The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lag spikes and disconnects every 5-10 minutes (PC/NA)

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Guys, I can’t stress enough that the most recent windows be update can really mess up a connection. They changed up their firewall and the malware detection program and they’re both constantly downloading at ridiculous speeds, but even worse they upload...

Before you rule it out, use a program that tracks data usage by process... or just watch your upload / download speed through your router’s GUI.

The ZOS servers have been great lately and I haven’t encountered any issues with the regular nodes (accessing from LA).

Agreed. A better solution would be to roll back your OS to Windows 7 (or 8.1 if you must), Windows 10 is an unmitigated disaster, it's just that most users don't yet realise it and tend to blame everything else :wink: !
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I can’t stress enough that the most recent windows be update can really mess up a connection. They changed up their firewall and the malware detection program and they’re both constantly downloading at ridiculous speeds, but even worse they upload...

Before you rule it out, use a program that tracks data usage by process... or just watch your upload / download speed through your router’s GUI.

The ZOS servers have been great lately and I haven’t encountered any issues with the regular nodes (accessing from LA).

Thanks for the help and I will check that.

But what my group of Argentinians is experiencing is sudden disconnects. We have different ISP but it happens at the exact same time. Can windows antimalware provoke such behavior? Furthermore, one of our friends has windows 7 (although in a network with his girlfriend with Win10)
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Look the network traffic from playing for a while

H1FdpbV.png

As you can see, almost all traffic is from eso64.exe. If there was a problem with my computer or my local network, i would have solved it by now, trust me. As @cecibergesnrb18_ESO pointed it out, seems to be a network issue from people connections from south america. I can bet some gold that the DDoS protection is the issue.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure you guys know by now that the server gets DDoS attacks every so often. There people out there in the real world looking to destroy Tamriel.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usualy don't have too many major problems with ping and crashes, but I tried to get in game around 12cst and couldn't even play.
    NA/PC....... Ping was hitting 7k+, then lag out, then crash to load screen. 3 zones, happened 4 times, less than 30 minutes.
    Said "Oh Well"... going to work and hope it better tonight.
    Good Luck All!

ping alone isnt a great performance indicator as it can indicate the router you are pinging just being too busy to respond to pings. they are low priority for routers and they can simply delay response, or even be set not to respond at all. you'd need something like an mtr to give a better indication.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »

H1FdpbV.png

As you can see, almost all traffic is from eso64.exe. If there was a problem with my computer or my local network, i would have solved it by now, trust me. As @cecibergesnrb18_ESO pointed it out, seems to be a network issue from people connections from south america. I can bet some gold that the DDoS protection is the issue.

what graphics card and driver are you running? and before you ask, yes, it can cause dropouts. no, i dont know how, but it did for me and many others a while back
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

H1FdpbV.png

what graphics card and driver are you running? and before you ask, yes, it can cause dropouts. no, i dont know how, but it did for me and many others a while back

the same i used for over a year and never had problems, a GTX 1070.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thats the kind of answer people give who dont actually want to find a problem because they "know" its not them or their equipment. what driver version are you running? iv got a 970gtx, but im running 382.33 and having no dropouts. if you arent running that driver or later, try upgrading to it.
    honestly i probably had your skepticism when i read about people claiming it was graphics drivers causing their game to dropout. til i changed my driver and all my dropouts stopped.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    been experience random crashes in the last week or so. I'm in north east US. its not my connection, as its not the only MMO I play, but its the only MMO that's been crashing/lag spiking on me. and only in the last week or so, prior to that I played pretty much with no crashes and almost no lag spikes :/ crappy ping but it was holding pretty steady so.. yeah :/

the worst part, it doesn't just happen in busy locations. most recent disconnect few minutes ago? Dreloth tomb.

edited to add - just saw a post about windows update. I mean.. it could certainly be a culprit. but that doesn't explain why only ESO is affected :/ unless something in windows update specifically doesn't like ZOS servers?
    Edited by Linaleah on November 18, 2017 1:36AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thats the kind of answer people give who dont actually want to find a problem because they "know" its not them or their equipment. what driver version are you running? iv got a 970gtx, but im running 382.33 and having no dropouts. if you arent running that driver or later, try upgrading to it.
    honestly i probably had your skepticism when i read about people claiming it was graphics drivers causing their game to dropout. til i changed my driver and all my dropouts stopped.

The game is not crashing, i'm getting a lag spike and sent back to the login screen. That is NOT a grapichs card problem
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a Mac user and have been experiencing the same issues for a week now. It’s quite severe. Also I’m fairly certain it’s something akin to earlier this year where depending what node you connected through it was affecting diff people except this time it seems to be affecting mostly overseas users. When you have so many people/threads talking the same issue it’s very unlikely to be a windows update.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok first of all thanks for the suggestions. I tried using an older nvidia driver from the days I didn't have a problem I also uninstalled Nvidia Experience.

I was getting my hopes up but then at the 49 minute mark... disconnect to the login screen :/ . I was in Gold Coast in a WB group.

I also talked with someone from the U.S. that disconnected 2 times today.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is not crashing, i'm getting a lag spike and sent back to the login screen. That is NOT a grapichs card problem

mine wasnt crashing either. mine was sending me to the login screen. and it WAS a graphics card problem. more specifically, a graphics driver problem. I found the solution to this on the net and my last ditch effort following their ridiculus instructions to change my graphics driver fixed it. it was the only change i made that fixed it. why did this fix it? no idea.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need a main thread for lag and ping spikes like we do for loading screens. The performance is awful in Cyro. It’s like 450 latency how’s now become normal. It spikes to 999 for no reason even just sitting inside a keep.
    Edited by Vapirko on November 18, 2017 7:26AM
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC/NA US West Coast, no lag or disconnects tonight, and I was all over Tamriel claiming dozens of Surveys.

Vapirko wrote: »
    Just to keep these thread going, cause this sucks. PvP all I can do is mess around, playing seriously is a joke. But heres the trace route I ran which is now no help at all thanks to ZOS' new ddos protection. Submitted a ticket anyway.

traceroute to 198.20.198.110 (198.20.198.110), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 1.408 ms 1.255 ms 0.945 ms
    2 10.87.190.1 (10.87.190.1) 10.876 ms 34.713 ms 11.130 ms
    3 10.87.190.1 (10.87.190.1) 8.546 ms 9.374 ms 7.829 ms
    4 10.87.245.225 (10.87.245.225) 7.319 ms 7.913 ms 8.126 ms
    5 10.185.94.219 (10.185.94.219) 7.924 ms 8.535 ms 7.563 ms
    6 10.185.94.41 (10.185.94.41) 8.288 ms 7.455 ms 7.594 ms
    7 58-97-83-89.static.asianet.co.th (58.97.83.89) 8.649 ms 9.403 ms 7.533 ms
    8 58-97-82-188.static.asianet.co.th (58.97.82.188) 11.733 ms 8.819 ms 10.278 ms
    9 ppp-171-102-254-65.revip18.asianet.co.th (171.102.254.65) 12.244 ms 8.261 ms 8.518 ms
    10 ppp-171-102-254-227.revip18.asianet.co.th (171.102.254.227) 9.660 ms 9.504 ms 7.835 ms
    11 61-91-213-130.static.asianet.co.th (61.91.213.130) 9.169 ms 10.179 ms 9.647 ms
    12 122.155.226.133 (122.155.226.133) 40.655 ms 41.636 ms 40.249 ms
    13 61.19.9.110 (61.19.9.110) 70.065 ms 70.303 ms 71.583 ms
    14 prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net (123.255.91.26) 68.836 ms 69.942 ms 68.076 ms
    15 a72-52-2-184.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com (72.52.2.184) 64.759 ms 65.702 ms 65.016 ms
    16 a72-52-2-189.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com (72.52.2.189) 66.068 ms 65.662 ms 66.996 ms
    17 93.191.173.93 (93.191.173.93) 279.461 ms 261.834 ms 307.222 ms
    18 * * *
    19 * * *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *
    25 * * *
    26 * * *
    27 * * *
    28 * * *
    29 * * *
    30 * * *
    31 * * *
    32 * * *
    33 * * *
    34 * * *
    35 * * *
    36 * * *
    37 * * *
    38 * * *
    39 * * *
    40 * * *
    41 * * *
    42 * * *
    43 * * *
    44 * * *
    45 * * *
    46 * * *
    47 * * *
    48 * * *
    49 * * *
    50 * * *
    51 * * *
    52 * * *
    53 * * *
    54 * * *
    55 * * *
    56 * * *
    57 * * *
    58 * * *
    59 * * *
    60 * * *
    61 * * *
    62 * * *
    63 * * *
    64 * * *
    Holy smokes dude. What the hell kind of network are you on? I really hope all those private IP hops are port forwarded or not NAT'd because if they're not then that's your issue.

Also, it's perfectly normal for nodes to return *. Lots of servers are configured to not respond to ICMP (tracert) requests.

For all who have this issue, did your ISPs suddenly start using NAT or PAT? Does your tracert have multiple private IPs at the start? Has a new NAT enabled router been added to your network? If yes to any or all questions, that just might be your problem.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »
    PC/NA US West Coast, no lag or disconnects tonight, and I was all over Tamriel claiming dozens of Surveys.

Vapirko wrote: »
    62 * * *
    63 * * *
    64 * * *
    Holy smokes dude. What the hell kind of network are you on? I really hope all those private IP hops are port forwarded or not NAT'd because if they're not then that's your issue.

Also, it's perfectly normal for nodes to return *. Lots of servers are configured to not respond to ICMP (tracert) requests.

For all who have this issue, did your ISPs suddenly start using NAT or PAT? Does your tracert have multiple private IPs at the start? Has a new NAT enabled router been added to your network? If yes to any or all questions, that just might be your problem.

it likely ended about 21 but because it doesnt show the hops and hit the destination, windows will keep going til it hits its default, which is 30 hops. given this hit 64, unsure what they are running. maybe its a mac. or win10 changed the default
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pele welcome to playing from Thailand lol. But anyway Akamait Tech is actually zos new ddos protection and that’s why it’s disappearing. While playing I use a vpn which cuts the jumps significantly, without that it’s not playable ever. But this is all non issue as the lag is far worse than normal and I’ve run tracerouts before and ever seen this Akamait Tech thing, this is new. Trust me I’ve spent lots of time figuring it out and going over network issues, and I can tell you that the way the game is behaving now isn’t normal though it’s hard to explain to people who play from the US or their respective server country.

@Slick_007 it didn’t end at 21. It’s zos ddos protection as I explained above. It just becomes hidden from trace routes and pathpings. A pathping reads 100% packer loss.
    Edited by Vapirko on November 18, 2017 9:57AM
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, 1) I don't understand anything about internet, but

I remember once when we from Argentina couldn't download a patch and we had to use Hotspot Shield to connect. So now I used a similar one (Windscribe) and I was able to play more than 2 hs without disconnects.
    I connected to a East Coast U.S. with it and then logged to ESO.

I'm not saying this is a solution, I really don't know what this program does, also IT'S NOT FREE, I'm just using a trial. I don't know if it really helped or I was lucky. Also it's more laggy with it.

Just trying to add some info for the ones that understand these things.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be clear, you are not really seeing a "lag spike". You have lost connection with the server. The client doesn't know this, so it looks like "lag". You get sent back to the login screen when the client decides to give up.

The disconnect could be anywhere between you and the megaserver. Almost literally.

As to why, my first guess would be some company inbetween you and ZOS has decided not to pass along your traffic. DDoS mitigation is a good place to start. If you are in a location that is being identified as a source of DDoS traffic, whether against ZOS or not, you could find yourself with problems.

If this is happening to a lot of people in your geographic location, then I would really think that.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be clear, you are not really seeing a "lag spike". You have lost connection with the server. The client doesn't know this, so it looks like "lag". You get sent back to the login screen when the client decides to give up.

The disconnect could be anywhere between you and the megaserver. Almost literally.

As to why, my first guess would be some company inbetween you and ZOS has decided not to pass along your traffic. DDoS mitigation is a good place to start. If you are in a location that is being identified as a source of DDoS traffic, whether against ZOS or not, you could find yourself with problems.

If this is happening to a lot of people in your geographic location, then I would really think that.

So.. they (ZoS or something in our route to U.S.) is blocking entire regions because they got DDoS attacks from there. Well at this points, I can't say I'm surprised, considering how more important international matters are being handled. :/

If things are like that then ZoS shouldn't sell this game in those regions that are being blocked because honestly we can't play like this.
    Edited by Loves_guars on November 18, 2017 8:02PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last 2 weeks has been imposible for me to play, constantly getting huge lag spikes and/or disconnected. Sometimes the game recovers after the lag spike and catch up by fastfowarding everything that happend during the lag spike, but most of the time i get straigh disconnected. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not my connection, been playing other online games an ESO is the only one that is giving me problems.

It happends everywhere, dungeons/cyrodrill/cities/etc. Anyone else experecing the same? is very frustrating.

EDIT:

- Many people from south america seems to be expericing the same

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Haven't had the lag spikes you describe yet (hope it stays that way). I have been crashing off and on though. Not every 10 minutes like yourself. But often enough that it's annoying.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i know, but sometimes the client manages to recover after the connection lost. Is more like packages being dropped or something like that, because sometimes i can see what is happening around (very laggy, but i can see people activating skills and such) but i can't do anything, and eventually everything freezes out and that is where i sent back to the login screen a few seconds latter.

The strange part is that even using VPN services, i get the same behaviour, that is what i can't understand why, i'm routing the traffic with a secure VPN and still getting disconnected?...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So.. they (ZoS or something in our route to U.S.) is blocking entire regions because they got DDoS attacks from there. Well at this points, I can't say I'm surprised, considering how more important international matters are being handled. :/

If things are like that then ZoS shouldn't sell this game in those regions that are being blocked because honestly we can't play like this.

Well, if it is DDoS, then ZOS is probably not blocking anything. For NA, they hired a company to deal with that for them, and that company deals with it. It has nothing to do with how "international matters" are handled. It has everything to do with IP addresses where attacks are coming from. The software that monitors this sort of thing has no interest in geopolitics.

Of course, it might not have anything to do with DDoS. It might be that some backbone node is failing and all the traffic that is going through there is disrupted. It might be that some internet cable is overloaded and your traffic is delayed or routed to longer, but less busy, cables.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok guys I give up. If anyone finds a solution or if ZoS fixes it please someone message me. Reading some of these responses just makes me feel negative about a game that I actually like. So I'm going to play something else in the meanwhile.
    Edited by Loves_guars on November 19, 2017 4:12AM
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you dont protect a DDoS attack by blocking regions, most of the DDoS attacks cannot be block because the use protocols like UDP, they can only be mitigated.

If we are getting disconnected like this is because something is not working properly.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Greetings from Middle Europe.
    I experience the same issue since November 8 (yeah, right after CWC implementation), however I am not being disconnected. I encounter periodic lag spikes to 500ms+ up from my normal 100ms. It's usualy 2-4 spikes in 10 minutes lasting for 10-20 seconds. Trials became unplayable for me. I can't even freaking train on my target skeleton in my home without getting these lag spikes. This never happened before CWC implementation and I play for more than two years.

I noticed few things:
    1. Lag spikes happen no matter if I am connected via ethernet cable or wireless.
    2. Lag spikes happen trough entire day starting at 7:00 a.m. (I don't log earlier). Around 11:45 p.m. lag spikes disappear entirely and my usual 100ms latency drops to stable 60ms.
    3. Pinging (via command prompt) the EU ESO server located in Frankfurt, Germany reports around 110ms. Pinging (via cmd) EUNE League of Legends server also located in Frankfurt, Germany reports around 18ms.
    4. Tried using mobile data and turning my cellphone into mobile hotspot just to be sure that my optical connection router isn't the problem. I've got mobile data from same ISP like regular internet connection. Results were the same, still encountering periodic lag spikes.
    5. Tried connecting to my friends wifi (he's got different ISP). Regular latency was higher than on my wifi, but lag spikes happened much less often.
    6. Tried repairing the game without any success.

Any advices for me please? This night I uninstalled ESO and let it install during the night. Will try to run brand new ESO installation tomorrow without any addons or saved settings to see if something changes.
    Honestly, I am starting getting hopeless. I am feared that I will have to abandon ESO thanks to this. A friend already bought me Overwatch, I was not very hyped for that (I was never fan of FPS games but I like some serious competitive PvP which is completely missing in ESO) but if these lag spikes in ESO continue, I will switch to Overwatch.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on November 19, 2017 10:16PM
  • Konbaelfarlin
    Konbaelfarlin
    Soul Shriven
    I'm also experiencing all these issues. Checked network usage, tracert etc. All come out fine.
    Like you, I also tried reinstalling, removing addons, power cycles, and much more.
    Using a VPN gives me the same problems too so it really can't be the connection.
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly why do we still have people like @Thogard trying to make out that this is not a game issue. We all know its a Game issue, if it wasn't the game we would have it with everything else we do.

What we need is for ZOS to acknowledge there is an issue and put real effort into fixing it. Most wouldn't care not getting DLCs or Chapters if it meant they had a stable game. But I don't expect that ZOS will even comment on this thread.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings from Middle Europe.
    I experience the same issue since November 8 (yeah, right after CWC implementation), however I am not being disconnected. I encounter periodic lag spikes to 500ms+ up from my normal 100ms. It's usualy 2-4 spikes in 10 minutes lasting for 10-20 seconds. Trials became unplayable for me. I can't even freaking train on my target skeleton in my home without getting these lag spikes. This never happened before CWC implementation and I play for more than two years.

I noticed few things:
    1. Lag spikes happen no matter if I am connected via ethernet cable or wireless.
    2. Lag spikes happen trough entire day starting at 7:00 a.m. (I don't log earlier). Around 11:45 p.m. lag spikes disappear entirely and my usual 100ms latency drops to stable 60ms.
    3. Pinging (via command prompt) the EU ESO server located in Frankfurt, Germany reports around 110ms. Pinging (via cmd) EUNE League of Legends server also located in Frankfurt, Germany reports around 18ms.
    4. Tried using mobile data and turning my cellphone into mobile hotspot just to be sure that my optical connection router isn't the problem. I've got mobile data from same ISP like regular internet connection. Results were the same, still encountering periodic lag spikes.
    5. Tried connecting to my friends wifi (he's got different ISP). Regular latency was higher than on my wifi, but lag spikes happened much less often.
    6. Tried repairing the game without any success.

Any advices for me please? This night I uninstalled ESO and let it install during the night. Will try to run brand new ESO installation tomorrow without any addons or saved settings to see if something changes.
    Honestly, I am starting getting hopeless. I am feared that I will have to abandon ESO thanks to this. A friend already bought me Overwatch, I was not very hyped for that (I was never fan of FPS games but I like some serious competitive PvP which is completely missing in ESO) but if these lag spikes in ESO continue, I will switch to Overwatch.

The revealing line, to me, is number 3. The ping and traceroute commands eliminate the megaserver itself from the equation, which shines the light on the network/internet and away from "server performance".

It says that there is a 100ms latency in the network from the point where the route splits to go to the different game up to the point where the last ping is returned. I wonder what a traceroute would look like, to see the point where they diverge.

I will throw out a guess and say that it is Deutsche Telekom, since I have already seen a traceroute with an added 100ms latency as it enters Deutsche Telekom territory. This might be a situation similar to an AT&T node that was plaguing the NA megaserver.

Uninstalling ESO is a waste of time, in my opinion. This should be reserved for things like broken textures, blue screen, and other local severe things, and only when a Repair does not work. This game is too large to just be deleting it and downloading it again.

Add-ons can cause latency problems, particularly "big data" add-ons like Master Merchant. This tends to be more of a one time startup issue, though.

You could try a VPN to see if that bypasses a node on the internet that is causing problems, but if that node is really close to ZeniMax, or actually in the datacenter, a VPN probably won't work. VPN traffic is going to have to go through that node, anyway.

In any case, I think your options are limited. You can investigate add-ons to see if one of them is causing problems. You can try a VPN to see if that changes anything. Outside of that, you are at the mercy of someone else, whether it is ZOS or some internet backbone company, to fix the problem. The good news is that if it is ZOS, they can fix it, and if it is an internet backbone node, and enough people are suffering and can identify the node, ZOS is in a much better place to talk to them than you are.

Edited by Elsonso on November 20, 2017 2:33PM
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talked with 3 players from Brazil yesterday, they are all having the same issue
    Edited by ManDraKE on November 21, 2017 5:12PM