The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Counter to Soul Assault

• Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Line of sight and outhealing.

Don't bother blocking it unless you need to stay alive like 1 extra second to pop a defensive ultimate, SnB and like 16% block cost reduction will still annihilate your stamina pool.

If you're a NB, just cloak (or Shadow image if you have one), it only reveals you for a shorter duration than the whole channel.

Positioning and line of sight have rarely been so important to stay alive in open world, so time to hug derm treez / rockz.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wtf, just cloak.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glamdring wrote: »
    Wtf, just cloak.

My Stamina warden would like to personally thank you for this excellent advice
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I answer OP not you
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glamdring wrote: »
    I answer OP not you

Well that's even worse because the OP never said they're a stamina nightblade :)
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJ wrote: »
    Best solution to soul assault? Don't play a proc nightblade who runs from a 1v1 gank if his procs don't all go off. No proc nightblades = no one running soul assault lol ;)
    What that makes no sense at all. Not to mentioned NB are the only class that can counter soul assault you can cloak it after a few seconds.

Soul assault is be strong since its hard counters our main defense.Where my attacks that go through shields or block?Their countless attacks that go through dodge not many that go through shields or block.

Shields - Shieldbreaker. Easiest way. I know what you will say "shields" are stronger than dodge. Nope. Shields are different. Shields are amazing when 1v1, but when you fight against 2 or more decent enemies shields are gone in a blink of an eye. Shields wont protect you against anything else than dmg, so you get snares, stuns, poison effects, debuffs. Also what is very important shields share cd with other skills so you cant animation cancel other skills with shields. Just play a sorc and rush into large battle and you will see how long will you survive.

Roll dodge has its flaws to, like increasing cost, counter skills but also has many arvantages over shields. With just one use you can dodge even 100k damage, number of attackers doesnt matter. You dont recieve any secondary effects like debufs and stuns. You can reposition your self to LOS enemies. It has awesome synergies with some passives and sets (like eternal hunter - I used to love it on my stamblade).

Block - Fear. Fosilize. Rune prison. Srocs curse. Any dot.

What is the best defense against Soul Assault?
    Elussive mist - I use it even on stam toons, its so amazing skill, its better than bolt escape imho.
    Shield ult - ult vs ult.
    Cloak.
    Shield assault channel takes 4s, but reveal lasts only 2s. So you can cut it by a half.
    Shadowy image. You just need to cast it on your target. Run arround an obsticle and when something goes wrong just port back.
    Edited by Mayrael on June 22, 2017 8:32AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never been killed by this skill :/

I tried it out for about an hour in pvp and it was so bad I switch back to meteor

Really? I fry people all the time with it. When you've got a dw sorc and a 85k tooltip it's hard not to kill someone. Curse frag beam dead.

It is a stupid skill. The only stamina counter I've found is an ambush and blood thirst spam and vigor through it.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I tried it out for about an hour in pvp and it was so bad I switch back to meteor

Really? I fry people all the time with it. When you've got a dw sorc and a 85k tooltip it's hard not to kill someone. Curse frag beam dead.

It is a stupid skill. The only stamina counter I've found is an ambush and blood thirst spam and vigor through it.

I also play a mdk so I'm not sure about the pains of Stam characters with this skill but it's does not effect me to much.

Block> Igneous>embers>dragons blood>igneous again and it's over

I'm just shock people die from this bc I get hit with it often and I always say what a useless ult
  • Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    OhAmex wrote: »
    Soul assault used to be able to be countered by bashing.. but it sucks they patched it so you can't bash it.

and they recently made a change to the templar ability with that dark yellow bubble.. i forget its name but it reflects projectiles. but now you can't break free from that and it sucks lol

Dark yellow bubble? sounds like Templar's shield which doesn't reflect anything but damage.

Perhaps you were thinking of total dark but thats a black bubble or defensive stance s&b

..and if you can't break free from that, its your own cc..

Edited by Goshua on June 22, 2017 9:17AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you don't need to block all ticks, you can block some and still heal you with vigor/rally.

One of the best counter is being offensive : use vigor then violently attack the caster, they have no defense while soul assaulting, so attack them, they will die, or block for cancel the soul assault and not diyng
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best solution to soul assault? Don't play a proc nightblade who runs from a 1v1 gank if his procs don't all go off. No proc nightblades = no one running soul assault lol ;)
    What that makes no sense at all. Not to mentioned NB are the only class that can counter soul assault you can cloak it after a few seconds.

Soul assault is be strong since its hard counters our main defense.Where my attacks that go through shields or block?Their countless attacks that go through dodge not many that go through shields or block.

Every dot goes through block
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel I need to repeat: How about dodge-roll once?
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SilverWF wrote: »
    I feel I need to repeat: How about dodge-roll once?

You can't dodge roll Soul beam and you'll eat the full dmg ~8k during the dodge roll + stam for the roll why would you do that?
  • Wrubius_Coronaria
    Wrubius_Coronaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all these peoples above who said to dodgeroll, cloak or heal for counter soul assault, you need to know this about this ultimate :

- Undodgeable
    - No possibilities to heal (if you're doing this, you're not blocking anymore and taking full damages)
    - Impossible to use cloak (or become invisible with potions)
    - 70% snare
    - you can't interrupt the caster.

I invent nothing, all of this in wrote in tooltip.

And now, try to apply your own advices let's see what is happening.

This skill is overkill, has no counter and has been buffed too much. I'm not a fan of nerfs, but this skill need a serious rework and need one counter at least.
    And this is worse in battlegrounds because less max health, and effective healing. (with a stamina build heals are quite bad without cp)
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every magicka user easily survive it, every heavy stam user outheal (paired with block) it too. Nightblades just cloak in 2 sec, reducing damage taken by 50%.
    Medium armor has some problems, agreed, but it's not ultimate's, it's a medium weakness.
    Edited by Ashamray on June 22, 2017 10:33AM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iyas wrote: »
    There are enough Stam builds who survive 1-2 Soul assaults. Dont build a squishy char

Oh crap, stamina builds surviving it? Can we get a buff going, ZOS?
  • Kay1
    Kay1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna quote one guy and tell him he must be spamming it but never mind because it looks like the 90% of this thread use it lol.

No skill ultimate without counters, that's what the zerglings love, the no counter part.
    K1 The Big Monkey
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am still surprised this ultimate is not more popular. Everytime you play medium and some capable sorc starts casting it (capable = it is not his opener, his curse will hit you during the channel, execute is casted and at least one shield is refreshed before starting) it is over. Not over that you die, but over that if you keep fighting for 10sec longer they will use it again and then you will die.
    And damage is not even the problem (tho I still fail to see why it has better damage scaling that bow ulti while lacking any counters), it is damn stamina drain. Any mag user casting it and you will be the one with stamina problem in the fight, not them.
    Someone in this thread suggested the best and easiest fix (or if not fix, something better than is now) -> LESS DMG TICKS

... and it doesnt drain only 15k (the cost of blocking 7 ticks of soul assault) it also stops at least 2, usually 3 regen ticks (thats anything between 3600 to 6600 stamina)
    Edited by SodanTok on June 22, 2017 11:38AM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're in PvP.. so, you should already be in a group or some zerg. If one is being blasted by a soul assault, can any of the others bombard that toon who is throwing out that soul assault? To me, it is similar to throwing out the Jesus beam. You're only hitting one target, and while the beam is blasting that one target or boss, the other adds are right on you and pommeling you. You can't fight back because you're still beaming that one target. Hence, I don't slot that beam on my StamPlar. I would think you can also put some hurt on that one who is soul assaulting while he/she is engaged on that toon/target.. yeah? Well, unless you're dueling.. hmmm
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    I am still surprised this ultimate is not more popular. Everytime you play medium and some capable sorc starts casting it (capable = it is not his opener, his curse will hit you during the channel, execute is casted and at least one shield is refreshed before starting) it is over. Not over that you die, but over that if you keep fighting for 10sec longer they will use it again and then you will die.
    And damage is not even the problem (tho I still fail to see why it has better damage scaling that bow ulti while lacking any counters), it is damn stamina drain. Any mag user casting it and you will be the one with stamina problem in the fight, not them.
    Someone in this thread suggested the best and easiest fix (or if not fix, something better than is now) -> LESS DMG TICKS

... and it doesnt drain only 15k (the cost of blocking 7 ticks of soul assault) it also stops at least 2, usually 3 regen ticks (thats anything between 3600 to 6600 stamina)

But it is popular. I dont think Im exaggerating when I say 50% of my deaths are because of soul assault in BGs.

It's instant death. Youre forced to block and even while blocking it hits for upwards of 20k damage total when youre in medium armour. Meanwhile your stamina regen is cut and most of your stamina pool is drained. If the soul assault doesnt kill you outright, youre left completely out of stamina and vulnerable.

I think people have no idea how strong this ulti really is vs normal medium armour builds because so many people are playing procblades that can cloak it after 2 seconds.Sometimes I see people swapping from their normal ultis to soul assault mid-BG if theyre having trouble dealing with me. It's just silly.

Easy fix for this ulti is reintroducing bashing as a counter. Actually, a ton of abilities/ultimates need to have counters again...
    Edited by Valencer on June 22, 2017 12:36PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There are always attacks that go through block: It is called Penetration. If you want to be able to break through blocked defenses even better they will need to bring back stamina regeneration (they already should). I personally feel they need to come up with something better than removing regeneration from block, but I've stated all this before.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Valencer wrote: »

But it is popular. I dont think Im exaggerating when I say 50% of my deaths are because of soul assault in BGs.

It's instant death. Youre forced to block and even while blocking it hits for upwards of 20k damage total when youre in medium armour. Meanwhile your stamina regen is cut and most of your stamina pool is drained. If the soul assault doesnt kill you outright, youre left completely out of stamina and vulnerable.

I think people have no idea how strong this ulti really is vs normal medium armour builds because so many people are playing procblades that can cloak it after 2 seconds.Sometimes I see people swapping from their normal ultis to soul assault mid-BG if theyre having trouble dealing with me. It's just silly

Not just that, half the population already ignores it because it deals magic damage which for some reason is huge no for many stam people. If they realized that in no CP they deal the same damage as mag builds and in CP they deal only 10-15% less than most mag builds because it scales of max damage/resource, many more would slot it.

If everyone finally jumped on the train and at least backbared this ult, we could finally get back heavy armor meta stronger and better than before. Also 1vX would be over.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »

I think people have no idea how strong this ulti really is vs normal medium armour builds because so many people are playing procblades that can cloak it after 2 seconds.Sometimes I see people swapping from their normal ultis to soul assault mid-BG if theyre having trouble dealing with me. It's just silly

Not just that, half the population already ignores it because it deals magic damage which for some reason is huge no for many stam people. If they realized that in no CP they deal the same damage as mag builds and in CP they deal only 10-15% less than most mag builds because it scales of max damage/resource, many more would slot it.

If everyone finally jumped on the train and at least backbared this ult, we could finally get back heavy armor meta stronger and better than before. Also 1vX would be over.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH.

Keep quiet. :no_mouth:
    And that's one of the reasons I'll stick to heavy armor this patch
    Edited by Asmael on June 22, 2017 12:52PM
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »
    What about the counter to sorcs that heavy attack you with the oblivion damage set with oblivion enchant while simultaneously soul assaulting you with a 95k tooltip while in a shield?? Can we have that counter??

If they are really heavy attacking while using Soul Assault then the best counter is probably to report them.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I used it on my Templar wearing Soulshine and I thought it was garbage too. Jesus Beam did more way more damage.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    People haven't yet realized how deadly SA can be when used by a mag warden. Combo as follows:
    1. Cliff racer- no counter other than block
  • Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    2. LA with oblivion enchant proc 3. force pulse 4. SA 5. deep fissure hits by now (also no counter with block or rolledoge)
  • Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    and since you are mid channel with a SA and they are being slowed by 70 the deep fissure will always line up
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Counter for Soul Assoult:

- Line of side
    - Healingstaff ult (Light´s Champion)
    - Bursthealskills like Healing Ward, Honor the dead, 2H Weapon instant heal "Rally" with using it again, Shields
    - the easist way as nightblade is your cloak. This works like Line of side for SA and skills like purifying light dont deal damage too...
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Hoked_on_ponix
    Hoked_on_ponix
    ✭✭✭
    http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Hoked on Ponix/video/32700238

How was he supposed to counter this combo? or any stam character for that matter.
This discussion has been closed.