Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Get rid of crotch flaps.

• Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it's things like this as to why the devs really don't listen to much coming from the fourms.......
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the crotch flaps. Since they -are- historically accurate...
    ...you do know the human body has quite vulvnerable reguins between the thighs? And I don't just mean the "male bossfight weak spot", most people forget a certain artery running along the inner thigh that when cut will let a person bleed out very, very quickly... thus it makes a LOT of sense to put an extra layer of tough stuff over that region!
    ...that being said, I for one would not mind a toggle to let people have more choice. I mean, we get it for helmets, so why not for shoulderpieces and hip/crotch parts as well?

You are right there. A small cut (about half a inch deep) is enough to hit the artery, and will let you bleed to death in a matter of minutes. Protection there has nothing to do with fashion, but pure survival. After all, we dont go bear hunting naked either do we? (rethorical question!)
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh thank God....I thought this was gonna be a random bot ad for labiaectomy surgical procedures. :o
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they're called "loincloths".

Or "meat curtains".

Oh wait, that's something else.... :|
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the overall takeaway from most of these threads isn't that crotch flaps or hip guards or whatever are just ugly, it's that they obviously float 6+ inches away from the character model or clip halfway through our character's legs, arms shields etc.

Thieves guild questline costume? Belt buckle floats 6 inches away from stomach.

Large shield? Clips into character's hair and if your female toon has a butt at all, it clips into that as well.

Grothdarr shoulder? Help up by pure daedric sorcery, because it's certainly not attached to me.

Sheathed dual wield weapons while wearing armor? They clip through your arms, your hip armor, etc

Did you buy a crown store personality? Yeah, now your gear clips or floats in new and irritating ways.

There are certainly more pressing technical issues with the game, but this has been a steady problem that has only grown since adding new armor styles and costumes every patch.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    The medium skinchanger flap clips through the pants, or at least on my character it does.
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I also hate them on my characters. I don't want anything flopping around down there!! it gets annoying too when you are on your horse and the "Butt flap" cuts into the horse when you are galloping, no worries horsey just slicing you in half with my buttflap.
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Balamoor wrote: »
    And it's things like this as to why the devs really don't listen to much coming from the fourms.......

Because people post ideas about things they like or dislike? Yeah, that is pretty frightening I’d probably stay away too...
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Historically speaking, groin flaps are an extremely rare form of armor. The only one's that come to mind are the roman belt with several leather strands dangling in front of your groin and the lamellar type sheets used in Japanese armor. And those were light flexible designs. Not the huge bulky nonsense you get in ESO. The rest are modern ballistic vest designs.

There are good reasons why such armor was almost never worn. It gets in the way. It would keep banging against your thighs when you moved, and it would make horse riding pretty much impossible.

And don't take my word for it, go ahead and google some pics of medieval armor and see for yourself.

You did get codpieces though... Some that were in an exaggerated form of... well use your imagination. But in any case, those were not huge dangly flaps hanging from your waist.

Groin protections was most often covered by the hem of your chain hauberk, or by just wearing sturdy leather pants and good solid greaves. Some plate cuirass designs had a skirt of metal bands that covered the groin, but those were fairly late developments.

Any big pieces of hanging metal in the front of the body were affixed to the thighs and did not hang in the middle like they do in ESO. And most armor forms that looked like skirts were parted in the middle to facilitate movement.

In short - the but and groin flaps in ESO are a stupid and silly looking artistic design choice and nothing else..
    Edited by Hymzir on November 13, 2017 12:18AM
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them. Let's the cool breeze flow all around.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    CODPIECES! CODPIECES FOR EVERYONE!

Any good recipes can we make with Cod pieces?

o:)
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    Is it just me that really hates these things? Not only are they not mix & match-friendly, but they also often clip through the armor/costumes they were designed for. The designers clearly don’t take personalities or weight into consideration either, since both can cause the flaps to clip with the outfit when they otherwise wouldn’t. Take this for example.

EE03296_A_3_AF8_4_E6_C_8_C35_DE930_AAE2_B7_D.jpg
    Pretty decent screenshot, right? If I were to somehow beat the astronomically low odds and win that sweepstakes for the NPC character, this is the shot I’d want them to use for any promotional material (assuming I chose this character). Except...right at the bottom, if you look closely, you can see where that bone crotch flap is clipping ever so annoyingly. This is due to the personality. Otherwise, it hardly clips at all.
    893_A3_FC6_5_D41_41_EF_855_F_96_F3_CA4_E719_F.jpg

Weight is also a factor, as I tested in the character edit screen with another character (neglected to take screenshots, unfortunately). It’s really not as big of a deal as I might be making it sound; there are obviously much more pressing issues at the moment and with that considered, this probably isn’t even worth an entire topic. It just nags and nags at me, because (to me, at least) it’s almost perfect. Like 99%. I hate almost perfect more than not perfect because I know that chances are, I won’t find something I think is superior. My biggest problem with it, though, is that I just don’t understand why they keep designing the armors to include this. SWTOR does the exact same thing. They’re completely unnecessary and look tacky on most styles I’ve seen anyway.

I recommend removing them altogether or at least making it so they don’t appear without the full style set. And remove it from Cavalier of the Sworn Oath PLEASE. How about a toggle? A toggle for whatever the hell they're actually called.

Fail post, please add more robust crotch flap options.

And for the love of all things decent, please keep this pervy pve'ers crotch covered up...
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like practical armor, and those are damned practical for everyone. xD.
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dredlord wrote: »
    TheMaster wrote: »
    Is it just me that really hates these things? Not only are they not mix & match-friendly, but they also often clip through the armor/costumes they were designed for. The designers clearly don’t take personalities or weight into consideration either, since both can cause the flaps to clip with the outfit when they otherwise wouldn’t. Take this for example.

EE03296_A_3_AF8_4_E6_C_8_C35_DE930_AAE2_B7_D.jpg
    Pretty decent screenshot, right? If I were to somehow beat the astronomically low odds and win that sweepstakes for the NPC character, this is the shot I’d want them to use for any promotional material (assuming I chose this character). Except...right at the bottom, if you look closely, you can see where that bone crotch flap is clipping ever so annoyingly. This is due to the personality. Otherwise, it hardly clips at all.
    893_A3_FC6_5_D41_41_EF_855_F_96_F3_CA4_E719_F.jpg

Weight is also a factor, as I tested in the character edit screen with another character (neglected to take screenshots, unfortunately). It’s really not as big of a deal as I might be making it sound; there are obviously much more pressing issues at the moment and with that considered, this probably isn’t even worth an entire topic. It just nags and nags at me, because (to me, at least) it’s almost perfect. Like 99%. I hate almost perfect more than not perfect because I know that chances are, I won’t find something I think is superior. My biggest problem with it, though, is that I just don’t understand why they keep designing the armors to include this. SWTOR does the exact same thing. They’re completely unnecessary and look tacky on most styles I’ve seen anyway.

I recommend removing them altogether or at least making it so they don’t appear without the full style set. And remove it from Cavalier of the Sworn Oath PLEASE. How about a toggle? A toggle for whatever the hell they're actually called.

Fail post, please add more robust crotch flap options.

And for the love of all things decent, please keep this pervy pve'ers crotch covered up...
    What? Lmao, in the example I posted, the robe would still be covering the crotch. I’m talking about that bone piece. The little unnecessary flaps like that don’t protect jack diddly squat.

Such as here:
    C0_F6_B336_28_AB_4_F0_C_8_FEF_5_BECF52_C0_CD7.jpg

Why is that even there? Who thought that was a good idea? It doesn’t protect anything and it clips through the robe depending on your weight.
  • leemcky
    leemcky
    Seems practical to me
  • GuardianStriker
    GuardianStriker
    ✭✭✭
    This has been going on in my head for years to come and it just annoys the hell out of me that ZOS doesn't listen to our complaints.

I've already made a post about this almost two years ago and still nothing happened. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, LET US TOGGLE THOSE UGLY HIP FLAPS!
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to create some costumes that show off more skin, if that's what a person wants.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dredlord wrote: »

It is covered. It doesn't need to be double, or in some styles, triple covered.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it really sort of odd on some equipment as well. For example the different thieves guilds or Assassin guild variants. Why would these people want a large flappy loose hanging part to their equipment? It would do nothing but get in the way and make noise, something they really really don’t want to have happen. Heck some of them are almost skirts. Who crouches and sneaks around in a skirt?
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the new birthday suit costume
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the new birthday suit costume
    I can see where this is going...
    964Z9KK.gif
    2dd.gif
    :p;):D:naughty:
  • GuardianStriker
    GuardianStriker
    ✭✭✭
    Too bad it's just you with that idea.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say this: I didn't make one of my characters "Mix-a-Lot Friendly" just to have the relevant portion hiding behind a dangling flap of leather.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on December 7, 2017 1:12AM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll?
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the crotch flaps. Since they -are- historically accurate...
    ...you do know the human body has quite vulvnerable reguins between the thighs? And I don't just mean the "male bossfight weak spot", most people forget a certain artery running along the inner thigh that when cut will let a person bleed out very, very quickly... thus it makes a LOT of sense to put an extra layer of tough stuff over that region!
    ...that being said, I for one would not mind a toggle to let people have more choice. I mean, we get it for helmets, so why not for shoulderpieces and hip/crotch parts as well?

Is it historically accurate that my hip flaps float in the air and don’t actually touch me?

I know I know, I’m just being a dork. Id love toggles for them. Since some of them look fine, but as the op said sometimes they don’t match or clip.

My problem with the hip armor is that if you're going to armor in that way you'd more likely have it go around more completely. As someone stated earlier, there are arteries that are easily severed in the thigh and crotch. I would love to see a proper set of chain armor as well.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to a bunch of pics of tribal warriors from Indonesia:

Crotch flaps seemed pretty popular.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I don't want flaps completely removed. In many motifs they enhance the appearance. Having both is good. You can have tasselless look with at least Malacath and Order of the Hour motifs. Try combining different weights, e.g. malacath medium jacket/light trousers (IIRC).
    Screenshot_20160408_140026.png

That looks like a camel toe.
    And even Molag Bal wears a "crotch flap" lol
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I don't want flaps completely removed. In many motifs they enhance the appearance. Having both is good. You can have tasselless look with at least Malacath and Order of the Hour motifs. Try combining different weights, e.g. malacath medium jacket/light trousers (IIRC).
    Screenshot_20160408_140026.png

That looks like a camel toe.
    And even Molag Bal wears a "crotch flap" lol
    And everybody will be like that if we completely remove the flaps. That is why i don't support removal of flaps. Let it be an option, and we already have few of them.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Blkadr
    Blkadr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »
    Large shield? Clips into character's hair and if your female toon has a butt at all, it clips into that as well.

This always bothers me, my tank has long hair and not only is it one solid piece with no kind of movement, the ends stick out the middle of her shield when she runs. :(
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lets add small straps instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIH5CJmPj4