Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

SNOW ELVES in ESO...

• SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Snow elves have been almost exclusively blind mal-nourished cave-dwellers since the Dwarves disappeared, so definitely not interested.

Now, I would love to play a Nereid for a few reasons. They are good looking and interesting, and, most importantly, they hover off the ground which is so cool to stand and move around that way.

I agree with that, but maybe a polymorph would be a better option. Nereid is a female only race, and we really don't need more female only races in MMORPGs.

Have they been written into lore as female only?
    Is this like dwarves in most fantasy being male only but then they still speak of their females you never see?

How can they be female only when being female by definition requires having a differentiating male gender?
    Could the males look the same also having the "female chest"(anything else would be censored) as in many species where the male and female are difficult to distinguish without inspection?

There are so many reasons that this could be possible and ready to be implemented, but I would settle for a polymorph, so long as it lets us float above the ground also. :smiley:
    I definitely want more customization than just a polymorph though. I want the body and face sliders, mostly the face ones.

That's true about the "female" thing. Perhaps "feminine" is a better choice. And every Nereid we've seen so far is feminine in body, voice, and style. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Bestiary_N#Nereid . I remember reading somewhere about Nereids being a primarily female race, with males being either non-existent or few and far-between. No one's seen a masculine variant so they're believed to not exist. Nereids are also believed to lure only male sailors to shore...Like their real-world counterparts.

Also, like dwarves, female only, but unlike dwarves, they never mention a male counterpart.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Nereid's_Dilemma There's also this poem from the game, but on the flip-side, it's a poem, so yeah.
    Edited by SilverIce58 on August 28, 2017 1:23AM
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
    Options
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    No. They are too rare to become a playable race.

Make the race purchasable with 15k crowns and keep the rarity.

Joking ofc, ZoS. Don't do such a thing.

If you were serious, I'd respond that there are all too many people who would spend this much on a new race, unfortunately for us and fortunately for ZO$
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
    Options
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a related topic.
    I wish we had a personality that was "nereid" maybe. I just want to float above the ground everywhere making fluid flying motions too.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow elves have been almost exclusively blind mal-nourished cave-dwellers since the Dwarves disappeared, so definitely not interested.

Now, I would love to play a Nereid for a few reasons. They are good looking and interesting, and, most importantly, they hover off the ground which is so cool to stand and move around that way.

Best of all, you'd be immune to ground based AoEs... because that makes sense somehow. :p
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    mb10 wrote: »
    IF we were to get a new race, and for now that's a big if, it'd most likely be Maormer or Reachmen. The two are already in the game, with character models and while the Maormer's racial motif is mostly a sleeveless version of Ancient Elf, the Reachmen would be given a new one (or make Barbaric into theirs). Races like "Snow Elf" and "Dwemer" have been MIA since the 1st Era and before, so lore-wise, it wouldn't make much sense. (Also, Maormer is more likely than Reachmen, as Reachmen would just be a stam version of Breton)

Reachmen arent a race, theyre mostly Nords.

Mostly Bretons. There's some Nord mixed in.

There's some of everything mixed in tbh
    Do they qualify as race in elder scroll however?
    Should probably work to add them but see them as an long shot here.

Maormer is an race and no issue adding them
    Another Khajiit type mostly the Ohmes-raht would also work well.

Think its depend on the next chapter: Elsweyr and they should have more khajiit types, having another playable one would be nice.
    Sumerset isles, Maormer if this includes some of their islands.

Skyrim areas: Reachmen, would be a bit pointless with an race with no homeland at all.

There've been four or five playable Khajiit breeds in the games. I could certainly go for more of those being available in the future.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say what I've said before, "you're not the first person to suggest it. You won't be the last. It's still a bad idea."

Also, yeah, the thread I linked was comments that have popped up repeatedly on the forums. So... no, I never asked for playable snow elves. I've certainly seen the request before, enough times, though.

neither have I.

Technically you asked:
    Should snow elves be added into ESO in the future?

No, they should not. At least not as a playable race. You're correct that you didn't specifically ask to play one, but that's an academic distinction at this point.

Also, remember, the community has been around for awhile. Longer than your time here, in fact. In that time, a lot of things have been discussed. Trying to bring them up fresh, without doing a search first, will land you feet first into a very old discussion that has been populated by a lot of people who aren't quite rational.
    Options
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say what I've said before, "you're not the first person to suggest it. You won't be the last. It's still a bad idea."

Also, yeah, the thread I linked was comments that have popped up repeatedly on the forums. So... no, I never asked for playable snow elves. I've certainly seen the request before, enough times, though.

neither have I.

Technically you asked:
    Should snow elves be added into ESO in the future?

No, they should not. At least not as a playable race. You're correct that you didn't specifically ask to play one, but that's an academic distinction at this point.

Also, remember, the community has been around for awhile. Longer than your time here, in fact. In that time, a lot of things have been discussed. Trying to bring them up fresh, without doing a search first, will land you feet first into a very old discussion that has been populated by a lot of people who aren't quite rational.

@starkerealm Right, and assuming just because I only have five stars under my name that I am "NEW" to this forum is a huge mistake. I have been here since the beginning. So before YOU assume anything about me. How about we both chalk this up as a miss understanding and I won't assume that since you have 10 stars under your name that you don't have a life.

Once again, don't come for me and I won't come for you.

Thanks.
    Edited by Thealteregoroman on August 28, 2017 2:49AM
    ****Master Healer...****
    Options
  • jcf190b14_ESO
    jcf190b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    They're aesthetically identical to playable elves (with slightly different skin tones). If you want to RP a snow elf, there's nothing stopping you.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, and assuming just because I only have five stars under my name that I am "NEW" to this forum is a huge mistake.

No, I was basing that off your willingness to open up this can of worms again. I know (and knew before I posted) that you registered your account in 2015.

And this has come up a bunch of times.
    I have been here since the beginning. So before YOU assume anything about me. How about we both chalk this up as a miss understanding and I won't assume that since you have 10 stars under your name that you don't have a life.

No, that's actually a pretty fair assessment. I work at this system, which means on any given day, I'm going to be in front of it for most of the day anyway. And a fair amount of that is downtime. But, I can't just wander off and amuse myself, so here we are. What I'm doing here on a Sunday night is anyone's guess, but I've still got deadlines for work on Monday.

Meh. For that to work, you've got to be able to actually hit a nerve, and do so without being transparently insulting.

Trust me, there's a huge difference between, "yeah, this discussion is ongoing," and, "you have no life, lolz!" I mean, if you can get away with the latter, more power to you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

And, yes, the entire Snow Elf thing has been going on since launch in 2014. It may have even been on the beta forums as well, you'd have to ask someone who actually hung out on the boards back then. (I didn't spend much time on here before launch.)
    Thanks.

No problem.
    Options
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, and assuming just because I only have five stars under my name that I am "NEW" to this forum is a huge mistake.

No, I was basing that off your willingness to open up this can of worms again. I know (and knew before I posted) that you registered your account in 2015.

And this has come up a bunch of times.
    I have been here since the beginning. So before YOU assume anything about me. How about we both chalk this up as a miss understanding and I won't assume that since you have 10 stars under your name that you don't have a life.

No, that's actually a pretty fair assessment. I work at this system, which means on any given day, I'm going to be in front of it for most of the day anyway. And a fair amount of that is downtime. But, I can't just wander off and amuse myself, so here we are. What I'm doing here on a Sunday night is anyone's guess, but I've still got deadlines for work on Monday.

Meh. For that to work, you've got to be able to actually hit a nerve, and do so without being transparently insulting.

Trust me, there's a huge difference between, "yeah, this discussion is ongoing," and, "you have no life, lolz!" I mean, if you can get away with the latter, more power to you, but I wouldn't recommend it.

And, yes, the entire Snow Elf thing has been going on since launch in 2014. It may have even been on the beta forums as well, you'd have to ask someone who actually hung out on the boards back then. (I didn't spend much time on here before launch.)
    Thanks.

No problem.

giphy.gif

I went ahead and blocked you.
    ****Master Healer...****
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're aesthetically identical to playable elves (with slightly different skin tones). If you want to RP a snow elf, there's nothing stopping you.

Oh god, if there's one thing... other than ERP, that gets me to crawl up the wall, it's RPers who need to make their character, "the last of their kind," or something similar in order to feel like they have someone unique.

To be fair, a lot of that really comes down to the way most of them will then engage in constant angsting, as part of their character.

And, yeah there is a story behind this. I remember getting into a PUG a couple years back where two members were RPers, who were running in character, and would stop because one of them would whine incessantly, every fifteen feet. In that case, "last of her bloodline," not last member of her species, but, close enough. And I have run across people RPing, "last of their race," routines before. Just... ugh.
    Options
  • StrawberryKitsune
    StrawberryKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    As with the other thread the other day about Lilmothiit here is my opinion on the matter. While the lore may not be favorable towards new races, with their business model moving towards yearly "chapters" they need to make these stand out above the usual DLC. For example part of this was the introduction of the Warden class. It is not unreasonable to assume that they might then look to races to continue monetising these chapters once they've exhausted class introduction options. You want an Altmer themed chapter? Here have Maormer. You want a Skyrim chapter? Here have snow elves. If money can be made off these things, despite what the lore says, I simply wouldn't rule anything out. As seen with the regularity of these types of threads. People will pay for new races for sure. That's just my, somewhat cynical, 2 pennies worth though.
    Options
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow elves do not exist in ESO. Any that may still exist are in exile outside of Nirn. Snow elves and the regressed Falmer have not been playable in any TES games to the best of my limited knowledge. It is highly doubtful they will become so in ESO.

They dissapeared during the Battle of the Red Mountain, so none exist currently, or at least to our knowledge.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
    Options
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Right and since we are at it I would love to also be able to chose my Khajiit-Breed type. cuz having every1 Cathay by basic is meh.i want my kitties to be Cathay-Raht!

GYBGYLB.jpg
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you start a new character as a snow elf? Should snow elves be added into ESO in the future?
    No, snow elves should not be added, since they died out (mostly) long before the events of ESO.

Maormer on the other hand are almost as good, if with lightning flavor instead of ice flavor... and going strong in that era, as anyone playing through the AD storyline will know. I totally would make a tall, lanky but skinny maormer stormcaller with a wide grin, makeup and green dyed hair wearing purple, green and orange robes, just for those who get the joke... ;)

As for the ice flavor, well, that would fit well with Reachmen if you recall some bits from the Orsinium quests. Sure, some say the reachmen are just bretons... but then, some say bretons and redguards and imperials are all humans, and yet they do have some difference... so it would be quite plausible for reachmen to have slight differences from bretons. And that is for ZOS to decide... just saying, it would be very little effort for them to add Reachmen, since pretty much everything is in the game already, from character models to crafting style... all they would need is a set of viable passives, maybe something of a breton/nord mix?
    There are multiple other races I would love to be able to play as. I'd also like options to play as the "bad guys" and that is probably never happening.
    Dark Brotherhood not bad enough for ya? ;)

I mean, yeah, I get what you are saying, it would be nifty to play as "opposing faction" with a completely different storyline... play as dremora or work cultists.
    But that would be an -entirely- different game... even if it could happen in the same universe "Oblivion-Online" characters would have to be kill-on-sight by everyone, from the immortal town guards to every player, everywhere, and thus would need their own safezones and quests and all... it would be an very risky investment to code all that for just those players, so ZOS likely won't go there and instead keep making DLCs they can offer to -everyone-.
    (...though it would make a nifty standalone game, playing as deadric character, venturing into tamriel to avert some danger to oblivion, fight all the monsters and people of the land, with facing adventurer groups as bossfights... ;) )

What I for one would love was more choices. Like with the TG and DB DLCs... not railroading every character down a life of crime, but giving us the option to play through the content from the Iron Wheel or Order of the Hour side, to the same conclusion, just from a different approach. Or in other questlines, also get a choice which side you want to, well, side with.
    maboleth wrote: »
    The point is, it's nothing unusual for some rare Mer to have extremely long lives...
    The average lifespan for an elder scrolls elf, any elf, is still around 300 years.
    But it is true that some, especially powerful wizards or those touched by some divine (or daedric) power, outlive that by dozends of times... as we have seen repeatedly in TES games. But that is for select NPCs... not for player characters. And it seems that theye ageless elves suffer some... uhm... side effects... to their immortality, seeing how the only offspring I recall from them came in the form of magical cloning... ;)
    Eh... not sure Neireids would be all that viable as player race. Not even sure they would be able to get around on dry land without, well, drying up and such - they are -never- encountered far from water after all, and might even be bound to their waters like nature spirits... which certainly would explain a lot about them, don'tcha think?

So, maybe a polymorph for wizards or others who want to go to the witches festival as Nereid, or a nereid outfit costume, but... not very likely as player character...

I stall say Maormer are the best bet for watery elf characters!

One note of interest though - they -could- make some sort of "archmage" / "mystic" / "saint" or whatever personality where you float per levitation spell instead of walk... for those who want to look all cool and magic-ish! That would definitely fit with the lore... (though it should not give any game effect like ground AoE immunity!)
    zaria wrote: »
    mb10 wrote: »
    IF we were to get a new race, and for now that's a big if, it'd most likely be Maormer or Reachmen. The two are already in the game, with character models and while the Maormer's racial motif is mostly a sleeveless version of Ancient Elf, the Reachmen would be given a new one (or make Barbaric into theirs). Races like "Snow Elf" and "Dwemer" have been MIA since the 1st Era and before, so lore-wise, it wouldn't make much sense. (Also, Maormer is more likely than Reachmen, as Reachmen would just be a stam version of Breton)

Reachmen arent a race, theyre mostly Nords.

Mostly Bretons. There's some Nord mixed in.

There's some of everything mixed in tbh
    Do they qualify as race in elder scroll however?
    Should probably work to add them but see them as an long shot here.

Maormer is an race and no issue adding them
    Another Khajiit type mostly the Ohmes-raht would also work well.

Think its depend on the next chapter: Elsweyr and they should have more khajiit types, having another playable one would be nice.
    Sumerset isles, Maormer if this includes some of their islands.

Skyrim areas: Reachmen, would be a bit pointless with an race with no homeland at all.
    The Reach is a region between Wrothgar and Skyrim...
    As you can see on this very, very old, pre-release map of ESO:
    uy2ZTPc.jpg
    ...so reachmen have a homeland (as much as orcs had at launch before wrothgar came eith the Orsinium DLC) and could be added right away on account of their well known (because storyline quests) incursions in regions we already have (Glenumbra, Bangkorai, Wrothgar, Rift) or some other time, with a "The Reach" DLC. As ZOS chooses. And I doubt they would make any decision now - not until they decide if they want to portray them as seperate race in ESO, which they might. (especially since that's mean they could sell another racial unlock in the crown store like imperials, yes? ;) Anything they can sell extra, has better chances of getting made after all!)
    Edited by TheShadowScout on March 3, 2019 8:37PM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you start a new character as a snow elf? Should snow elves be added into ESO in the future?
    No, snow elves should not be added, since they died out (mostly) long before the events of ESO.

Maormer on the other hand are almost as good, if with lightning flavor instead of ice flavor... and going strong in that era, as anyone playing through the AD storyline will know. I totally would make a tall, lanky but skinny maormer stormcaller with a wide grin, makeup and green dyed hair wearing purple, green and orange robes, just for those who get the joke... ;)

Maomer are still a tough sell, but I do agree. If ZOS was going to add another playable race, these guys do seem to be the most likely candidate.
    As for the ice flavor, well, that would fit well with Reachmen if you recall some bits from the Orsinium quests. Sure, some say the reachmen are just bretons... but then, some say bretons and redguards and imperials are all humans, and yet they do have some difference... so it would be quite plausible for reachmen to have slight differences from bretons. And that is for ZOS to decide... just saying, it would be very little effort for them to add Reachmen, since pretty much everything is in the game already, from character models to crafting style... all they would need is a set of viable passives, maybe something of a breton/nord mix?

Minor nitpic, the Bretons, Imperials and Nords are all of Atmoran origin. The Redguards are Yokudan.
    There are multiple other races I would love to be able to play as. I'd also like options to play as the "bad guys" and that is probably never happening.
    Dark Brotherhood not bad enough for ya? ;)

More than that, werewolves and vampires aren't exactly good for the world at large. Both are dangerous monsters that prey on the unsuspecting, even if ESO doesn't really drive that point home.
    maboleth wrote: »
    The point is, it's nothing unusual for some rare Mer to have extremely long lives...
    The average lifespan for an elder scrolls elf, any elf, is still around 300 years.

Another minor detail: Dark Elves (and I assume Maomer, and Bosmer) have a normal lifespan of around 200-300 years. High Elves can live for up to 1k years.
    So, maybe a polymorph for wizards or others who want to go to the witches festival as Nereid, or a nereid outfit costume, but... not very likely as player character...

That would be a pretty cool toy to mess around with.
    I stall say Maormer are the best bet for watery elf characters!

One note of interest though - they -could- make some sort of "archmage" / "mystic" / "saint" or whatever personality where you float per levitation spell instead of walk... for those who want to look all cool and magic-ish! That would definitely fit with the lore... (though it should not give any game effect like ground AoE immunity!)

That would also be something neat to play around with.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow elves do not exist in ESO. Any that may still exist are in exile outside of Nirn. Snow elves and the regressed Falmer have not been playable in any TES games to the best of my limited knowledge. It is highly doubtful they will become so in ESO.

Corrupted Falmer are, basically, unsuitable for play. Same problem with asking to play a Reikling or something similar.

Uncorrupted Snow Elves are vanishingly rare.

To the best of my recollection the only appearance for either is in Skyrim.

Now, if someone released a game set during or immediately after the Allesian slave revolts, then Snow Elves should be on the table for that. However, that would be a game with a radically different race list from what we're used to in TES.
    Options
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never shall there be more than 10 playable races.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
    Options
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maormer - yes please!
    @ElizabethInTamriel; @ElizabethInESO
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maomer are still a tough sell, but I do agree. If ZOS was going to add another playable race, these guys do seem to be the most likely candidate...
    Agreed.

They might be a little iffy as AD character, but not that much moreso then exiled imperials or "AnyRrace-AnyAlliance" cross-faction characters, like a breton playing in EP despite the covenant invasion, or a orc helping bosmer against wood orcs, etc.
    And I could totally see the powers that be add an "optional" race with restrictions as well... like, for example, they could make Maormer as "EP and DC, but not AD unless you have AR-AA" due to the bad blood between sea elves and high elves... or for that matter, Reachmen as "EP and AD, but not DC" due to bad blood between them and the bretons as well as orsimer due to generations of border squabbles... or they could add some Akaviri race and make them "AD and DC, but not EP" due to lingering resentment over the recent invasion, etc.

Either case, I personally would love to see some oif the options come as newly unlockable race... if I was ZOS, I'd test the waters with the currently non-playable but lore-viable humanoid races already in the game with their own crafting styles (Maormer, Reachmen, Gobbos), and if those sold well enough to justify more investment... think about adding some more (Akaviri races, Imga, maaaaaybe even some "last survivor" of Kothringi and Lilmothiit, though I personally find "last of their kind" type of characters somewhat cringeworthy myself...)
    Sez who?

In the beginning of elder scrolls gaming, there have been eight playable races. TES:Battlespire had six. With TES:III-Morrowind, and onward, there were ten.

There are more races in tamriel yet... so, enlighten us... who are you to say the powers that be might not choose to make a couple more of them playable in the future? After all, the power to expand on what is generally IS part of what they do when they play with a established (and licensed) universe, yes?

I mean, this IS sort of like saying "Never shall there be a region of Tamriel we did not have in any prior game..." and we got past that already... ;)
    Options
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sload! We should all get to play as the Sload! It'd be really popular, too! ;)
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
    Options
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    100% yes. There are alot of races id like to see in eso.
    Edited by eso_lags on August 29, 2017 7:40AM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maomer are still a tough sell, but I do agree. If ZOS was going to add another playable race, these guys do seem to be the most likely candidate...
    Agreed.

They might be a little iffy as AD character, but not that much moreso then exiled imperials or "AnyRrace-AnyAlliance" cross-faction characters, like a breton playing in EP despite the covenant invasion, or a orc helping bosmer against wood orcs, etc.

Any-Race-Any-Alliance makes more sense when you remember that the provinces aren't exclusively one race. Usually the population runs around 75-90% the native race, with another 10-25% who are one of the other races. So, you're more likely to see a Breton in Wayrest, than a Dark Elf, or Bosmer, but you will find them living there if you wander around enough.

So, ARAA let you pick out of faction, while still pushing you towards the native population distribution. Or at least, it did, until One Tamriel (or hitting silver and gold zones, where things got weird.)
    And I could totally see the powers that be add an "optional" race with restrictions as well... like, for example, they could make Maormer as "EP and DC, but not AD unless you have AR-AA" due to the bad blood between sea elves and high elves... or for that matter, Reachmen as "EP and AD, but not DC" due to bad blood between them and the bretons as well as orsimer due to generations of border squabbles... or they could add some Akaviri race and make them "AD and DC, but not EP" due to lingering resentment over the recent invasion, etc.

It's an interesting idea, though the Reachmen are probably a bad example. It's worth remembering that The Reach is actually a hold in Skyrim, and the Reachmen are equally hostile to the Bretons and Nords.
    Either case, I personally would love to see some oif the options come as newly unlockable race... if I was ZOS, I'd test the waters with the currently non-playable but lore-viable humanoid races already in the game with their own crafting styles (Maormer, Reachmen, Gobbos), and if those sold well enough to justify more investment... think about adding some more (Akaviri races, Imga, maaaaaybe even some "last survivor" of Kothringi and Lilmothiit, though I personally find "last of their kind" type of characters somewhat cringeworthy myself...)

My only issue here is finding races that fit with the setting, and the lore. Which does limit the pool significantly. I mean, a game set in 1e260, where there's no Dunmer, the Chimer, Dwemer and Falmer are still around... that could be really cool. Unfortunately that falls well outside the scope of ESO.

EDIT: So far as it goes, I'd be happy with a game set at the end of the 4th Era, when the Dwarves have returned and are trying to conquer Tamriel from their airships, with playable (Uncorrupted) Falmer colonies that have been discovered. That'd be weird and messed up, but it wouldn't screw up the existing timeline.
    Sez who?

In the beginning of elder scrolls gaming, there have been eight playable races. TES:Battlespire had six. With TES:III-Morrowind, and onward, there were ten.

There are more races in tamriel yet... so, enlighten us... who are you to say the powers that be might not choose to make a couple more of them playable in the future? After all, the power to expand on what is generally IS part of what they do when they play with a established (and licensed) universe, yes?

I mean, this IS sort of like saying "Never shall there be a region of Tamriel we did not have in any prior game..." and we got past that already... ;)

To be fair, Bethesda (yeah, not ZOS, but BGS) is really big on traditions. "Every Elder Scrolls game starts with you as a nameless prisoner." Except that's not true. Your character in Daggerfall is a shipwreck survivor. "Every Fallout game needs to start you in a vault." Except, aside from the first game, the only ones where you're a vault resident are the Bethesda games.

This, in turn results in people thinking that, "because it's this way now, it must have always been that way." Which results in posts like, "TES is supposed to be class-less," when Nightblades and Sorcs are explicitly classes from the single player games, and the only TES games without a class based character creation system were Skyrim and (arguably) Redguard.

Redguard also breaks the nameless prisoner rule, because, well, Cyrus has a name, and is always a Redguard.
    Edited by starkerealm on August 29, 2017 7:55AM
    Options
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly a good way to add in Maormer, Reachmen, and either akaviri or a Naga race, (if murkmire comes out soon), would be to have like an anti alliance dlc or something like that. I'm not saying put those three races in their own alliance, I'm saying put them like the imperials as a race that's not bound to any alliance.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
    Options
  • DeathDrake2468
    DeathDrake2468
    Soul Shriven
    What about Lilmothiit as a new race?
    Options
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice necro.
    Options
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i remember correctly snow elves are from the 1st era, eso is set in the 2nd so i dont think it would work lore wise, but i love the idea of more races and classes
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be really neat but there would have to be a hidden village in the mountains and there would have to be some hint towards an inevitable collapse. Maybe they were bred out of existence by intergrating themselves as pale high elves by the time of skyrim. If they were introduced in eso maybe the village is shrouded in a blizzard vale. If the reach was added as a chapter id like to see reachmen and snow elves as playable races. Reachmen being a reverse dark elf focusing on a bit of magic but having bonuses to a lot of stamina related things or something.

And id give bosmer an increase to poison damage too next patch.(It only makes sense!)
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
    Options
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What about Lilmothiit as a new race?

They're dead.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125