The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's ridiculous how long it takes to get Mages Guild to 10...

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally think for either both pc and console or just console when you get either mages 10 or so many more books on one character they show the lore books on your map for future characters. Same with skyshards or maybe if you collect all sky shards in a zone they all show on the map for that zone on a future character
    Playing on PS4 NA server and current characters are CP 750

Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magsorc PvP (outdated)
    Lvl 50 EP Wood Elf Nightblade (Currently my crafter)
    Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magplar PvP (outdated healbot)
    Lvl 50 EP Redguard Stam DK PvE (updating)
    Lvl 50 EP Dark Elf Mag DK PvP

All my builds are outdated...I quit for a year lmao

PSN ID: SDL_Griz
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did it once on pc with the add-on so easy when you don't have to look down at a source and can see the lore book getting closer as you approach. Did it on console once bc I made a new character after the transfer without the add-on and it's horrible. Looking down at my laptop then marking the spot on my map and then running around trying to find it is a pain. Getting to the location it is near is the easy part it's running around in that small area that's a pain. After I spent 4 days lvling mage guild 2-3 hours a day I will never do it again it's why my other characters are Stam.

I have no clue what these guys that say they play console can do it in 4 hours that seems really unreasonable. Even if super fast I think 6-8 hours seems more fair it's a grind for sure and really annoying.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on March 27, 2017 4:50AM
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GawdSB wrote: »
    I've finished all of AD, DC, Coldharbour, Eastmarch and Deshaan and still not to 10. It's already ridiculous that we have to run around and find these lorebooks, but to basically make us do every alliance is crazy, especially because I'm on console with no addons.

I'm on Xbox and I have it on 8 of my toons it takes 213 books and you have to complete all the zone books and just pick up a few others if you have good mount speed it should not be that bad it takes about 3-5 hours to get to mage lvl 10
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is really only annoying when you do not quest.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be worth it when it finally happens OP. The long road just makes the first time you drop a Meteor all the sweeter.
  • Ballzy321
    Ballzy321
    ✭✭✭
    Give consoles lorebook add on and I'd be happy. Console struggle is real for mages guild
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thorvarg wrote: »
    At the end of each Alliance you should be close to 10. You should use the Addon "LoreBooks".

I actually didn't hit 10 after doing all three the first time (on Xbox)
    My first character on PC had access to add ons but that's a poor crutch

I had to rely on external websites to find them all on console so playing with a tablet/phone is a bit odd....now I enjoyed doing each area to get the tam achievement but .....perhaps the skill unlocks could progress similar to how the fighters guild progresses and the book gathering would better have aligned if they added spell crafting

Just my opinion @Thorvarg
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Volrion wrote: »
    I'm on console. I've done it three times. Use dulfy maps.

Pretty easy if you break it up over a week or so.

this^^^
    Also, make sure you complete the various categories the Lore books are filed under, because there is a large bonus for completing a "set". That bonus is a HUGE boost to your rank (almost as much as the individual books put together in that series)
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also do the Mage's guild daily for 5 extra points everyday :trollface:
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volrion wrote: »
    I'm on console. I've done it three times. Use dulfy maps.

Pretty easy if you break it up over a week or so.

Pretty much what I did. I went and checked to see if the book was not highlighted in my library, then all it was was just finding the closest location.

From lv1-50, i got lvl5 Mage skill line. It usually takes 5-6hours from there to get 10. If you complete a whole zone, you get a extra boost of Mage skill line exp for completing a zones lore book collection. So it is really important to complete a whole series for a large boost.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on March 27, 2017 1:56PM
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before dailies i would never have rea hed level 10 without the internet. Ive done 2 charachters so far and i hated every single lorebook. Even doing them as guild groups takes too long with the internet.

With ZOS catering to people getting things done quicker, mages guild, crafting and horse training ate imo the worst things after RNG.
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also i used a combo of dulfy plus the eso app the cost 99 cents. Neither was perfect and some still took 10min to find, but using both together fixed a lot of it.
  • thebattlesaintb14_ESO
    Wut? Check every bookcase you see. problem solved.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    Yeah it's a pain but with Google images of lorebook locations it's not hard. Just boring. Did it with another character on the wknd and it took a few hours but well worth it. Also make sure you finish the mages guild quest line.
    Mages questline doesn't actually increase guild level though does it? Just gives you two skill points???
    It kinda does and kinda doesn't. The quests themselves don't count, but each quest rewards you with a lorebook that you can't get otherwise. So completing the questline does contribute indirectly.

And then the dailies, of course. Each completed daily quest is worth the equivalent of 2 books.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood how people can argue in favor of finding lorebooks. Its tedious and annoying. I agree if you find all the books in your home faction you should be at 10.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've trained 3 chars and I'm at my 4th. I can confirm that leveling mages guild takes the books found in 10.5 zones, meaning one full alliance, Coldharbour and the first 4 zones from the 2nd alliance, with some also needed from the 5th. Having an addon or at least a guide with screen shots actually helps, but the footwork still takes a lot. The daily public dungeon quests help a bit, but at the end it's still more time effective to just run and find the books together with they sky shards and quests that reward skill points.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have them all from AD, and EP, and only about 15 from DC and almost to 10. It seems to be in line with expectations.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's how much a book awards. Completing a collection gives you 20 points. Really ineffective way to do it. Same for the other lines too: big undaunted achievements like speed run and no death run award 50 points. When I start running the daily pledges on my chars I finish leveling Undaunted in about 6 days. Even more so for fighters guild: just running around the dolmens in a busy zone like Deshaan or Auridon will probably level that in a few hours, both from mobs killed and dolmen clear. The guild dailies are only worth running for the motifs and vendor trash, and only if you are cash trapped :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Kay1
    Kay1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that you have play the game to get benefits. I'm all in for giving you a template of an end game char so you can skip 90% of the games content.

Chilly Mc Freeze, LoreBooks and SkyShards addons, got 300 skill points and Mages Guild to 10 in 2 hours, he feels special because he did it on 10 characters, because that's end game for him.

The Mighty Chilly.
    K1 The Big Monkey
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mages guild dailies can be shared in a group, so you can get all 6 of them done each day. You'll be to Mages guild 10 inside of a week if you have a few friends.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Yes it does.
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look in your achievements and then first complete all the sets you only need one or 2 more books. Then do the sets with 3 or 4 left. You get more XP for completing sets of books!

On Xbox or PS4 you will need to use a smartphone to look up the locations.
    Edited by Curtdogg47 on March 27, 2017 4:37PM
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for ya OP.

I play on PC and have the add-on and it's still a major pain in the butt to get to 10 for meteor etc. My most recent build was a mDK, and I didn't even bother trying to do mage daily quests. 5 points a day is just not worth anyone's time. 15 would be more reasonable. Heh, without the add-on?..I couldn't even imagine.
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on console. No addons.
    I'm on console as well, and my rank just hit 5 yesterday, and I just entered Greenshade in AD. I haven't been to the other faction areas yet.

I would suggest not doing everything so linear, aka, running quest-to-quest. Walk around a bit. Enjoy the scenery. You'll find more lore books than you'll know what to do with.

• Amadis001
    Amadis001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on console, and have had no problem finding lorebooks. I just pick them up when I find them. I've only looked online for lorebook maps a couple of times when I was very close to finishing the zone-specific collections and didn't want to scour an entire zone for one missing book. But I haven't tried to be complete-ist about it (yet). I'm level 8.5-ish, about half-way through Silver.
    // Amadis of Gaul -- DK Nord (Lvl 50 CP 1000)
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    I'm on console. No addons.
    I'm on console as well, and my rank just hit 5 yesterday, and I just entered Greenshade in AD. I haven't been to the other faction areas yet.

I would suggest not doing everything so linear, aka, running quest-to-quest. Walk around a bit. Enjoy the scenery. You'll find more lore books than you'll know what to do with.

I cant see making it past level 6 without intentionally looking for them using a 3rd party app. I made is through caldwell silver on my main, without using an app i made it to level 6 on accident over the course of 2 years.

For those with more than one charachter and have been playing for years i doubt they are interested in stopping to smell the roses.

Also what about making a new charachter for pvp only? You really think i want to beat the game and all its content at the pace of a snail again so i can enjoy a new charachter in cyro?

This thread makes me want to uninstall.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

That's how much a book awards. Completing a collection gives you 20 points. Really ineffective way to do it. Same for the other lines too: big undaunted achievements like speed run and no death run award 50 points. When I start running the daily pledges on my chars I finish leveling Undaunted in about 6 days. Even more so for fighters guild: just running around the dolmens in a busy zone like Deshaan or Auridon will probably level that in a few hours, both from mobs killed and dolmen clear. The guild dailies are only worth running for the motifs and vendor trash, and only if you are cash trapped :)

@Asardes

Actually it's really effective if daily 10 people group and one person grabs their quest ...shares it with others...completes it and the other 9 do the same.

Depending on how long you want to train complete quests you could technically keep going by adding new people who haven't done their daily quests until you get tired of it.

This and doing books was how I got mine with a guild on Xbox one.
  • Entegre
    Entegre
    ✭✭✭
    Game is already too easy. Stop asking for more. Next one will ask "why do I have to level from 1 to 50 just give me 7 more 50 lvl characters when I hit 50."
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to find them for the most part. Keep your eyes open when you quest, do a little deviation on your path from quest A to B to C, explore a little as you go and you'll come across them all. The game is designed basically so that when you're finished with a zone, you will have almost all of the associated achievements completed too, Lore Books included. The trick is to play the game the way development intended to, you'll find you get rewarded for your efforts and time far more than doing it any other way. And such things will not seem so problematic

Really doesn't help people who are trying to level Mages Guild on an alt. In that case, your'e likely not doing much questing, just grinding a character to 50 ASAP and then grinding out Alchemy/Mages Guild/Fighters Guild/Undaunted passives.

I've got no interest in replaying all of the zone quests for the 4th time on a new character I only created because ZOS "balance patches" made my last one obsolete.

The lorebook grind is horrible on console.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entegre wrote: »
    Game is already too easy. Stop asking for more. Next one will ask "why do I have to level from 1 to 50 just give me 7 more 50 lvl characters when I hit 50."

@Entegre
    Mage Guild progress ....on consoles is arguably more challenging than on PC even without add ons. I'd argue that the different user interfaces and access to a browser while playing in addition to optional add ons impact what's considered "too easy"
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 27, 2017 5:15PM