The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does this bother you at all?

• Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭
    The only time this has ever bothered me was as a new healer trying to level up my healing skills, so I could morph them. I'd let some mudcrabs beat up on me while I healed myself. Players would wander by and kill them. /facepalm

Edited by Zalicius on June 19, 2017 3:27PM
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost never formally group up with other players, so I don't mind when they jump in on a mob. In my way of thinking, informal grouping that results from circumstances within the game is how things should be; formal grouping is not a normal way for people to behave... it's not like we're in the Army in a squad, a platoon, a company, a battalion, a brigade, a division, or a corps... we're playing a freaking game.
    This is especially true when I' on my Templar healer or my siphoning Nightblade... I've never seen anyone *** about somebody healing them, yet... usually people *** that you don't heal them well enough, as if being an idiot and taking on more damage from a mob is a reasonable thing to do...
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the help I can get. I just don't like it when I'm fighting so I can get to a node or chest and someone steals the node or chest while I'm fighting.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CMFan1966 wrote: »
    Does it bother you or are you grateful for the help?
    Neither. I don't consider it "help" and it also doesn't bother me at all.
    smile.gif
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tecorsuh wrote: »
    When I use to do overland grinding with my wife, it would just *** us off when we would get a large pull of mobs and a group of "idiots" would run in and AoE our pull of mobs down. Literally no exp for anyone when that happens. Seriously, if the example group of mobs would normally give us 10k exp, it would get cut down to 2-3k or less if a group of people were to "help" us. Now imagine that group following you around and tagging every group you pull. We don't do any overland grinding anymore though, so yeah I don't really care if someone attacks mobs that I am.
    If you don't know the sweet spot for exp gained to number of people is 2. 1 person gains a standard amount of exp. 2 people get a bit of a bonus to the exp. 3 people get less than standard exp. A group of 6 people cuts the exp down significantly. A group of 12 almost cuts it down to almost nil. Exception being dolmens because you're awarded an activity completed experience, not just mob experience.
    I think there are people who don't know about this, actually, unless they've been playing the game a long time and read about it in forums like this. They might not realize the XP gets cut. They might think that everybody gets equal XP, especially if they've only been playing a few months or less.

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 19, 2017 4:40PM
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The developers designed the game so that if you tap a mob, you get a portion of the xp. I don't care who you are or what you're doing...if I am running by you, I'm going to add a light attack or other ability. XP is XP...I am not breaking any rules, it's part of the game....so what if it "bothers" other players...I'm not doing anything against the rules.

Yes, it may be upsetting or frustrating to other players, I get that and a "moral/ethical" discussion could be argued against not doing it...but as long as you're not breaking the rules, it is acceptable in my book.
  • Tecorsuh
    Tecorsuh
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    When I use to do overland grinding with my wife, it would just *** us off when we would get a large pull of mobs and a group of "idiots" would run in and AoE our pull of mobs down. Literally no exp for anyone when that happens. Seriously, if the example group of mobs would normally give us 10k exp, it would get cut down to 2-3k or less if a group of people were to "help" us. Now imagine that group following you around and tagging every group you pull. We don't do any overland grinding anymore though, so yeah I don't really care if someone attacks mobs that I am.
    If you don't know the sweet spot for exp gained to number of people is 2. 1 person gains a standard amount of exp. 2 people get a bit of a bonus to the exp. 3 people get less than standard exp. A group of 6 people cuts the exp down significantly. A group of 12 almost cuts it down to almost nil. Exception being dolmens because you're awarded an activity completed experience, not just mob experience.
    I think a lot of people don't know about this, actually, unless they've been playing the game a long time and read about it in forums like this. They might not realize the XP gets cut. They might think that everybody gets equal XP, especially if they've only been playing a few months or less.

EXP technically does get split evenly. I don't know the exact formula, but it goes something like:
    # of people = Total Exp % = % Per Person
    1 Person = 100% = 100% per person
    2 People = 220% = 110% per person
    3 People = 230% = 75% per person
    4 People = 240% = 60% per person
    6 People = 260% = 45% per person
    12 People = 320% = 25% per person
    24 People = 440% = 18% per person

The reason why we would get so annoyed at people was because this was back when vet ranks were still a thing, and we were grinding out a 2nd or 3rd character in one of the few high density mob locations for the Vet level we were on: the dreugh at Vivec's Antlers if I remember correctly.

I remember us engaging a large group of mobs, someone was watching and waiting for the pull. They jumped into it and started aoeing it, and we let them have it. They died shortly afterward. I think that is what annoyed us the most; they obviously couldn't handle grinding like we were doing, but they still wanted exp for it. They were leeching any exp they could get off of people actually grinding in the area. More annoying than that were the groups that would run around, toss a ground DoT, and move on to the next pair who were grinding to tag their mobs. Just tagging the mobs so they would gain exp when we killed it.

These people weren't your typical noobs who are doing a quest and innocently tag your mobs not knowing you were grinding. I have had that happen, and wasn't ever upset about it. It's the people who can't grind on their own and don't care if the exp gets cut down as long as they are getting it. The ones who follow you around even after it is explained that three is a crowd when grinding for exp. It's still quite upsetting just thinking about it.

Now, since OT, it hasn't been that bad because there aren't any level specific grind spots. Now, I can just move away to a different grind spot if somebody was following me around like that. Plus with instanced grind spots, like Skyreach Catacombs, there isn't any need to fight people over mobs.

• thesilverball_ESO
    thesilverball_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me at all. I expect it. Sometimes, it's also helpful because I'm trying to get someplace quickly. It's an MMO. People are in the game with you playing. People who have an issue with it should get a single player game for their pc. ;)
  • Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually really appreciate it. The one exception is if I'm challenging myself against a world boss and have it 75% down. I wish I could waive off the aid in that case. But I don't get bent out of shape about it. If I really want to solo a public boss or mob, I do it at a quiet time when I'm less likely to get extra help that will take the edge off my win.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It kind of depends on the situation. In most cases I see no reason to. There was one public dungeon I was running through with my brother trying to help him get leveled and then the next thing I know we have some tag along and while it was a little annoying, It really didn't bug me until he started asking in chat what we were going to do next as though he was invited into our party.
    I told him "I don't know what you're going to do next, but we are just leveling."
    Had he actually asked to see if he could have joined us, I may have said yes, but the fact that he went to the extent of just assuming he could join us and spent a lot of time wandering around with us annoyed me.
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses to this. It makes me feel better about helping out. What caused me to ask is that I was watching someone fight something or other late last night and I sent some heals in their direction. The player killed the target, but I got a share of the spoils. It didn't seem quite fair to me since I really didn't do anything except for heal the player.

And to those who I annoyed with the title of my thread, let me apologize. It was the middle of the night when the question came to me. My brain cells had started to shut down for the night, but at my age, if you don't get the idea out, you could lose it forever.
  • CountEdmondDantes
    CountEdmondDantes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people don't know about this, actually, unless they've been playing the game a long time and read about it in forums like this. They might not realize the XP gets cut. They might think that everybody gets equal XP, especially if they've only been playing a few months or less.
    The reason why we would get so annoyed at people was because this was back when vet ranks were still a thing, and we were grinding out a 2nd or 3rd character in one of the few high density mob locations for the Vet level we were on: the dreugh at Vivec's Antlers if I remember correctly.

This is illuminating since when I started, about three months ago, I ran into a group at Vivec's Antlers who gave me a lot of crap for trying to finish the quest (great quest, by the way). It's not like I needed to kill dreugh to finish the quest but it sure makes it pointless and silly if I just run from quest stage to quest stage doing nothing.

What made me humored was the way they approached me: spamming area chats in ALL CAPS (red text). Things like: WERE FARMING HERE A**HOLE and WERE HERE FIRST.

What made it funny to me was it was 3:00 a.m. my time (USA, East Cost) and I was up playing (I suffer a bit of insomnia ... old man's disease) to clear my mind. They're behavior just made me laugh, mostly since - like you said - this was two to three months ago and there are lot better places to farm than Vivec's Antlers.

So I baited them a bit, sending group invites and helping make sure those nasty dreughs weren't too much for them.

Edited by CountEdmondDantes on June 19, 2017 7:25PM
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keldheir wrote: »
    It depends on the situation. Usually I don't really mind some other player joining the fight against a delve boss or some random mobs. I don't need the help but hey, they get xp, I get xp, everything's fine. I join the fight of others too, but only if their health gets really low and it looks like they are about to die.
    Only when I fight a quest boss and some max level moron steps in and kills them in two hits, completely ruining the quest and my mood, then I am extremely anoyed.

Exactly this
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Tecorsuh
    Tecorsuh
    ✭✭

This is illuminating since when I started, about three months ago, I ran into a group at Vivec's Antlers who gave me a lot of crap for trying to finish the quest (great quest, by the way). It's not like I needed to kill dreugh to finish the quest but it sure makes it pointless and silly if I just run from quest stage to quest stage doing nothing.

What made me humored was the way they approached me: spamming area chats in ALL CAPS (red text). Things like: WERE FARMING HERE A**HOLE and WERE HERE FIRST.

What made it funny to me was it was 3:00 a.m. my time (USA, East Cost) and I was up playing (I suffer a bit of insomnia ... old man's disease) to clear my mind. They're behavior just made me laugh, mostly since - like you said - this was two to three months ago and there are lot better places to farm than Vivec's Antlers.

So I baited them a bit, sending group invites and helping make sure those nasty dreughs weren't too much for them.

I think people forget that there are actually quests in this game. You messing up one or two pulls because you're killing mobs while doing the quest wouldn't be that big of a deal for them. They were probably running a route and could afford to skip the mobs you grabbed. Honestly though, they were probably trying to claim all the mobs in the area and deserved every bit of grief you gave them, lmao.

I remember that I hated grinding Vivec's Antler because there were always people like that. Didn't matter who was there first, they would proclaim that they were there first and we needed to leave. Yeah, we'd troll the *** out of people like that too. Mainly, we would gather up mobs on their route and kill them before the other people could catch up to us. Sometimes, we'd get a very large pull that we could survive and let them take aggro on everything and die. We were just generally making sure their grinding experience was terrible.

It's still a decent grind spot, but it's better to farm dolmens or Skyreach Catacombs.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm grinding/farming loot then I don't mind, but when I have a quest about killing Boss of Shadowfen questline and some 40k+ dps is just sitting and waiting for its respawn, then It annoys me.
    PC/EU
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind if someone joins me. It's not MY game. However, out of respect, if I see someone soloing a boss and they know what they are doing and don''t appear to need (or want) any help I'll leave them be.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me at all. The worst that can happen for me in that situation is that I just used my ultimate and then some people show up and the fight is over before the ultimate runs out, or it's an AoE and they pull the enemies out of it. But even then it's not a big deal.

I do sometimes avoid joining in when other people are fighting though. If they look like they're struggling I'll jump in straight away, but if not I'll often let them get on with it just because I don't know what they're really doing. Maybe they're grinding and the tiny extra bit of XP is actually important to them. Maybe they're role-playing and it'd ruin whatever story is running in their head (but then maybe ignoring the fight would too), maybe it's simply not on the path I was planning to take and it doesn't seem worth going over there when they're fine on their own. Whatever the reason it's about 50/50 whether I'll join in or leave them to it.

Very rarely I have encountered people who start screaming about "kill stealing" and ganking (which I thought referred specifically to killing players) if someone does join in with the fight, but that's usually in a low level zone, which means there's plenty of people around willing to explain that this game doesn't work like that and no one stole your loot or XP or whatever else you expected to get from that mud crab.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind if he's alone. I mind if there are 2 of them.
    You're reducing my xp gain, you ***!
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have zero problem with it as long as I still get credit for the kill and loot. with world bosses especially, if I'm doing it for the quest, i don't even mind if I get no loot, as long as i get the credit (I chose not to join the group, so losing loot is a possible consequence of that choice) i DO mind if someone rolls in and one shots things so i get no kill credit, no quest item, etc.

but.. I also don't xp grind mobs, bulk of my xp comes from quest turn ins, so my preferences are different from those of people who are specificaly killing things for xp
    Edited by Linaleah on June 19, 2017 11:05PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"