The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Light armor Magplar in Morrowind

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Recommendations for those committed to using 5pcs of light?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warmaiden is an interesting set to run
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    with all the light and heavy attacking - elegance...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Elegance if you want to focus on weapon attacks. Maiden is OK as long as you also have regen pieces. Cyrodil's Light + Soulshine might be good if playing ranged support/ganker.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five light with a sweeps build using lightning staff? Elengance. Spinner/ warmaiden
    Five light with a dark flare spam using dual weild? War maiden. Spinner.
    Five light with a fire staff and vamps bane spam? Elegance. Spinner/ warmaiden

Elegance is great, but id not suggest it if main damage will be dual wield. Unless they come up with a light armor mag set one day that increases light /heavies with only dual wield...which they should, increase it by 50% only for dual wield, and make it a light armor mag bonuses set...would be saweet
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever light armor set you choose, remember points into light armor focus and spell resist may actually be viable now
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Five light with a sweeps build using lightning staff? Elengance. Spinner/ warmaiden
    Five light with a dark flare spam using dual weild? War maiden. Spinner.
    Five light with a fire staff and vamps bane spam? Elegance. Spinner/ warmaiden

Elegance is great, but id not suggest it if main damage will be dual wield. Unless they come up with a light armor mag set one day that increases light /heavies with only dual wield...which they should, increase it by 50% only for dual wield, and make it a light armor mag bonuses set...would be saweet

Maybe one day.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    Whatever light armor set you choose, remember points into light armor focus and spell resist may actually be viable now

Yeah I played around with light armor focus on the PTS but only for PVE. Cyro empty the couple of times I visited.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With sharpened/light you'll be at 10k penetration. Up to you if you want to Shell out cash for spinners for an extra 5k pen, but running elemental drain might be cheaper if you are running destro staff.

Then you can run LA kags/rattlecage jewels/weapons. Or go kags/transmutation for balanced stats plus Regen.

Hell any setup pairing with transmutation will win next patch, you always proc that trans buff as a Templar and it has two mag Regen bonuses making it a solid choice for Regen.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    With sharpened/light you'll be at 10k penetration. Up to you if you want to Shell out cash for spinners for an extra 5k pen, but running elemental drain might be cheaper if you are running destro staff.

Then you can run LA kags/rattlecage jewels/weapons. Or go kags/transmutation for balanced stats plus Regen.

Hell any setup pairing with transmutation will win next patch, you always proc that trans buff as a Templar and it has two mag Regen bonuses making it a solid choice for Regen.
    I forget, does Trans have one of those "ally also = caster" tooltips?

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yup! and procs as long as you have missing health. Which is pretty damn common in pvp. So as long as you throw down a purge or have mutagen on you, it will passively proc reducing the need for you to think about procing in in the heat of battle.

and it drops the items in your mail in pvp. Very good set lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yup! and procs as long as you have missing health. Which is pretty damn common in pvp. So as long as you throw down a purge or have mutagen on you, it will passively proc reducing the need for you to think about procing in in the heat of battle.

and it drops the items in your mail in pvp. Very good set lol.

Thanks. I've seen it forever, deconned it 1000 times, never considered using it :blush::cold_sweat:

• Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna post sonthin...i get it now, edit so i dont make myself look like an idiot
    Edited by Baconlad on May 20, 2017 1:12AM
  • Reefo
    Reefo
    ✭✭✭
    5 amberplasm
    5 transmutation / lich
    2 bloodspawn
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    why the hell do u want to go light armour in pvp?? magplar has great abilities to gain magica.. nn for light amour here
    Edited by Trashs1 on May 23, 2017 6:51AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    why the hell do u want to go light armour in pvp?? magplar has great abilities to gain magica.. nn for light amour here

light armor is 10% crit, 5000 pen = pretty good. But I personally will continue Heavy meta
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »

light armor is 10% crit, 5000 pen = pretty good. But I personally will continue Heavy meta

LA is better now, but people still one-two shot me in full impen. I might try more heavy myself.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

LA is better now, but people still one-two shot me in full impen. I might try more heavy myself.

thats pretty much the point. a dead templar dont do any dmg/heal/support
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

You can look at resistances CP aswell, it's easy to add +3k with few points
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light Armor Master, that way you can pretend to be in Heavy.
    Edited by SneaK on May 23, 2017 2:04PM
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh...if most light armored templars would learn to use shields, you would find its not that bad.

Heavy armor magplar has a certain kind of defending, one thats become "the" known defense for magplar, that is sword and board and BOL spam. Now that works...but due to the stamina cost doubling of block, it is in theory less effective.

I have been using a 5/1/1 set up on my magplar for the past two months or so. Resto back bar, DW frontbar. Ill tell you that its a much different form of defending than we are used to, i use harness magick on mainbar and try to have it up consistently (which is great because if fighting a magbuild and out of magick i cant just cast harness magick and heavy attacks on resto to regen), and on my backbar i have the usual, purge, focus, flex, mists. For my last slot, i go back and forth between BOL and healing ward, for my ultimate i use the resto heal.

Theres a theory in running light armor with the shields. I have noticed that when i have BOL, i block cast quite a bit more, draining stamina, and under moderate pressure, being in light armor im casting it REALLY often, somtimes spamming it, which is obviously not good for survivability and my resources being drained. When i slot healing ward, im still getting a moderate heal, but my guaranteed 12k max ward when at low health is reducing incomming damage by a HUGE margain, i can cast healing ward, swap bars and cast harness, then continue with my usual DPS rotation. While in heavy armor spamming BOL i cant do that, i spend too much time casting BOL multiple times. Ward and light armor not only give me more damage, but more survivability.

It takes some time to learn, but it is how mag light armor builds were meant to be played.
    This light armor playstyle even encourages damage stack stacking. In my playstyle, im very agressive with my templar, i try to hit damage extremely hard and not let up ever. I dont like going on the defensive as the longer im in it the more my opponent can set up good rotations.

Light armor is deffinetly the way to go this patch and last. We as templar community just need to embrace it a bit more.

Hell i even run divines x7 somtimes XD.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    thx for your statement. since i also play mag sorc im used to play with shields.

i will try it but without hardened ward i canot se how a la magplar can get equal tanky like my mag sorc

ressource sustain istnt such a big deal in ha for my magplar (i run 2 grothars/skoria/ pirat skeli 5 rattlecage 5 lich SnB and lich lightning staff or healstaff)

my playstile is also not main dd or killer. im usually healing/dispelling/ccing until enemies get a bit lower and than i join the fight.

this leads vs not totaly stupid enemies in im often the main target for them. without testing la and the 2 minor shields i feel i can survieve more in ha and give my grp the time to kill them

also idk, my bars ar full.... idk where i could place the 2 shieldskills...
    Edited by Trashs1 on May 24, 2017 5:33AM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Took my light armor back off after 3 battlegrounds matches.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    so still heavy like me?
  • anathosdm
    anathosdm
    ✭✭✭
    my playstile is also not main dd or killer. im usually healing/dispelling/ccing until enemies get a bit lower and than i join the fight.

Elegant way to say radiant spammer :wink:

PS : just here to troll :smiley:
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy seducer and spinners with resto backbar works great for me. Resource management is great. I still find heavy better.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    anathosdm wrote: »

Elegant way to say radiant spammer :wink:

PS : just here to troll :smiley:

haha good one! :)
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, although I think I lasted 4 matches :p

The light armour gameplay with shields is great in ideal circumstances I'm sure, the reality in bgs is different unfortunately. With minimal mobility and the reliance on casted/channeled stuff to do basically any damage at all, you will always be open to incoming damage without shields up at some point. And then it's game over.

Mid and large scale battles in Cyrodiil should be another story however. There you can usually retreat for a couple of seconds to take a breather.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, although I think I lasted 4 matches :p

The light armour gameplay with shields is great in ideal circumstances I'm sure, the reality in bgs is different unfortunately. With minimal mobility and the reliance on casted/channeled stuff to do basically any damage at all, you will always be open to incoming damage without shields up at some point. And then it's game over.

Mid and large scale battles in Cyrodiil should be another story however. There you can usually retreat for a couple of seconds to take a breather.

Light armor is great, but you need to react to every DMG coming in. All those free DMG procs, have no special visual cue that let's you know that you are going to be hit. Just the other night I took DMG in open cyro, and without surprise, 4k viper procs ripped through despite block-shield.

- Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Eh...if most light armored templars would learn to use shields, you would find its not that bad.

Heavy armor magplar has a certain kind of defending, one thats become "the" known defense for magplar, that is sword and board and BOL spam. Now that works...but due to the stamina cost doubling of block, it is in theory less effective.

I have been using a 5/1/1 set up on my magplar for the past two months or so. Resto back bar, DW frontbar. Ill tell you that its a much different form of defending than we are used to, i use harness magick on mainbar and try to have it up consistently (which is great because if fighting a magbuild and out of magick i cant just cast harness magick and heavy attacks on resto to regen), and on my backbar i have the usual, purge, focus, flex, mists. For my last slot, i go back and forth between BOL and healing ward, for my ultimate i use the resto heal.

Theres a theory in running light armor with the shields. I have noticed that when i have BOL, i block cast quite a bit more, draining stamina, and under moderate pressure, being in light armor im casting it REALLY often, somtimes spamming it, which is obviously not good for survivability and my resources being drained. When i slot healing ward, im still getting a moderate heal, but my guaranteed 12k max ward when at low health is reducing incomming damage by a HUGE margain, i can cast healing ward, swap bars and cast harness, then continue with my usual DPS rotation. While in heavy armor spamming BOL i cant do that, i spend too much time casting BOL multiple times. Ward and light armor not only give me more damage, but more survivability.

It takes some time to learn, but it is how mag light armor builds were meant to be played.
    This light armor playstyle even encourages damage stack stacking. In my playstyle, im very agressive with my templar, i try to hit damage extremely hard and not let up ever. I dont like going on the defensive as the longer im in it the more my opponent can set up good rotations.

Light armor is deffinetly the way to go this patch and last. We as templar community just need to embrace it a bit more.

Hell i even run divines x7 somtimes XD.

You're welcome.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to elong for helping me dip my toes in the "waters of light armor".

Thanks for keeping me honest @elong XD. Miss you bud