The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

PTS Update 15 - Feedback Thread for Customizable Combat Cues

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the customizable combat cues. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • If you changed your colors, how helpful were the changes in combat situations?
  • Did you encounter any issues with telegraphs after having your colors changed?
  • Are there any other areas of the game you feel would benefit from additional color customization?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • JarlUlfric
    JarlUlfric
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know this really isn't the place for it, but given there is no thread for it I believe it is warranted because it affects combat animations
    In an effort to reduce the visual effect noise in group combat situations, we’ve hidden most visual effects from persistent damaging area of effect abilities cast by your allies. Area of effect abilities that have a synergy, healing, or defensive component that can benefit you will still be visible, and area of effect abilities cast by enemies will also still be visible.

I believe this is a very bad idea especially for PvP. It is important for pvp teams to see what skills allies are putting out. How can I know that someone is doing something that I tell them to? If I tell my magsorcs to pop Eye of the Storm, I have no way of knowing if they did. If I ask my stam members to drop caltrops on the breach, I've no way of seeing that.

You're effectively removing 1/2 of the combat that is visible, which leaves pvpers with not a full story of what is going on, and will hinder the ability to command and read situations.

True High King
    Member since August 2013.
    Eastmarch Trade Company | Washed Up Raiders | Order of the Bear (RIP 4.17.2015 - 5.31.2019)
    EP | Björn Járnsída | Dragonknight Tank
    EP | First-Rank Ansei | Stamina Nightblade
    EP | Advancing Yokeda | Stamina Sorceror
    EP | Immortal Yokeda | Stamina Necromancer
    EP | Resilient Yokeda | Stamina Dragonknight
    EP | Talvos Sari | Magicka Sorcerer
  • Crogster
    Crogster
    ✭✭✭
    I get trying things to reduce lag and improve the gaming experience but this is a terrible idea!. Fights are about seeing what your friends are doing just as much as your enemies. Please dont do this!!
    Phoenix Templar
    V16 Sorc
    EDC - Guild Leader/ Founder(30/3/14) , SWAT, DEI Alliance
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be very nice to have an option to disable friendly AOE's instead of getting rid of them outright. There are certain situations in groups i trust that i would be nice to have the extra fps. However i go on a lot of training raids where seeing what ground affects are happening, helps me teach newer pve players.

As well in pvp, in an organized group it is really nice to see what skills are going on. I really hope you consider adding an option to this change
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    5aapaahna9z4.png

now tell me thats not cool i suffer with multiple colour blindness as well as a red light deficiency ... which basically means for me playing any mmo with red damage indicators makes it practicaly impossible to see .... and im known as the guy that dies to stupid because i cant see it marked ... NOT ANY MORE THANK YOU

Edited by karldavy149b16_ESO on July 11, 2017 6:29AM
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    but as a tank not seeing my players aoe ... sucks we litereally cant see anything when i tested the new dungeons on vet my teammates kept yelling i was moving the boss out of ultimates how the hell was i supposed to know .... it would be a suggestion to make this a toggle ... i play in trials at about 50-60 fps with all the aoe going off around me i have never really been effected with any issues other than now ... now i cant see the stuff to hold stuff in ...

MAKE IT A TOGGLE IF THIS GETS TO LIVE WITHOUT IT BEING A TOGGLE PREPARE THE FORUMS FOR A MELTDOWN FROM TANKS
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that reducing the visual clutter on screen is a good idea but I think disabling all effects from ally attacks entirely is a bit too drastic. Tanks need to know where friendly AOEs are so they can keep the boss still in them for maximum damage. I suggest making 4 customizable categories for AOEs:
    1. Friendly damage AOEs - currently no indicator
    2. Friendly healing - currently no indicator
    3. Enemy damage AOEs - currently red indicator
    4. Enemy healing - currently no indicator

Let us pick colours for these various categories, and allow us to toggle whether we want to see them at all. If I pick blue for friendly damage, this means that when my ally casts ele rage for example I won't see the lightning VFX but instead I see a large blue circle on the ground. The tank would then know to keep the boss there.
    Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be no rhyme or reasoning to what is getting the indicator. Shards gets it, While Purifying Ritual does not.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Chairo_Kuma
    Chairo_Kuma
    ✭✭✭
    I persoally think this a very bad idea. A lot of players use the visuals for combat awareness. How are you expecting us to undrestand whats going on in the middle of a big fight where you can't visually confirm the actions of your group.
    Edited by Chairo_Kuma on July 14, 2017 4:24PM
    GM Esteemed/PS4 NA /Never Knows Best.....

• Redguard Stam Blade - 50 - AD
    • Argonian Mag Templar - 50 - AD
    • Redguard Stam Dragon Knight - 50 - AD
    • Breton Mag Blade - 50 - AD
    • Argonian Stam Warden - 50 - AD
  • Aerithone
    Aerithone
    ✭✭✭
    JarlUlfric wrote: »
    I know this really isn't the place for it, but given there is no thread for it I believe it is warranted because it affects combat animations

I believe this is a very bad idea especially for PvP. It is important for pvp teams to see what skills allies are putting out. How can I know that someone is doing something that I tell them to? If I tell my magsorcs to pop Eye of the Storm, I have no way of knowing if they did. If I ask my stam members to drop caltrops on the breach, I've no way of seeing that.

You're effectively removing 1/2 of the combat that is visible, which leaves pvpers with not a full story of what is going on, and will hinder the ability to command and read situations.

STOP. please, just STOP. This game is not ALL about pvp. Avarage pve players already struggle coz of u,pvp guys.
    A lot of changes done already made this game harder, coz pvp players are crying around things, which wouldn`t be this disastrous, if u can use ur hands properly.
    I will show you fear in a handfull of dust.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aerithone wrote: »
    JarlUlfric wrote: »

STOP. please, just STOP. This game is not ALL about pvp. Avarage pve players already struggle coz of u,pvp guys.
    A lot of changes done already made this game harder, coz pvp players are crying around things, which wouldn`t be this disastrous, if u can use ur hands properly.

Oh I just love how bratty PvEers are in this game.
  • ziaodix
    ziaodix
    ✭✭✭
    Why, again, doesn't ZOS split PvE and PvP? I mean both seem to think the game revolves around the other, and they're the reason the game keeps changing.

That being said, this change is a very welcomed one, albeit a little lacking. I wish you could have the option to toggle on/off which cues you see or don't see. From a person who suffers from colorblindness though, after having done some testing on the PTS, the ability to alter the color helped a lot.

I hope this isn't the end of this. I hope they keep the customisations coming. I do, however, like the way it's headed.
    @ziaodixYouTubeTwitch
    NA CP Rank: 1073 | EU CP Rank: ---
    GuildsKeep Moving ForwardNightfighters
    Accomplishments • vMA • vDSA (43238) • vAA HM • vHRC HM • vSO HM • vMoL HM • vHoF HM • vAS+2 •

Characters
    NA Server
    ziaodix - Lvl 50: Breton Templar <Healer> MAIN Master Angler | Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    ziaodix the artisan - Lvl 50: Argonian Templar
    ziaodix the lightbringer - Lvl 50: Imperial Templar
    ziaodix the shadow - Lvl 50: Breton Nightblade Flawless Conqueror
    ziaodix the fleet-footed - Lvl 50: Bosmer Nightblade
    ziaodix the necromantia - Lvl 50: Breton Necromancer
    ziaodix the orcromancer - Lvl 30: Orsimer Necromancer
    ziaodix the dryskin - Lvl 50: Argonian Warden
    ziaodix the shaman - Lvl 50: Breton Warden
    ziaodix the hellspawn - Lvl 50: Khajiit Warden
    ziaodix the wardenstein - Lvl 50: Redguard Warden
    ziaodix the titan - Lvl 50: Nord Dragonknight
    ziaodix the toxic - Lvl 50: Redguard Dragonknight
    ziaodix the hellfire - Lvl 50: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the cauterizer - Lvl 50: Breton Dragonknight
    ziaodix the incinerator - Lvl 50: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the sylph - Lvl 50: Redguard Sorcerer
    ziaodix the storm - Lvl 50: Altmer Sorcerer

EU Server
    ziaodix - Lvl 7: Orsimer Necromancer
    ziaodix the necromantia - Lvl 3: Breton Necromancer
    ziaodix the shaman - Lvl 3: Breton Warden
    ziaodix the shadow - Lvl 17: Breton Nightblade
    ziaodix the cauterizer - Lvl 3: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the lightbringer - Lvl 50: Argonian Templar
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that this should be a toggle option, not enforced. That way, we can enable or disable as the situation requires it. For those who need the extra feedback, and are willing to take a hit to FPS, we can turn it on. For those whose systems struggle a bit and are okay losing some combat awareness, we can turn it off.

It's not a bad idea, it just needs to be implemented as an option instead of force-fed.
          In verity.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More proof ZOS has no idea how players typically play this game. Half the AOE's are invisible. Here's an idea; Make the AOE's visible and the moves with a team componant invisible since those will typically be casted near the tank or players -anyway-?

Even better, how about you just destroy the holy trinity's involvement in this game for good considering it feels like you hate tanks so much?

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN.

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN.

THAT YOUR ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!?

Edit: I'd like to also state I'm not throwing this at anyone but who was behind this change. The problem, however, is that I fully expect this problem to be ignored given how the company tends to do things. I fully expect this feature to release, effectively making team communication -worse-, due to the deadline being near holytext, so features -must- release reguardless of whether or not they are ready.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on July 14, 2017 4:10AM
  • ziaodix
    ziaodix
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, your point isn't a very valid one. Claiming all tanks want to see every effect is incorrect. I know a lot of tanks who would prefer to have them turned off for certain situations (Like the 2nd boss in vHoF). This furthers my belief this should be a toggle option, not an always on option. This would allow for every player to match their effects to their game play (not just based on their hardware, which this is likely to alleviate for those who play on older tech).

@ZOS_GinaBruno Any thoughts on this being a toggle option?
    @ziaodixYouTubeTwitch
    NA CP Rank: 1073 | EU CP Rank: ---
    GuildsKeep Moving ForwardNightfighters
    Accomplishments • vMA • vDSA (43238) • vAA HM • vHRC HM • vSO HM • vMoL HM • vHoF HM • vAS+2 •

Characters
    NA Server
    ziaodix - Lvl 50: Breton Templar <Healer> MAIN Master Angler | Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    ziaodix the artisan - Lvl 50: Argonian Templar
    ziaodix the lightbringer - Lvl 50: Imperial Templar
    ziaodix the shadow - Lvl 50: Breton Nightblade Flawless Conqueror
    ziaodix the fleet-footed - Lvl 50: Bosmer Nightblade
    ziaodix the necromantia - Lvl 50: Breton Necromancer
    ziaodix the orcromancer - Lvl 30: Orsimer Necromancer
    ziaodix the dryskin - Lvl 50: Argonian Warden
    ziaodix the shaman - Lvl 50: Breton Warden
    ziaodix the hellspawn - Lvl 50: Khajiit Warden
    ziaodix the wardenstein - Lvl 50: Redguard Warden
    ziaodix the titan - Lvl 50: Nord Dragonknight
    ziaodix the toxic - Lvl 50: Redguard Dragonknight
    ziaodix the hellfire - Lvl 50: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the cauterizer - Lvl 50: Breton Dragonknight
    ziaodix the incinerator - Lvl 50: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the sylph - Lvl 50: Redguard Sorcerer

EU Server
    ziaodix - Lvl 7: Orsimer Necromancer
    ziaodix the necromantia - Lvl 3: Breton Necromancer
    ziaodix the shaman - Lvl 3: Breton Warden
    ziaodix the shadow - Lvl 17: Breton Nightblade
    ziaodix the cauterizer - Lvl 3: Dunmer Dragonknight
    ziaodix the lightbringer - Lvl 50: Argonian Templar
  • AuT6GHad
    AuT6GHad
    They are great, especially for console players!
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for the customizable combat cues. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
      [1] If you changed your colors, how helpful were the changes in combat situations? [2] Did you encounter any issues with telegraphs after having your colors changed? [3] Are there any other areas of the game you feel would benefit from additional color customization? [4] Do you have any other general feedback?

1) Very helpful to get a more immersive gaming environment.
    2) No
    3) Negates should shine in the color of the alliance (and yes, you HAVE to see them even if you can´t see any other friendly effect!)
    4) This shield symbol while blocking should be optional. One year has passed, and people still don´t like it ;)
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please undo the change where you can't see friendly aoe effects, or make it a toggle, please. It is so utterly against good design principles that I honestly have no idea how this was sold to your team as removal of visual clutter and not a blow to basic playability.

Seriously did not one person on the team at least try and defend the communication of key information to the player as something much too fundamental to the gameplay experience to remove?

Exactly the same as you react to enemy aoe effects, you react to friendly aoe effects and make decisions accordingly. What kind of nonsensical game removes exactly half of this equation and claps itself in the back for reducing visual clutter. I hope sincerely, not this game.
  • anathemort
    anathemort
    ✭✭
    • If you changed your colors, how helpful were the changes in combat situations?
    • Did you encounter any issues with telegraphs after having your colors changed?
    • Are there any other areas of the game you feel would benefit from additional color customization?

1) I changed them temporarily for play-testing and it was good. Very beneficial for folks with impaired vision, I'm sure. I might keep the default colors but make them a little brighter for permanent use.

2) No issues with telegraphs

3) Not at this time

4) I second what a lot of other folks here have said about friendly effects being disabled. Please make it an option or on always; not only are the effects beneficial for general combat use, but they really make it more enjoyable for me to see so much happening.
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭

I really need Color Customization for enemy Shields. I used to be able to see them easily, but I can't see sorc shields/healing ward anymore. I just look for the clapping hands on sorcs, and start counting down. If I could make the blue/orange of the shields more prevalent and brighter, that would be cool.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this thread even intended to be about the removal of the skill visual effects? Seems to be about the telegraph and visual cue changes..

I LOVE the telegraph color customization, it is so much easier to see... although it can be a little misleading on some skills. For example the mages around Spellscar cast a ground aoe that is a circle with a safe spot in the middle. The customized telegraphs don't take that into account and just highlight the entire area. I imagine it would do the same on the pirate world boss in Hew's Bane as well.
    ZsB1ynv.jpg
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on July 28, 2017 2:46AM
    love is love
  • RIGHTEOUS_REPORT
    RIGHTEOUS_REPORT
    ✭✭✭
    Does this update allow users to disable the stupid friendly block icon?

I cant see shi% in dungeons when massive stupid block icons are everywhere.

• WhiteNoiseMaker
    WhiteNoiseMaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a player who suffers from color blindness I have to say I GREATLY appreciate the opportunity to adjust the combat cues. If I were to add anything to make it perfect, I'd ask that the 'shining sparkling rays' for interrupting bashes and power blocks could be adjusted in color as well? It can get a a bit hard for me to distinguish the different light hues sometimes depending on the ambient lighting.

I'm in favor of the decision to 'clean up' friendly FX, but I do think people should have the ability to perhaps toggle on/off, or perhaps select between Full, Partial (outline), and Off options?

Thank you to the Devs for finally address some of the difficulties of being a color-blind gamer, I really appreciate it.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea on the customizable combat cues, bad idea on the reduction of allies aoe combat animations. Good intent, bad implementation. All you need is a toggle. That's the best medium you can get.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    My combat cues do not show up in PvE ever. Always works fine in PvP. I played months of PvE with the setting turned on. The first time i ever saw it was the moment i went to Cyrodiil. And still is the only place for me to see them.

PC NA
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA