The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How are players using 5 skills in under a second?!

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    The global cooldown for skills is around 0.7 seconds, so its entirely possible to get ambush, light attack, and surprise attack in under a second.

The "macro slice" can also be accidentally triggered through lag.

People need to not be so quick to assume that the people killing them are doing so by cheating.

No the global cooldown for skills is 0.9-1 seconds.

0.7 seconds is the GCD for light attacks.
    Excuuuuse me! The developers of the World of Warcraft invented the Global Cooldown, or so I was informed by a veteran player after I had begun to play the game. I even wrote Lua code to maintain an add-on for it. In WoW, a Global Cooldown (acronymn GCD) which follows using each and every ability/spell, by default, has the same time span of 1 second. It prevents players from spamming them, i.e., from repeatedly hitting the key to which an ability/spell is bound -- or just holding the key down -- to use it in rapid succession. The GCD applies to all classes except the Warrior -- since there is no benefit to spamming a Warrior ability, they need no cooldown. There are a few abilities among other classes which have no effect upon combat, so they also are not followed by a cooldown. That said, many WoW abilities/spells are followed by a cooldown that is longer than the GCD, which is simply a default value.

In other words, none of the varying values that players continually attribute to The Elder Scrolls Online "Global Cooldown" (acronym GCD) for skills constitute a global cooldown. Whether there is a truly global cooldown remains unclear. Personally, I've begun to doubt that there is one in TESO. Instead, there are cooldowns of various lengths that follow using one or more specific abilities/spells. I'm reasonably certain that there is no cooldown that follows using many abilities.

On the other hand, if TESO does have an actual default Global Cooldown, then all of the time-spans that have been attributed to it cannot be correct, and maybe none of them are. What is it about "global" that so many players apparently don't understand?

Hudson's 3rd Law of Language: over time, jargon tends to become meaningless mind-mush even for the cognoscenti.

There is a universal cooldown that governs when you are able to use an ability after a previous one. There are plenty of ui addons that display this in real time. Blocking, dodge rolling and bashing are off the gcd. Light attacks and bar swap are akin to white attacks from traditional mmo combat. They occupy an inactive space in between the gcd but not entirely off of it like the actions mentioned above.

You can spin it any way you want.. the term has been used since EQ as far as i can remember. The "global" in global cooldown stritcly means a universal cooldown seperate from ability specific cooldowns. That is what it meant then, and that is exactly what it means now.

Where did you find this information @exeeter702? Read my post on the first page. To my knowledge, ESO has *never* had a GCD. This may have changed recently, and I am open to that possibility. Did you test this?

I believe you are both basically saying the same thing, he just insists on using the term "GCD" for some reason.

If there is a GCD, but

- light attacks are off it
    - bashes are off it
    - ultis are off it
    (which is basically what he is saying)

...then its technically the same thing as abilities, light attacks, bashes and ultis each having their own local CD, which is what you are saying.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    google: macro slice, lag, animation cancelling
  • Itoq
    Itoq
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I do know is that the ESO game client will not accept any keystroke macro, or Lua script, that I have defined and bound to a key on my Logitech G502 mouse. The keybinding interface only recognizes 5 mouse buttons, regardless.

To make a macro work, with games and generally speaking, there usually has to a (very small) delay between the keystroke inputs. That delay can be cushioned to account for occasional increases in client and server side lag issues.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer is simple: Being a warden :#
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    The global cooldown for skills is around 0.7 seconds, so its entirely possible to get ambush, light attack, and surprise attack in under a second.

People need to not be so quick to assume that the people killing them are doing so by cheating.

Excuuuuse me! The developers of the World of Warcraft invented the Global Cooldown, or so I was informed by a veteran player after I had begun to play the game. I even wrote Lua code to maintain an add-on for it. In WoW, a Global Cooldown (acronymn GCD) which follows using each and every ability/spell, by default, has the same time span of 1 second. It prevents players from spamming them, i.e., from repeatedly hitting the key to which an ability/spell is bound -- or just holding the key down -- to use it in rapid succession. The GCD applies to all classes except the Warrior -- since there is no benefit to spamming a Warrior ability, they need no cooldown. There are a few abilities among other classes which have no effect upon combat, so they also are not followed by a cooldown. That said, many WoW abilities/spells are followed by a cooldown that is longer than the GCD, which is simply a default value.

In other words, none of the varying values that players continually attribute to The Elder Scrolls Online "Global Cooldown" (acronym GCD) for skills constitute a global cooldown. Whether there is a truly global cooldown remains unclear. Personally, I've begun to doubt that there is one in TESO. Instead, there are cooldowns of various lengths that follow using one or more specific abilities/spells. I'm reasonably certain that there is no cooldown that follows using many abilities.

On the other hand, if TESO does have an actual default Global Cooldown, then all of the time-spans that have been attributed to it cannot be correct, and maybe none of them are. What is it about "global" that so many players apparently don't understand?

Hudson's 3rd Law of Language: over time, jargon tends to become meaningless mind-mush even for the cognoscenti.

There is a universal cooldown that governs when you are able to use an ability after a previous one. There are plenty of ui addons that display this in real time. Blocking, dodge rolling and bashing are off the gcd. Light attacks and bar swap are akin to white attacks from traditional mmo combat. They occupy an inactive space in between the gcd but not entirely off of it like the actions mentioned above.

You can spin it any way you want.. the term has been used since EQ as far as i can remember. The "global" in global cooldown stritcly means a universal cooldown seperate from ability specific cooldowns. That is what it meant then, and that is exactly what it means now.

Where did you find this information @exeeter702? Read my post on the first page. To my knowledge, ESO has *never* had a GCD. This may have changed recently, and I am open to that possibility. Did you test this?

Anyone with reflexes greater than that of a deceased goldfish can block cancel a skill and then spam it again only to find that it won't go off again for a fixed period of time. This is not new, else anyone with a 3 line script could pull 300k burst and solo the world.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone with reflexes greater than that of a deceased goldfish can block cancel a skill and then spam it again only to find that it won't go off again for a fixed period of time. This is not new, else anyone with a 3 line script could pull 300k burst and solo the world.

That's not a GCD tho. That's a skill cooldown. Not global.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

No one is arguing that light attacks don't operate on a seperate queue. Nor does anyone care how you feel about the unofficial naming conventions used by players to describe game mechanics. If all you have left is to nitpick word choice, just let the thread die and argue with yourself in a mirror for identical results. This whole discussion is about skills. Look again at the title of the thread.
    Edited by theamazingx on July 14, 2017 2:03PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one is arguing that light attacks don't operate on a seperate queue. Nor does anyone care how you feel about the unofficial naming conventions used by players to describe game mechanics. If all you have left is to nitpick word choice, just let the thread die and argue with yourself in a mirror for identical results. This whole discussion is about skills. Look again at the title of the thread.

It is not nitpicking about word choices. There is a big difference between a truly global cooldown, and any other kind.

And before you criticize, better read the whole conversation you were adding to, not just the thread title. It is about two players discussing exactly whether there truly is a global cooldown or not.
    Edited by Sharee on July 14, 2017 4:39PM
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Macros and or CE...don't let them tell you anything else.

Edited by Vizier on July 14, 2017 4:35PM
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DeHei wrote: »
    Heated night, Blue and Yellow really pushing back Red for the first time in the month campaign..But i keep coming accross a problem that other players are dealing more damage to myself than i can heal or deal back.
    How is any of this possible? 5 separate skills all in under a second!
    Have they disabled animations? Is it an exploit? Please someone help because this is just frustrating...

Screenshot of what im on about:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Kpc4phkAW9dWhfa2tpM3NZalU/view?usp=sharing

Its possible for example do this with magicka build and staff attack:
    heavy attack from firestaff, then cast a skill without instant impact, light attack and skill with instant impact.. maybe you have 1-2 proccsets and you can reach 6x damages incoming at same time. When you dont dodge you get blown away. A short lag is enough that you cant do anything against that mechanic.

This was VERY typical on the old bow,
    altemriel wrote: »
    google: macro slice, lag, animation cancelling

I assure you it's a well promoted game "feature"! ;) Makes combat fast paced and fun!

Bugger.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭

It is not nitpicking about word choices. There is a big difference between a truly global cooldown, and any other kind.

And before you criticize, better read the whole conversation you were adding to, not just the thread title. It is about two players discussing exactly whether there truly is a global cooldown or not.

You know as well as I do that "global" just means it's not individual from skill to skill. And just a note, yes, ultimates function the same as any other skill in that respect. There is no mystery here.

Let's just break it down, nice and simple.

Every single active skill will start the global skill cooldown on use. During that cooldown, no skills or light attacks can be done. Blocking and/or bashing, or barswapping, will interrupt the skill animation, which is helpful for combat responsiveness and for a few skills where the animation lasts slightly longer than the G(S?)CD, but does not impact the cooldown. Light attacks have their own cooldown, but it's shorter than the skill cd so it rarely comes into play. Light attacks can be interrupted part way through their animation (not immediately) by a skill on go off. Tada, light-weaving. So you have an LA cooldown that doesn't matter, a bash cooldown that doesn't matter, and a universal skill cooldown that does matter. Hopefully you can understand why a universal skill cooldown that functions in the same way as the GCD in other games and defines the maximim pacing of any damage rotation is commonly referred to as a "Global Cooldown".

Functionally speaking, light and heavies are just a modifier to whatever skill you interrupt them with, and block/bash are just utility actions like roll that bypass the cooldown for responsiveness sake, but don't negate it.
    Edited by theamazingx on July 14, 2017 5:04PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know as well as I do that "global" just means it's not individual from skill to skill. And just a note, yes, ultimates function the same as any other skill in that respect. There is no mystery here.

Every single active skill will start the global skill cooldown on use. During that cooldown, no skills or light attacks can be done. Blocking and/or bashing, or barswapping, will interrupt the skill animation, which is helpful for combat responsiveness and for a few skills where the animation lasts slightly longer than the G(S?)CD, but does not impact the cooldown. Light attacks have their own cooldown, but it's shorter than the skill cd so it rarely comes into play. Light attacks can be interrupted part way through their animation (not immediately) by a skill on go off. Tada, light-weaving. So you have an LA cooldown that doesn't matter, a bash cooldown that doesn't matter, and a universal skill cooldown that does matter. Hopefully you can understand why a universal skill cooldown that functions in the same way as the GCD in other games and defines the maximim pacing of any damage rotation is commonly referred to as a "Global Cooldown".

Functionally speaking, light and heavies are just a modifier to whatever skill you interrupt them with, and block/bash are just utility actions like roll that bypass the cooldown for responsiveness sake, but don't negate it.

Global cooldown is called global because it affects everything. There is no such global cooldown in TESO.

As for the rest of your post, you could have saved yourself all that typing if you just read the thread first, it is all explained very well in post #3.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭

Global cooldown is called global because it affects everything. There is no such global cooldown in TESO.

As for the rest of your post, you could have saved yourself all that typing if you just read the thread first, it is all explained very well in post #3.

You know you can just look at the quote chain, right? I guess not.

This started because someone got upset at the use of "global skill cooldown" and "global light attack cooldown" in the same post as if it were some unacceptable abuse of language. Someone responded to clarify how the phrase "Global Cooldown" is commonly used in the context of this game. First guy held fast to his opinion, and I responded because I felt their semantics argument only served to muddle the original point, that skills do in fact have a fixed cooldown. Then you chimed in, acting like there were arguing over the actual mechanic in the game, not the arbitrary label chosen by players. Did you really not read the whole conversation?