The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error 1005 - OSError_AccessDenied

• Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, yet again disappointed service from customer support. They suggested I try something I had not stated before which is "open it as an administrator" even though I had stated I tried this in the ticket.

Waiting on another response because this is ridiculous.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, their first response to me was that, even though I stated in the ticket the same thing.

Very frustrating.
    "You can have fun or you can have safety, but you can't have them both"
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked windows update again and now there is an update (2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342)) so I will try that and reboot then repair and see if it works.

If this works, then I am almost positive it is a problem with their patches not working until you install the latest Windows update, which basically means, until they fix it, I can't play between the time the patch comes out and when Windows updates.

So frustrating!!!
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a windows update last night/today and my 64 bit client has been working these past few hours, without me even needing to repair.

I'm so confused by all this.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, it just worked. Downloaded/installed the update, rebooted then launched the launcher, repaired files and now I can play.

Did you manually go into Windows Update, actually click "check for updates" and then update? After the Morrowind update, I have had to do this every single patch.

My computer does it by itself usually...like tonight, it probably would have updated, but if you want to play between the time the patch hits and then the Windows update hits, you are screwed.

Before Morrowind....never had this problem. Wish they would at least come on and let us know if there was a way to permanently set it up, or at least have SOME comment on it.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    And oh yeah, my 64 bit client works for every other game I play. I don't have to do this for any other games or programs I run....
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mine updated automatically last night/this afternoon. I never really manually check for updates. Also, Zos replied to my angry reply saying 'After review, this has been escalated to a specialized team for further investigation. A member of that team will contact you as soon as possible'.

I'll send them a picture of your most recent post to say this may be the cause of it.

e: @Attackfrog I've replied to them saying this has been taken further saying thanks and mentioning what you have found with a picture of your post and a link to this forum thread. Hopefully they can sort this out.
    Edited by Magıc on July 11, 2017 7:51PM
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    That is great! I am actually happy that they are actually acknowledging it now (I know I have seen other threads, even started one a few weeks ago myself).

My Windows automatically updates too...but I think it is just the essential updates, because I know I see it updating without me actually checking, but whenever this happens, I have to go in manually and check for updates, and so far that has been one which makes ESO start working...which is ridiculous because no other game requires that.

It is just so frustrating to want to play a game you have spent money on (especially if you are ESO+) and not be able to do it. It makes it worse when I have work/family/wife which limits the amount of time I have to play.

-A ten-year-old
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess it won't hurt to manually check for Windows updates right before logging in after a patch. I'll incorporate that into my 'hope this helps' rituals when preparing for each post-patch evolution. Lol.

Seriously, appreciate the continued sharing of info on this problem that several of us seem to share and are trying to sort out.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will update tomorrow afternoon or whenever Zos reply.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    And at least it will get bumped every week after the patch comes and we end up in the same boat again....unless we actually get a response from development.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, no real change/fix after this morning's patch. Here's my little saga:

- Verified: Graphics card update current. Windows 10 updates current.
    - Ran launcher as administrator.
    - Loaded about 60% of update and stopped with an Error 1005 OS error (troubleshooting says the fix is to run as administrator, lol).
    - Backed out of launcher, moved the file that troubleshooting says onto my desktop, restarted computer.
    - Ran launcher and it offered the option to Play, to I pressed Play.
    - Game started, ran through MW credits, quizzed me on which server and country, made me 'I agree' to half a dozen things (again) and started.
    - As I'm getting (unfortunately) used to, I went straight to my settings and had to change half a dozen options back to my normal settings. The game seems to be working fine at the moment.

This is very tedious but at least I'm able to play. The highlight this morning is that I actually did not have to use the 'Repair' function. None of this makes any sense but at least I'm playing okay. . . until next patch I suppose.
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same issue. I tried doing a repair. Didn't work. I restarted my computer, and now the launcher is showing me the "play" button ... only when I press it, nothing happens, and now it's not giving me the "repair" option any more. (Edit: I just figured out how to get it to do the repair again, so I'm now trying to repair it as administrator.) It's broken. This is the first time this has happened to me. It was working fine yesterday. I did check to see if Windows was current, and it is.
    Yah, thanks for doing a patch right in the middle of a holiday event. :'(
    2nd edit: Didn't work. I still can't play.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on July 24, 2017 5:38PM
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The times I've tried a repair without moving that file onto my desktop, the repair has not worked. When I have during all this process of trying to get things going pressed Play and nothing happens, a restart of the puter has helped. You are probably already all over this info; I'm mentioning it just in case.
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having same problem.

I got some message saying access denied. So I hit the repair option - now nothing happens when I hit play.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 24, 2017 5:33PM
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got mine working again after I restarted my computer, did "run as administrator" and repaired the game yet again. I think I must have repaired it five times. Argh. I have no idea what the issue was.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, here we are again! Gonna check for windows update. Will keep posted if it works this week.

Yup, just checked for windows update and there isn't one available yet. Like last patch, have to wait til the update is out, manually update Windows (if it doesn't do it automatically) then restart, repair and should be good to go.

I wish SOMEONE from this development "company" would actually acknowledge this problem.

Gonna go ahead and blast some social media regarding their "customer service" in the meantime.
    Edited by Attackfrog on July 25, 2017 1:17AM
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i used to have this problem every single patch and i still do.

BUT

i use this work around and it seems to work perfectly so far ...

1) restart your PC
    2) immediately as soon as you can after loading windows open eso by right click on its icon, choose "run by admin"
    3) on the launcher click where it says "game options" and choose "repair"

when the repair is done immediately restart your PC again. and then repeat steps 2 and 3 and then launch eso.

it has worked perfectly for me every time there's an update by following those steps.

i hope that helps!
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭

BUT

1) restart your PC
    2) immediately as soon as you can after loading windows open eso by right click on its icon, choose "run by admin"

when the repair is done immediately restart your PC again. and then repeat steps 2 and 3 and then launch eso.

it has worked perfectly for me every time there's an update by following those steps.

i hope that helps!

Trying this process now. Usually I try this and it won't work until Windows updates, which for some rrason, I have to run manually since my computer usually checks for updates while I sleep. Sometimes it won't find an update until later in the evening or sometimes Tuesday.

So incredibly frustrating!
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    I tried that, @dwemer_paleologist , but it won't even finish repairing after I restart and launch as admin again.

I think it really depends on the windows update. Or at least for mine....which is stupid because it is the only game that does this.

It would be nice if they could get a fix for it....or at least come in and tell US how to fix it.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • ClanofThir
    I've never, the three years I've been playing this game, ran into this issue. It is so obscure, but I am completely locked out of the game. Error 1005. Evidently, based upon all of your comments, there is no feedback or assistance forthcoming from Zenimax. Guess we wait until there are 50 pages before they will rouse themselves to reply.

I have run as administrator. My drivers and OS are up-to-date. I've run repair and rebooted numerous times. I'm running a state of the art NVidia 1080 graphics card for crying out loud! I have limited time to play but can't.

Yes I am angry and frustrated.
    Edited by ClanofThir on July 25, 2017 3:36AM
    Options
  • ClanofThir
    OK- fourth reboot and then the repair actually ran all the way! Yay! And *drum roll* I can now log in- just in time to go to bed. *sigh*.

Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BUT

1) restart your PC

i hope that helps!
    That's essentially what I did, but you wrote it out so much better than I had.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Rebooted and repaired several times.....Still same situation.

I guess I just have to not play on mondays.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Davorn
    Davorn
    ✭✭
    Got the issue again. I shut down my Firewall, real time scanning. Ran as admin. All this knowing the patch was there. Still got access denied. I ran a repair. Rebooted. Access denied. I did the admin/repair/reboot thing about 5 more times. Removed the game. I just cannot believe they have not fixed this yet.
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Running repair now. Then going to run Windows update, reboot and repair.

Seems to work every week, fingers crossed it works this week.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • Attackfrog
    Attackfrog
    ✭✭✭
    Ran repair a bunch of times and restarted and now it magically works.

So frustrated with this "tech support" that I don't even want to play any more This is by far the worst customer service I have received in any online game....ever.

Blizzard is better. The folks at guild wars are better. Hell...even the people over Marvel Heroes give better tech support. Honestly, I cannot think of one company that has given me worse customer service than this one.

Gonna copy and paste these threads elsewhere so more people are can see the kind of "support" this company gives.
    -A ten-year-old
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Attackfrog sorry you (and so many of us) are having such trouble. It is indeed frustrating and takes a fair amount of the passion for ESO out of it when you realize that every patch risks the loss of your game and having to go find a new one.

I moved from SP (Oblivion, Skyrim) open world medieval fantasy rpg to ESO because I no longer wanted to deal with nursing finicky mod load orders and tech problems. My hope was that, with ESO, I would have a whole team of techies as part of the on line game to deal with all the tech stuff so I could just play. *Sigh*.

Since it is clearly not one person with a wonky puter here, I sure wish Zenimax would come onto this thread and give us some help.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 26, 2017 10:59AM
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Attackfrog sorry you (and so many of us) are having such trouble. It is indeed frustrating and takes a fair amount of the passion for ESO out of it when you realize that every patch risks the loss of your game and having to go find a new one.

I moved from SP (Oblivion, Skyrim) open world medieval fantasy rpg to ESO because I no longer wanted to deal with nursing finicky mod load orders and tech problems. My hope was that, with ESO, I would have a whole team of techies as part of the on line game to deal with all the tech stuff so I could just play. *Sigh*.

Since it is clearly not one person with a wonky puter here, I sure wish Zenimax would come onto this thread and give us some help.

I have tried running as an administrator, disabling virus scans and firewalls, restarting the P.C.....crossing my fingers. None of it has worked and I keep getting the same access denied error. So it's definitely not just one person and a wonky computer.

I'm disappointed we haven't had any mod/dev interaction about this also. It's been an issue now for several days and if they haven't found a solution yet it would be nice to know they are at least aware of it and looking into it.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 26, 2017 2:09PM
    Options
  • youneedahug
    youneedahug
    Soul Shriven
    Having same problem. I have ran the repair countless times while running the launcher as an administrator and have restarted my computer twice.
    Options