Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Addressing Blazing Shield changes

GeneralSezme
GeneralSezme
✭✭✭✭
"Templar
Aedric Spear
Blazing Shield (Sun Shield morph): Reduced the amount of damage done by this morph to 33/36/39/42% of the damage absorbed by the shield, down from 50/51/52/53%.
Developer Comments:
Spoilerhide
Blazing Shield builds have proven to be extremely effective due to being able to stack Health to improve both their survivability and damage done. We’ve reduced the effectiveness of this ability so that there is more of an opportunity cost to having so much Health.
"

This is seriously the biggest problem they see in the game? It is already the hardest style to play to get any kills or AP on. The only anti-zerg skill in the game that can only kill anybody if there is no healers around. Having a lot of health does not mean you are a tank, there are a lot of unkillable tanks running around with less health, but there is no outrage there because just about everyone benefits from that, but the 1% of people who benefit from Blazing Shield builds are being made even harder to play because the 99% of zerglings on the forums complain about it.

Just about every decent players understanding of blazing shield is that it is an anti-zerg skill and people that are attacking them in large numbers should die in theory. In reality the more people on us the less damage we do because Breath of Life and Healing springs is ridiculously good even with the patch it will still be good.

If zos at least gave people attacking a blazing shield major defile or something I would be happy with that because we do zero damage with the presence of a mindless zerg healer

I also wish ZOS treated this forum like Blizzard forums, as in ignoring people who are whining and listening to those who actually have realistic changes or viewpoints of the game, people like me or Fengrush or Sypher are shunned by Zos for having their viewpoints while people crying here are winning, because if Blizzard did that to Starcraft or World of Warcraft the game would be broken because irrational people come up with irrational changes.
Invictus
Cheese Engine
HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you
Lack of Aoe caps: Prolly bombed u
Neraz Gulio- Stamplar- Former Empress BWB
Paints-Her-Face - prolly painted your face
Zealot of the Great Sun- Blazeplar, frmr Emp Vivec

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Templar
    Aedric Spear
    Blazing Shield (Sun Shield morph): Reduced the amount of damage done by this morph to 33/36/39/42% of the damage absorbed by the shield, down from 50/51/52/53%.
    Developer Comments:
    Spoilerhide
    Blazing Shield builds have proven to be extremely effective due to being able to stack Health to improve both their survivability and damage done. We’ve reduced the effectiveness of this ability so that there is more of an opportunity cost to having so much Health.
    "

This is seriously the biggest problem they see in the game? It is already the hardest style to play to get any kills or AP on. The only anti-zerg skill in the game that can only kill anybody if there is no healers around. Having a lot of health does not mean you are a tank, there are a lot of unkillable tanks running around with less health, but there is no outrage there because just about everyone benefits from that, but the 1% of people who benefit from Blazing Shield builds are being made even harder to play because the 99% of zerglings on the forums complain about it.

Just about every decent players understanding of blazing shield is that it is an anti-zerg skill and people that are attacking them in large numbers should die in theory. In reality the more people on us the less damage we do because Breath of Life and Healing springs is ridiculously good even with the patch it will still be good.

If zos at least gave people attacking a blazing shield major defile or something I would be happy with that because we do zero damage with the presence of a mindless zerg healer

I also wish ZOS treated this forum like Blizzard forums, as in ignoring people who are whining and listening to those who actually have realistic changes or viewpoints of the game, people like me or Fengrush or Sypher are shunned by Zos for having their viewpoints while people crying here are winning, because if Blizzard did that to Starcraft or World of Warcraft the game would be broken because irrational people come up with irrational changes.

Yup, ZOS shunned them... right into their head quarters.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This change was needed months ago. Runing 70k health and only spamming one button is not a real playstyle.

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Add me to the list of people who does not mind seeing that terrible play style nerfed.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who does not mind seeing that terrible play style nerfed.

Only Zerglings are the ones that don't like it because it actually makes them think about what they are doing. Ironically zerglings say it is a terrible play style.

Any decent player has no problem with a Blazing Shield.
    This change was needed months ago. Runing 70k health and only spamming one button is not a real playstyle.
    I use all 12 of my skills frequently, if you just spam Blazing shield you will run out of magicka, and you will do no damage because you actually have to wait for damage to be done to the shield for it to do anything.

Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:
    Pact Corsair- Breton Magblade Former Emperor BWB Prolly Stole your scroll and bombed you

• winterbornb14_ESO
    winterbornb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    We don't PvP and never will but this Nerf killed me and my wife's characters. After the Stam Block changes to PvE tanks thanks again to PvP crying we tried the ONLY other tank build as a Duo and now that is dead thanks again to a Nerf from a PvP troll build.

• raknorok
    raknorok
    ✭✭✭

Add me the list of blazers who never asked for anyone else to get nerfed, can care less about other playstyles and was happy doing my thing
    the Rambunctious
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Only Zerglings are the ones that don't like it because it actually makes them think about what they are doing. Ironically zerglings say it is a terrible play style.

Any decent player has no problem with a Blazing Shield.
    I use all 12 of my skills frequently, if you just spam Blazing shield you will run out of magicka, and you will do no damage because you actually have to wait for damage to be done to the shield for it to do anything.

Problem? No problem. I just think it's cheesey and low skill.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea behind the change is that builds with high survival should do less damage. Sound logic.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The truth of the matter is I believe the developers of ESO are not very Tank-leaning in their design philosophy. They've tried to dabble in ways to make them valid but problems keep arising. What surprises me is that they keep finding reasons to nerf Templar - something I do not understand at all. I just saw a Sorcerer killing multiple players and slugging it out with one of the major imperial city bosses and SOLOING it, but they're worried about Blazing Shield, one of the few balanced skills the class actually has.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, why are you scared of someone stacking health? Blazing shield used to dish out 80% max health in dmg. The nerf to 50% aleady made it useless to anyone exept cookie-cutter builds that hit like a wet noodle and do nothing else but stack health (no, these are not those infamous: endless stustain - builds, they got health and that is it)

Really I do not mind the change- i stoped using the skill long long time ago, yet it is a really stupid change. Nerfing a class skill to be out performed by an undaunted skill just shows once more how much Zeni cares.
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    The idea behind the change is that builds with high survival should do less damage. Sound logic.

We have the worst survivabillity in the game, we have to run vampire, we have the worst healing in the game, low resist and 0 crit resistance so if we we are stunned and have no stamina we are dead. Like I said before there are way more unkillable tanks but there is no outrage about that because everyone benefits from that element of the game.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think a much better solution would have been to put diminishing returns into the game like we had when the game was released. There's no cap on the ridiculous amount of damage people can do, but Tanking never seems to get that same treatment. My point of view is this: If someone cranks up the Health slider they should be tougher. If someone cranks up the magic slider they should be more magical. If someone cranks up the Stamina slider they should hit better with weapons. Its pretty straight-forward but the problem is that there is no real parity, and I fear they keep going in an oddball direction for balance.

I say all this but I'm ever-hopeful. I realize that many of the game changes required some serious rethinking of issues. I personally would have handled the Champion system in a completely different way when it was released. I think at its core it is a very cool idea but it is also the root of the strange changes the game has gone through.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is also one of the most expensive skills in the game that does not even benefit from Elemental Expert Star in CP tree, as if the sustain and reduce cost nerf in Morrowind wasn't enough of a nerf to us.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So one of the consquences of the sustain nerfs was that since resource regain was now the same whatever your stats tanks just stacked hp since it wasn't tied to resource regain anymore... and so health stacking is now meta.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

There're so many "terrible" playstyles in Cyrodiil yet they picked the one that was actually somewhat countering zergs and always had extremely clear weaknesses and counters. Funny.
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

There're so many "terrible" playstyles in Cyrodiil yet they picked the one that was actually somewhat countering zergs and always had extremely clear weaknesses and counters. Funny.

Retweet
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:

• raknorok
    raknorok
    ✭✭✭
    If your unhappy about it, put your money where your mouth is, do not log into live, apply for a refund. Take your $60 and go buy another premium game
    the Rambunctious
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know this really sucks, but c'mon. A 10% damage decrease is not going to kill this build, especially in PvE, a tank isn't supposed to even deal lots of damage, the blazing shield damage was just a nice boost to the overall group dps.

It does suck, I play a PvE blazplar. But the thing I will miss the most is just seeing the 50+% in the tooltip, now it will look ugly and bad. Thanks for triggering my OCD ZOS...
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I don't understand: the amount of people saying it was a low-skill build who run around in zergs.

ZERGS ARE LOW SKILL. Good grief.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    Here's what I don't understand: the amount of people saying it was a low-skill build who run around in zergs.

ZERGS ARE LOW SKILL. Good grief.

Real talk here
    Fodore wrote: »
    Yes I know this really sucks, but c'mon. A 10% damage decrease is not going to kill this build, especially in PvE, a tank isn't supposed to even deal lots of damage, the blazing shield damage was just a nice boost to the overall group dps.

It does suck, I play a PvE blazplar. But the thing I will miss the most is just seeing the 50+% in the tooltip, now it will look ugly and bad. Thanks for triggering my OCD ZOS...

It already is being nerfed by sustain nerfs and being it is one of the most expensive skills in the game, and there is no offset to the nerf, reduced cost or any status affect such as a defile to make it more useful. Plus now they are nerfing the damage.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:

• BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Listen up guys, blazing shield got buffed, if you go huh now read this and then decide if it got nerfed or not:
    Front loaded cp give you more damage+ there is now a new cp that increases your direct damage by up to 25% meaning you lose 10% of damage and gain even more due to other changes
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Templar
    Aedric Spear
    Developer Comments:
    Spoilerhide
    "

Nice strawman

How is it a strawman. Your argument is that Fengrush and Sypher are being shunned and not being listened to by ZOS. ZOS lead developers and management spent multiple days listening to and working with these guys. The solutions ZOS came up with may not be exactly with Fengrush was envisioning, but a lot of the changes and nerfs address issues that he's been complaining about for a long time(I don't think he can stream for more than 2 hours without complaining about breath of life.)

Wrobel posts on the forums what 3-5 times a year and almost never responds directly to anything anyone says, but he spent multiple days listening to those guys and responding directly to them. So yeh, compared to the rest of us, they are getting listened to much more.

Note: I don't have an issue with ZOS inviting certain community members to their headquarters. I am just pointing out that it is BS to say that they aren't being listened to just because ZOS isn't doing everything they want exactly how they want.
    Edited by timidobserver on May 22, 2017 5:49PM

• Paraflex
    Paraflex
    ✭✭✭✭
    The shield was a bit to strong in certain situations. Good nerf ! Sorry you have to build another troll type of build.
    Hollykills CP 630 Templar Healer - Ad PS4 Warlord Rank

Max Stam/Mag Dk
    Max Stam Sorc
    Max Stam/Mag NB

Don't care to dps much so I heal.

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the Elder Scrolls Online customer support team. We would like to address the issue you describe with Blazing Shield. Please describe how it relates to Morrowind or the Warden class. If, as it seems, this is solely a Templar issue, please delete the character and explore the benefits of the Warden.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours (4 days).

If your issue has not been resolved, you can respond directly to this email. We look forward to working with you again should you need us!

Thank you for your continued interest and support of Morrowind and the Warden class!

Warm Regards
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • GeneralSezme
    GeneralSezme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paraflex wrote: »
    The shield was a bit to strong in certain situations. Good nerf ! Sorry you have to build another troll type of build.

Not a Troll build its a build that punishes zergs, something zos should be encouraging
    "Templar
    Aedric Spear
    Developer Comments:
    Spoilerhide
    "

Nice strawman

How is it a strawman. Your argument is that Fengrush and Sypher are being shunned and not being listened to by ZOS. ZOS lead developers and management spent multiple days listening to and working with these guys. The solutions ZOS came up with may not be exactly with Fengrush was envisioning, but a lot of the changes and nerfs address issues that he's been complaining about for a long time(I don't think he can stream for more than 2 hours without complaining about breath of life.)

Wrobel posts on the forums what 3-5 times a year and almost never responds directly to anything anyone says, but he spent multiple days listening to those guys and responding directly to them. So yeh, compared to the rest of us, they are getting listened to much more.

Note: I don't have an issue with ZOS inviting certain community members to their headquarters. I am just pointing out that it is BS to say that they aren't being listened to just because ZOS isn't doing everything they want exactly how they want.

It's a strawman because that's not what this thread is about, big community figures didn't have any problem with Blazing shield anyway it was the zerglings who frequent the forum who got this changed.
    Invictus
    Cheese Engine
    HIGH LATËNCY

My bombing videos

Notable toons:

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You get these gems every time someone repeatedly dies to a build and it's not part of the conformist meta.

There is a reason very few people play off specs. It's definitely not because they are easy.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You get these gems every time someone repeatedly dies to a build and it's not part of the conformist meta.

There is a reason very few people play off specs. It's definitely not because they are easy.

I doubt I've ever died to a blazing shield templar. Easy to spot, easy to ignore.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paraflex wrote: »

Not a Troll build its a build that punishes zergs, something zos should be encouraging
    "Templar
    Aedric Spear
    Developer Comments:
    Spoilerhide
    "

Nice strawman

It's a strawman because that's not what this thread is about, big community figures didn't have any problem with Blazing shield anyway it was the zerglings who frequent the forum who got this changed.

I was responding to a post not the thread. The post I responded to says that certain people are being ignored when they obviously aren't.

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have the worst survivabillity in the game, we have to run vampire, we have the worst healing in the game, low resist and 0 crit resistance so if we we are stunned and have no stamina we are dead. Like I said before there are way more unkillable tanks but there is no outrage about that because everyone benefits from that element of the game.

^^ This. Blazing Shield builds are useless on a dueling or 1v1 1v2. I do agree with OP this playstyle is for killing zergs. If zergs have half a brain they'd send one person to kill this guy and continue with their zergging. But of course, when you zerg I suppose you don't need a brain. Lol
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • raknorok
    raknorok
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest gripe is we had a month long PTS and they wait til release day for this. There was no mention of this ever, they say they want to encourage diversity but thats a load of horse crap. Some people play one char, one build exclusively, the counter to this is pretty obvious, rather than stay outside the shield radius to avoid damage, just nerf it so its more easily healed thru.

The dev's are killing everything that made classes different. Luckily the customer service is awesome, It only took about 30minutes for my refund.
    the Rambunctious