Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Advice on how to deal with a troll?

Ballcap
Ballcap
✭✭✭✭
Last night in Cyrodiil I said something in zone chat and was called out as being a DC spy by the same guy who has done this before. As anyone who reads my posts knows, I'm AD all the way. I really only play one character. Anyway, why does it bother me? I don't know but this guy is relentless in zone chat saying Ballcap is a DC guild. It isn't. For pete's sake, I named it after myself so I could see my name on the screen when I claim resources. I tried to explain that but this person wouldn't stop. Ballcap is DC, Ballcap is DC.... I mean, so what, right? Just ignore him, right? But when others start reacting to this guy and I'm getting whispers asking if it's true. Or excluded from certain groups because "Ballcap might be DC" it does affect the game. It sucks and it's a big part of the reason I left for a while.

I don't know what I've done to this guy but he just does not stop. I can't talk in zone chat anymore because apparently this guy is always online and will immediately start blasting out Ballcap is a spy and Ballcap is a DC guild. While it's easy to put this guy on block, and I have before. It sucks having to explain that it's not true over and over to people who whisper me. So I need to see what he's saying about me. I know I'm letting a troll get to me, but it does bug me. Games are supposed to be fun and there is no other PVP out there like ESO but when I have to spend half my time typing into the PS4 interface it really takes away any fun. I don't know this guy IRL or anything. Does anyone have any advice on how to address this? It's every time I log in and it's driving me away from this game.
  • nikigwil
    nikigwil
    ✭✭✭
    Block the player via PSN or ignore them. If you dont respond they will move on to troll someone else.
    Options
  • Ballcap
    Ballcap
    ✭✭✭✭
    nikigwil wrote: »
    Block the player via PSN or ignore them. If you dont respond they will move on to troll someone else.

Yeah, I mentioned having done that. The issue is the questions from others and being left out of groups because of it.
    Options
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear if you don't feed them it is possible that they can die. I know fables say charge them like a billy goat but that is pure bs and those things were written before the internet.
    Xbox One Na
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like to troll trolls...send me a message in game with their name...

I'd be happy to mess with them...

same as forums: geonsocal...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a PVP'er, but that does suck. Also sounds like he's trying to divert attention from his own spying. I've gone in and done PVP just to be with friends, and I "could" act as a spy, but what purpose would it even serve? I have characters in all 3 factions. Just ignore him, maybe report for harassment?
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why everyone needs at least one character of a different alliance, for "dealing" with problematic people in your own faction ;)
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
    Options
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you act confused in chat and ask people how someone can spy they will just think you are an ignorant noob and not a spy invalidating the trolls statements.
    Xbox One Na
    Options
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer; create a DC toon in Ballcap to roll them :trollface:
    Options
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Keep him ignored and move on. The type of person who would avoid you just because of gossip isn't the person you want to be around anyway.

I'd suggest leading your own groups. Not to prove anybody wrong, don't give them that power, but just to accomplish more than tailing zergs.
    Options
  • nikigwil
    nikigwil
    ✭✭✭
    @Ballcap all you can do is say the truth and anyone who wont group you because of a nonsense troll is rediculous. All the chat about spies is why i have chat off lol.
    Also which server are you on NA or EU? If on EU im in an all AD guild I can add you too.
    Edited by nikigwil on October 27, 2017 10:00PM
    Options
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ballcap wrote: »
    Last night in Cyrodiil I said something in zone chat and was called out as being a DC spy by the same guy who has done this before. As anyone who reads my posts knows, I'm AD all the way. I really only play one character. Anyway, why does it bother me? I don't know but this guy is relentless in zone chat saying Ballcap is a DC guild. It isn't. For pete's sake, I named it after myself so I could see my name on the screen when I claim resources. I tried to explain that but this person wouldn't stop. Ballcap is DC, Ballcap is DC.... I mean, so what, right? Just ignore him, right? But when others start reacting to this guy and I'm getting whispers asking if it's true. Or excluded from certain groups because "Ballcap might be DC" it does affect the game. It sucks and it's a big part of the reason I left for a while.

I don't know what I've done to this guy but he just does not stop. I can't talk in zone chat anymore because apparently this guy is always online and will immediately start blasting out Ballcap is a spy and Ballcap is a DC guild. While it's easy to put this guy on block, and I have before. It sucks having to explain that it's not true over and over to people who whisper me. So I need to see what he's saying about me. I know I'm letting a troll get to me, but it does bug me. Games are supposed to be fun and there is no other PVP out there like ESO but when I have to spend half my time typing into the PS4 interface it really takes away any fun. I don't know this guy IRL or anything. Does anyone have any advice on how to address this? It's every time I log in and it's driving me away from this game.

You can counter a troll with trolling. Be creative!
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
    Options
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As others have said, just ignore them and they will likely move on eventually. Also, anyone who excludes you from their group just because one troll said you are a spy is an idiot anyways
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    Ballcap wrote: »

You can counter a troll with trolling. Be creative!

Tell him impen is bugged and increasing crit DMG. That should do it lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like ignoring isn't working. Take screen shots of the chat and report him for harassment. You will need to show it is an ongoing thing and you probably will not know if anything is done or not, but still worth a try.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, lol there are a lot of things you could do.
    If you must.
    Answer everything he says with what he just said as a question.

Whisper him and say how did you know and how is he so gud at pvp, add you will give him a mill gold if he says he is the spy (the key thing here is do not give him the gold) just f with him he is obviously a simpleton

Tell everyone he is just a little upset bc you are banging his mom and kicking him out of the basement.

Acknowledge sarcastically how you are a master spy and will be the downfall of thw entire alliance with a nostolgic NOT pun at the and with laughter.

Tell him he is on friendship suspension for fibbing to try and get validation from people in a video game in a toxic manner.

Tell everyone if that was the case you would have a witty name like 007.

Tell everyone no one would bother spying on them bc everyone is playing like garbage. (benefit and objective with this one is to get everyone that can be bothered to care to get riled up and curbstomp some keeps.)

Actually, just do all of them. Prob wont be your last troll so just drop kick them with some of these in that situation.
    Edited by Malacthulhu on October 27, 2017 10:22PM
    Xbox One Na
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, lol there are a lot of things you could do.
    If you must.
    Answer everything he says with what he just said as a question.

Whisper him and say how did you know and how is he so gud at pvp, add you will give him a mill gold if he says he is the spy (the key thing here is do not give him the gold) just f with him he is obviously a simpleton

Tell everyone he is just a little upset bc you are banging his mom and kicking him out of the basement.

Acknowledge sarcastically how you are a master spy and will be the downfall of thw entire alliance with a nostolgic NOT pun at the and with laughter.

Tell him he is on friendship suspension for fibbing to try and get validation from people in a video game in a toxic manner.

Tell everyone if that was the case you would have a witty name like 007.

Tell everyone no one would bother spying on them bc everyone is playing like garbage. (benefit and objective with this one is to get everyone that can be bothered to care to get riled up and curbstomp some keeps.)

Actually, just do all of them. Prob wont be your last troll so just drop kick them with some of these in that situation.

hmmmm, you sound suspiciously experienced in this sort of stuff...
    sM7kkT6.jpg
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • Ballcap
    Ballcap
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. I posted this when I was frustrated and probably shouldn't have said anything at all. For anyone else dealing with trolls, there is some good advice in this thread. Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. You all are what makes this game great.

For those who asked, it's PS4 NA. I'll see you on the battlefield. For the queen!
    Options
  • Rudyard
    Rudyard
    ✭✭✭
    Find him in game, then follow him everywhere like the Adoring Fan from Oblivion. Fill in the rest with your preference, lol.
    Deacon Grim
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I troll as much as I possibly can, the targets? The people who bite.

If you care what I think by responding, Ive already trolled you.

Ignore me, you win and I WILL look elsewhere for a target. MMO's are full of people who will scream at the top of their lungs about how much they dont care, in response to someone over and over and over and over and over. Trolls laugh their asses off at people like that.

Always ignore man, always.

Now if it goes beyond that, if someone is messaging you and harassing you thats a little different. But zone chat is fair play.
    Options
  • Jaybe_Mawfaka
    Jaybe_Mawfaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    put on Ignore, move on. It's not a rocket science how to deal with them.
    Options
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally love the mute add on since /ignore has a limit

And a better one is being worked on called hearnotrollseenotroll

in ESO trolls are completely avoidable especially if you hang out with your own Posse
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://goo.gl/images/QiDWuL

Be the armadillo.
    Options
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep referring to him as a potato or any food with potato in it. Sounds like they are doing it to bug you but if people see you just putting in work for your faction it discredits the troll. You keep responding to them though it just feeds the troll.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
    Options
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    He seems like some scrub who wont last long anyway. If he was PC NA i'd kill him myself, and you as well, as you're AD ;) Dont let him bother you, you're among friends here.
    Options
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inarre wrote: »
    The answer; create a DC toon in Ballcap to roll them :trollface:

This. Join us dc friendly fam.
    Pc na
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him spy's are so 2015 .. Anyone that rants in zone chat all day is probably already known as someone with issues . Zone chat is for calling out attacks and warning fellow players of enemy movement . People spying won't waste time actually fighting , they will park a toon Afk at a wayshrine . Spy's are too busy using the information for the other character they are playing to do anything else . With the amount of zerging now spy's are obsolete really . If you can't see a whole faction face rolling a side of the map then nothing is going to give you any more edge .
    Options
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best thing to do is to not give them what they want. Ignoring and blocking is the best way, but acting like it doesn't bother you also works.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
    Options
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Find him and kill him, failing that, put him/her/it on ignore or grow thicker skin :p
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

Options
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seduce him, making him fall head over heels in love with you and then dump him without warning right before a major holiday.
    Options
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him to stop flirting with you because you're not interested.
    Options