The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

So how do you like housing?

vamp_emily
vamp_emily
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
My house is empty, but I think I have the best home ever. I got Earthtear Cavern Manor, and it is such a pretty place. The best part is I walk out my front door and I am at my favorite farming spot in Craglorn. :)

I purchased it un-furnished for a few reasons. I wanted to spend time making it look nice, and another reason is I don't have storage to tuck away all the things I didn't want to leave laying around. We kind of had a disagreement in guild chat. Some said "Get the furnished home", and some said "No, get the unfurnished one" and then the debate began.

I think housing is nice in away. It is a safe spot for me, a place I can go just to feel relaxed. I think my first item I get for the house is going to be a crafting station.

Any tips for a new home owner would be appreciated. :)

If you want a friend, get a dog.
AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• flizomica
    flizomica
    ✭✭✭✭
    i love it, i spent all night decorating a friend's house, as mine is about as finished as it will ever be

i just wish i could place items in a home i have furnishing permissions for (but dont own)
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I despise it.

Mounts are more useful than Housing. Aside from the free apartment you get from finishing the Quest, there's really no reason to get involved in it IMO.

If ZOS brings Housing up to par with... every other MMO on the market, then I may reconsider my position (and without charging an exorbitant price in Crowns for the plethora of missing features that every other MMO includes free of charge...). But until that time, Housing is useless.

Just my opinion.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compete waste of gold/cash no matter which way you go for it!
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love housing, actually it completely changed my ESO experience from truly wonderful to even better :)
    Even now when the big first rush is over and dust settles a bit I still am enjoying building and decorating - it gives so much room for creativity and that's what I see when I go around visiting others homes as well.
    My friends list grew and got really meaningful now, housing is just a great way to get a much more insightful impression of the other. Every home and how it's arranged is an expression of the owner on a way it wasn't possible to get previously.

Of course I hope this is not the end of it and we'll get more options to interact with the environment we build for ourselves and each other, creativity will surely follow on our part. (I don't go into details, there are many other topics do that.)

Greetings from Mournoth Keep :)

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ynimma wrote: »
    Every home and how it's arranged is an expression of the owner.

If you judge a person by their home and how it is arranged, I think it is safe to say you would think I have good taste and I am little empty inside. :) Or you might leave my house thinking I am poor and don't have any gold. :) I've had the house for a week and there is NOTHING in it.

One thing I don't like about housing is, when It is time for trials i think my guild is hiding in their houses and don't want to come out and play.

• Maff
    Maff
    ✭✭✭
    It's not terrible but it doesn't feel like much thought or effort went into it.
    I bought a house and spent lots of time farming materials and blueprints but hit the item cap limit before it was anywhere near what I wanted it to be (unsubbed, so only 300 items).
    There is too much grind involved when I would prefer to construct all my furnishings myself. The building is the same as the inn at the city just outside my house which makes it feel much less special. The perimeter wall covers half of two windows outside where it joins the building. These issues pile up and made me lose enthusiasm very quickly.

If we were able to construct the building itself with things like walls, doors and roof parts then I would probably still be interested. But as it stands I rarely visit my house anymore and have no motivation to continue trying to make improvements when i'm severely limited by an item cap.
  • Pathemavan
    Pathemavan
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it, quite a bit. No, there's no big in game perk for getting involved. It won't make my character stronger or faster or anything like that. But it's fun - that's enough
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely despise it. Housing is a waste of resources and an unnecessary strain on the already stressed servers. Housing offers nothing useful at all - just makes longer loading screens and more crashes. Haven't bothered with the quest - it can stay pinned to the damn wall.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I now have a very tiny prison cell in Vulkhel Guard loaded with jester banners. Good times.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Invested in motifs I did not have when I came back since I only had 1.0 motifs, seems worth it more than a useless cosmetic house imo.
  • AndrewQ84
    AndrewQ84
    ✭✭✭
    Housing is not bad. I like the ridiculous amount of decorations you can put up in your home, but I still wish we had some more things like armour and weapon stands where we can place weapons and armour/clothing from our inventory on them. A lot of the houses are not bad looking ether. Some of them are really nice. I am particularly fond of the Cyrodilic Jungle House. I am, however, waiting out on the island home. That thing looks awesome. On the other hand, some of them not so much. I believe it was the Argonian homes, but they look like piles of poo. I know they are supposed to be mud homes, but still. I wish there were some little extra features though. Being able to place items from my inventory onto things would be nice. Maybe place some of those poison bottles that my assassin uses on his nightstand. Maybe have one or two homes that you can build from the ground up like in Hearthfire from Skyrim. That would be cool too.

Overall though, I like the housing. It is fun to play Elder Scrolls Online: The Decorator Edition.
    Sa'hira of the Shadows, DC Nightblade and ruins explorer extraordinaire.

"May your day be awesome and full of Bacon!!!"

- Me
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a house outside of Riften with 4 items in it that I haven't been in since I bought it.

There is ZERO purpose to housing at the moment. There is no reason for ME to visit my own house and even less reason for others to visit.

I'm hoping some day that changes.

Edited by Bouldercleave on March 24, 2017 3:20PM
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how I like housing as I have not done anything with it yet. The only perk I see for me would be to have a crafting station handy but even then it's not that big of a deal. I am passing on housing for now but who knows it may appeal to me down the road. And as for these "Master Writs" that came with housing. I am sitting on about 30 of them and have no desire to do them.

Even though I have been playing for over 2 years I still find plenty to do in ESO. All I really want is more zones and a better PvP experience with no lag.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely despise it. Housing is a waste of resources and an unnecessary strain on the already stressed servers. Housing offers nothing useful at all - just makes longer loading screens and more crashes. Haven't bothered with the quest - it can stay pinned to the damn wall.

Why do I feel that you watch youtube videos of some popular streamer and then come to the forum and say things like "the game sucks" or "the game is dead and nobody is playing", just because someone else said it. To me you are very one sided for some reason, not sure why because you haven't even completed the quest.

Also, stress on the server? I'm sure someone told you that too. I might be wrong but I'm sure these houses are not on the same server, so who knows it could be LESS stress on the server.

Edited by vamp_emily on March 24, 2017 3:37PM

• Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »
    Compete waste of gold/cash no matter which way you go for it!

at all its big gold sink yeah? rich people in game will buy it for fun, doesnt matter if it is usable to something or no, people who want will buy it also just for achievement poiont/titles if not for fun if they dont care about gold
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having fun with it.

@vamp_emily
    I also bought earthtear. I haven't done much to it yet but you're welcome to have a look. Maybe we can give each other ideas.

I'm in Friendly Dungeon runners, I'll PM you later if you want to look around
    Beta tester November 2013
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to housing, it's a fluff activity I enjoy in most games, sadly ZOS implementation is not fun, the crafting is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over convoluted and should have used the existing crafting mechanics for race selection and the vast number of variations of item recipes you need to collect to get the one you want is simply beyond tedious.

The fact that in-house crafting items are totally dependent on RNG Writs simply kills one of the main aspects I was looking forward too.

Executive summary: a longed-for feature stillborn due to ZOS deciding to make it into a long grind and Store-driver rather than a fun activity.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For those who are disappointed.

This is just the beginning of housing, keep giving ESO your feed back. Let them know what you want and who knows in the future you might get it. If I recall correctly, they didn't have enough time to do everything this last update. I'm sure, just like everything else in the game, housing will become better.

• ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    ynimma wrote: »
    Every home and how it's arranged is an expression of the owner.

If you judge a person by their home and how it is arranged, I think it is safe to say you would think I have good taste and I am little empty inside. :) Or you might leave my house thinking I am poor and don't have any gold. :) I've had the house for a week and there is NOTHING in it.

One thing I don't like about housing is, when It is time for trials i think my guild is hiding in their houses and don't want to come out and play.

"Judging" is quite an extreme word here and housing is surely not exclusive to give the impression :)
    I would rather say housing adds some more insight to understand someone better (not because it's a expectation at all).
    And I love the "nothing" as well, it's surely a valued quality in my life! :)

On another hand I see this "housing has no purpose"-kind of approach a lot and not just on housing. I guess it's related to the good old tear in the veil between Nirn and Oblivion which is whether we have a game with fully hand held contents and/or a sandbox.
    For me the purpose of anything in game is to have fun. And personally I'm happy with ESO breaking up the anyway beautifully crafted hand-holding paradigm and opening up some space for sandboxing. Housing here is surely a sandbox element and it'll be what we make of it while it's not a necessary thing, nothing to "achieve" here really and the same time ESO can be played like any regular MMOs for "metered achievement" as well.
    I guess those willing to take on a bit of sandboxing are having a blast already with housing...
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you despise housing (and won't even try it by taking the first quest), that says more about YOU than it does about Housing.

I personally love it, and am playing way more than I used to. I'm a little impatient about making my house look the way I want it to, but I'll get there eventually. And they WILL be adding more features over time to make it even more fun.

If the only reason you play is to bash monsters on the head, then I get it, but you're missing out on many other layers ESO provides.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got the free apartment.

Placed a table and 4 stools. Everytime I clicked on a piece of furniture got an addon. Will probably never go back to it.

I will admit the first game I played with housing, was EQ2. Right from the start I tried making that apartment the best place to be and went there often. One cause you had to pay rent, but also it was a new feature other MMOs at the time didn't have. now though unless they do something that really stands out it was more of a waste of development time.

I'm sure eventually they will allow you to display armor sets, or have pets roaming around you don't currently have showing, or maybe like a "barnyard" where you extra mounts are roaming. The coolest would be your other characters lounging around.
  • flizomica
    flizomica
    ✭✭✭✭
    why cant the purpose of housing just be for fun? :pensive:
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have my house yet, only the free apartments (only 80k left to go though!)

But so far I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm slowly collecting items, plans and materials and it's a nice surprise whenever I get something I wanted, or can use. I'm looking forward to dropping everything I have so far into the house and then gradually adding to it.

I think it helps that I wasn't expecting much from housing, especially after it came out that there would be no storage, so anything I do like about it is a bonus. Whereas other people seem to have expected it to be amazing, for reasons that have never been clear to me (even with storage it's still just a space to dump stuff and then look at it) so it's not surprising they're disappointed.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm really enjoying housing. It gives me something to think about and tinker with when I'm bored.

I'm on my third Manor and this time the building really screamed a certain theme at me. This has been by far the most enjoyable decorating I've done so far and means that I will almost certainly re-do both of the other two.

However atm I'm not getting the ideas for those, it'll probably come to me at 3am and fill my dreams with delicious planning. :)

A quick peek at the entrance of my present project......

s1j85g.png
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Maff
    Maff
    ✭✭✭
    For those who are disappointed.

This is just the beginning of housing, keep giving ESO your feed back. Let them know what you want and who knows in the future you might get it. If I recall correctly, they didn't have enough time to do everything this last update. I'm sure, just like everything else in the game, housing will become better.

I really hope it does improve, however I doubt they will ever budge on that item limit for people like me who don't (and won't) subscribe to plus. If that's the case then housing will always be somewhat disappointing regardless of what they add as I will always have to sacrifice some furnishings just to fit new items in.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My house is empty, but I think I have the best home ever. I got Earthtear Cavern Manor, and it is such a pretty place. The best part is I walk out my front door and I am at my favorite farming spot in Craglorn. :)

I purchased it un-furnished for a few reasons. I wanted to spend time making it look nice, and another reason is I don't have storage to tuck away all the things I didn't want to leave laying around. We kind of had a disagreement in guild chat. Some said "Get the furnished home", and some said "No, get the unfurnished one" and then the debate began.

I think housing is nice in away. It is a safe spot for me, a place I can go just to feel relaxed. I think my first item I get for the house is going to be a crafting station.

Any tips for a new home owner would be appreciated. :)

So far i am thrilled with housing. its been loads of fun and i am not even close to "done" or even close.

i went with the multiple medium and small (and the easy micro) houses myself. that got me a lot of different locations, styles and so on as well as very good return for my gold. I plan to wait until Morrowind before going for the mega-house. by then i may have my current ones where i want them.

best tip i can give you on housing is don't get bogged down in grinding for mats. Do whatever content you want and use gold and guild stores to gather mats as needed. Its a lot more fun and very efficient IMO. I have crafted a lot of pieces, added decks to Sleek Creek and Velothi Reverie and the master writs have given me good workshops for both my use and my guildies as well.

To me, it seemed lighting was one of the major early key decisions. What you choose to use a primary lighting sets the core mood quite a bit IMo and from there the rest of the decor shapes up. Weddingh lanterns, torches, colovian projection stones etc all give very different feel and vibes that the rest can play off of.

So far it has been fun... now hoping for more.

Well worth the investment in gold and time IMO.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    best tip i can give you on housing is don't get bogged down in grinding for mats.

I'm a little different than most, I like grinding :)

I do have a few questions. Is there a weekend vendor that shows up in coldharbor? I think I heard someone talking about it. If so, where are they located? Do they sell good stuff? Is it expensive?

Edited by vamp_emily on March 24, 2017 4:28PM

• Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    I love housing but admit I am getting frustrated with it. Invisible ceilings inside homes (Humblemud, Ample Domicile, Hammerdeath to name a few), and lack of variety. I have the gold right now to buy a bigger home, I keep teleporting around to look at them and nothing strikes my fancy. Then going questing and seeing how many houses and places are locked I sit there and go will this become a home, will it go crown store or can I buy it with gold, etc? Lighthouses, towers, locked doors in caves, etc. I'd love to see more variety.

Another is the ingredients for furniture, like Heartwood. It's in everything and never in a small amount. The gating of the ingredients has made it so I don't want to buy another home if it's gonna be so damn hard to get it decorated. We really do need more ways to obtain them, maybe from refining or deconstructing cause at this point, it's looking like I will only be able to rely on the vendors to decorate.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have pretty much finished my vision for my first house.. it is getting kind of errr snug in there now. My first house is a snugpod.

It is an outlet for creativity and it has nothing to do with gameplay, it is basically as if you are playing a different game whille you are in there.

It would be 100 times better if I could actually use the door of my house without an infinite loadscreen.. fix that!, seriously.

I am currently swimming in gold from selling master writs so I am looking to buying a second house.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have free room, since it was a quest. Didnt bother at all since there is no stash added by housing.