The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

WEAPON DYES! We've waited and waited... Shields only? Really?

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    BloodWolfe wrote: »
    I voted no because in games that have done this, the weapons look cheesey as F*** and beyond terrible so I'd rather not see this to be honest. Pink staves, purple swords, orange maces, etc... Just doesn't fit. Dyed weapons always end up looking ridiculous!

Maybe I am wrong and maybe some of the higher end weapons already look ridiculous (that I haven't seen) and need to be dyed to look good? I dunno, but my experience they tend to look ridiculous once dyed.

@BloodWolfe, pink weapons occur with Galatite. (To be fair, depending on the motif, this can range from pink to orange.) I don't remember if you get pink staves with Ash, but it's somewhere up in there. Voidsteel and Nightwood weapons are purple.

And of course, most Rubidite weapons are a vibrant red. Because, nothing says, "realistic weapons," like firetruck red blades.

What's more annoying is, once you hit level cap, you're basically stuck with Rubidite tier weaponry. For someone who wants non-ridiculously colored weapons, your options are to craft in a tiny handful of motifs (Glass, for instance), or use weapons that are lower tier (like quicksilver).

Because of the Ruby tier gear, a lot of players who have hit endgame are desperate to be able to dye their weapons into something normal looking. It's not about people wanting their blade to look like a lightsaber, it's that they don't want to look like a Dark Lord of the Sith every time they whip out their greatsword.
  • Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is so annoying that the top mats make everything turn red!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnviOfVai wrote: »
    The fact that weapons are already dyed to red when you hit 160 does not help. I would be fine with not dying weapons if they were regular silver and bronze, but because of this i want my weapons silver or black :)

For whatever it's worth, Glass weapons never pick up the red off of rubidite. They start as a kind of silvery green, and then, as you improve them, the green fades until you're left with a silver blade with a faint green core.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and comment. At this time, we have no plans to add weapon dyes to ESO. However, we are hard at work on the transmogrification system which will allow you to customize the appearance of your character’s gear. While it may seem like weapon dyeing is an easy thing to add since we already have shield dyeing, there’s a lot of work that goes into implementing something like this, and we’re currently focusing our attention on the transmog system instead. We’ll get into more details about how that system will work once it gets a bit closer to release; we’re still actively working on getting it implemented.

Here's the thing about weapon dying - I'd bet the farm that most players would be more than happy if we were just able to either default to a steel color or cycle through the existing weapon colors from the various ore types. We don't need to be able to dye weapons hot pink. But most of us are tired of the ugly default color of max level weapons.

Be nice seeing the transmog system come out, so that's good news.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and comment. At this time, we have no plans to add weapon dyes to ESO. However, we are hard at work on the transmogrification system which will allow you to customize the appearance of your character’s gear. While it may seem like weapon dyeing is an easy thing to add since we already have shield dyeing, there’s a lot of work that goes into implementing something like this, and we’re currently focusing our attention on the transmog system instead. We’ll get into more details about how that system will work once it gets a bit closer to release; we’re still actively working on getting it implemented.

@ZOS_GinaBruno While I am really disappointed that weapon dyes aren't in the works at this point, I am grateful that you took the time to address the plea from the community instead of just ignoring it. Hopefully some day.....

Thank you!
  • nCats
    nCats
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno thank you for this very good piece of information. I do hope the item appearance change system incompasses monster helms/shoulders as well. Many of them do not look quite sensical, sadly. Thank you again for the info.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance you can give an update on increased housing slots?
  • afonik
    afonik
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Style, Trait or both?
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Don't add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    Screw waepon dyes lol grow some balls and vote for lightsabers! 8P

No honestly, that would brake the game immersion. If they do that they should alow us to craft swords of differnt materials. I mean look at costumes, they do look nice but they really take the elderscrolls touch away from starting in crapy armor and then finally showing of with the new awsome crafted or collect set.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dr.NRG wrote: »
    Screw waepon dyes lol grow some balls and vote for lightsabers! 8P

No honestly, that would brake the game immersion. If they do that they should alow us to craft swords of differnt materials. I mean look at costumes, they do look nice but they really take the elderscrolls touch away from starting in crapy armor and then finally showing of with the new awsome crafted or collect set.

How does having everyone run around with weapons the color of a baboon's ass retain that Elder Scrolls touch youre so fond of?
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • AnviOfVai
    AnviOfVai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnviOfVai wrote: »
    The fact that weapons are already dyed to red when you hit 160 does not help. I would be fine with not dying weapons if they were regular silver and bronze, but because of this i want my weapons silver or black :)

For whatever it's worth, Glass weapons never pick up the red off of rubidite. They start as a kind of silvery green, and then, as you improve them, the green fades until you're left with a silver blade with a faint green core.

Now that is interesting, I have glass researched but the last time I used it my weapons and armor were green and were terrible to dye so I never used it afterwards, I did not realize that the green color faded!
    "I appear at my lord's behest, or perhaps I was always here, and you merely lacked the ability to see me."

PS4 - EU

AD - Pet Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - 160
    DC - Warden - Werewolf - in - progress - 160
    DC - Templar - Tank - 160
    DC - Sorcerer - Damage Dealer - in - progress
    EP - Dragon Knight -Fire Tank - 160
    EP - Nightblade - Damage Dealer - 160

• Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can accept that. One thing at a time, done RIGHT is vastly superior to doing everything at once badly.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Don't add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    I voted no because in games that have done this, the weapons look cheesey as F*** and beyond terrible so I'd rather not see this to be honest. Pink staves, purple swords, orange maces, etc... Just doesn't fit. Dyed weapons always end up looking ridiculous!

Maybe I am wrong and maybe some of the higher end weapons already look ridiculous (that I haven't seen) and need to be dyed to look good? I dunno, but my experience they tend to look ridiculous once dyed.

@BloodWolfe, pink weapons occur with Galatite. (To be fair, depending on the motif, this can range from pink to orange.) I don't remember if you get pink staves with Ash, but it's somewhere up in there. Voidsteel and Nightwood weapons are purple.

And of course, most Rubidite weapons are a vibrant red. Because, nothing says, "realistic weapons," like firetruck red blades.

What's more annoying is, once you hit level cap, you're basically stuck with Rubidite tier weaponry. For someone who wants non-ridiculously colored weapons, your options are to craft in a tiny handful of motifs (Glass, for instance), or use weapons that are lower tier (like quicksilver).

Because of the Ruby tier gear, a lot of players who have hit endgame are desperate to be able to dye their weapons into something normal looking. It's not about people wanting their blade to look like a lightsaber, it's that they don't want to look like a Dark Lord of the Sith every time they whip out their greatsword.

Thanks you for that info. I just over the last 2 days now hit gear cap and started using the rubedite greatswords and see what you mean (and others mean, at least with the crafted stuff. I have yet to see the dropped lots from dungeons).

I had not seen (well never noticed since they weren't on my back and easily noticeable) some of these weapons so please excuse my ignorance when I wrote that.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to do every single color applying to weapons, at least give us all the current existing weapon tints that already applies based on what material used to craft weapons. I would not mind having the Voidsteel blue tint on my Ruby weapons.
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not ?
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Thank you for finally giving us an answer on this topic! Even if it wasn't the one we wanted. :)

Will we be able to trasmog weapons into lower material tiers? This would help to solve the problem, as we can simply change our weapon for a realistic version. Also, I'd love to be able to use the amazing looking low tier Dwarven staves!

(and if you actually read this Gina: sorry to summon you to this thread again, but answering this question would allay most of our fears of being cursed with red weapons for eternity.)
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to do every single color applying to weapons, at least give us all the current existing weapon tints that already applies based on what material used to craft weapons. I would not mind having the Voidsteel blue tint on my Ruby weapons.

@phaneub17_ESO

If they did Transmogging you'd be able to do so, using lower level weapon metals to get the desired color you want!
    This is of course dependant on if they allow us to Tmog stuff lower then cp160 of course...
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • RizaHawkeye
    RizaHawkeye
    ✭✭✭✭

What? You don't think this is realistic?

toy-sword-8.jpg

Edited by RizaHawkeye on August 3, 2017 3:32PM
    War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The heroes during times of war, are nothing but mass murderers during times of peace.

Riza Hawkeye

Learn to play, or resign to become one of pieces that is meant to be sacrificed.

Meridia
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭

gimme 100$ i'll handle the textures within the week

that's how trivial it is

just that it's boring and tedious
    just like fixing CCs or balancing classes
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • TheHsN
    TheHsN
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pls make it with GOLDs in game... i dont wanna pay real money for that
    Plays:
    Magicka SORC - PvE/PvP
    Stamina NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka NB - PvE/PvP
    Magicka Templar - PvE
    Stamina Templar - PvP
    Magicka DK - PvE
    Stamina DK - PvE
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muttsmutt wrote: »

that's how trivial it is

+1

I've created retexture mods for Skyrim, Dark Souls, and many other games for several years using nothing but Photoshop (CS6, etc.). @Muttsmutt is 100% accurate. Creating a single recolored texture file takes literally 5-10 minutes, accounting for QA in-game for each piece. All colors for all weapons? A few weeks to a month solid work.

It's so freaking easy to do.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlMcFly wrote: »
    Muttsmutt wrote: »

that's how trivial it is

+1

I've created retexture mods for Skyrim, Dark Souls, and many other games for several years using nothing but Photoshop (CS6, etc.). @Muttsmutt is 100% accurate. Creating a single recolored texture file takes literally 5-10 minutes, accounting for QA in-game for each piece. All colors for all weapons? A few weeks to a month solid work.

It's so freaking easy to do.

That isn't how ESO handles texture changes. Its all handled by colors overlaying the existing textures. There aren't separate texture files for each possible color for each possible weapon, that would just be a dumb way to design textures for a game that allows them to be recolored.

It really couldn't be any more different from making a little texture mod for Skyrim.
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    That isn't how ESO handles texture changes. Its all handled by colors overlaying the existing textures. There aren't separate texture files for each possible color for each possible weapon, that would just be a dumb way to design textures for a game that allows them to be recolored.

It really couldn't be any more different from making a little texture mod for Skyrim.

You've literally merely said "It's not like that you dummy.", but then never explained how it's actually set up. Thus, you haven't really added much value by your comment. Please explain how the game "actually" handles the color overlays, and I'll explain to you how I'd still probably be done with the task in a few weeks.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You've literally merely said "It's not like that you dummy.", but then never explained how it's actually set up. Thus, you haven't really added much value by your comment. Please explain how the game "actually" handles the color overlays, and I'll explain to you how I'd still probably be done with the task in a few weeks.

phpeorw8h.jpg
    (Note this is not the actual texture, but it gets the idea across)

This is how its handled in ESO (and most any game that allows recoloring). There is a texture map that tells the game where each texturing slot is applied, and the intensity of each part of the texture. Weapons already have these maps, the issue when it comes to time is a programming and game design one, not a "we don't feel like making textures" one. If you have a single player game with modding tools that has recolorable armor & weapons (Mass Effect: Andromeda works) you can go through the files, and you will find texture maps like this, that will give you a better understanding than me trying to explain it all to you.

So if you have to programming skills to make the required changes to the system, then fine. Otherwise stop insisting that you can do better than a gaming company just because you made a few retexture mods.
    Edited by Tyrobag on August 3, 2017 5:08PM
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how its handled in ESO (and most any game that allows recoloring). There is a texture map that tells the game where each texturing slot is applied, and the intensity of each part of the texture. Weapons already have these maps, the issue when it comes to time is a programming and game design one, not a "we don't feel like making textures" one. If you have a single player game with modding tools that has recolorable armor & weapons (Mass Effect: Andromeda works) you can go through the files, and you will find texture maps like this, that will give you a better understanding than me trying to explain it all to you.

Nothing you've said here is any different than some of the texture mods at Skyrim Nexus. There are plenty of complete texture and model overhauls that exist there, which match 100% the complexity of ESO's. SOme of them are far more complex than ESO's.
    So if you have to programming skills to make the required changes to the system, then fine. Otherwise stop insisting that you can do better than a gaming company just because you made a few retexture mods.

Ironic. You are implying that I don't understand how this works, yet display a level of ignorance that is even more laughable. Programmers do not design the new textures and models. Designers do this. Most Designers have a rudimentary understanding of programming, and most don't need any more. Programmers create the programmed linkages for the files so that the game can access them. Since this programming framework already exists, it's simply a copy and paste job while rewriting some of the values.

The DESIGNERS are who will take the brunt of the work. Stop pretending to be an armchair game developer, it doesn't suit you.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Nothing you've said here is any different than some of the texture mods at Skyrim Nexus. There are plenty of complete texture and model overhauls that exist there, which match 100% the complexity of ESO's. SOme of them are far more complex than ESO's.

Ironic. You are implying that I don't understand how this works, yet display a level of ignorance that is even more laughable. Programmers do not design the new textures and models. Designers do this. Most Designers have a rudimentary understanding of programming, and most don't need any more. Programmers create the programmed linkages for the files so that the game can access them. Since this programming framework already exists, it's simply a copy and paste job while rewriting some of the values.

The DESIGNERS are who will take the brunt of the work. Stop pretending to be an armchair game developer, it doesn't suit you.

We all know its a matter of not wanting to put the work into it, because it will be tedious and hefty for the small team ZOS must have working for them considering how long it takes to fix bugs and implement big changes. Management is really the problem though, not the designers or coders... It's a shame ZOS management doesn’t want to invest with all the money they get from us through micro transactions in a bigger and competent coding/development team and issues like wanting weapon dyes would be trivial indeed. But they like their quality of life as is and don’t want to sacrifice losing the income they currently receive (: which is an absurd amount of revenue for management. Most of ZOS management are related by the way :joy:
    Edited by celner4_ESO on August 3, 2017 5:24PM
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For the sake of not getting this thread closed, I'm going to resist insulting your intelligence and just assume you're having a bad day that's making you grumpy.

There are no new textures that need to be made. All of the changes are handled in game, not by an outside program like photoshop.

Now, perhaps you should take a nap. :)
    Edited by Tyrobag on August 3, 2017 5:26PM
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But they like their quality of life as is

Agreed. ZOS is so weird as an MMO company. Once they release a feature, they FIGHT and RESIST having to revisit that feature for updates. They just want to put features out as finished and close the book on them. It seems like the Community has to get into an UPROAR, twisting ZOS's arms before they choose to look at improving features they already released. Again, such an odd way of doing things.
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tyrobag

It's strange you say:
    For the sake of not getting this thread closed, I'm going to resist insulting your intelligence and just assume you're having a bad day that's making you grumpy.

Obviously trying to achieve the moral high ground, then immediately after quip:
    Now, perhaps you should take a nap. :)

Which is a snotty remark that completely removes you from that moral high ground. If you hadn't already insisted in insulting me using comments such as:
    Otherwise stop insisting that you can do better than a gaming company just because you made a few retexture mods.

Which both trivializes my comment and is disrespectful. If you want a respectful conversation, then you should speak in a respectful way yourself.

• celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    But they like their quality of life as is

Agreed. ZOS is so weird as an MMO company. Once they release a feature, they FIGHT and RESIST having to revisit that feature for updates. They just want to put features out as finished and close the book on them. It seems like the Community has to get into an UPROAR, twisting ZOS's arms before they choose to look at improving features they already released. Again, such an odd way of doing things.

It's almost as if an "adult" child is running ZOS with no business education at all except for what they've seen daddy do. They have a rough idea of what they are doing but are doing okay and don’t think they need to change. Why is it so hard for Game production companies to understand that happy fans and subs who play a game that's really taken care of and invested in means WAY more money then an overflowing micro transaction store and bug after bug after bug with no due diligence in resolving issues at hand, only in making more money through the Crown Store and new content that will most likely also be flawed and not fixed when released....