The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

WEAPON DYES! We've waited and waited... Shields only? Really?

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Don't add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    Because I like actual look. I think a true color of the weapon is the color of material it is made from. I'd welcome more the ability to paint my mounts or put some cool looking textures or large tattoos by which I could express my personal character.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    Gargath wrote: »
    Because I like actual look. I think a true color of the weapon is the color of material it is made from. I'd welcome more the ability to paint my mounts or put some cool looking textures or large tattoos by which I could express my personal character.

oh is that right, what about armor dyes and shields that are all made of similar items from "true material". And guess what? All those metals can still be dyed

In addition if you knew anything about metalworking, You would know that the color of an Metal's Ore is never how it actually turns out looking after being smelted and the impurities of the metal are removed from the ore. In fact the metals color is nearly completely unrecognizable to the ore used after being worked.

Not only this But many swords of all cultures have always had the metals polished and in current and old have been dyed in the real world.

So why in a world full of magic would this be any different?
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 27, 2017 9:35PM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no commentary/notes from a DEV or community manager?

That's okay, I'm patient. I can wait and keep asking every day
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so when are we getting weapon dyes?

day 1
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 29, 2017 9:00PM
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so when are we getting weapon dyes?

Wait a bit
    Everything is viable
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no because weapons look better when they are left with realistic colours. After all, you didn't see sky-blue-pink swords and lances around in the old days, any more than there are brightly coloured guns etc these days. It would just look wrong.

Now shields are a different matter. It has always been traditional to emblazon shields with various designs, such as coats of arms.

Maybe ZOS could introduce a range of designs to put on our shields to make them look individual and decorative?
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok where are weapon dyes

Day 2
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 31, 2017 3:21AM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    I voted no because weapons look better when they are left with realistic colours. After all, you didn't see sky-blue-pink swords and lances around in the old days, any more than there are brightly coloured guns etc these days. It would just look wrong.

Now shields are a different matter. It has always been traditional to emblazon shields with various designs, such as coats of arms.

Maybe ZOS could introduce a range of designs to put on our shields to make them look individual and decorative?

To answer this..

oh is that right, what about armor dyes and shields that are all made of similar items from "true material". And guess what? All those metals can still be dyed

In addition if you knew anything about metalworking, You would know that the color of an Metal's Ore is never how it actually turns out looking after being smelted and the impurities of the metal are removed from the ore. In fact the metals color is nearly completely unrecognizable to the ore used after being worked.

Not only this But many swords of all cultures have always had the metals polished and in current and old have been dyed in the real world.

• Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And bright ass Pink armor and bright red swords makes more sense?

Jesus christ
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 31, 2017 3:23AM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To sum it up for ZOS

90% logical people say yes

9% Scum say no

That 10% or less of humanities population is always a useless pain
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 31, 2017 3:27AM
  • tyran404_ESO
    tyran404_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I still feed back every day that they need to add weapon dyes, one day they'll listen. Look any color we could dye them to would look infinitely more real then the bright red abominations people swing around now. As it stands right now end game means we can play vet content and swing around red or pink light sabers. I want to have a good old weapon with STEEL colors on it.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To sum it up for ZOS

9% Scum say no

I rather object to your tone Nelson-Rebel. The 10% who happen to hold a different view to your's are neither 'scum', not a 'useless pain'.
  • lbishopl
    lbishopl
    Yes, no reason not to.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want to dye maelstrom D1LDO staves, they are so ugly maybe a different colour would make them better.
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To sum it up for ZOS

9% Scum say no

I rather object to your tone Nelson-Rebel. The 10% who happen to hold a different view to your's are neither 'scum', not a 'useless pain'.

WTS sense of humor :)

Esse quam videri.
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To sum it up for ZOS

9% Scum say no

To answer..:
    Riptide wrote: »
    To sum it up for ZOS

9% Scum say no

WTS sense of humor :)

• Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also Day 3

Where are weapon dyes?
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumpity bump.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    mcb123 wrote: »
    I really want to dye maelstrom D1LDO staves, they are so ugly maybe a different colour would make them better.

Yeah Black or Deep Jade Green would look cool on the maelstrom staves! Personal preference there but just the option to change the color would be nice :blush:
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no because weapons look better when they are left with realistic colours.

I take it you are not CP160+ yet.

Boy, oh boy, do you have a surprise in store for you...
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Jamini wrote: »
    I voted no because weapons look better when they are left with realistic colours.

I take it you are not CP160+ yet.

Boy, oh boy, do you have a surprise in store for you...

bahahahaha :joy:
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh please. Your attitude sucks Nelson, wind your neck in jerk. People like you are about as funny as hole in a boat. I.e nada.

What Aurelle said is on point, you however seem too dim to understand that armor and heraldry was always dyed historically. Weapons do not fit under that description and aren't of the design/scale to hold color. They had ornate design, sometimes outfitted with detailing on the grip/guard. Thats it for practical arms.

What kind of fool would detail a live blade with color. when by design its designed to take and dish out physical impact? And then need retreating/forging and sharpening?

Yawn. I thought I was bad. Your smugness is off the charts.

Edited by RainfeatherUK on July 31, 2017 4:53PM
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapons do not fit under that description and aren't of the design/scale to hold color.

This is inaccurate. There are plenty of historical instances of ceremonial swords being dyed certain colors. Swords are able to be dyed by design. Nothing about their construction prevents them from being dyed.

They simply weren't dyed because it would have been a waste of time as, after the first battle, your blade's impact on opponent armor, bone, and objects would have scraped the dye off, not to mention the repeated sharpening of the blade. So people just didn't bother dying their swords, as the effect would be extremely temporary. If your dye lasted through battle, it was clear that you hadn't fought anyone, thus are a coward. This is the same for armor. In history, a dyed armor usually meant it wasn't going to see a lot of battle (on horse in the back lines dolling out strategy). IF on the front lines, your dyed armor would look like garbage with all the scrapes in the dye afterward.

The average English knight was conditioned to take repeated hits to their armor, as the more unruly and large their armor became, the less likely they'd be able to dodge anything.

All of this is irrelevant for one SINGLE point that trumps anything you can say about "history":

Elder Scrolls Online is fantasy, is NOT attempting to be historically accurate in any way, and any argument using "historical accuracy" as its premise should be laughed at outright.

You're quick to whine about weapon dying not being historically accurate. However, you are completely fine with dragons, magic, elves, orcs, red/green/black ore used to make functional weapons, wizards, demons, gods, etc.

If you want to whine about historical accuracy, go to a Chivalry or For Honor forum. It has no place in an ESO forum, and frankly makes you look like a cherry-picking child who just wants to argue, especially when you decide to throw ad hominem into your "argument".

Edit: Spelling and grammar.

Edited by AlMcFly on July 31, 2017 5:33PM
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @RainfeatherUK

repeat of what AlMcFly had said...

"Elder Scrolls Online is fantasy, is NOT attempting to be historically accurate in any way, and any argument using "historical accuracy" as its premise should be laughed at outright."

You're riding on a giant lizard fighting off undead and daedra alike with spells, nothing about that is realistic. To have realism be the argument for not allowing us to dye weapons, when we can already rock a full pepto bismol pink suit of armor, thats a real weak argument that literally holds no gravity... :neutral:
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh please. Your attitude sucks Nelson, wind your neck in jerk. People like you are about as funny as hole in a boat. I.e nada.

What Aurelle said is on point, you however seem too dim to understand that armor and heraldry was always dyed historically. Weapons do not fit under that description and aren't of the design/scale to hold color. They had ornate design, sometimes outfitted with detailing on the grip/guard. Thats it for practical arms.

What kind of fool would detail a live blade with color. when by design its designed to take and dish out physical impact? And then need retreating/forging and sharpening?

Yawn. I thought I was bad. Your smugness is off the charts.

This answer your smug retort

• khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Youd see a lot more realistically colored weapons than you see now. Instead of red or pink youd actually see people with steel colored blades.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Thrymbauld
    Thrymbauld
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. I voted yes because weapons look better when they are realistic colors. After all, in the old days you didn't see red swords. Red. Swords.

If the end-game weapon color wasn't so horrifically awful, I don't think you'd even see these threads. If your end game sword was steel gray, it's my opinion that precious few people would actually care to have them in a different color. But it's not steel gray, we've got red swords. Red. Swords.

Seriously, if I was trolling to make the most obnoxious weapon color possible, it'd be a red sword. Or maybe I'd make a neat axe with all kinds of insignia emblazoned on it....and then put a red stripe in it like some kind of teenagers first mustang that he painted in the k-mart parking lot with krylon.

We need not fear how obnoxious players can get with weapon colorization, we have dang near the worst possible color choice possible as the one we're stuck with already.
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thrymbauld wrote: »
    After all, in the old days you didn't see red swords. Red. Swords.

5VPWdlt.jpg
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AlMcFly wrote: »
    Thrymbauld wrote: »
    After all, in the old days you didn't see red swords. Red. Swords.

5VPWdlt.jpg

This is too good :joy:
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 4

Where are weapons dyes?