Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Picking Up Lower Level Equipment?

sf37
sf37
My main character is CP 220. I was playing this morning, and while searching urns, etc., I noticed that some of the things I grabbed out of them were CP 140. I think everything that was CP 140 was medium armor. I've never had this happen before - everything I've picked up has been CP 160. Is this just a glitch? Does it have anything to do with my crafting levels? My clothing is at 36, but I've spent no skill points to be able to craft better stuff (yet.) I've always picked up stuff that has been my level, though.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the stuff of no value and they didn't find it necessary to adjust them when they changed the level cap. They're honestly not worth picking up, they sell for zero gold and they give next to no inspiration when you deconstruct them.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• sf37
    sf37
    Danksta wrote: »
    I think it's the stuff of no value and they didn't find it necessary to adjust them when they changed the level cap. They're honestly not worth picking up, they sell for zero gold and they give next to no inspiration when you deconstruct them.

Possibly. I pick them up to deconstruct for the materials + build up my crafting skills. Every little bit helps.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legerdemain and World items have gone back and forth on worthiness to decon. Initially, they were the same as any other gear, then they went 10% and not mats returned. But now it appears that some give regular amounts of Inspiration on decon. However the 0 Value items should not be worth deconning under any means. Those that have gold values close to Mob Loot might be worth, but if they are today, they won't be next month, but perhaps the month after. And, the patch notes never really tell us.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Could this have been a case where you looted a chest that was previously opened by another player, and you simply collected what they left behind? That happened to me the other day.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • sf37
    sf37
    Kaymorolis wrote: »
    Could this have been a case where you looted a chest that was previously opened by another player, and you simply collected what they left behind? That happened to me the other day.

No, that has happened before on other lower level characters - and I'd pick up CP lvl equipment. These weren't chests though where I was getting the lower level stuff - it was mostly urns.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    My character is in the 300's and I have maxed crafting. I still pick up worthless 140 CP items when I'm out scouting the area. I only pick up items that I feel I might be able to decon and get decent items out of. I used to pick up every single thing to decon to level though.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • sf37
    sf37
    Idylliqe wrote: »
    My character is in the 300's and I have maxed crafting. I still pick up worthless 140 CP items when I'm out scouting the area. I only pick up items that I feel I might be able to decon and get decent items out of. I used to pick up every single thing to decon to level though.

That's why I try to pick up nearly everything - to decon and build up my crafting. I didn't level up my crafting earlier; I only started really trying to level it up once hitting CP level.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a good advice ....cp90-140 are the most useless container trash to find around, and deconstructing these give little to no inspiration. It's useless to the point that level of the items no longer matter either, and if you truely want to lvl up crafting fast, go grind a dungeon or delve, then deconstruct all your loot from there.

body-containers > barrels & crates
  • Rahotu
    Rahotu
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Legerdemain and World items have gone back and forth on worthiness to decon. Initially, they were the same as any other gear, then they went 10% and not mats returned. But now it appears that some give regular amounts of Inspiration on decon. However the 0 Value items should not be worth deconning under any means. Those that have gold values close to Mob Loot might be worth, but if they are today, they won't be next month, but perhaps the month after. And, the patch notes never really tell us.

I still (very rarely) get a style stone from the 0 value items,so if inv constraints allow I decon them just to play the rng wheel of misfortune :)