The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trying for a S&B front/Light Staff back tank build.

DudeTheMan
This is what I'm thinking so far:

2x Pirate Skeleton or 2x Iceheart not sure which I like better.
5x Plague Doctor
5/4x Seducer

front bar:
Pierce Armor - Hero Slash - Dark Deal - Hard Ward - Bound Aegis - Aggressive Horn

back bar:
Pulsar - Restraining Prison - Boundless Storm - Critical Surge - Bound Aegis - Energy Overload

overload bar:
Crystal Blast - Haunting Curse - Volatile Familiar - Bound Aegis - Endless Fury

It would be a magicka build if that wasn't obvious. Thoughts?

• GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/2-4-x-tank-the-burning-angel/
    try this I run a 5l 2h mag dk alot of fun
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very selfish tank, at least use ebon instead of plague or use dragongaurd instead of seducer for cheaper warhorns, with your passive 15% from sorc it would be under 200 ulti with dragon.

And instead of pulsar, use wall of elements and a lightning staff with a lightning echant, for higher of balance times, your mag dks and Stam dps will thank you.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 25, 2017 4:28AM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a very selfish tank, at least use ebon instead of plague or use dragongaurd instead of seducer for cheaper warhorns, with your passive 15% from sorc it would be under 200 ulti with dragon.

And instead of pulsar, use wall of elements and a lightning staff with a lightning echant, for higher of balance times, your mag dks and Stam dps will thank you.

Unless your running vet trials, ebon is pointless. Most the content the dps run past the tank anyways.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

Unless your running vet trials, ebon is pointless. Most the content the dps run past the tank anyways.

Ebon is most certainly not unless. That is like saying the extra 250 spell and weapon Damage you get from SPC is useless because you are not impacting the 6 people you can at max. Most good dps have the barest of health and it is your responsibility as a tank to support them and ebon is a set only the tank can wear. I know as a healer, I am quite happy for the extra 1.2 health for everyone. And it has a 28 meter range, if you can't keep up with your team, it doesn't matter what sets you wear.

Like I said, looks like a selfish tank and there is no reason to stack health on a sorc, they have no good skills that scale with health, the clanfear is junk, costs too much magic and takes up 2 slots.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 25, 2017 6:57AM
  • DudeTheMan

I'm still new to the game. This is my first level 160. I didn't know mangle did not work on bosses.. That is sad pandas. Pulsar still seems way better for trash. But, I could swap on Blockade for bosses? I am a big fan of Seducer so far. Makes managing magicka so much easier. And, Dark Deal makes managing stamina unnecessary. I could definitely swap Ebon for Plague Doc though. Any other thoughts?

• DudeTheMan
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/2-4-x-tank-the-burning-angel/
    try this I run a 5l 2h mag dk alot of fun

By "this" you mean the 5 piece Fort Brass set + Light Armor? My character is already a Sorc. I'll make a dk eventually. But, it is going to be a bit.
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, class shouldn't matter, the point being getting resists high enough to get the benefits of light armour- regen and spell pen, so you can spam your cc and dps. For a sorc encase spam. For heals I would drop bound aegis for dps skills wall of elements and liquid lightning which with crit surge would make you much more tanky and help the group with dps and synergies. That dk can solo the hardest world bosses and do up to 10-12k dps which is significant in a low dps pug group.
  • DudeTheMan
    Yes, class shouldn't matter, the point being getting resists high enough to get the benefits of light armour- regen and spell pen, so you can spam your cc and dps. For a sorc encase spam. For heals I would drop bound aegis for dps skills wall of elements and liquid lightning which with crit surge would make you much more tanky and help the group with dps and synergies. That dk can solo the hardest world bosses and do up to 10-12k dps which is significant in a low dps pug group.

I built the Fort Brass set and I am liking it so far. I think I might try Thunderbug for the 4/5 piece and keep Pirate Skele 2 piece.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 5 plague doctor, 5 mothers sorrow (spell critical), slime claw helm (critical both) and mighty chaudren (sp) shoulder. I actually run with 5 light and 2 heavy when I tank normal 1 or the easier dlc dungeon, with about 24 to 27k health. My char is a templar argonian.

When I tank the harder dungeons, I swap mothers sorrow for another heavy set, currently shalk, although I am currently looking into using a different set. Have been thinking of using dune ripper (sp) for my 2nd heavy set, although I am undecided.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DudeTheMan wrote: »

I built the Fort Brass set and I am liking it so far. I think I might try Thunderbug for the 4/5 piece and keep Pirate Skele 2 piece.

The thing about fortified brass is that you can get pretty much the same bonus from having the mighty chaudren set, but using only 2 pieced.
  • DudeTheMan

The thing about fortified brass is that you can get pretty much the same bonus from having the mighty chaudren set, but using only 2 pieced.

Mighty Chudan gives you Major Ward and Major Resolve. Which does not stack with other versions of Major Ward/Resolve. It is no where near as good. And, how does 2 pieces of Mighty Chudan give you the same bonus as a full set of Fortified Brass? I must be missing something..
    Edited by DudeTheMan on November 27, 2017 3:41AM
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mighty Chudan gives you Major Ward and Major Resolve. Which does not stack with other versions of Major Ward/Resolve. It is no where near as good. And, how does 2 pieces of Mighty Chudan give you the same bonus as a full set of Fortified Brass? I must be missing something..

According to uesp, fortified brass gives you circa 8k physical and magic resistance and 1200 ish health, and the mighty chudan gives about the same amounts, albeit as major ward and resolve, as you stated. In pure numbers, they give pretty much the same thing, although I do take your point about chudan not stacking.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use 5 plague doctor, 5 mothers sorrow (spell critical), slime claw helm (critical both) and mighty chaudren (sp) shoulder. I actually run with 5 light and 2 heavy when I tank normal 1 or the easier dlc dungeon, with about 24 to 27k health. My char is a templar argonian.

When I tank the harder dungeons, I swap mothers sorrow for another heavy set, currently shalk, although I am currently looking into using a different set. Have been thinking of using dune ripper (sp) for my 2nd heavy set, although I am undecided.

I hope I never get you as a tank.
  • Teuton67
    Teuton67
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying a warden tank with s&b front and lightning staff on the back. I am currently using 3 Ebon jewelry and two Ebon on the body. Then, 3 Torugs on the body with Torugs sword and shiel. I then have a charged Torugs lightning staff with a weakening enchant. The last two pieces are the Swarm Mother set for dungeons. It seems to work pretty well.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sorc cost reduct and dragon don't stack that way, cost ends up being 203 ulti.

He could run any staff with lightning enchant off bar and drop liquid lightning. Same amount of off balance, synergy for allied resources.
    Like I said, looks like a selfish tank and there is no reason to stack health on a sorc, they have no good skills that scale with health, the clanfear is junk, costs too much magic and takes up 2 slots.

Are. You. High? Clanfear is second only to dark deal on sorc tanks. 40k health equals roughly 18k non crit heal in demand, which my stamina build can pop twice in a row...

Slotting clanfear gives you 8% health and 2%wd/sd, increasing your healing done with this and other heals.

OP, what I would recommend is to swap seducer for 5 torug's front, that way your front bar crusher enchant is roughly 2.7k penetration. For selfish fights (vSO off tank, AA axes) throw seducer back on. Try swarm mother head and shoulder, but on boss fights I love iceheart/lord warden.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebon is most certainly not unless. That is like saying the extra 250 spell and weapon Damage you get from SPC is useless because you are not impacting the 6 people you can at max. Most good dps have the barest of health and it is your responsibility as a tank to support them and ebon is a set only the tank can wear. I know as a healer, I am quite happy for the extra 1.2 health for everyone. And it has a 28 meter range, if you can't keep up with your team, it doesn't matter what sets you wear.

Man this is why the game has a tank shortage. I only PvE on a tank. PvP for life I can’t stand PvE for this very reason. All of this is so sadly true DPS running the barebones of Health needing War Horn for the group. Armor sets for the group it’s the most boring role in the game.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    He could run any staff with lightning enchant off bar and drop liquid lightning. Same amount of off balance, synergy for allied resources.
    No, that's not how it works.

It must be a lightning staff. And it must be Wall of Elements. Period.

To get off-balance, you must first get the concussion effect. Asylum destro and shock enchant are the best ways to apply concussion. Liquid Lightning can apply concussion, but at a far lower rate. After an enemy is concussed, then Wall from a lightning staff (and only wall from a lightning staff) converts that concussion into off-balance.

The whole point of running a back-bar lightning staff for a tank is to apply Wall. If you're not running Wall, then you might as well run an ice staff or just double-bar s&b.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man this is why the game has a tank shortage. I only PvE on a tank. PvP for life I can’t stand PvE for this very reason. All of this is so sadly true DPS running the barebones of Health needing War Horn for the group. Armor sets for the group it’s the most boring role in the game.

Um. It's called teamwork. PvE is structured. You have a team, a division of labor that allows for greater specialization and from that a lot of efficiency.

PvP is just a bunch of guys looking out for themselves and "tanks" are those who just prefer to prioritize survival over damage.

People with your sort of mentality forget that PvE is very much a team sport, and the groups that realize that and play to that are the ones that can make the hardest content look easy.
    Edited by code65536 on December 24, 2017 9:18PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

takes all of 3 hours of pvp to get warhorn, i have done it all my stam toons and both my tank and i really am not a fan of pvp. it can be really fun though on a tank, going in first, knocking down people for your zerg to mess up. very different feeling the my main who is a healer, and my dps, who cant take a hit. just get it done and you never have to head into pvp again and you have the best ultimate pve tank can use. who know too, you might like it.

and what is so sad about dps doing their job? i hate it when i join a group and anyone but the tank has more then 18k health, that is a sure fire indicator that the group you have joined is not the best. when i tank, i make my team better. that is my job.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    No, that's not how it works.

It must be a lightning staff. And it must be Wall of Elements. Period.

To get off-balance, you must first get the concussion effect. Asylum destro and shock enchant are the best ways to apply concussion. Liquid Lightning can apply concussion, but at a far lower rate. After an enemy is concussed, then Wall from a lightning staff (and only wall from a lightning staff) converts that concussion into off-balance.

The whole point of running a back-bar lightning staff for a tank is to apply Wall. If you're not running Wall, then you might as well run an ice staff or just double-bar s&b.

And with one dps running wall of storms your LL and shock enchant means more concussed uptime, means more off balance time. Though you're right in that you need a wall of storms. I just forget that not every dps uses back bar lightning.

Course, all my toons do.