The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solar Barrage

Metafae
Metafae
✭✭✭✭✭
I've logged on and tried this skill after seeing its changes in the patch notes. In short, you're changing a costly good skill into a costly useless skill.

But let me explain myself. This skill previously was quite good in what it did, sure it had some clunkiness in the way it was cast but that was a minor issue, same thing happens with other skills like healing ward or necrotic orbs.

The new version of this skill now has the same cast time as dark flare, meaning you stand still for over 1 second before the first tick of damage comes, this essentially makes it highly undesirable.

I suggest removing the cast time. Remove the empower buff from the skill. Increase the duration to 8 seconds. This would make it an amazing skill and competitive with dark flare.

Make minor adjustments to its damage and cost. Templars are in a tough spot right now. Dealing with this skill the right way may help a lot.
  • Latin
    Latin
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at it yesterday, I agree with your assertion that the skill is still rather undesirable due to its cast time.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metafae wrote: »
    I've logged on and tried this skill after seeing its changes in the patch notes. In short, you're changing a costly good skill into a costly useless skill.

But let me explain myself. This skill previously was quite good in what it did, sure it had some clunkiness in the way it was cast but that was a minor issue, same thing happens with other skills like healing ward or necrotic orbs.

The new version of this skill now has the same cast time as dark flare, meaning you stand still for over 1 second before the first tick of damage comes, this essentially makes it highly undesirable.

I suggest removing the cast time. Remove the empower buff from the skill. Increase the duration to 8 seconds. This would make it an amazing skill and competitive with dark flare.

Make minor adjustments to its damage and cost. Templars are in a tough spot right now. Dealing with this skill the right way may help a lot.

And, oh boy, aren't we fed up with that on the majority of our Class Skill arsenal? :angry:
    Edited by Idinuse on September 21, 2017 4:16AM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nearly all skills with casttime are complete useless. They are not flexible enough, that you able to find enough situations to use them. Together with that, there are a lot of better one without casttime. So again "GOOD JOB" to nerf templar more and more. But this really doesnt matter, the skill was useless before and now its just total useless :p>:)
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeHei wrote: »
    Nearly all skills with casttime are complete useless. They are not flexible enough, that you able to find enough situations to use them. Together with that, there are a lot of better one without casttime. So again "GOOD JOB" to nerf templar more and more. But this really doesnt matter, the skill was useless before and now its just total useless :p>:)

I kind of agree with that part. It was useless before, though if it was a cheap skill I'd love to use it, it just never was.

Now with the cast time its basically made it not worth my time.

It would have been interesting to have it act like the Scamp Pet's pulse but cast on self and magic damage instead of shock.

But knowing ZoS, having skills too closely similar in behavior is just a no-no. Not unique enough. I get it though.
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an idea to package it in a unique way:

Have it pulse exactly 5 times over 8 seconds.
    Instant cast.

Ticks of damage go like this:
    • 0s - 100% damage
    • 2s - 75% damage
    • 4s - 50% damage
    • 6s - 25% damage
    • 8s - 250% damage

The total is as if it just did 100% each pulse, but it stores that damage up to the last pulse which encourages the user to let it run through to the end.

It could be interesting to add a bonus effect on the final pulse too, but I don't want to get greedy.

This would have use it both pve and pvp. As it provides consistent dps in pve and allows for burst in pvp.

Edit:

I think and interesting bonus for final pulse could be restore x magicka per enemy hit by final pulse? We all know Templars need sustain help.
    Edited by Metafae on September 23, 2017 4:02AM
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Instant cast.

• 0s - 100% damage
    • 2s - 75% damage
    • 4s - 50% damage
    • 6s - 25% damage
    • 8s - 250% damage

The total is as if it just did 100% each pulse, but it stores that damage up to the last pulse which encourages the user to let it run through to the end.

It could be interesting to add a bonus effect on the final pulse too, but I don't want to get greedy.

This would have use it both pve and pvp. As it provides consistent dps in pve and allows for burst in pvp.

Edit:

I think and interesting bonus for final pulse could be restore x magicka per enemy hit by final pulse? We all know Templars need sustain help.

There could be changes in some ways to resurrect this skill, but i dont think so... next change we see in 1 year or something like that.

We can be happy, as more worse as is actually is it cant be!
    They should change it to an empty slot... will nothing change for playing templar... In both ways we can hope for some kind of buffs... but a buff of 0% is maybe just 10% and also useless!
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Instant cast.

• 0s - 100% damage
    • 2s - 75% damage
    • 4s - 50% damage
    • 6s - 25% damage
    • 8s - 250% damage

Edit:

There could be changes in some ways to resurrect this skill, but i dont think so... next change we see in 1 year or something like that.

They should change it to an empty slot... will nothing change for playing templar... In both ways we can hope for some kind of buffs... but a buff of 0% is maybe just 10% and also useless!

Then it should restore stamina on final. Why? Coz dk already have skill that restore mana, and templar have no skill for stamina return while already have 3 skills for mana return. The more enemies you hit with aoe the more stamina you get, remove cast time, empower and if it sound too OP - make it proc two times instead of three.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Instant cast.

• 0s - 100% damage
    • 2s - 75% damage
    • 4s - 50% damage
    • 6s - 25% damage
    • 8s - 250% damage

Edit:

Then it should restore stamina on final. Why? Coz dk already have skill that restore mana, and templar have no skill for stamina return while already have 3 skills for mana return. The more enemies you hit with aoe the more stamina you get, remove cast time, empower and if it sound too OP - make it proc two times instead of three.

Mate i dont speak about some kind of sustainchanges... Good templar really dont need more sustain... this isnt one of the templarproblems. Staminarestore would be ok, but why?
    We need better damageoptions and we have enough areadamage, we dont need more of that! Some useful singletargetskills are much more important.
    Edited by DeHei on September 23, 2017 10:29AM
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, It was based on Metafae suggestion about mana restore. As you mentioned skill was crap and after change it still will be crap, so I thinking how to make it more usefull. All classes have stamina restore ability, all beside Templar and Solar Barrage was and will be aoe dd skill coz other morph of it is already single target damage ability. But in case of Barrage - it is useless aoe ability. Making it some kind of aoe that as good as dk's Essence Draw would make it strong and could give Templars option to either choose Shards or Barrage in pvp or both at once for aoe burn. Shards can only support others, while Barrage could support own caster.
    Edited by Cinbri on September 23, 2017 11:17AM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you guys are overlooking the skill. It has a cast time yes, but it doesn't snare you. You'll be able to cast it in line of sight situations as well.

One of my favorite things about it is is delay. At 2, 4 and 6 seconds. This lets you cast barrage start the fight wth out wasting any damage.

Cast barrage and cancel with a bane, pol followed by a toppling charge. Jab weave into empowering sweep or dawn breaker. You'll have 4 sources of damage ticking on top of your jabs not to mention the burst with your ultimate up front and pol to follow. Add in skoria or groth... it'll be guuud. I already use this combo to great effect without the added damage.

With the cast time it will make it more difficult to keep up, but 1 stun or if the opponent backs off to recover are always going to occur. If they remove the cast time it 100%has a spot on my bar. Might have to run rattle or spell power pots. Degeneration will prob be the one leaving me.

Of course we all have to go destro with the new staff, so dw destro it is. 100%up time on those status effects is NUTS for pvp.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you guys are overlooking the skill. It has a cast time yes, but it doesn't snare you. You'll be able to cast it in line of sight situations as well.

One of my favorite things about it is is delay. At 2, 4 and 6 seconds. This lets you cast barrage start the fight wth out wasting any damage.

Cast barrage and cancel with a bane, pol followed by a toppling charge. Jab weave into empowering sweep or dawn breaker. You'll have 4 sources of damage ticking on top of your jabs not to mention the burst with your ultimate up front and pol to follow. Add in skoria or groth... it'll be guuud. I already use this combo to great effect without the added damage.

With the cast time it will make it more difficult to keep up, but 1 stun or if the opponent backs off to recover are always going to occur. If they remove the cast time it 100%has a spot on my bar. Might have to run rattle or spell power pots. Degeneration will prob be the one leaving me.

Of course we all have to go destro with the new staff, so dw destro it is. 100%up time on those status effects is NUTS for pvp.

Just no... that will not work just because of the 1 seconds casttime. Instantcasts just dont need to compare it with there damage, you can do an instantcast and a weaponattack in same time you need to cast this crap. Templar have allready 3 very good aoe damage effects. No need for 1 more, so pls change it into something we need:
    A hard aoe CC without damage or something with aoe root effect with low damage or a good single target spell with CC, BUT pls without any casttime. Casttime is allways a nogo in PvP and not flexible for damage in PvE. When this skill should become useful anytime with casttime, the damage must be much higher!
    Edited by DeHei on September 23, 2017 12:53PM
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It just needs the cast time removed.

Also, the first tick of damage is at the 2 second mark after the one-second cast time. So you are waiting 3 seconds before the first tick of damage.

I would also say that the skill IS better than the current live one, since you are getting the same damage 3X for the same cost. It's the cast time that kills it.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Also, the first tick of damage is at the 2 second mark after the one-second cast time. So you are waiting 3 seconds before the first tick of damage.

I would also say that the skill IS better than the current live one, since you are getting the same damage 3X for the same cost. It's the cast time that kills it.

With no casttime, the damage will also be too low. No reason to use this skill!
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's delayed damage. That's the reason to use this skill. Whether it's good enough to warrant a place on one's skill bar is another matter, but if someone had the space for it, it would be used in PvP.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

It's delayed damage. That's the reason to use this skill. Whether it's good enough to warrant a place on one's skill bar is another matter, but if someone had the space for it, it would be used in PvP.

this argument with delaying damage doesnt convince me... My dots all scale higher then this and i dont need cast them 1 sec...
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is extra value in it being PBAoE, so I am ok with the damage not being as high as Blazing Spear (although it is really close to BS including Burning Light for overall DPS) or WoE.

I wouldn't mind seeing an extra pulse on cast though. Right now it starts at the 2 second mark, then 4s, then 6s. I would like to see 0s, 2s, 4s, 6s.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just no... that will not work just because of the 1 seconds casttime. Instantcasts just dont need to compare it with there damage, you can do an instantcast and a weaponattack in same time you need to cast this crap. Templar have allready 3 very good aoe damage effects. No need for 1 more, so pls change it into something we need:
    A hard aoe CC without damage or something with aoe root effect with low damage or a good single target spell with CC, BUT pls without any casttime. Casttime is allways a nogo in PvP and not flexible for damage in PvE. When this skill should become useful anytime with casttime, the damage must be much higher!

Turn a corner and cast. I've anyone would love this it should be you @DeHei. It will complement a overwhelming surge build incredibly. Surge, blockade, vamp bane, pol. Isn't that what you do? Add another stacked damage source. Sweet.

You're right though, the cast time will be tough to keep up constantly if you can't get a moment alone. Typically with mist that is very easy to do though.

I'd love the cast time removed.

Either way, we need a hard cc through block like every other class has.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Turn a corner and cast. I've anyone would love this it should be you @DeHei. It will complement a overwhelming surge build incredibly. Surge, blockade, vamp bane, pol. Isn't that what you do? Add another stacked damage source. Sweet.

You're right though, the cast time will be tough to keep up constantly if you can't get a moment alone. Typically with mist that is very easy to do though.

I dont would know, which skill i unslot for this. When it would bring me more benefits then a small damage, i would be happy. But damage is low and it has no other effect. Every skill of my build gives me 2 or more effects in some way. This more damage effect for next attack isnt a good one in my eyes....
    Edited by DeHei on September 23, 2017 3:14PM
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont would know, which skill i unslot for this. When it would bring me more benefits then a small damage, i would be happy. But damage is low and it has no other effect. Every skill of my build gives me 2 or more effects in some way. This more damage effect for next attack isnt a good one in my eyes....

The empower is useless on a dot build. Templars literally have 1 spell worth empowering and it's the other morph lol...
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The empower is useless on a dot build. Templars literally have 1 spell worth empowering and it's the other morph lol...

The skill allways gives the empower buff... but this dont makes it much better...
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The skill allways gives the empower buff... but this dont makes it much better...

I know, I'm saying Templars don't have skills worth empowering. Unless it's dark flare.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, I'm saying Templars don't have skills worth empowering. Unless it's dark flare.

ah right. I agree. I would prefer 10% or 20% damagebuffs B)
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fire staff heavy attack+Ultimates are the only skills worth saving the emower for. Dark flare better synergies with this.

With 1 second cast time, it means the spell will have consistent use on starting attacks, but because it is melee range I can see crushing shock locking your burst down. It's better to use the new eclipse over this spell because that spell is instant cast, though it does hardly any burst dmg.

To practice this spells cast time effectiveness, try using dark flare on live and rushing in for melee. Then try to los and recast; you'll find yourself wanting what unstable core on live gives you since that essentially is what the new solar barrage is on pts DMG wise.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Fire staff heavy attack+Ultimates are the only skills worth saving the emower for. Dark flare better synergies with this.

With 1 second cast time, it means the spell will have consistent use on starting attacks, but because it is melee range I can see crushing shock locking your burst down. It's better to use the new eclipse over this spell because that spell is instant cast, though it does hardly any burst dmg.

To practice this spells cast time effectiveness, try using dark flare on live and rushing in for melee. Then try to los and recast; you'll find yourself wanting what unstable core on live gives you since that essentially is what the new solar barrage is on pts DMG wise.

What numbers are you seeing with what gear set up? Any idea on what cp it's scaling with?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What numbers are you seeing with what gear set up? Any idea on what cp it's scaling with?

9k crits on pve. 5k roughly normal DMG. Includes both reflects and burst. The reflect seemed to crit more than the final burst. In PvP, before mitigation, I can see each reflect doing 2.5k DMG and crit for 5k. Then another burst for 2.5k. because it's instant cast you can quickly hit an enemy when you need them to take the spell.

Only problem is the aoe DMG won't be cast on immunity enemies which cause now mag drain. Which impacts this severely. But they are both still niche spells on pts. If I see the solar barrage aoe, I'll probably try to immobilize you or kite till its done. Then while you are trying to recast, I'll lay down pur lght+jabs+debuffs+ultimate +silence cc to deny you the opener. You'll be in the defensive instead of recasting .
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

9k crits on pve. 5k roughly normal DMG. Includes both reflects and burst. The reflect seemed to crit more than the final burst. In PvP, before mitigation, I can see each reflect doing 2.5k DMG and crit for 5k. Then another burst for 2.5k. because it's instant cast you can quickly hit an enemy when you need them to take the spell.

Only problem is the aoe DMG won't be cast on immunity enemies which cause now mag drain. Which impacts this severely. But they are both still niche spells on pts. If I see the solar barrage aoe, I'll probably try to immobilize you or kite till its done. Then while you are trying to recast, I'll lay down pur lght+jabs+debuffs+ultimate +silence cc to deny you the opener. You'll be in the defensive instead of recasting .

Im talking about solar barrage, not eclipse. Are you?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im talking about solar barrage, not eclipse. Are you?

DMG wise, eclipse.

For that solar barrage, it's roughly 2k per tick with 3 ticks. Total of 6 k DMG but 1 second cast time that you can be cc'd in and have to get in range. And you'll still subject to immobilze spells. Can you cast mist form after you cast solar barrage? If not, good luck against DKs or ranged immobilze; forward momentum would be better for this spell.

Compared to 2.5 k per reflect+ 2.5k final DMG means unstable core on pts would be better, assuming the enemy will hit you a couple of times. Because of the instant cast, you can choose when to apply it but because of the cc immunity forcing the spell to never take effect it's unreliable. Edit: 3 reflects of UC will exceed 3 ticks of solar barrage.

I can see issues for both, but without reliability, these spells will be dropped in favor of other spells.
    Edited by Minno on September 23, 2017 6:35PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Metafae
    Metafae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree, this new version of Solar Barrage is not very useful at all. I do hope they try some more adjustments to it before going live. But it is no big loss if it goes live with how they have changed it. It's not like anyone was using it before.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For that solar barrage, it's roughly 2k per tick with 3 ticks. Total of 6 k DMG but 1 second cast time that you can be cc'd in and have to get in range. And you'll still subject to immobilze spells. Can you cast mist form after you cast solar barrage? If not, good luck against DKs or ranged immobilze; forward momentum would be better for this spell.

Compared to 2.5 k per reflect+ 2.5k final DMG means unstable core on pts would be better, assuming the enemy will hit you a couple of times. Because of the instant cast, you can choose when to apply it but because of the cc immunity forcing the spell to never take effect it's unreliable. Edit: 3 reflects of UC will exceed 3 ticks of solar barrage.

I can see issues for both, but without reliability, these spells will be dropped in favor of other spells.

zgfq5yuwet6k.png

That's in heavy armor without Wrath stacks, not even full dmg gear.

It also procs Skoria based on my tests.

What you can do with it is combine it with both Unstable Core (explosion deals same dmg as one Barrage tick) & Purifying Light as well as Soul Assault for some disgusting damage.

I think people are writing this skill off too quickly.
    Edited by DDuke on September 23, 2017 7:17PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

zgfq5yuwet6k.png

That's in heavy armor without Wrath stacks, not even full dmg gear.

It also procs Skoria based on my tests.

What you can do with it is combine it with both Unstable Core (explosion deals same dmg as one Barrage tick) & Purifying Light as well as Soul Assault for some disgusting damage.

I think people are writing this skill off too quickly.

What sets are you running? Also, have you tested what cp it's working with?