The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

WEAPON DYES! We've waited and waited... Shields only? Really?

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Add Weapon Dyes to the game.
    AlMcFly wrote: »
    @Tyrobag

It's strange you say:
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    For the sake of not getting this thread closed, I'm going to resist insulting your intelligence and just assume you're having a bad day that's making you grumpy.

Obviously trying to achieve the moral high ground, then immediately after quip:
    Now, perhaps you should take a nap. :)

Which is a snotty remark that completely removes you from that moral high ground. If you hadn't already insisted in insulting me using comments such as:
    It really couldn't be any more different from making a little texture mod for Skyrim.
    Otherwise stop insisting that you can do better than a gaming company just because you made a few retexture mods.

Which both trivializes my comment and is disrespectful. If you want a respectful conversation, then you should speak in a respectful way yourself.

Unlike you, I have given examples to show you how this works. All you have done is said 'I am right and you are wrong, and zos is lazy'.

Say what you will from this point on, I see no point in carrying this conversation with you and will not respond from here on out.

Have a lovely day, and I hope you get over your case of the grumps.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    AlMcFly wrote: »
    @Tyrobag

It's strange you say:
    For the sake of not getting this thread closed, I'm going to resist insulting your intelligence and just assume you're having a bad day that's making you grumpy.

Obviously trying to achieve the moral high ground, then immediately after quip:
    Now, perhaps you should take a nap. :)

Which is a snotty remark that completely removes you from that moral high ground. If you hadn't already insisted in insulting me using comments such as:
    It really couldn't be any more different from making a little texture mod for Skyrim.
    Otherwise stop insisting that you can do better than a gaming company just because you made a few retexture mods.

Which both trivializes my comment and is disrespectful. If you want a respectful conversation, then you should speak in a respectful way yourself.

Unlike you, I have given examples to show you how this works. All you have done is said 'I am right and you are wrong, and zos is lazy'.

Say what you will from this point on, I see no point in carrying this conversation with you and will not respond from here on out.

Have a lovely day, and I hope you get over your case of the grumps.

Koom-bye-yawh? :sweat_smile:
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike you, I have given examples to show you how this works.

Pasting a picture and noting that there are texture maps is not explaining anything. It's pointing out the obvious. Please come back to reality.
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and comment. At this time, we have no plans to add weapon dyes to ESO. However, we are hard at work on the transmogrification system which will allow you to customize the appearance of your character’s gear. While it may seem like weapon dyeing is an easy thing to add since we already have shield dyeing, there’s a lot of work that goes into implementing something like this, and we’re currently focusing our attention on the transmog system instead. We’ll get into more details about how that system will work once it gets a bit closer to release; we’re still actively working on getting it implemented.

Forgot to add it's going to be Crown store feature. If it isnt, it's going to be one of the bigger surprises in my lifetime.

• Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I am excited about the upcoming Transmog system, I also know what we receive will probably in no way resemble what we have requested and hoped for.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and comment. At this time, we have no plans to add weapon dyes to ESO. However, we are hard at work on the transmogrification system which will allow you to customize the appearance of your character’s gear. While it may seem like weapon dyeing is an easy thing to add since we already have shield dyeing, there’s a lot of work that goes into implementing something like this, and we’re currently focusing our attention on the transmog system instead. We’ll get into more details about how that system will work once it gets a bit closer to release; we’re still actively working on getting it implemented.

For a little clarity, around what day would be considered "closer" to release day?
  • AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OC_Justice wrote: »

For a little clarity, around what day would be considered "closer" to release day?

I don't think she can answer this because I doubt they've even set a release date for the feature.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm predicting each single item you want to change the appearance of will cost you crown$ to change it.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Sure, I'll take a couple whacks at this dead horse.

Why is that piñata horse-shaped and so smelly? Oh God there are bones on it :#
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hope we will be able to trans mog any item not just limited to crafted ones
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it so hard for Game production companies to understand that happy fans and subs who play a game that's really taken care of and invested in means WAY more money then an overflowing micro transaction store and bug after bug after bug with no due diligence in resolving issues at hand, only in making more money through the Crown Store and new content that will most likely also be flawed and not fixed when released....

Because it's not true. No, I know, it's the fantasy you want to believe. It's what I wish was true, but it's not. Lock boxes, and gamble crates pull in so much money it's disgusting. Seriously. And for all the complaints about P2W, people will pony up for that stuff.

Think about this, you can cough up 40 bucks for Morrowind once, maybe twice if you run a second account. That's it, you're done. But a whale can blow a grand on crown crates, searching for whatever stupid bauble they're looking for, without exhausting their ability to spend money.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AnviOfVai wrote: »
    AnviOfVai wrote: »
    The fact that weapons are already dyed to red when you hit 160 does not help. I would be fine with not dying weapons if they were regular silver and bronze, but because of this i want my weapons silver or black :)

For whatever it's worth, Glass weapons never pick up the red off of rubidite. They start as a kind of silvery green, and then, as you improve them, the green fades until you're left with a silver blade with a faint green core.

Now that is interesting, I have glass researched but the last time I used it my weapons and armor were green and were terrible to dye so I never used it afterwards, I did not realize that the green color faded!

Glass armor is a serious pain to dye. I've found one or two colors that look good, and a handful that don't look terrible most of the time. But, glass weapons are a different story. Those have a locked color scheme, and will not turn red on you.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BloodWolfe wrote: »
    BloodWolfe wrote: »
    I voted no because in games that have done this, the weapons look cheesey as F*** and beyond terrible so I'd rather not see this to be honest. Pink staves, purple swords, orange maces, etc... Just doesn't fit. Dyed weapons always end up looking ridiculous!

Maybe I am wrong and maybe some of the higher end weapons already look ridiculous (that I haven't seen) and need to be dyed to look good? I dunno, but my experience they tend to look ridiculous once dyed.

@BloodWolfe, pink weapons occur with Galatite. (To be fair, depending on the motif, this can range from pink to orange.) I don't remember if you get pink staves with Ash, but it's somewhere up in there. Voidsteel and Nightwood weapons are purple.

And of course, most Rubidite weapons are a vibrant red. Because, nothing says, "realistic weapons," like firetruck red blades.

What's more annoying is, once you hit level cap, you're basically stuck with Rubidite tier weaponry. For someone who wants non-ridiculously colored weapons, your options are to craft in a tiny handful of motifs (Glass, for instance), or use weapons that are lower tier (like quicksilver).

Because of the Ruby tier gear, a lot of players who have hit endgame are desperate to be able to dye their weapons into something normal looking. It's not about people wanting their blade to look like a lightsaber, it's that they don't want to look like a Dark Lord of the Sith every time they whip out their greatsword.

Thanks you for that info. I just over the last 2 days now hit gear cap and started using the rubedite greatswords and see what you mean (and others mean, at least with the crafted stuff. I have yet to see the dropped lots from dungeons).

I had not seen (well never noticed since they weren't on my back and easily noticeable) some of these weapons so please excuse my ignorance when I wrote that.

As far as I know, the only weapon motifs that don't pick up red coloration at 160 are Glass and Stahlrim. Actually, Stahlrim kinda does, there's some red wirework near the hilt of the swords that picks up the material color. To the best of my knowledge, neither one exists in a drop set anywhere.

Beyond that, Akaviri has a speckled pattern, which looks kinda like blood at 160. EDIT: Okay, I misremembered what Akaviri looked like. It's actually more like a blade that's had some kind of red coating applied, that's wearing off along the edges. The only drop source of Akaviri I'm aware of in the game now is the Prismatic Blade, but this one might still pop up on some PVP sets I'm forgetting.

I'll get some images in a few minutes.

Edited by starkerealm on August 4, 2017 3:21PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm limited to what I have on hand, I'm not logging onto the PTS to do crafting for one post. Sorry.

Glass Greatsword (Legendary):

gVI2gh9.jpg?1

The armor in these is also Glass, dyed with Cold Harbour Ash Black, Aldmeri Gold, and Daedric Red. So, no that's not the normal coloration of tier 10 medium glass.

Glass Bow (Legendary):

BxVLyk2.jpg?1

Akaviri Greatsword (really, this is the Prismatic Greatblade) (Epic):

1TN6mGT.jpg?1

Yeah, I forgot how much red was on the thing. Mybad.

Stahlrim Frostcaster Daggers (Legendary):

GOD3gJZ.jpg?1

Stahlrim Bow (Legendary):

OaRGfGJ.jpg?1

With weapons, the rarity is very important, because that affects the color of the weapon overall. For example, Stahlrim weapons do not have any white wrapping on them until they hit gold. Below that it's varying shades of brown. Also (as I recall) glass weapons start out much greener than the final version, and work their way up to those clean edges.

Glass is very unusual because there's no hint to the weapon's underlying material in the finished product. That's not true of any other motif I'm aware of. With Frostcaster it's subtle. There's also Ancient Elf weapons, where the main blade color is affected by rarity, (varying shades of green, and I want to say pale blue at blue rarity), but the tang will match the material. For a greatsword, that's a large chunk of the blade.

There's one other weird exception. I've got a 160 Greataxe of Endurance from the IC launch. This thing is silver. I want to say that was the case for endurance, agility, and willpower weapons from the time when the IC launched until Tamriel Unlimited One Tamriel. There's no way to obtain these now, except from another player. I even think the modern incarnations won't even use the alliance motifs, but it's been awhile since I checked.

There's another possible exception, but I'm not sure about it. When you finish the main quest, (before Cadwell's Silver), you have an opportunity to get a copy of one of the Companion's weapons. Either Sai's Greatsword, Lyrus's Axe, or the Prophet's staff. The versions back at launch do not change with the material tier. Originally they were locked at level 50, but now they scale with you (like all quest rewards). I don't know if that's still the case. Even if it is, you'd be limited to a 2h axe or sword or a resto staff. On top of that, I think they're all precise, like the Prismatic weapons. But, I could be wrong.

Finally, it's been awhile since I checked, but I know Maelstrom weapon used to have unique color schemes that were independent of rarity. (Really, if you could get these below 160, I'd be impressed.) I think that's still the case, but I'm not sure. I'm hesitant to even mention these because it's not exactly a casual gear source. You need to clear Maelstrom on vet to get them.

On that subject, I have no idea what vDSA weapons look like, someone else will have to weigh in on that. I haven't stuck my nose in there in two years at least.

EDIT: Derp.
    Edited by starkerealm on August 4, 2017 3:49PM
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it so hard for Game production companies to understand that happy fans and subs who play a game that's really taken care of and invested in means WAY more money then an overflowing micro transaction store and bug after bug after bug with no due diligence in resolving issues at hand, only in making more money through the Crown Store and new content that will most likely also be flawed and not fixed when released....

Because it's not true. No, I know, it's the fantasy you want to believe. It's what I wish was true, but it's not. Lock boxes, and gamble crates pull in so much money it's disgusting. Seriously. And for all the complaints about P2W, people will pony up for that stuff.

Think about this, you can cough up 40 bucks for Morrowind once, maybe twice if you run a second account. That's it, you're done. But a whale can blow a grand on crown crates, searching for whatever stupid bauble they're looking for, without exhausting their ability to spend money.

It most certainly is true, I mean look at blizzard is a perfect example, no gamble crates with a "chance" to win what you want. sure you can pay for items you'd like on their store online but NOTHING gamble related. I've played their games since they launched both Diablo and WoW and the amount of due diligence that is put into keeping their game optimal is awesome. We don’t wait months for bug fixes. and they didn’t even implement a micro transaction store until 2012 which the items aren’t even nearly as wanted as the stuff you can earn in game. Most cool mounts in ESO and other costumes / cosmetics are in those gamble crates in ESO, the Game is riddles with bugs which take MONTHS to fix if not longer which I can create a list of the bugs I've encountered which are still present in game with no acknowledgement by maintenance that they are there. I mean look up the employee reviews (Which need proof of employment verification to even write the reviews if you go to legitimate employee review sites.) They all say the same thing. ZOS is plagued with bad management, nepotism, a constant shift in priorities leaving many broken things stagnant, and more effort on a month to month basis is put into the crown store, not the game. Which is 100% true if you're taking employee reviews into consideration and running into the same bugs that have been there 6 months to over a year.

Lock boxes, and gamble crates pull in so much money it's disgusting.

Yeah, exactly. They are more then capable of having a hefty competent coding and development team with no excuse for bugs lasting more then a month. But that's simply not the case. They don't want to sacrifice their current quality of life so we are left with the *** service. Sad fact, but fact nonetheless.

Because it's not true. No, I know, it's the fantasy you want to believe.

I don’t exactly see what your argument was against me in the first place but I appreciated the "fantasy" pun, considering what we are playing. :blush:
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUMP since the freaking pinkRED still here.
    I was leveling these days a character and was admiring the beautiful metal weapons doomed to become so gross and awfully colored.

@ZOS if you are not willing to do some work to make dye available, GIVE US a NEUTRAL COLOR option!

IS THAT SO HARD?

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • RPGplayer13579
    RPGplayer13579
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. If we can change the look of our armor and shields, then we should be able to do the same to our weapons.

And I still want to be able to craft jewelry.
    My Characters.

Mike Snow - Imperial - Templar - One-Handed and Shield - Tank - Daggerfall Covenant - Commander.
    Catelyn Rivers - Breton - Sorcerer - Destruction Staff - Daggerfall Covenant - Telvanni Magister.
    Ashara Sand - Redguard - Warden - Two-Handed/One-Handed and Shield - Daggerfall Covenant - Heroic.
    Tormund gro-Largash - Orsimer - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Daggerfall Covenant - Furious.
    Lysa Rivers - Breton - Nightblade - Bow/One-Handed and Shield - Vampire - Daggerfall Covenant - Brassy Assassin.

Jon Karstark - Nord - Dragonknight - Two-Handed - Ebonheart Pact - Drunk.
    Arya Sand - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Assassin.
    Sansa Snow - Impeial - Warden - Destruction Staff/One-Handed and Shield - Ebonheart Pect - Swashbuckler.
    Jojen Reed-Walker - Argonian - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Ebonheart Pact - Melancholy.
    Alys Karstark - Nord - Nightblade - Bow/Dual Wield - Ebonheart Pact - Minstrel.

Nymeria Woods - Bosmer - Nightblade - Bow - Aldmeri Dominion - Thief.
    Brandon Wings - Altmer - Templar - Restoration Staff - Healer - Aldmeri Dominion - Scholar.
    Lyanna Flowers - Altmer - Sorcerer - Sword/Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Duchess.
    Marvolo-jo Riddle - Khajiit - Necromancer - Destruction Staff - Aldmeri Dominion - Deadlands Firewalker.
    Obara Woods - Bosmer - Templar - Bow - Werewolf - Aldmeri Dominion - Cheerful.

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fear is that the ability to transmog things is going to require some ridiculously rare and hard to obtain ingredient like Perfect Roe for the XP boost drink you can make in game. But of course for this "convenience" there will be a "conveniently" placed item in the crown shop you can buy with real money so you don't have to spend the time chasing after some new obscure gold mat to get the job done.

And, as others have pointed out, this trandmog system has NOT been said to affect weapon color anyway. They've just said they are focusing on it over weapons dyeing, which they have no plans to implement.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear, hopefully sooner than later.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody wants it. Add it please.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My response to this poll is....

*breaks out in song*

tumblr_ne33b0GqRO1ttvv72o1_500.gif
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw yeah, this thread was resurrected yet again.

Day 4,562-

Still no signs of weapon dyeing. Future looks bleak, but we're keeping our hopes up.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willpower, Agile and Endurance weapons in alliance styles keep the Base metal colour at 160 (no red blades). Even works if you convert them to morag tong or Imperial. They aren't BIS but it's a start.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    My fear is that the ability to transmog things is going to require some ridiculously rare and hard to obtain ingredient like Perfect Roe for the XP boost drink you can make in game. But of course for this "convenience" there will be a "conveniently" placed item in the crown shop you can buy with real money so you don't have to spend the time chasing after some new obscure gold mat to get the job done.

And, as others have pointed out, this trandmog system has NOT been said to affect weapon color anyway. They've just said they are focusing on it over weapons dyeing, which they have no plans to implement.

Or weapon dying / Transmogging will only be usable through a subscription / via the crown store. If that ends up happening I'm quitting the game imo...
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Or weapon dying / Transmogging will only be usable through a subscription / via the crown store. If that ends up happening I'm quitting the game imo...

Which costume dying is already subscriber exclusive which is a shame. I failed to mention that in my last comment.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But just you wait, it'll be locked behind another paywall......CROWN CRATES
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Don't add Weapon Dyes to the game.

Expect something like dyes. Save money and time by quitting now. The rest of us will enjoy it and support new features
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Expect something like dyes. Save money and time by quitting now. The rest of us will enjoy it and support new features

Not quite sure what your point is exactly? ZOS verified, even within this thread, working on transmogging and implementing it as a feature in the game. :blush: In case you were unaware of that. I'll keep enjoying the game, thanks :wink:
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • kessik221
    kessik221
    ✭✭✭
    lol wait and watch the transmog system retain the candyas.....apple color.