The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

About soul assault..

• br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure people who slot this in pvp are expert Xv1ers
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with soul assault is not the damage. And partly not even the cost. As long as you are stamina and you have to block it for 20k stam (block cost + regen). It does not matter what damage it does (up to the point where you stop caring about the damage and do not block it anymore). It does not matter how expensive for them was to steal 20k stam from you (again, up to the point where people stop slotting it because it is not worth it for the cost).

So, unless the blocking mechanics in this game change, soul assault needs to change how it affects blocking.
    1. Less damage ticks. It ticks 8 times now, so it procs maximum possible block cost even in 1v1.
    2. Remove snare and/or make it interruptible. Even with less damage ticks, the snare still forces target to never leave the vicinity of you. And giving everyone 4seconds to arrive and hit him. The only thing (including all CC!) as good as soul assault at keeping targets in the area is Tremorscale.

Sarato wrote: »
    Solariken wrote: »
    SilverWF wrote: »
    This is extremely powerful skill for this cost.

Just compare number at the same character (stam NB) with the same gear and buffs:
    Toxic barrage (bow ult) - 175 cost - 27k channel per 4.1 sec + 20k DOT per 8 sec. Obviously, requires a bow.
    Soul Assault - 100 cost - 32k channel* per 3.5 sec, 70% snare and 2 sec anti-stealth. No special requirements.
    * - Damage numbers from mages would be ~60k channel here.

With nearly 2 times less cost Soul Assault has nearly 1.5 times more damage. This is BS. A damage must be toned down (by ~40% and some debuff removed) or cost increased (up to 200 ult).

Nice analysis but the solution is to buff the bow ult, not nerf soul assault.

Well the Bow Ult is already amazingly strong..

Where did you come to that conclusion. Have you ever used Toxic Barrage?
    Edited by SodanTok on July 20, 2017 12:42PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's only reallyOP against potatoes and, as mentioned, in Xv1 contexts.

The snare could definitely stand to be toned down--on non-sword and board builds, holding block while trying to LOS soul strike is an exercise in frustration.

A little cost bump wouldn't be the end of the world, either, though it wouldn't address the common frustration with the skill.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok people, couple of things:

1st, being a channeled DoT, SAs benefits from at least 50 points into thaum (18.75% extra dmg), that means you MUST use DoTs on your build

2nd, forget about penetration. Any DoT build must achieve 50% crit and that is noticed when using SA. Your crit tick of 4-5K are noticeable (50 points into spell crit)

3rd, there's no better CC support for SAs than flame reach. Period. (oh, it has a DoT too). The knockback implies an enemy not blocking... sure, they can break cc, but it means less block (did I mention that flame staff increase your single target skills like... SAs?)

4th one dot is never enough, you need at least 3. A good trick I use on my DoTblade is to put even 4 DoTs before SA:

Flame Reach -> Entropy -> degeneration (yes, degen over crip grasp) -> Soul trap (started using consuming trap last night and those 2.5k magicka back are nice) -> SAs. You must be quick puting the dots before the enemy get ups after flame reach. Did he blocked SA? No problem, the DoTs are gona do their job. Did he put a shield on him? No Problem, the DoTs are gona take the shield down in les than 3 secs. Did he survived the attack? No problem, put pressure on the enemy by using light attacks ideally a poison is required).

SA is a strong skill in the hands of those who know how to use it
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Just compare number at the same character (stam NB) with the same gear and buffs:
    Toxic barrage (bow ult) - 175 cost - 27k channel per 4.1 sec + 20k DOT per 8 sec. Obviously, requires a bow.
    Soul Assault - 100 cost - 32k channel* per 3.5 sec, 70% snare and 2 sec anti-stealth. No special requirements.

With nearly 2 times less cost Soul Assault has nearly 1.5 times more damage. This is BS. A damage must be toned down (by ~40% and some debuff removed) or cost increased (up to 200 ult).

Ballista is awesome and yes, very strong. But the base morph and Toxic Barrage are hot garbage and should be changed.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ballista is awesome and yes, very strong. But the base morph and Toxic Barrage are hot garbage and should be changed.

I have no problem with a 125 ulti toxic barrage

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    Blocking this on a Stam character drain roughly 20k stam. Meteor 2800ish.

This is the problem right there. Blocking Meteor should be really expensive.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

I miss the times when I cloaked/reflected meteor... =/

Edited by Xvorg on July 20, 2017 5:06PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

looks at EOS... say nope, not in the least. :)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

I miss seeing that...

1st, being a channeled DoT, SAs benefits from at least 50 points into thaum (18.75% extra dmg), that means you MUST use DoTs on your build

2nd, forget about penetration. Any DoT build must achieve 50% crit and that is noticed when using SA. Your crit tick of 4-5K are noticeable (50 points into spell crit)

3rd, there's no better CC support for SAs than flame reach. Period. (oh, it has a DoT too). The knockback implies an enemy not blocking... sure, they can break cc, but it means less block (did I mention that flame staff increase your single target skills like... SAs?)

4th one dot is never enough, you need at least 3. A good trick I use on my DoTblade is to put even 4 DoTs before SA:

Flame Reach -> Entropy -> degeneration (yes, degen over crip grasp) -> Soul trap (started using consuming trap last night and those 2.5k magicka back are nice) -> SAs. You must be quick puting the dots before the enemy get ups after flame reach. Did he blocked SA? No problem, the DoTs are gona do their job. Did he put a shield on him? No Problem, the DoTs are gona take the shield down in les than 3 secs. Did he survived the attack? No problem, put pressure on the enemy by using light attacks ideally a poison is required).

Soul Trap huh? Hrm... I know you can trap any number of Target's... So how's it feeling?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I miss seeing that...

Soul Trap huh? Hrm... I know you can trap any number of Target's... So how's it feeling?

The resources back are quite helpful. And since degen refunds its cost and flame reach also gives you mag back, you end up with almost no res problems (but you need to kill the guy)

The dmg itself is not so big (ticks of 800 aprox) but when you add those ticks to the other ones, the dps is something to consider, average 3K DPS; 6K total per tick without crit, but varies from build to build... slow but certain death.

Regarding the targets, it is hard to affect 2 targets, but when you do, it's nice xD

Oblivion foe seems appealing, but IDK how much DPs will I lose changing my current Julianos for it (spell crit is gonna suffer a lot though).

It's an interesting set up, far, far away from the current "my burst is bigger than yours" in PvP xD

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only times i've ever died to Soul Assault is when 2 or more people used it on me, with a few other ults... Difficult to get out of that. I've also died when I ran out of resources to block (mostly cause there is already a zerg on my ass, and rarely cause I wasted resources trying to take out a tank)
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • i b Apathy
    To all these people saying it isn't OP , they must not pvp on xbox na because Id like any of them to post a video of them surviving a soul assault after getting Hitt with a javalin and a raidiant at the same time ... please post all your links you all mighty players.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul Assault is fine as is IMHO...

Its not at all OP; it locks you into doing nothing else for 3+ seconds...that's crippling against those who know what they are doing.

I don't even bother blocking it; I just heal right through it and typically kill the person who cast it on me.
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I often kill with this skill. That's true.

On the other hand I am very rarely killed with this skill.

Given that I am not a PvP pro, then no - Soul Assault is not OP.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it too strong... No but like Eye, it's another *** ulti that needs to be looked at. It is an intense resource drain against Stam classes, not being able to dodge roll or reliably block it means Los or full on assault is the only option, and you are snared so Los on anything but a sorc or stamBlade is really hard to do. Stam classes cannot really heal through that effectively. They can just shield it and keep going either. They have to block it. And that's a cheap ulti that kills Stam users resources. If it costs less to block, basically like meteor it would be fine.

Also the skill is better for some obviously than others. It's amazing on magplar with purifying light reflective light javelin then start going at em they'll be near dead or dead outright. If not JBEAM. Magblade cripple flame reach do it then execute and or bow proc. MagDK dot em up and go into it. Not as good in a do imo. MagSorc get the burst combo set up... MagWarden fetcher sub assault. There are very lethal ways to use this skill. Very good players former Emps, high ranked pvpers love to use the skill in BG and duels. In open world it's all about destro ult and dawnbreaker. But it's extremely strong in duels and BG's. And PvP is not only cyrodil.

As I said it's a *** ulti that has mechanics that really need looking at. Against a magtoons it's normal it's whatever, against Stam toons it's too much if a resource hog. Remove the snare and reduce the hits per cast, leave the damage.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a single target only, an ultimate, and it literally requires you to save the world to obtain it...

It's also not going to kill anyone on its own accord...like ever.

It's very situational, powerful when it is used, and both of those aspects should remain true.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like people got killed by something.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It deals too much dmg/snare for that cost.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a single target only, an ultimate, and it literally requires you to save the world to obtain it...

It's also not going to kill anyone on its own accord...like ever.

It's very situational, powerful when it is used, and both of those aspects should remain true.

Won't kill anyone good by itself, it'll kill plenty of baddies. My tooltip is 86k on it.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i b Apathy wrote: »
    To all these people saying it isn't OP , they must not pvp on xbox na because Id like any of them to post a video of them surviving a soul assault after getting Hitt with a javalin and a raidiant at the same time ... please post all your links you all mighty players.

That's exactly where I play, check out my vids, it's in there.

It's called healing ward
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    problem is that stam toons, the ones that run dry blocking it, have no healing ward.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh its very OP

Needs its ticks reducing to 4 and its snare going at the very least.

also maybe a cost increase.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bow ult is fine.

Soul assault is the one overperforming.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not too strong. I don't use but it's a channeled Ult it should be strong. There are counters to it but it's line of sight and range. This also leaves caster vulnerable to anyone not being targeted and basically makes you a sitting duck.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    At one point in time, Soul Assault could be Cleansed...

Nightblades can break this ability with Cloak...

Any competent Templar (as well as Strongly built Stamina characters) that's not out of Resources will heal through it without much difficulty...

Sorcs can easily shield through it...

Lol counters..?? Sorcs can sheild sure but what about medium? Block and heal?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Tsss...
    I miss playing ping pong with meteors on my DK. xD

But for real. Meteor is really expensive and telegraphed. Blocking it should come at a cost, therefore.
    It's frustrating how little stam it drains when the DoT is a waste, Dawnbreaker hits almost as hard with half the cost and you can prepare for it.
    I have the DoT from DB on me, endure debuffs from Incap and enjoy being thrown from walls by Leap. Meteor should also have a guaranteed secondary benefit for the cost. 9 ult out of 170 or a snare that's inferior to a permanent proc effect (Tremorscale) is really weak. Stam drain sounds fair, IMO.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Tsss...

But for real. Meteor is really expensive and telegraphed. Blocking it should come at a cost, therefore.
    It's frustrating how little stam it drains when the DoT is a waste, Dawnbreaker hits almost as hard with half the cost and you can prepare for it.
    I have the DoT from DB on me, endure debuffs from Incap and enjoy being thrown from walls by Leap. Meteor should also have a guaranteed secondary benefit for the cost. 9 ult out of 170 or a snare that's inferior to a permanent proc effect (Tremorscale) is really weak. Stam drain sounds fair, IMO.

Nah, since dodge roll, MA etc took so much hits as of last why not let it ignore magickal shields instead? *cough*
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Tsss...

Yes, ults should be balanced around their impact vs medium armor builds /s
    Edited by SodanTok on July 22, 2017 5:21PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Huh?

If Meteor drained more stam, I'd rather worry about magicka builds. Meteor, unblocked, hits hard enough to be a threat even when fully shielded. And blocking is complicated for most mag builds.

Stamina builds are still specialized in stamina, so they should typically not run dry from just one Meteor. But it should be enough to put them on the defense for a while, which is my intention. As of now, you can just ani-cancel into a block when Met hits you, never losing your momentum.