Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Get rid of crotch flaps.

ThePrinceOfBargains
ThePrinceOfBargains
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it just me that really hates these things? Not only are they not mix & match-friendly, but they also often clip through the armor/costumes they were designed for. The designers clearly don’t take personalities or weight into consideration either, since both can cause the flaps to clip with the outfit when they otherwise wouldn’t. Take this for example.

EE03296_A_3_AF8_4_E6_C_8_C35_DE930_AAE2_B7_D.jpg
Pretty decent screenshot, right? If I were to somehow beat the astronomically low odds and win that sweepstakes for the NPC character, this is the shot I’d want them to use for any promotional material (assuming I chose this character). Except...right at the bottom, if you look closely, you can see where that bone crotch flap is clipping ever so annoyingly. This is due to the personality. Otherwise, it hardly clips at all.
893_A3_FC6_5_D41_41_EF_855_F_96_F3_CA4_E719_F.jpg

Weight is also a factor, as I tested in the character edit screen with another character (neglected to take screenshots, unfortunately). It’s really not as big of a deal as I might be making it sound; there are obviously much more pressing issues at the moment and with that considered, this probably isn’t even worth an entire topic. It just nags and nags at me, because (to me, at least) it’s almost perfect. Like 99%. I hate almost perfect more than not perfect because I know that chances are, I won’t find something I think is superior. My biggest problem with it, though, is that I just don’t understand why they keep designing the armors to include this. SWTOR does the exact same thing. They’re completely unnecessary and look tacky on most styles I’ve seen anyway.

I recommend removing them altogether or at least making it so they don’t appear without the full style set. And remove it from Cavalier of the Sworn Oath PLEASE. How about a toggle? A toggle for whatever the hell they're actually called.
Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on November 12, 2017 2:38AM
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh god I hate both crotch flaps and the usually awful faulds (hip armor)!
    Please do something about them. Either hide them with an option or get rid of them entirely.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the crotch flaps. My female toons have great bodies that don’t need the cover.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the crotch flaps, the hip flaps, and the huge pauldrons that look like you could use them to fly with. I think the designers need to rethink some of those things.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the crotch flaps. Since they -are- historically accurate...
    ...you do know the human body has quite vulvnerable reguins between the thighs? And I don't just mean the "male bossfight weak spot", most people forget a certain artery running along the inner thigh that when cut will let a person bleed out very, very quickly... thus it makes a LOT of sense to put an extra layer of tough stuff over that region!
    ...that being said, I for one would not mind a toggle to let people have more choice. I mean, we get it for helmets, so why not for shoulderpieces and hip/crotch parts as well?
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...you do know the human body has quite vulvnerable reguins between the thighs? And I don't just mean the "male bossfight weak spot", most people forget a certain artery running along the inner thigh that when cut will let a person bleed out very, very quickly... thus it makes a LOT of sense to put an extra layer of tough stuff over that region!
    ...that being said, I for one would not mind a toggle to let people have more choice. I mean, we get it for helmets, so why not for shoulderpieces and hip/crotch parts as well?

Is it historically accurate that my hip flaps float in the air and don’t actually touch me?

I know I know, I’m just being a dork. Id love toggles for them. Since some of them look fine, but as the op said sometimes they don’t match or clip.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on November 12, 2017 2:06PM
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes I agree , get rid of them, my ebony armour medium would look so much better :)
    g8fWjkH.png
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the crotch flaps are annoying and make zero sense, they push out of the way easy and don't even cover the artery there, they just look lame.

The hip plates are also annoying but not as bad IMO.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    these you call them as "Aprons".
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give it a toggle option if you must but I like them. They are practical. There are also the battle skirts that we have seen added to Ancient Orc and Skin-changer.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will protect your junk?
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No we need the crotch flap!
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh my
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    What will protect your junk?
    No we need the crotch flap!

Agreed. I don’t want my banana to get peeled in combat. :(
  • SFDB
    SFDB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crotch flap is as effective at protecting the groin as *** tassels would be for protecting the chest - it's in the right area, but a piece of underlying armor would be more practical. The more protection a crotch flap would theoretically provide, the more it would be an obstruction to you in combat because of its weight and solidity. It will interfere in your ability to rapidly mount a horse, get in the way as you tried to ride, and slam against the very organs you wish to protect whenever your company is sent on a march. The crotch flap is a totally impractical addition to armor that is only there for purely aesthetic purposes and not in any way, shape or form for defensive ones.

So what I'm saying is: add *** tassels to the game.
    Edited by SFDB on November 12, 2017 6:24AM
  • CheepsNSalsa
    CheepsNSalsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe they're called "loincloths".
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah, clipping issues. Those side flaps look awesome when sheathing dual weapons. And I love how pretty much every shield sticks to the back of my skull when running or on horseback. I'm convinced ZOS doesn't even check for clipping when designing new apparal and weaponry.
    And if heavy armor and shields are meant for tanking why did you put wings on the back of the Ra Gada HA...
    Edited by Everstorm on November 12, 2017 6:34AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wear a chest piece style that doesnt have them. The new Bloodforge Chests is a great choice.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to say that again ?

16882731-tough-scotsman.jpg

Edited by JamieAubrey on November 12, 2017 7:27AM
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How am I supposed to hide the fact that my manly redguard has no genitalia? It's not even at JP mmo mangina bump levels, cover that atrocity up!
    love is love
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want to play in ym toons underwear showing of my sex Breton body with my tattos.
    Can we have a hide evry armor slot pls? :D

on topic yeah its a good idea

+1 from me :)
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How am I supposed to hide the fact that my manly redguard has no genitalia...
    Maybe... Petition for crown store purchasable crotch bulges? :p;)
    660.gif
    Wiener sausage size - 500 crowns, Banana size - 1000 crowns, Daikon Radish size - 2500 crowns!
    367c001d996ce334d31c1dc3978b5d1a1436650224_full.gif
    ;):p:naughty::D

• EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally hate hip flaps much more.
    The perfect solution for me to make them (and crotch flaps too) part of waist armor piece model, not chest.
    It will allow them to stay in the game and will allow players to use girdles/belts/sashes from styles without them.
    Edited by EvilCroc on November 12, 2017 9:19AM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    I personally hate hip flaps much more.
    The perfect solution for me to make them (and crotch flaps too) part of waist armor piece model, not chest.
    It will allow them to stay in the game and will allow players to use girdles/belts/sashes from styles without them.

Or simply make it a toggle?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate crotch flappers, hip flappers and shoulder wingies! Especially on light armor.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... they protect my Elder Scrolls... :open_mouth:
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, just want to say. Thank you for this valuable information. I have really learned something new and no I didn't know. About this certain artery,I'll look it up. On YouTube, but what you describe with artery. It’s horrible sounding and muse say quite scary indeed.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CODPIECES! CODPIECES FOR EVERYONE!
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want flaps completely removed. In many motifs they enhance the appearance. Having both is good. You can have tasselless look with at least Malacath and Order of the Hour motifs. Try combining different weights, e.g. malacath medium jacket/light trousers (IIRC).
    Screenshot_20160408_140026.png
    Edited by helediron on November 13, 2017 7:05PM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Alexandrious
    Alexandrious
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Alexandrious on November 12, 2017 5:33PM