dps in a shorter time. If you want to shorten the animation of a skill after you cast it, do that with block/barswap animation cancel, or in pvp: dodge animation cancel. You should see light attack weaving as: LA + skill. Not as LA + skill + LA. In any case, skills take priority over light attack animations, which is why you can quickly use a light attack before a skill. And block, bar swap and dodge take priority over skills, which is why you can use them to cancel skill animations.

One of my peeves with the game is that they do not teach animation canceling. There is no tutorial, or mention, of this player skill. It is entirely player taught, or self taught. If they are going to allow animation canceling, and player skill in doing it is needed to meet DPS requirements, then they need to step up and teach it.