The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What’s with the JUNK crafted sets in clock city?

Chronicburn
Chronicburn
✭✭✭✭
2 of the 3 sets are garbage... mixing stam and magik boosts and spell and weapon dmg boosts on the same sets?

ZoS knows damn well this makes them useless to 99% of players because the way they separate the damage of abilities into spell/magiKa and weapon/stamina.

The third set looks ok but for tanks only.

What’s the deal?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Seriously. What one dislikes greatly there is likely someone who really thinks the set is cool.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever they release a new DLC, they're terrified of it being labeled "Pay-To-Win" by us fans, so they make things like found sets mediocre instead of awesome.
    At least that's my theory about it.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Seriously. What one dislikes greatly there is likely someone who really thinks the set is cool.

Being cool in theory, and being actually practical are two entirely different things though.

These sets are junk mechanically, and that is a fact. Somebody thinking they're cool won't change that.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

For example: I really like the Innate Axiom set. It gives a nice offensive boost to builds that rely primarily on class skills to do damage. Very handy. So not sure what's not to like about the new sets.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 7, 2017 4:56PM
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

This.

For example: I really like the Innate Axiom set. It gives a nice offensive boost to builds that rely primarily on class skills to do damage. Very handy. So not sure what's not to like about the new sets.

Half the stuff on the set is useless... the weap and stam boosts are useless to magik user and vice versa. How is that good?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looked at the sets. My comment hold very true.

They're hybrid sets it seems. It is right and good that Zos adds hybrid sets some times and there are few hybrid craftable sets.

One mans junk is another mans treasure. Play as you want.
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hybrid builds don’t work based on the damage system
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or at least how about a magika set and a stam set too then? 2 hybrid sets and nothing for the majority? Not good.
  • shinikaze
    shinikaze
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the fact thtat both sets give stam and magicka... I am always starving for magicka :c
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've seen a lot work.
    PC EU
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This comment is very incorrect.

They may it work for purely high dps but they do work for PvP. Some of those players that have killed you are hybrids.

It's also irrelevant if you don't care for hybrids since others so ans have fu. With them. It's narrow minded to think everyone is into clearlong all the HM trials.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

Half the stuff on the set is useless... the weap and stam boosts are useless to magik user and vice versa. How is that good?

Stamina is not useless though, especially if you play as a Templar Tank frequently like I do. And the set gives both weapon/spell critical and spell/weapon damage. That's how a number of sets operate on this game. They give mirrored values of both so it can be used by either build.

Is there another crafted set that gives that much spell damage to all my Templar class abilities? Because if there is I haven't seen it. So it doesn't seem like the addition of both spell and weapon damage to the 5 set bonus has caused the developers to decrease the value any.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 7, 2017 5:17PM
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still doesn’t explain the lack of stam/wpn or mag/spell sets ...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 craftable sets were added. One with tanks in mind, a straight up hybrid sets a hybrid proc set.

That's why Zos didn't add another pure build set.

That explains it. It's the answer to your last question.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure builds have loads of sets already including all the end game sets, I think it's okay if we let hybrids have a few more.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the mistake you are making is you presume when a set gives both spell and weapon damage that somehow means the value is being cut in half to accommodate the dual stat. That doesn't seem to be the case.

For example; even a fully divine/Legendary Mundus Stone bonus to spell power gives around the same (actually it might be a little less) than the spell power bonus Innate Axiom gives to class abilities.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 7, 2017 5:26PM
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Pure builds have loads of sets already including all the end game sets, I think it's okay if we let hybrids have a few more.

As do hybrids
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... is Twice-Born Star a hybrid set? Since, you know, it grants both max magicka and stamina? Strange, then, that for such a long time, this "hybrid" set known as TBS was the meta for DPS, finally getting knocked off its pedestal earlier this year with the changes to War Horn in the Homestead patch.

A set granting both types of stats doesn't make it hybrid. It just makes the set more universally usable by both stam and magicka. In the case of TBS, the question was whether or not the 5p was worth a "wasted" set bonus. And it definitely was.

You "lose" one set bonus in Mechanical Acuity, but gain a unique 5p bonus. If you're running around with, say, 50% crit chance (since nobody uses Thief these days), this effectively adds 50% crit chance with an uptime of somewhere around 25%. This is effectively a gain of 12.5% crit chance overall. In contrast, the 5p bonus on Mother's Sorrow adds 8.8% crit chance. Is this 5p worth a wasted set bonus? I'm not sure--I haven't tested it. But it's certainly not a clear-cut "no".

Or Innate Axiom. For magicka classes in PvP, much of their outgoing damage come from class skills. This is particularly true for mag DKs, where almost all of their outgoing damage comes from class skills. Furthermore, stam is not a wasted stat for magicka characters in PvP because you need stamina to free yourself from CC. You kill a magicka player in PvP by draining their stamina and then locking them down. This is why seemingly "hybrid" sets like Amber Plasm and Shacklebreaker are actually BiS sets for magicka players in PvP. Innate Axiom is far from useless--it's probably the new BiS set for mag DKs in PvP, I'd imagine.

Ironically, if you were to ask me which of the three sets is most useless, I would've pointed at the tank set. Resistance is an overrated stat, it's a "selfish" set, and it doesn't compare well against other "selfish" tank sets in the game.
    Edited by code65536 on November 7, 2017 5:27PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    And why doesn’t anyone use thief these days? Because they nerf anything people like?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why doesn’t anyone use thief these days? Because they nerf anything people like?

Because Thief was nerfed into the ground while others were buffed.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As do hybrids

I really wouldn't describe Innate Axiom as a hybrid set just because it has a little stamina on it.

It's more like a set designed for those who focus on using class skills to do damage with etc.
    Edited by Jeremy on November 7, 2017 5:35PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the mistake you are making is you presume when a set gives both spell and weapon damage that somehow means the value is being cut in half to accommodate the dual stat. That doesn't seem to be the case.

For example; even a fully divine/Legendary Mundus Stone bonus to spell power gives around the same (actually it might be a little less) than the spell power bonus Innate Axiom gives to class abilities.

Exactly this. There seems to be this weird belief that somehow if a set like Innate Axiom were focused on either stam or magicka it would be more powerful. But 400 weapon and spell damage is not going to be 800 damage if it were focused on only weapon or spell damage. And the max stamina is great for PVP. And I like sets like these that provide flexibility to be used by either magic or stamina users.

I personally plan on using Innate Axiom paired with Necro for my Mag Warden in PVP.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. There's only so many combinations of set bonuses available, so it's probably not easy to come up with something new for each DLC. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread has run its course and expect it's been a learning experience for some. Not trying to be condescending.
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah learned there’s not much for stam or mag builds this patch and you guys are fine with it ...
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvE Mechanical acuity is ruined by the dual-focus set bonuses. These types of sets are only viable in PvP. So is zos just adding PvP sets now? Maybe this is the bone they threw to PvP for this update. I'd prefer the sets to focus on just stamina or just magicka, so that they're usable in PvE. Or even better the sets give the full four usable bonuses to both mag/stam.

Regarding Acuity vs Mother's Sorrow: so the new set is arguably (a stretch) as good as a different set that no one uses? Sounds great sign me up...
    Edited by Kanar on November 7, 2017 7:03PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah learned there’s not much for my stam or mag builds this patch and you guys are fine with it ...

Fixed that for you ...
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 of the 3 sets are garbage... mixing stam and magik boosts and spell and weapon dmg boosts on the same sets?

ZoS knows damn well this makes them useless to 99% of players because the way they separate the damage of abilities into spell/magiKa and weapon/stamina.

The third set looks ok but for tanks only.

What’s the deal?

Yeah, nobody likes Clever Alchemist either, or Shacklebreaker either. Pure trash.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cant see how the new sets would work, then they just aren't for you or your content. Enough people can, who get how to make then work, sure some of then are very build specific but they have their uses.

First time in a while all of them have a good use.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

This. There's only so many combinations of set bonuses available, so it's probably not easy to come up with something new for each DLC. :)
    They could always stop adding new sets every DLC? I mean really it's getting stupid at this point.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."