The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Breaking poverty?

SameMeteor26
SameMeteor26
✭✭✭
How in the gods of tamerial do you make gold in this game. Ive been sitting at about 10k for as long as I can remember. I first tried selling things I thought were "cheap" on the guild traders. That didn't really work out because I didn't actually know what was a reasonable price and everything was super expensive. I then tried selling mats and that was a huge waste of time. Took forever to actually get stacks of the mats and then I would only get like 3k for each stack, which btw took forever to actually find buyers. I've tried doing telvar stone grinding but it seemed eh. So I don't know what to do. It would really be nice to be able to buy things.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant help you there. My all time record is 200 k gold :/
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of ways. You need to know what sets are popular and farm them. Easiest way might be to look at what mats sell for the most. Right now on pc an ancestor silk sells for a lot. It’s pretty easy to get. You can also pick a region that has a rare motif or something and farm the chests on your way around looking for materials.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you just do your daily vet pledges, you'll make around 5k a day. That's 35k a week. Just sell all the junk you get to vendors and decon all the purple gear. Then sell the purple upgrade mats on guild trader.

If you really want to get serious about making money, then start farming raw mats. You can make 80k+ an hour. You'll need some farming gear for this though (it's super cheap to buy). Farming sets are Fiord, Jailbreaker, Darkstride, and Prisoner (pick any two, you can decide what works best for you).

You'll need a trading guild to make money though. The best locations are in Rawl'kha, Mournhold, Wayrest, Elden Root, and Belkarth.

If you've been playing the game a while, I'm sure you're sitting on a mountain of raw mats already. So just list those on a trader. Everything is worth something in stacks. I listed ~200k worth of provisioning ingredients and fishing bait not too long ago that I was just sitting on without noticing (I only noticed the glut I had after I cancelled my sub and lost the crafting bag).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 28, 2017 3:01AM
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not complicated you just need to learn what items are in demand and more importantly which of those items can be farmed the efficiently.

For instance I hear a lot of players telling other players to fish in order to get rich. This is a huge waste of time when compared to other methods. Only fish to chase the achievement, it will be a net loss in gold if you are only trying to make money. 1% chance of perfect row is not high enough to justify the time spent to catch them. You would probably make more grinding humanoids just for the gold on them and get exp to boot.

New motifs are always a staple as are hard to get ones. If farmed correctly you can get 8 per hour of the current newest 3 motifs and yet they still sell for over 15k a piece(PCNA). It will take a bit of luck but the biggest thing is knowing when to log off one character and onto another. Pick Pick Woe until you get a motif or until you have done it to 5 npcs, then log onto another toon. Many will get it within the first 5, the ones that don't could take several hours without getting a drop. Win or cut your losses and move on.

Buoyant Armriger drop rates suck but when you do get one it will be worth 200-500k depending on the piece. Rare drop from chests in Morrowind. If you go this route, I suggest also stopping to pick pick woe 5 npcs every half hour so you are farming both this and the three motifs from above at the same time. When you get a BA motif, change characters and repeat the process on another.

Changing characters may be my lucky underwear and thus all in my head. It really does seem to work though and by a landslide in comparison to me staying on the same character. It wouldn't even be a competition between the two, night and day.

Farming materials works well. Everybody needs them no one wants to spend the time. This can be done at any level, but lower levels may want to focus on alchemy mats. Results will be better if you have the passives in clothing/blacksmithing/woodworking that "Maximizes the chances of extracting xxx ingredients and allows the refining of the most powerful xxx from raw materials."

Buying and reselling. Once you have some capital buy things to resell now for higher, or buy now to hold on and sell later. Items from the luxury vendor in Coldharbour can give some big returns a few months after you bought them. But not everything, you need to anticipate what people will want vs what is crap.

Loot EVERYTHING sell the junk to merchants and the non junk at guild traders or in zone.

Maximize your sales by selling in quantities people need. Legendary upgrade mats 8 or 40 at a time. Provisioning mats sell faster in stacks of 100 than they do in stacks of 200. Low level mats I personally do in stacks of 100 but it would probably be more efficient to do a bit less. Low level wood I do stacks of 50, as most people will only need to make 1 or 2 items with it when they buy it. Your results may vary but this has done well for me.

Do daily writs on every character you can and at max level if they can. The gold you get back vs the materials you use may end up being close to a wash, especially at max level where a stack of cloth is selling for 10k... but the gold upgrade materials and possibly master writs you get back will more than make up for the it. Invest in your crafters.

Keep up on what the newest best in slot items are and the ones that are able to be traded farm. Best in slot items sell for a lot, there may be a decline.

Most of all... Don't waste gold at least not till you are sitting in your comfort zone. A gold saved is a gold earned. Port to guildies if you are not at a wayshrine. Do not repair gear unless it is CP 160(just replace broken gear with what you find). Even then don't pay to repair it, use grand repair kits.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick-pocket or steal your way to fortune.

A Khajiit is your friend in this situation, with their bonuses to theft related skills.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started by stealing everything not nailed down and fencing it. that's 10-15k a day by very conservative estimates, assuming you are not lucky and don't get a lot of blues/no purple treasures to fence. as far as selling... I honestly have no idea how people manage on consoles. on pc, I use combination of Tamriel Trade center, master merchant and awesome guild store addons as my crutches. I pretty much sell whatever I find while playing and don't need - just cross reference between TTC and MM and try to come up with a price that is on a lower end of the spectrum, but still decent enough profit. mind you, I'm not rich either by some of the standards of this game... but I did manage to break 1 mil in my bank stash, so... there's that :)

you do need a decent trading guild to sell with any degree of effectiveness - doesn't have to be one of the top locations, but at least inside city hubs.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    I started by stealing everything not nailed down and fencing it. that's 10-15k a day by very conservative estimates, assuming you are not lucky and don't get a lot of blues/no purple treasures to fence. as far as selling... I honestly have no idea how people manage on consoles. on pc, I use combination of Tamriel Trade center, master merchant and awesome guild store addons as my crutches. I pretty much sell whatever I find while playing and don't need - just cross reference between TTC and MM and try to come up with a price that is on a lower end of the spectrum, but still decent enough profit. mind you, I'm not rich either by some of the standards of this game... but I did manage to break 1 mil in my bank stash, so... there's that :)

you do need a decent trading guild to sell with any degree of effectiveness - doesn't have to be one of the top locations, but at least inside city hubs.

They don't have TTC/MM, but they have huge inflation as a result. Items sell for like 2-3x as much as they do on PC market.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 27, 2017 3:35AM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell alkhest stuff from bag if you have it. Some people have 30 to 100k just right there. Doing dungeons is like 5k in stuff and pledge is 500g in vendor box. Could always do vet pledges that's 10 to 22k each round.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've made my gold from questing and selling all junk to vendors. Farming items like purple spriggan jewellery, different types of motifs. Tempering alloy, dreugh wax, rosin. Perfect roe, kuta runes. My gold total is close to 7 million. Although I starting playing this game in 2014, only joined trading guilds for first time late last year. At least 4.5 million was made just by questing on different chars, selling junk picked up along the way from dolmens, killing npc's in quest zones, delves etc.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I will just stick with my crimson cove runs and make like 5k in like 5 or 10 minutes (before selling and repairs). But for those wondering you have to be able to keep yourself sustained and be able to survive like 50 or so enemies and be able to wipe them quickly. What I use is a breton templar, equipment however is not light.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some boats, big boats, on the docks in Daggerfall my friend.

None of the guards patrol there so help yourself and work on your competence as a pocket technician yes. A little each day.

Some small coin can be made too when fencing what you find at the nearby outlaws refuge. Launder the edible items as this still counts towards increasing your skill.

Then when you hit level 17 of that skill line Khajiit would consider that is the best time to start investigating pockets rather than barrels.

Occasionally then, especially on grumpy elf island, you may find something very interesting and potentially valuable yes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i stole my 1st million, you'd be surprised what the NPCs lave stashed away in their drawers/cupboards etc

i started playing on NA 3 weeks ago i already have full sets of 160cp gear sat in my bank, even though my highest level character is 32 and i still have 100K. blade of woe is life!
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no specific order of importance:

# 1: Dont buy stuff. If u want an item, check its price, check where to get it from, go there, farm for it until u either have the item or the gold needed.

#2: Dont buy stuff just for the reason that some random guy called it "meta". The difference between gearsets is minimal*, the "meta" changes all 3 month. (*really, really small. ppl called sets "broken op", which would give an average 14,64% dmg increase and other sets "nerfed to useless" which would give a 14,39% dmg increase.)

#2.1: Do the math yourself. Minimise. Theres a lot of things ppl consider "superimportant", that wont matter much: Golding armor. Having perfect traits. Golding offhand/offbar weapons. Fact: u can solo-kill any worldboss (with exeception of Howard Wuyuwizz) with purple gear w/ trait of Mt.Whateverest, crafted weapons, and mismatched racials and on any class. Same goes for dungeons/veteran dungeons (if they dont come with levers/pressure plates that require more than one person). Get stronk.

#3: Dont do housing. Buying the manor for several million goldpieces: thats the cheap part. The amounts of gold those bottomless pits can eat after u got them, r .... amazing.

#4: Dont work for other ppl: U should not farm stuff to sell it to other ppl. U r better off, farming stuff for yourself and sell the leftovers.

#5: Provisioning: Be able to craft your own buffood and additionally, craft green cp 150 food from leftover mats (from hireling), max passives for more units/craft and sell those to npc. If u have enough mats: 20k/hour, no "market", no competition, no need to leave town.

#6: If u r in a trading guild: Do the "newest" dailies that reward with motifbooks. ppl pay insane amounts of money to complete their collections of fugly styles they'll never use outside of masterwrits.

#6.1: Release the alts: The more alts u have, the more of the same dailies u can do.

#7: Fighters-/Magesguild/Undaunted (delve) dailies: Fast, easy, reward with ornate items, average 5k~10k gold per alt per day. There is a lorebook in the undaunted areas, telling u where to find good dailies.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do my writs everyday.
    I sell all the low level mats I get from them once I reach 75 of a stack at my guild trader.
    I collect the alchemy mats whenever I see them although I only sell them when I reach 25 of a mat... still they sell really fast and are worth a lot.
    I collect the max level mats for only myself. However on my alts without max crafting I collect and sell those low level raw mats for a whole bunch.

I don't farm mats, I just pick them up whille questing.. But still I am making money from them. It looks like very little gold but it really does add up since you are getting it for free.

I am always picking up and selling Ornate junk.

I have about 300K and own two houses... so I am not the super rich just a middle class home owner.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How in the gods of tamerial do you make gold in this game. Ive been sitting at about 10k for as long as I can remember. I first tried selling things I thought were "cheap" on the guild traders. That didn't really work out because I didn't actually know what was a reasonable price and everything was super expensive. I then tried selling mats and that was a huge waste of time. Took forever to actually get stacks of the mats and then I would only get like 3k for each stack, which btw took forever to actually find buyers. I've tried doing telvar stone grinding but it seemed eh. So I don't know what to do. It would really be nice to be able to buy things.

What are you spending all your gold on? A person can get that much just doing quests and fencing stolen items.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vimora
    Vimora
    ✭✭✭✭
    No matter how you look at it, it's grind. You have to be willing to grind if you want money.

1. Steal stuff behind the Bank building in Evermore and fence it. Build your Legerdemain up so that you can fence more and have a higher chance to successfully pickpocket.
    2. Max your craft's appropriate passives to be able to find ancestror silk and rubedite ore. These are the most expensive mats, especially if you sell them as raw mats.They bring 10k a stack (of 200), which means easy 30k per hour.
    3. Loot the Hleran Ancestral Tomb near Ald'ruhn every hour. Takes 2-5m and you can occasionally find furniture plans worth 50k+.
    4. Don't spend. Anyone who got rich in-game can tell you that a huge part of it was not spending your gold willy-nilly.

Like I said, you have to go out of your way to make money. If you just play casually, you'll be stufck between 10k-100k forever.
    Edited by Vimora on September 27, 2017 11:53AM
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming materials is the best way to make gold. Even if you are low level refined iron, jute and maple sell for 4 gold each to a npc vendor and double at a guild trader. Flowners pick them all. Columbine, cornflower and ladies smock all bring around 250 each. Making gold in eso is easy you just have to get out there and hustle.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'v rarely got over 300k. Every gp goes into gear upgrades, potions, food etc etc
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're just looking for quick gold, then stealing stuff and fencing it can make you a reasonable amount of gold. If you want to make a lot of gold at once, but with higher risk, then you can farm some of the more expensive motifs (like Mazzatun). Farming raw mats isn't what it used to be, don't listen to the people going on about 100k/h, you used to be able to get may 20-40k/h but now prices have dropped from over farming and it really isn't worth the time anymore.

The most important thing to remember if you want to make money: Don't spend it. I'm sitting at 5mil because I try to not buy anything if I can avoid it. And if I absolutely have to buy something I check every guild store in Tamriel to find the lowest price.

A Septim saved is a Septim earned.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quest and I vendor a lot. I only massed about $500k, but really that’s more than I ever need.
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    I can say that I don't heavy farm. I mostly quest, though I do a lot of quests in a fairly short amount of time because I know the game. On the other hand, I spend about an hour and a half every day doing 13 characters worth of crafting writs. The end result is somewhere along the line of 4k/day per character in gold, as well as recipes that I can use on other characters who haven't learned them all and surveys for getting more crafting mats. I might spend 5k a week on additional mats, for those that I don't get just through doing questing and surveys, but I also end up donating very large amounts of crafting mats of other types to my guild. Even with that, I'm banking about 300k a week without trouble after other expenses (like my daily furnishing recipe and weekly motif for my main crafter). And that's before I happen upon a motif that I already know and thus can sell, or the high priced recipe that falls into my hands because I happen to run across a decent chest. Questing and dailies like crafting or undaunted delves (single player ones) are good sources of money. If you want more than that, you can also get motifs easily by doing covetous countess quests for thieves' guilds (which merely requires a lot of theft), and still have a lot of things you can fence and save.

Alassirana
    Edited by silvermistktralasub17_ESO on September 27, 2017 12:16PM
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A level 50 character will be making more money than a level 10 character, just because the value of junk you get from enemies scales. If you are low level, stealing from containers is the best way to start. If you find yourself hitting the cap of fenced items per day, try to only fence items that are green or rarer.

Once you're a higher level, go to some public dungeons with lots of humanoids or undead, because they drop gold. Make sure to empty your bags as much as you can before you go so you can loot lots of junk gear. I sell white items and jewelry to NPCs and deconstruct everything else.

Sometimes you'll get some set pieces actually worth some gold on the market, but it's best to use an addon like Tamriel Trade Centre to keep track for you. Be sure to join a trader guild so you can sell stuff!

ZOS got rid of the prosperous trait, but there's still impenetrable, so get a set with that trait and you'll be saving money by not having to repair.

Also, a great way to save gold is to craft your own stuff. I make my own food, gear, potions, everything. Make a dedicated crafter and do the crafting dailies every single day.
    Edited by SisterGoat on September 27, 2017 12:43PM
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing the game is a great way to make gold. Of course not spending it is another great way to increase ones gold.

Getting motifs and selling them, especially the more recent motifs is a solid source of income.
    Theiving
    and just running lots of quests.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Started Morrowind with about 1.5m of value on my account, and now nearly about 100m in value.

As poster said above I just farmed BA motifs mostly, sold those forever
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    I am max lvl provisioning and the amount of gold I had was really low. I have the passive that lets you craft and extra food item for free. I made 2 stacks of the low lvl food. I sold a stack of 50 through one of my guilds then sold the rest to the NPC. Yeah it's only like 1k but since I had the mats sitting and not doing anything it was easy enough to sell it.

Intricate sell well about 200 gold each

When I do dungion I pick up everything I can, drinks and armour and stuff like that. There is a better chance that you can get some gold off them to sell to an NPC.

Fishing can make money, the reason being is people don't want to fish. I sell them in stacks of 100. I don't fillet the fish I sell it as is. Since I'm working towards my fishing achievement anyway it's win win for me.

As for furniture I find lights and rugs sell the best, I do own a number of houses most of them bought with selling fish lol.

I pick pockets, I do pretty well considering my main isn't even a member of the thieves guild.

As for housing yeah it can be a gold dump if your not careful. I did buy one house with crowns furnished and spread that furniture around to other houses I have.

Just remember everything has value to someone...

There is SO much about this game I haven't seen or done yet & I'm talking base game stuff not even the DLC things...lol

But remember to have fun if your not having fun then why play?
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing daily pledges and crafting is pretty much my main income source right now, doing both will get you between 8-9k every day. I also like to do the daily anchors and the daily quest from Balrog (not sure about his name) or even the mage dailies, they are usually done pretty quick and the items you get from them can be sold for a good price at a vendor so thats another 2-4k depending on what items you get each day.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make about 100K , give or take couple thousand leveling a chracter to 50 just selling everything I Ioot to a vendor.

That involves no guild trader or selling anything in chat.

Selling on a guild trader is icing on the cake. I have easily made over a million and I am not a hard core trader by any stretch of the imagination. Selling Gear I get while farming mats/ PVP gear I get while PVPing. Selling master writ rewards.

If you really want to make millions upon millions you must study prices. Understand what is being under sold. Buy it and sell it a market value. There is no secret to this process. Sometimes selling something at market value only nets you a small profit of 100 gold, but doing this process over and over again is how you make big money in this game.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • THWIP71
    THWIP71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently have 1.1 million, and that's after purchasing 2 homes @ 1+ million gold each, and regularly giving my wife 100-200k, just cuz. Getting gold isn't the problem....finding something worth buying that's not grossly overpriced is the problem. I don't care if I've got gold coming our my ears, I'm not paying 100k or more for any 1 thing.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of players who sell stacks ( 200 ) of crafting mats. I sell in stacks ( 15 ). They sell pretty fast. A lot of players do not have the gold to buy a large stack. Sell small ( not price but stack size ).

Also collect all flowers. You would be amazed how many players do not want to farm plants. Again sell in small stacks, I sell in stacks of 20 -25.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crafting writs