Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Battlegrounds are a terrible experience.

LoLitsNeal
LoLitsNeal
Soul Shriven
Let me just start by saying I have been playing for about four months now and have enjoyed almost every moment of it. I have been looking forward to battlegrounds for some time now as I was an avid prior MMO Battlegrounder.

The battleground experience right now is absolutely terrible. Premade teams of highly tuned proc builds 1 shot anyone who is even remotely not an op meta one shot class. Time to kill is literally around 3 seconds in 1v1 and even lower 1vx.

This is incredibly elitest and not what i was expecting or hoping at all. My first 10 battlegrounds all resulted in getting completely facerolled with zero chance for any fun.

I get that I could roll one of like the 3 overpowered 1 shot classes that comprise 80% of the battlegrounds scene but this is just rediculous.
I doubt I will be returning to battlegrounds anytime soon and i am positive this has left a bad impression on most of the community who has tried with the exception of the 5% of the playerbase who knows how to take advantage of every non cp strategy possible.

Let the learn to plays roll in, but that doesnt change the fact it is an absoluttely terrible experience for 95% of the ESO population.
If Morrowind BGs were pitched as elitest stompfest where 2 builds will reign supreme without a single chance for a majority of the playerbase I would imagine this would make people cringe. But the fact is true.

This rant is in hopes that ZOS does something to tune down certain sets and dmg in non CP and fix this disappointment.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, whatever happened to resource management and stuff that people were asking for? TTK is too low. Oneshots shouldn't be possible.
  • sittaraha1_ESO
    I agree with op's statement. I had tired to be open about battle grounds but ended up thinking I will never play in them again since I have been one shot more that I could image or had one fellow just stealth kill me repeatedly in one instance.
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoLitsNeal wrote: »
    Let me just start by saying I have been playing for about four months now and have enjoyed almost every moment of it. I have been looking forward to battlegrounds for some time now as I was an avid prior MMO Battlegrounder.

The battleground experience right now is absolutely terrible. Premade teams of highly tuned proc builds 1 shot anyone who is even remotely not an op meta one shot class. Time to kill is literally around 3 seconds in 1v1 and even lower 1vx.

This is incredibly elitest and not what i was expecting or hoping at all. My first 10 battlegrounds all resulted in getting completely facerolled with zero chance for any fun.

I get that I could roll one of like the 3 overpowered 1 shot classes that comprise 80% of the battlegrounds scene but this is just rediculous.
    I doubt I will be returning to battlegrounds anytime soon and i am positive this has left a bad impression on most of the community who has tried with the exception of the 5% of the playerbase who knows how to take advantage of every non cp strategy possible.

Let the learn to plays roll in, but that doesnt change the fact it is an absoluttely terrible experience for 95% of the ESO population.
    If Morrowind BGs were pitched as elitest stompfest where 2 builds will reign supreme without a single chance for a majority of the playerbase I would imagine this would make people cringe. But the fact is true.

This rant is in hopes that ZOS does something to tune down certain sets and dmg in non CP and fix this disappointment.

I'm sorry your experience with BGS hasn't been good but have you thought to yourself maybe just maybe it's your playing style or your build.
    I'm no elitist I don't win every battle I fight, there's sometimes I get out out played or skilled I try to work on my build and work on my skill so I can more BGS
    Gold Company Commander
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your not a no skill oneshot proctard NB, you ll need thousand hours of pvp practice and the best gear to feeel comfortable in BG.

Sorry.
  • MrTtheDK
    MrTtheDK
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see a problem with builds in BGs but more so Grouping/Skill Level. I run with very experienced players that can "1vX" and often in Cyro we are fighting groups 5-8 times larger than our own. So when BGs came out we are now facing groups our own size? It's a face roll for us. Most of the time we don't suffer a single death. A group rocking high WD like VMA agility and hundings is still goingto wipe you just as fast. Ranked play is what is needed but I don't think there are enough players for it.
    Edited by MrTtheDK on June 18, 2017 5:31PM
    Main:
    DC- Diablo Azul , Mr T

Alts: Nerf Something or Another

Guild: - Imperial City Police
    RIP Guilds: Purple, WKB, Eight Divines, Rage, What Mechanics, Entropy Rising
    Game: @TalosSeptim
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta have some top tier PvP experience to have a chance in BGs. You will have top tier groups and top tier solo players.

You can't just roll in with a PvE build, you have to have a dedicated PvP build
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • FeaR Turbo
    FeaR Turbo
    Class Representative
    Team play is a huge part of BG.
    People with high damage usually have bad sustain or not enough juice in the tank to heal. That is where teamwork comes in and having a said healer or resource management player comes in. Or comboing damage with 2 players to end a fight quicker than normal.

In NO CP you get hit even harder than you normally would
    To counter this your team must put pressure on the other teams so that you are playing offense and defense not just defense and healing all the time till you have an ult to put pressure.

Teamwork is a massive part of BG.

You will see the solo yolo guys that are use to picking their fights with high regen and ult ready will die because BG are team based and in your face. The pace of the games are fast and real time decision making is needed for 2/3 game modes.
    Edited by FeaR Turbo on June 18, 2017 6:52PM
  • Jawasa
    Jawasa
    ✭✭✭
    For me the worst part is playing bg in off hours as a solo player. Most games it's me and a lvl 10-49 vs 3-4 man premade on atleast one other team.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I firmly believe ZOS just don't care. They got our money and thus are laughing it up. People like myself are very unhappy we didn't get the product that was sold to us. However there is nothing else left to do at this point. But to accept the loss from the scam. Make note of all of the names, of the people involved in the scam. And then to never ever put forth any money on any thing these guys will touch in the future. Basically you treat these guys just like how you would treat Hello Games, the makers of No Man's Sky.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on June 18, 2017 11:56PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Battlegrounds are a terrible experience."

i thought the same thing as well.
    sorcerers dominate everything, and other people are allowed to kick you out for no reason.
    i simply hate the battle grounds, i prefer open world pvp, atleast in Vvardenfell.
  • AnteCoyote
    AnteCoyote
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped using proc sets and I'm doing just fine. I'm pretty tanky and I have burst damage whenever I need it. I feel like using proc sets against me is actually a bad idea. Sure, you get an initial burst, but I can generally survive that and heal up. If you build all around burst and the burst doesn't cut it, it's a resources game at that point.

I've been chased by super bursty players in groups, and they hurt, but I can just block their burst and then they can't kill me. It's the super coordinated groups with good group comps that absolutely melt me. If you've got 2 high damage guys, heal debuffs and sorcs and templars spamming executes, that really messes me up. No procs required, just coordinated strikes.
    Aldmeri Dominion -J'Ualizz - Siphons-Spirits - S'Renrij - Byz Only Sweeps - Winds-Roots
    Daggerfall Covenant - Lucky Lakhim
    North America
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I can just speak from personal experience. BGs are awesome to me. Yes, they could use more fine tuning with the que system and matchmaking, but the concept is strong. I've got a fair amount of PvP experience as a mSorc, mostly dueling and zerg surfing.

I wear all gold Shacklebreaker and Lich, using the meta mSorc skill setup. My burst with Curse + CShock + Fury + Frags is strong enough to take down unprepared opponents in a 4 second window. My survivability with shield stacking and Streak gets me out of outnumber situations, and Boundless helps me run quickly between capture points or carrying a flag.

I still get wrecked by coordinated teams, especially when mine is not, and since I usually que solo, that can happen easily. I've been insta-killed by proc set guys plenty of times, but it often comes down to who gets the jump on the other one first. And I've faced a number of very tanky opponents that basically required more than one person to kill, which can be particularly frustrating if they are a flag carrier.

That's the state of BGs right now. It takes a solid and well executed PvP build, good understanding of team play and of the kind of opposition you will face. The skill and characer progression bar is high, which works for me, but I can certainly understand how it can be frustrating for others. Hopefully we'll see future implementation of matchmaking that pits people of similar experience and skill against each other. For now... you'd best be prepared to bring it.
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soft caps. Bring them back.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soft caps. Bring them back.

Soft caps will only serve to make Proc sets even stronger. In their current form.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have to say... I like the first few BGs I did - but once you hit a certain time, you get all the cancer builds online at the same time. It's absolutely zero fun.

I'd like to see some "ranked" versions of this game. Whereby your alliance rank, or BG rank will determine the grouping. You'd get far more people playing if they were matched up against equally skilled opponents. Pretty much EVERY game that has player vs player (whether is MLB the show or Mortal Kombat) has some kind of ranking system that you work your way up as you learn to play. You learning nothing from getting your butt handed to you in 2 hits... nothing at all.

Actually not true... you learn to not bother with BG and, or, ESO...

BTW... capture the flag is pointless mode. 30 seconds of gameplay usually...
  • StereoLiz
    StereoLiz
    ✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    I'd like to see some "ranked" versions of this game. Whereby your alliance rank, or BG rank will determine the grouping.

Alliance rank matching wouldn't work. Expirienced player allways can make new character and faceroll through new players.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a lot of assumptions about BGs prior to official launch based off of patch notes and current pvp state alone that I see echoed in the OP.

It's all documented IN THIS THREAD I really tried to bring awareness but most of my opinion was disregarded by the biased, agenda driven pvp elite.

Well now its all true. its not assumption. Everything listed in my OP is a real problem. I gave warden some leeway but i take it back now, warden is getting abused now.
    Edited by Rickter on June 19, 2017 1:19PM
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW... capture the flag is pointless mode. 30 seconds of gameplay usually...

Capture the relic and Domination are pointless, the 4v4v4 setup makes it non competitive to me, I've been in too many games where people will just run and grab whatever relic we're not fighting for and take it back to base uncontested - Games are over in 3 minutes (What is the point)

Proc sets are still proc sets and there's absolutely no need for a power sigil to spawn which makes Selene's hit me for 14k through heavy and whatever else.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed them for the PvP, good mixture of classes in my experience (No magblades yet though) but everything else.

IMO If these were 4v4 they'd be much more competitive and enjoyable, there's too many capping points in domination and CTF for weak players who are only interested in rewards in their mailbox.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Fake Remedy
    Fake Remedy
    ✭✭✭
    The title is so general but the post is actually a very specific experience.

Not going to hit you with the l2p, carebear nonsense. It's a shame some players are having a bad time in battlegrounds. It is on ZOS.

On the other side of the stick. (Once you get past the queuing system) Rolling over poorly geared, inexperienced players is also a terrible experience. The play to win leaderboard is an insult. An appropriate ranking system would be progressive for all players.
    Fake Remedy

yt. Fake_Remedy
    twitch. Fake_Remedy
    discord. fake_remedy#3254
    e. fake_remedy@hotmail.com
  • Draekony
    Draekony
    ✭✭
    They need to take note from overwatch and pair premade groups against premade groups, or a group of 3 and 1 pug, not 4 pugs vs 4 pregrouped people.

Maybe make a ranked bracket for premades and such.
    Edited by Draekony on June 19, 2017 3:54PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some things that need to be toned down (proc sets, poisons...) and matchmaking needs work.

Sure there are frustrations, but I am loving BGs.

I win some, I lose some, I occasionally do the wrecking, I often get wrecked. I wasn't expecting anything else.

What is nice to see is that there are truly dozens of viable builds and build variants ranging from class cannons to tanks.

Hopefully, with the new data BGs are generating, we'll see a balance pass in a relatively soon patch that will relieve some of the issues.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on June 19, 2017 6:16PM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    It should be hard to play in BG.
    But here should be something done with VIper and same ***, because in no_cp pvp they are not low-down as all the skills of players, so it's doing disbalance.
    It's boring to use combinations like: Tremor+Viper, Selene+VIper\Red Mountain\Widowmaker etc instant proc sets.
    And boring to fight with "full of honour" players, who think that such win is a win.
    Such cowards 1 vs 1 mostly dieth fast, but, they focusing 2-4 vs 1, so doing big proc-burst with very small chance to avoid all this viper stings or autoaiming Selene's procs.

@Wrobel, Make procsets not instant and bring back crit damage chance.
    It's a right change, not that non-crit "nerf", which done these sets useless inPvE, but left them as the same boring pain in PvP.
    And, delete or nerf cost-poisons (in this patch they are with a number even 20% too strong)
    @Anethum from .ua
  • Takuto
    Takuto
    ✭✭✭
    There are a ton of design issues with the BGs:

1) No MMR, so you match up random newbie level 10s against grand overlords with thousands of hours of PvP experience.
    2) Likewise it loves to match up solo-queued pugs against pre-made pvp groups. This is a miserable experience, especially in death-match.
    3) It forces you to zone in and out between matches and requeue for no reason. Almost as if they even assumed that your experience would be so bad you wouldn't want to come back?
    4) You can't set up a match without the queue. This means player run tournaments, challenges or grudge matches as simply impossible. Seriously, why design it like this? The only reason 4 player dungeons work at all is the fact that most people don't use the group finder and set up groups themselves.

Eternal Destiny (PC/NA)
    Dead Wait (PC/NA Haderus AD)
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I freaking love BG's. I pug in and win and I premade and lose. This is seriously the funnest thing ESO has done, amazing fights not horse simulators of cyrodil.

Mind you cyrodil is hella fun when trying to take a keep or defend it. But it's usually an endless farm around chalman SNORESVILLE!

So what can't beat the premade teams with their strong builds. Then bring your own premade or accept the L with your pug group of newbies and enjoy the practice.
  • robdacoolb14a_ESO
    robdacoolb14a_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Decided to try them out today, I'm level 22, got grouped with a few other low levels and every other team was champion 400 or better. lol, It even said "joining a non-champion battleground' or something along those lines.
  • darvaria
    darvaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually not true... you learn to not bother with BG and, or, ESO...

• BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decided to try them out today, I'm level 22, got grouped with a few other low levels and every other team was champion 400 or better. lol, It even said "joining a non-champion battleground' or something along those lines.

It still shows their CP but they've no access to any of it.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    biased, agenda driven pvp elite.
    :|

Edited by timidobserver on June 22, 2017 8:42AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Anethum
    Anethum
    ✭✭✭✭
    experience how it is
    285c045.png
    @Anethum from .ua
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I am really enjoying them. The proc sets are a little outta control, I don't care what anyone says it kills the skill of the game. Sets like viper or red mountain should not exist in their current forms. Sets like valkyn or Selene that have a huge telegraph those are really ok imo, wouldn't mind if they left too but atleast there exists some counterplay.

That being said BG's are alot of dang fun. You can spend your time completing actual objectives not worrying about the Zergs and all that BS. It's good fun for you and all. And yeah cp is off. I mean things die in there so quickly, really fast paced and fun. Breathing new life into PvP for me.
This discussion has been closed.