The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is there a way to remove borders?

Iccotak
Iccotak
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
By borders I mean loading screens between zones.
This goes back to when people made a mod to remove load screens of the Skyrim city doors; It made the world feel bigger and more alive.
One of the things I really dug about World of Warcraft was how open the world felt. When you traveled by boat you actually traveled there, no load screen, in real time traveling. Same goes for flying mounts, actually traveling to a location.

I am not suggesting the removal of Wayshrines or implementing flying mounts, as that goes against the lore.

I would like to see the following:
1. Smooth transition between borders for each alliance. No load screen between any of the neighboring zones.
2. I can understand instanced areas, but maybe less load screens between the world and dungeons. Implement some of the dungeons into the world
3. For Boats; have real time travel between zones in alliances, example: Shadowfen to Eastmarch. But not when traveling to a different alliance, like Shadowfen to Valenwood.

Overall make the world feel more open and less small.
Are there other things the game does that makes it feel small for you?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it entirely depends on how ZOS has the world set up on the servers and how they have our clients receive information.

I don't think the removal of loading screens will ever happen because we're going to need to get information from the servers, how much that can be optimised though I couldn't say.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW has 200 plus Servers. ESO has 1.

There is no way they could load the entire game world into one instance and support the populations of the game. Your never going to get Zones that blended with other zones for the same reasons. Zones are dynamically put into shards based on the populations. Delves have to be separate areas as things happen in there that are different depending on the number of players in the delve, can't do that if they are part of the zone.

As for real time travel, we had some of that in Skyrim on the Death Cart. I remember doing everything I could to will that thing to go faster. And, that was a short trip. But that is just my opinion. Reality is, if they introduce real time boat travel then they would have to get rid of Wayshrines as who would use the boats? So, a lot of programming for not much in game benefit. TES games have never really had real time travel, even in the SP games.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    real time travel, even in the SP games.

Or even real time time. Thank the gods for that.
    PC-NA Goat
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just find in-real time stuff really immersive
    Edited by Iccotak on November 22, 2017 2:55AM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, keep the argonians where they belong
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    WOW has 200 plus Servers. ESO has 1.

There is no way they could load the entire game world into one instance and support the populations of the game. Your never going to get Zones that blended with other zones for the same reasons. Zones are dynamically put into shards based on the populations. Delves have to be separate areas as things happen in there that are different depending on the number of players in the delve, can't do that if they are part of the zone.

As for real time travel, we had some of that in Skyrim on the Death Cart. I remember doing everything I could to will that thing to go faster. And, that was a short trip. But that is just my opinion. Reality is, if they introduce real time boat travel then they would have to get rid of Wayshrines as who would use the boats? So, a lot of programming for not much in game benefit. TES games have never really had real time travel, even in the SP games.
    The WOW boats had an warp too, think it was an load screen to northeim. on the other hand you could fly from the dranei island to the elven island then to the main continent, This was an good opportunity to grab something to eat.
    Your own flying mount was faster but you had to control it,
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    By borders I mean loading screens between zones.
    This goes back to when people made a mod to remove load screens of the Skyrim city doors; It made the world feel bigger and more alive.
    One of the things I really dug about World of Warcraft was how open the world felt. When you traveled by boat you actually traveled there, no load screen, in real time traveling. Same goes for flying mounts, actually traveling to a location.

I am not suggesting the removal of Wayshrines or implementing flying mounts, as that goes against the lore.

I would like to see the following:
    1. Smooth transition between borders for each alliance. No load screen between any of the neighboring zones.
    2. I can understand instanced areas, but maybe less load screens between the world and dungeons. Implement some of the dungeons into the world
    3. For Boats; have real time travel between zones in alliances, example: Shadowfen to Eastmarch. But not when traveling to a different alliance, like Shadowfen to Valenwood.

Overall make the world feel more open and less small.
    Are there other things the game does that makes it feel small for you?

World of Warcraft has load screens between contenants, though. Also had load screens when you used your various hearth stones( WoW's fast travel), and any type of travel using boats or airships.
    You could travel between zones on the same contenant, yes, but going from Eastern Kingdoms to Kalimdor or Northrend, or Pandaria, etc...you get load screens.
    Just something that comes with gaming, not exclusive to ESO. Even WoW has them.
    Edited by Kel on November 22, 2017 5:16AM
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jabrone77 I know WoW is not completely seemless but there are some areas that don't have it and it was a nice touch
  • Zimbugga
    Zimbugga
    ✭✭✭
    Never. Game will have more lag if we don't have those loading screens. It's good that we have different areas and we can enter to them with loading screen. This game will have big area where are thousands players.

Well yes, it will be smoother if we don't have those loading screens. It's a beautiful dream, what will never happen. There is that programming problem and we don't have yet that good technology (consoles, PC etc.), what will make our dream true. Let's hope.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way, of course. Will Zos put forward the effort to do a redesign of how the servers work together and how the game works on them. Doubtful since the small reward is really likely not worth the effort. That is what is comes down to, a business decision.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still wishing for stuff like this. I think I would be okay to have loading screens when using fast travel. What annoys me mostly are loading screens when entering subareas, such as delves, thats why I always hated delves and completing deves (and I completed them all..).
    I would also like some real time travel, I experienced that in Archeage, they also had some loading screens, but mainly with fast travel ( I think). And they had these great air ships (which dont really fit in the TES world alas), when I first saw the silk striders, I really hoped for something like that. But I'd like to have a cliff racer mount to travel by air (loves the gliders in Archeage too, felt sooo amazing, such views also). Also still want sea-zones and ships..
    at least maybe it could be possible to add a "token" loadscreen, where you see your character on a ship, when using one of the boats, which already exist. Would be even nicer to be able to walk around, but probably then it would take ages, and dont work as a loading screen.
    Actually I loved the starting sequence of morrowwind because of that.. and that one quest in AD where you land on a boat and have to fight a sea monster.
    *dreaming*
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/b]

If you like taking your time for boats, they could just get rid of the Slaughter Fish and then you could swim.
  • ZioGio
    ZioGio
    ✭✭✭
    We should never poo-poo a suggestion out of hand, but, in this instance, as a software engineer myself I'm making an educated guess here, I think that the game engine is not designed to allow for a true One Tamriel experience free of load screens.

That said, there are ways already in the game that the game design team can help with immersion breaking. One idea is to put fortified gates at all border crossings so that the player has to open the gate to proceed. Since we're already used to load screens when opening doors, this won't be as immersion breaking as, say, riding down an open road only to abruptly hit a load screen and have to remount.

My first MMO was Lineage (the 2D isometric-overhead version) and before you could teleport you had to use a ship to get to the other continent or something like that (I forget; it was almost 20 years ago). Anyway, you had to wait for the ship to arrive (like you do in WoW), but the boat trip was real time so you had several minutes with nothing to do but watch your boat cut through the water and listen to the sounds of the sea. It was quaint and sometimes, as a veteran, you'd take the boat out of nostalgia, but it was used very infrequently by anyone who could teleport.
    PC NA
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they add this ... i will swim to the gold coast from malabal tor and i won't need to pay the DLC xD
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To remove borders, just support your local insurrections and talk to some Orcs about Syndicalism.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on technology and what the future holds. I can remember all the loading between zones in EQ2. Even in the city, going between areas had a 30-45 second load screen. Then 5 years later, technology changed and they were able to make it all one zone with no loading in between.

As for Skyrim, this is a mod for a game that is solely on the user's computer, and additionally the mod depends on if the computer can handle the extra memory needed. It is likely that computers that barely met the specs when Skyrim was released would have a hard time with the added load.

This is true with the servers technology used for ESO. If it is possible someday, perhaps it will happen.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you're asking for is animated load screens .... Erm based on current load screen issues ... No let's not cause more problems
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zimbugga wrote: »
    Never. Game will have more lag if we don't have those loading screens. It's good that we have different areas and we can enter to them with loading screen. This game will have big area where are thousands players.

Well yes, it will be smoother if we don't have those loading screens. It's a beautiful dream, what will never happen. There is that programming problem and we don't have yet that good technology (consoles, PC etc.), what will make our dream true. Let's hope.
    Problem is not just that the loading screen is needed for downloading data, you port to clockwork city and it need to load all the zone stuff, that could be pre loaded then close to zone border. But zone change will usually move your character to another server.
    lientier wrote: »
    Still wishing for stuff like this. I think I would be okay to have loading screens when using fast travel. What annoys me mostly are loading screens when entering subareas, such as delves, thats why I always hated delves and completing deves (and I completed them all..).
    I would also like some real time travel, I experienced that in Archeage, they also had some loading screens, but mainly with fast travel ( I think). And they had these great air ships (which dont really fit in the TES world alas), when I first saw the silk striders, I really hoped for something like that. But I'd like to have a cliff racer mount to travel by air (loves the gliders in Archeage too, felt sooo amazing, such views also). Also still want sea-zones and ships..
    at least maybe it could be possible to add a "token" loadscreen, where you see your character on a ship, when using one of the boats, which already exist. Would be even nicer to be able to walk around, but probably then it would take ages, and dont work as a loading screen.
    Actually I loved the starting sequence of morrowwind because of that.. and that one quest in AD where you land on a boat and have to fight a sea monster.
    *dreaming*
    This sounds like an memory issue to me, delves or public dungeons are still in the same instance, however the game might need to load textures and stuff.
    Note that one reason for longer loading screens in cyrodil might be more styles and costumes and obviously an non optimized engine.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to remove borders?
    No, they can't ...

Each zone is it's own map with no connection to any other zones. That's the reason why you have loading screens between zones because everything for that other zone has to be loaded into memory.

I'm not sure if you ever managed to get "outside" a zone but if you do, you can see for yourself that it is impossible to walk to another zone from there, they do not exist at that point.

There is no huge contiguous Tamriel map ...
    shades.gif
  • Zorvan
    Zorvan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look at TES and Fallout. Enter a building? Zoning. Enter a dungeon? Zoning. Go into another world zone such as dlc areas? Zoning.

And you thought they wouldn't build ESO the same? Remember, ZOS had Bethesda's crew, like Todd Howard for instance, providing technical assistance to make the game. It's what they're used to doing and it was done here. In fact, if you were here in the very beginning, you know they built ESO like a singleplayer TES then slapped multiplayer on top, because they had no experience at making a multiplayer game at all. They've learned as they've gone along, but those foundations are already laid.
    Edited by Zorvan on November 22, 2017 10:04PM
    I've been muted since November 2017 because of the whiny crybabies on this forum and the liberal ZOS employees coddling them.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to build a wall.
  • Zorvan
    Zorvan
    ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to corner the market on tunneling machines.
    I've been muted since November 2017 because of the whiny crybabies on this forum and the liberal ZOS employees coddling them.
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u look at the void around the playable map, it should be possible to put at least 2 zones in 1 area.
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • patrick_smyth
    patrick_smyth
    ✭✭✭

Friend of Donald Trump are we? ;)
    @patrick_smyth PC EU Server
    Character: Richard Greymane - Breton Assassin (Stamina Nightblade) - Daggerfall Covenant
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorvan wrote: »
    Look at TES and Fallout. Enter a building? Zoning. Enter a dungeon? Zoning. Go into another world zone such as dlc areas? Zoning.

And you thought they wouldn't build ESO the same? Remember, ZOS had Bethesda's crew, like Todd Howard for instance, providing technical assistance to make the game. It's what they're used to doing and it was done here. In fact, if you were here in the very beginning, you know they built ESO like a singleplayer TES then slapped multiplayer on top, because they had no experience at making a multiplayer game at all. They've learned as they've gone along, but those foundations are already laid.

Actually ESO zoning is super fast. In fact, I was so pleased when I saw how fast you could enter certain places in ESO, compared to Skyrim.

And oh, even though ESO has one server, it's the mega-server thing. Probably having hundreds of servers connected to one.
    Edited by maboleth on November 24, 2017 11:17AM